Monday, October 7, 2013

It's only paint, part 2

When we last left the master bedroom, it was greeny gold with giant brown furniture.
Giant brown bed, giant brown nightstands and no room to walk.
Because of the giant brown chest of drawers.  
There was about six inches of walking space around the bed and furniture.

That was not working at all, and we were both ready for a change.  I wanted to get rid of the matchy-matchy furniture, Drew wanted to paint the walls, so we ditched everything and started from scratch.

First, we tried down-sizing.  We brought in the queen-sized platform bed from the guest room and swapped out dressers.  The small dresser came into our room, the big dresser went into Sofia's room and the chest of drawers went into the guest room.  After paring down our clothes, everything fit in that small dresser.  It's amazing to realize what you really use when you get down to it; especially now that I'm pregnant, I can get by on a few shirts and a couple pair of jeans and I'm good.  
Downsizing the bed made the room feel ten times bigger 
and it was nice to have all that walking space.
Then that blurry small person in the left corner threw things off.

Two adults and a toddler who sleeps crazy do NOT work in a queen-sized bed, especially when one of those adults gives off enough body heat to melt the icecaps.  We had high hopes; we thought that by using a smaller bed, Sofia would magically stop wanting to sleep with us, but no dice.  We lived that way for about two weeks, when Drew got fed up with being too hot all night and I got fed up with being kicked in the head one too many times.  We needed a king-sized bed, just one with a smaller footprint.

We liked not having the chest of drawers in the bedroom, so we looked for storage beds.  However, the ones at Pottery Barn and West Elm were nasty expensive or didn't come in the size we needed.  So we turned to our friends at Ikea.  In my world, frames and vases are fine to buy from Ikea, furniture was not.  I had nightmares of the whole thing collapsing under us and I was not a fan.  But we couldn't find anything else for a decent price, so the Ikea Brimnes came home to us.  We've had it several weeks now and I'm happy to say that it feels sturdy, there's no creaking and it's actually not that bad.
  It was a bitch and a half to put together though.  
It took Drew from sunup to sundown to get the whole thing put together
and it's definitely a two person job.  Even though I was pregnant and couldn't lift anything,
I still had to hold one end while he put another end together, etc.
It was an ordeal and I'm glad my husband is an engineer, for real.
If it was up to me, we'd be sleeping on the floor.

The storage drawers are gigantic and we had no problem putting all our stuff in them and there's room to spare.  I'm going to change out the handles so they look less Ikea and we're getting new bedding, which should help as well.

Then it came time to paint.  I do the painting around here, because Drew doesn't like it and he's not the best at it.  (I wonder if he's not good at it on purpose...)  We went back and forth on colors forever because I wanted a bluish gray and he wanted yellow.
Marriage:  Pick Your Battles.
There are some mountains I'll die on; wall color is not one of them.
It was a close one between Fairmont Lobby Cream and Jersey Cream, 
but in the end Jersey Cream won.
I patched the holes, put three coats of paint over the greeny gold, told myself that
you can't see the green coming through and voila!  Jersey Cream all over the place!
Oh, and we got the Brimnes headboard and that cutout at the bottom fits over the baseboard
heat perfectly, so maybe Ikea's not so bad after all.
Okay, now this is super ghetto so y'all don't laugh at me.
But I need to see things before they happen.

The right side of the bed needs balance, so I thought about getting three Lack shelves from Ikea and putting a basket underneath the shelves.  The shelves will address the randomness that's happening on top of the headboard.  We just threw things up there and it's not working for me, but they have no other place to go.  The basket will fix my other issue:  This is Drew's side of the bed and even though the laundry hamper is RIGHT OUTSIDE the bedroom, somehow that's too far for my dear husband and his clothes are always on the floor between here and the bathroom.  So fine, I'll get a basket.  

Those dirty clothes are not floating in space; they're on a storage bench I plan to recover.  I don't want to overload the room with pictures, but we need something on these walls.
And I think a grid of frames would look really nice on this wall.
This is the bedding I want.
The duvet with three euro shams would be so hot.
Drew is voting for gray.
I'm debating whether or not this is my mountain.
I think black would be so dramatic and grown up and chic.
He thinks gray would go better with the yellow walls.  We'll see.

We might even get super crazy and put a cowhide rug somewhere in here.  I think it might be fun to cover the bench like this one, or maybe we'll just put it on the floor like regular people.  So those are the plans for our bedroom, and I'm putting this out there for input.  Not the 'these are the dumbest ideas ever' input; rather, I'm looking for the 'hey, check out this bedding place or this site for art or this seller for cool stuff' kind of input.  After all, it was you fine readers who led me to my dream diaper bag, so I'm sure y'all are a wealth of information about all kinds of stuff.

Next up is Sofia's big girl room.  While I was typing part of this post, she had her first successful nap in her big girl bed, so it's time to change things up in there!  And of course, we have to do New Baby's nursery, and I've got plans for that room too. 

It's been a year in this house, and it's finally starting to feel like home...

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. We've been painting a bunch lately as well (and switching out beds, etc). It's amazing what a difference those little changes can make. Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got that exact frame and headboard this weekend. I'm also pregnant (7 months) and was busy toddler-wrangling so my poor husband had to it all by himself! And he did, with only minimal swearing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was pretty skeptical about the Ikea-ness of it all, but you really can't beat the storage for the price. I didn't even think of changing out the handles, but I bet that will make a huge difference. We're hoping new bedding will make it feel more put together but we haven't even started that part of the journey. That will indeed be my mountain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tell Drew, but I think I like the gray and yellow too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I'm talking about Shunta!!! Black and yellow is a bad song, represents something that can sting you and one badass transformer; not a chic adult space you 'relax' in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comment left by Drew... The Hubs

      Delete
    2. What do you know about black and yellow? You're white... ;-p

      Delete
    3. HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! Drew! I didn't know you read the comments!! haahaha!

      Delete
  6. I love how Sophia is entertaining herself with the mirror. I think I'm leaning toward yellow and grey but that's only because I'm not cool enough to pull off the yellow and black! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. *whispers*I have to go with Drew with the grey... it's more calming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should get the black sheets because they are chic and he won with the yellow walls. You can get a cheaper grey set for when the black set is in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. !!! We have the same frame/headboard! The people who we bought our house from left it here for us, and we love it for the storage. I'm still trying to figure out one issue (the knocking of the headboard against the wall when we're getting busy), but other than that, I haven't even filled up my two drawers yet. I do want to get a pallet(?) so the mattress sits a bit higher so the bed is easier to make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the new wall color, and the bed! It opens up the space so much! I actually kind of like the above the bed stuff, but that's me. :) I think the shelves and the basket would loom great too, and I love the art ideas. I think I'm with Drew on the bedding color. I LOVE the black, but I think it might be too dramatic with the airy feeling you've started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Black and yellow is our alumni colors, so it works for us. But if the first thing we thought of was a bumblebee, I'd be running to the store for the gray. What is it with husbands and hampers? Mine won't lift up the lid to put his stuff in. If the lid is down, they get laid on top. ?????? I really like the bed, even if its IKEA. May I suggest going with a little less STUFF in the room than too much? Not every wall needs something on it. We've been married 28 yrs and starting to downsize from 27 yrs of accumulating. Open things up and have less stuff and you'll be surprised how much less stressful the home is!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin