Saturday, August 24, 2013

It's a thin line between love and hate

Well hello there.  It's just me, your friendly neighborhood blogger.  Don't mind me, I'm just having a good old fashioned anxiety attack.  Meh, attack isn't even the word - episode is more like it.  I'm having an anxiety episode; on vacation no less.

We've spent this past week in Hilton Head and it's been wonderful.  The resort is great, the weather is great, the food has been great and if you could see Sofia swimming, you'd bust open from happiness.

So why the anxiety?  We're on vacation, it makes no sense.  That's the funny thing about anxiety; everything in your life could be great and you could still be wide awake and not sleeping because your brain won't turn off and you can't calm down.  Wanna hear how ridiculous it is this time?  Sure you do.

TV.

I'm having anxiety over TV.  That's how stupid anxiety is; you'd think I could be freaking out over the economy or the environment or something worth freaking out over, but nope.  This little episode is brought to you by TV.

Specifically, my daughter watches too much TV and it's my fault because I let it happen.  I'm the one who downloaded PBS Kids to the iPad.  I'm the one who allowed her to have Drew's old phone and had him put all the episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba on it.  It is my fault that the kid wakes up and says "May I see PBS Kids on the iPad?"  "Mommy, want Sofia's phone."  That was all me, and I'm kicking myself now because I can't sleep.

See, she wakes up before I do and on the weekends, Drew gets up with her so I can 'sleep in.'  I put that in quotes because it's not like I really sleep, because mere seconds after the both of them are up, I hear either the big TV, or the iPad or her phone, showing whichever episode of Gabba or Martha Speaks or whatever movie he's put on for her.

I tell myself that I can't complain, that I should relish the few extra minutes I get to 'sleep.'  But I don't, because all I can think about is how the kid doesn't freaking blink when she's watching TV.  How her brain is turning to mush, how she's not being engaged, how she's probably being over-stimulated and of course, how I'm being selfish because I'm choosing to sleep when I should be up and out of bed and reading to her, or playing blocks with her, or coloring, or playing with her dollhouse, anything besides letting her watch TV.


And that's why I can't sleep - because I know that she'll wake up before me, that Drew will wake up with her and before she even knows what's happening, she'll have her phone in her hand and Yo Gabba Gabba all cued up.  And it's my fault.

I mean, it's not 100% my fault - Drew could not give her the phone or the iPad.  He's her parent too; he makes that choice too.  It's just that he doesn't see the problem with her watching TV.  He doesn't think it's that big a deal.  But DUDE, the kid doesn't BLINK.  And there is no study anywhere that says that screen time is good for you.  

I searched Google Images for 'kids watching tv' and the results
were depressing.  Nothing but a bunch of little zombie kids.  It didn't do much for my anxiety.
And then of course there's the accompanying article that came 
with this fun little image.

Yet, we're the ones who just bought a bigger TV less than a month ago.  And I'll be the first one to put a movie on for Sofia when I have to do laundry because there is literally no clean underwear in the house or I have to get dinner started because Drew will be home any minute.  I'm sure there are two-year-olds out there who can entertain themselves with books and toys and whatnot, but my kid is not one of them.  I can set her up with her markers and paper and she'll play with them - for ten seconds.  Again, maybe not all toddlers are that way, but kid has the attention span of a gnat.  So, if I don't want her watching TV I have to stop what I'm doing and find another activity that might engage her, which if successful, will buy me about three minutes.

I've also tried to have her help me.  I try to get her to fold laundry with me, which is a big fat joke.  I'll give her a pile of washcloths, hoping that will occupy her long enough that I can get a few things folded.
Minute one:  I can get the diaper covers and inserts sorted so I can 
stuff the diapers.
Minute three:  It's way more fun to knock over the piles and take the 
inserts out of the diapers and then run away.

It's the same thing at dinner time.  I'll pull her tower over to the sink and turn on the water, hoping that'll give me a few minutes to get stuff started.  Except, we have one of those nozzle faucets and Sofia can pull it out, which means water all over her, the tower and the floor, so I have to stop and clean it up before she slips in it.  Then we try non-water activities like sorting beans in a muffin tin, until she dumps the beans all over the floor and I have to clean it up, and aren't I supposed to be making dinner?  

So I give up and hand over her phone and she happily runs to the sofa, plops down and zombies out.  And I hate myself.

This is from the blog Daughter of the Sun and this is her daughter.
The caption says "Where would you rather have your child? In a field of 
wild plants and flowers or in front of a television screen?"

I don't know that I'd have the courage to live like they do, but I sure do love the idea.
I mean, I'd love to live off the grid and be one with nature for real, but seriously? 
My first thought is 'Nope! I'd get way too hairy, way too fast.'
And that's the truth.
But for real, I'm in love with that blog.

I flirt with the idea of doing a 30-day TV cleanse.  No TV or iPads or phones, for any reason, at all.  Nothing.  I don't know how I'd get anything done, but I'd sure love to try.  I've gone a day without TV and I'm embarrassed to say that I was sweating by the end of the day, telling myself that we went the whole day without TV, it's ok to let her watch one show.  It's hard work being the sole entertainment for an active toddler, and not that I'm not up for it, but geez.  We play dollhouse, we play blocks, we read, we eat, we go outside, we chase, we look for bugs, we go inside, we change diapers, we color, we ride the tricycle, we ride in the toy car, we play with stickers.... and I look at the clock and two hours have gone by.  There are eight more hours to go.  Then there's tomorrow, and it's all the same books and toys and games and stickers and how in the world are you supposed to make them fresh and interesting?

I read the stuff that says your kids should be able to entertain themselves, but I'm not entirely sure they're talking about toddlers, or that they're talking about toddlers who are only children and the mom stays at home, because expecting Sofia to play by herself while I'm in the next room and I'm waaaay more interesting than anything she's got going on?  It doesn't happen.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is.  I just know that it's six in the morning on my vacation and I can't sleep because I don't want her watching TV tomorrow and I'm most certainly going to be made out to be the bad guy because of it.  I just loooove being Bad Cop, btw.  It makes me so proud to hear Drew all loud and over-dramatic going, "NO SOFIA.  YOU CAN'T WATCH TV BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER DOESN'T WANT YOU TO."  I feel so good when I get the privilege of whisper fighting with Drew and it's so much fun to be like "Turn off the GD tv!  Be a fucking parent!"  Oh yeah.  Those are the moments I look forward to.  

*sigh*

Well anyway, I got this off my chest.  And I'm sure I'm going to get an earful when a certain someone reads it, but whatever.  I need to speak to my people and I need to hear from you:  Have you ever done a TV cleanse?  How hard was it?  Did your kid get the DTs from withdrawal?  Would you die without TV?  Because don't get me wrong - I love my programs.  Supernatural is my favorite show and I love zoning out at the end of the day with some good trash tv - Million Dollar Listing New York is a good one.  I love any and all design shows and could spend days watching them, so I'm definitely not on anybody's high horse.  I'm just one addict talking to another.

Ok, I'm going to try and get some sleep so I can get up when Sofia does and try this whole 'standing in a field of flowers' thing.  Wish me luck, and thanks for listening.  You're the best.

Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Meh, I'm reading this on Saturday morning at 7am with my 21month old sitting next to me watching PBSkids on the iPad. I was way against TV, and then reality bitch slapped me and I got over it.

    Honestly - I think it's easier to avoid the TV trap when you have multiple kids to entertain each other. When I watch my friend's kid, the TV stays off and they have fun all day AND I can get things accomplished. When it's Stella and I one-on-one, not so much.

    IMO, if you're needing Sofia to have 20 min 3x/day of screen time so YOU get stuff done (fold laundry, cook dinner, check your blogs, whatever), SO WHAT? She has 1 hr of TV, 3 hrs of naps, 12 hours of night time sleep, and probably 8 hrs of eating, playing, walking, talking, swinging, whatever. I don't think that's a bad ratio at all.

    Just saying - you're not the only Mom who does it. I do with we'd have been more restrictive with our iPad and iPhones (def something I'm working on - that she can't have "MY PHONE!" every time she asks for it)... but I don't think it's the end of the world either.

    Let's just hope that when we have 2 little kids running around they can entertain each other! When I was growing up I was the oldest of 5 kids, and every June we had a TV free MONTH to get us in the habit of using our imaginations and playing outside for the first month of summer break. We got 1 hr of TV/day for the rest of the year, but it was a "reset" for the entire family. I'm still trying to talk my (sports addicted) husband into that for our lives now. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Josey here. Buuuutttt, I am not a mom so take what I think with a grain of salt. If you feel better with having the tv cleanse, then go for it. However, I hope, at some point, you can breathe easier over the whole tv thing. It doesn't sound as though you let her watch 5 episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba in a row. The fact that you are concerned about it and conscious of her screen time is a reflection of your attentiveness and best intentions. It IS hard to be the sole entertainment of a small person whose whole world revolves around you. You deserve 20 minutes to do what you want to do, and you deserve to SLEEP in!! You are cooking another human. Plus, it's vacation, so let Dad put on a show, get an extra 20-30 minutes of rest, then you can get up and be prepared to enjoy your day with your beautiful little fam. Either way you do it...your kid is happy, healthy and loved...you're a rockstar!

      Delete
    2. I agree. More than one kid makes it easier!

      Delete
  2. hi! i think you're okay to worry about it, and okay to do it in the first place (let her watch). mothering sometimes is damned if you do - damned if you don't, and i think you just do the best you can. some days you just have to get stuff done around the house & having her occupied for a few minutes doesn't mean you're a bad mom, or that she's not stimulated the rest of the day (like josey said, the ratio is still good). to be honest, some days i find myself wishing my 15 month old was old enough to be entertained for 0.5 seconds so i COULD get something done without him un-doing it, or hanging off my leg howling to be picked up, or whatevs. somedays i can't wait til he'll sit & watch the ipad for a minute. and somedays we are so busy running errands, going to the park, or library time, or a playdate (best entertainment ever) that i never think "gah! wish you'd watch tv already!"

    so really, there's no advice here, just a pat on the back to say - you're doing a good job trying to figure all this out! and you're not a bad mama, and your darling little girl will grow up to be just fine because you're a mama who prioritizes independent thinking, and respect for others, and healthy eating, and environmental awareness. those are the things that matter. so give yourself a breather - mommy guilt is a real, heavy thing. but let go of it as much as you can and realize you're doing the best you can and you love her, and that's what matters in the end.

    i love your blog! thanks for being so honest with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, our kids are twins separated at birth. My son can't do aaaaaanything without me being RIGHT THERE. And believe me, I encourage independence. But he wants to be RIGHT THERE when I'm cooking, cleaning, sorting, organizing, choosing, deciding, etc. Which is FINE except he wants to HELP and his helping is just aggravating and sometimes I want my 5 minute task to take 5 minutes and not 20 minutes with 10 minutes of clean up tacked on to the end, you know?

    I used to be super against TV until my son actually being interested in it. The really annoying part? Ethan wants me to watch TV with him. I'm like, No way kid! I put the TV on so I DON'T have to be right there with you.

    I don't have any advice, but I think you're a great mom and I think it'll be easier to limit TV when she gets older. Not that she won't want it less, but you can say, Go play with your sister (!!!), or, Go do this or that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD. I could have totally written this post myself. I am so conflicted with the whole TV situation, and Doug thinks I should chill out because our children are brilliant... "Who cares if they watch an hour a day of TV" he's said on numerous occasions. I care damnit... I will say that you're a kick ass mom and Sophia will be amazing, so do sweat the TV issue... easier said than done. Trust me... I know, but it will be all good. PS. I'm beyond stoked you're having another girl. I can't wait to meet the Littlest Miss. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about it too much. As long as it's age appropriate, it's not a big deal. My kids watch TV and play video games, also run, swim, jump, have friends, read, etc. They were/are in daycare where there's no TV so I don't worry about the little they may get in the evening. It must be really hard being the only source of entertainment for your girl all day... Whatever works. Try not to beat yourself up too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even beat myself up anymore. I refuse. With a 4 month old and an (almost) 4 year old, I can't NOT let him watch TV. When I need to go into another room and nurse the baby for the eleven hundredth time (because she gets WAY distracted by anything at this age), I turn on "Jake And The Neverland Pirates" and let him have at it. If it will keep him occupied for a while fine. We also play Legos and do puzzles and other kinds of stuff too. He's in Pre-K all day and he's smart as a whip. I don't think the TV is turning him into mush.

    They may be a small sample size, but there are authors and film directors (Augusten Burroughs and Quentin Tarrentino) who mention their youthful TV watching habits and yet they managed to become creative adults!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is not something to stress about. I have two girls (age 3 & 1/2 and 1 & 1/2) and yes, they entertain each other, but sometimes that can't happen until they calm down with a TV show. Other days, I need the down time to get stuff done. I feel like as long as we get the other important things in - playing, coloring, painting, sorting, puzzles, reading, etc., TV time is not all that bad. We do not allow it an at least an hour before bed, otherwise they are all keyed up and don't sleep well. We also try to limit it to one or two shows - i.e. one episode of Sofia the First or one Caillou (and if I could eliminate him entirely, I'd be happier).
    Just like anything else, everything in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get to watch TV much.... Zoe always wants it with her Yo Gabba Gabba addiction. Her happiness chumps mama's shows. I've never done a cleanse because I was never really bothered by her addiction to the show. Maybe it'd be different if I was still an at home mom? (you get to see the obsession more)

    I don't think it's bad because it isn't like you're allowing Sofia to watch Bad Girls Club or Disney channel (because that channel is getting grown as hell).

    She IS learning while watching those shows. It's teaching our kids words, numbers, etc.

    You're doing a good job girlie. You are a GREAT mom. My advice to you: Don't panic about these statistics so much. They're mostly compiled by people who have an agenda for making you feel shitty.

    P.S. You think you're freaking out now? Wait until Baby #2 comes. You'll be so busy that the few hours of sleep Yo Gabba Gabba gets you will be welcomed. LOL.

    (e-hugs girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. girl please! Jas watches TV a lot and I couldn't be more pleased with how much she learns. Everything she watches is educational, even Yo Gabba Gabba. If I was plopping her down in front of Boys In The Hood that would be a problem but her learning letters and numbers and new songs and asking questions doesn't sound like a problem to me.

    My child can entertain herself. She doesn't NEED the TV but she enjoys it and I love when she's happy and learning.

    I'd never entertain the idea of a TV cleanse unless that damn thing was broken. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jake and I are TV addicts. I say that I don't want my kid to watch TV, but like you said... but that's like me saying "my baby will be perfect". Every mom out there is laughing. Don't be so hard on yourself! Sofia is a smart, amazing little girl, and you did that. Sure she likes TV. So what. She's also smart, adorable and amazing. :) I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have you heard of busy bags? a lot of my home-schooling friends swear by them. check on pinterest. people even have busy bag parties (like tupperware parties) for moms that want more variety to offer their kids. :)

    we used to let my 3 year old watch 30 minutes of tv every night before bedtime. we justified it by having her watch educational cartoons. but when we noticed that she had the attention span of a gnat we did the research and it showed that tv watching could be the problem because of over-stimulation. so now, we've scaled it down to letting her watch it on friday-sunday only.

    i totally sympathize with you. it *is* definitely hard work being the sole entertainment for an active toddler. i would love nothing more than to be able to sit and play with my kids all day, but when i'm trying to fix dinner or do chores, or just have 5 uninterrupted minutes of "me" time, it gets hard to come up with activities that will hold my oldest's attention and i get SO tempted to turn on an episode of super why.

    i hear that having a sibling helps. my youngest is only 1 so i'm holding out for about another 6 months to a year when they can entertain each other a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all: we have the same cloth nappies! (I so need to figure out how to stop the inserts from going all stiff and crinkly...)
    Secondly: I get love-hating the TV. E watches about 3 programs on our Netflix on a regular basis and I hate to have it on for him for so long - especially because he can now ask for which shows he wants to see and knows how to pause them by tapping the space bar. That feels like a failing on my part rather than a developmental milestone for him. But then, I worry less because he *loves* being read to and can sit and play with his toys for ages without needing my input. It's all things in moderation at the end of the day. You still play with her and interact with her - the TV isn't a babysitter for Sofia, so I can't imagine it's really doing her much harm at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything in moderation can be okay, if you allow her to watch in the morning while you rest it's fine. Or choose the times that is best for you and her schedule. One suggestion from a former day care teacher is to start teaching her time, make a clock face with movable arms and and create a schedule from this time to this time we do this activity and if she gets tired/bored redirect her back to activity but show her the clock she will begin to know her schedule and the time. When picking activities do something you'd like to focus on like reading, then the next activity might be something she likes and so on and so forth.

    Let letting her watch T.V. In moderation with other stimulating activities is more normal than you think. With you as her mom, her brain will never turn to mush!

    You're a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can definitely assure you that kids her age entertain themselves--when they have older siblings. When they're the first one, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. stay at home parent = a really, really tough job. I would lose my mind trying to be everything for my daughter 24/7. It exhausts me to do it over the weekend. But I'm lucky, as I can plan some activity since it's just two days. We can go somewhere, or have some specific project that I've talked up all week so that she's into it. I still do sesame street though. And on occasion, I confess, I offer to let her watch 2 episodes back-to-back, eating goldfish crackers while naked, 'cause I just really need to clean up the house and have a mental break.

    One thing I did do that helps was to get a dollhouse. It's situated such that we can talk while she plays in it. She will start acting something out and talking about it, and I can comment/ask questions/etc., which keeps her going. She doesn't play with it every day, but several times a week at least she'll entertain herself with it for a pretty long time (i.e., long enough for me to make dinner and then go over to check-in when I actually have a lull in cooking and can do it stress-free).

    Be good to yourself, and forgiving. She's an awesome kid and you are doing an awesome job.

    (btw, my dh has been heard to say, "leave mama alone, you are driving her crazy and she needs a break." Ack! Really?!? It might be kinda true, but jeez, don't say it that way! Drives me nuts.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We just went through a similar guilt session. Dare Devil has an iPod Touch (I won it at work and he claimed it) and he's a total junky. I had a minute where I was feeling really awful because he spends a lot of time playing games on it. We did have the foresight to ONLY load it with educational games at least.

    So, I was feeling like the worst dad ever, even though we spend plenty of time painting, drawing, going to parks and whatnot.

    And then we had a meeting with this "school" (which is really just a fancy, expensive daycare that teaches rather than watches him). Dare Devil got bumped ahead two classes (they divide kids based on placement tests and teach according to learning styles) because he knows all of his colors, he can count to 50, he knows his ABCs, knows right from left, his vocabulary is mind-boggling and he has a grasp on technology (they use iPads from time to time in class).

    Instead of beating myself up, I looked at it for what it is: another tool in learning. We spend a lot of times reading, doing puzzles, doing flashcards and the like. But, when he has his phone, and he thinks he's playing, he's actually solving puzzles and learning about different things (he's learned to add over the past month with the help of a game).

    Technology is good, as long as it doesn't become a barrier to development, etc.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin