Tuesday, March 1, 2016

This girl's gotta fly: Andrea's second birthday

I swear, it's been so long that coming back here feels like a celebration, and what better way to celebrate a blog post than writing about a birthday!

This little angel face turned two on February 7th.
My doll baby!

When I was planning her birthday, I originally thought I would go with a Wall-E theme, because at the time, she was watching that movie at least twice a day.  But as her birthday drew closer, she became obsessed with Paw Patrol and it only seemed right to have a Paw Patrol birthday party.

As usual, Drew didn't want me to go overboard, and instead of completely disregarding his request, I tried.  I really did!  I had the party on a Friday morning; I didn't even call it a birthday party, I told everyone it would be a playdate with cupcakes.  That's it!  

However, I won't do that again because even though the party was great, it was indeed a birthday party and everyone should have been there.  Sofia was at school, Drew was at work, my mom wasn't there; it truly was a playdate and that wasn't right.  My only concession was that the party wasn't on her actual birth  Now, I will say that it turned out well and I was happy to make the morning just about Andrea.  

Even with a pared-down party, I still had to have my birthday party elements.  I really love getting birthday shirts for the girls so I had to have one for Andrea.  I plan on taking all the shirts and making a quilt for both the girls, maybe for their 18th birthdays?  Although, just thinking about them being 18 makes me black out because I can't take it.
I loved how it turned out!

The party was on a Friday morning, so instead of trying to come up with dog-themed food, I went with a brunch theme.  Brunch parties are so easy and you can't go wrong with breakfast food.  I make sausage egg and cheese egg cups, I had a plate with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and grapes, cupcakes of course, blueberry muffins and juice boxes for the kids and mimosas for the moms.  It came together quickly and easily and I was really pleased.  

I'd planned to get a large piece of white fabric and make a potato stamper of some paw prints and use that to cover the island but I ran out of time.  Plus, if I'd stamped the fabric I wouldn't be able to use it for other occasions so we're going to call it a happy accident instead of procrastination.
I cut little holes in the fabric to gather it up and I can change the ribbon for 
different occasions.
It was a simple spread but it turned out perfectly.

I strung a simple banner across the mantle and that was it for 
decorations.  See! I know how to do small birthdays!

I got cookies as favors for the guests;
they were paw prints and bones and they came out
so cute! I'm definitely having these cookies
at all future birthday parties. 
Here's a better shot of the cookies.
They really are perfect; not too sweet, just soft enough
and of course the decoration is always perfect.
I email the ladies and send a picture of what I want and they always deliver!

Group shot of all her little friends.

It was a laid back party and 
I'm pretty sure all the kids had a good time.

Kissy face with my sweet girl.
I'm so thankful that I got to be in a picture with her!

And then we had to take a selfie because the 
morning light was just that good.
Look at those dimples on my baby!!

She didn't open presents until later that afternoon, and of course Sofia
wanted to help.  That's why I'm *kinda* glad it was just Andrea at the party
because she needs some time where it's all about her, you know?

Her actual birthday was Super Bowl Sunday, and we
went to a friend's house to watch the game.
I knew it would be a late night so we went over there ready for bed.
I put Andrea in the pjs and slippers she got for her birthday and they were
so cute I could barely handle it.

At two years old, Andrea is hyper-articulate.  I'm not surprised because Sofia talked early too and Andrea is the same.  She speaks in complete coherent sentences and never uses baby talk.  Now she has a little baby voice, which makes it even cuter when she says things like "Mom I'm hungry, let's have some burgers!" You can see her little mind working when she wants to say something and she says exactly what she means and she is very sure of her place in this world.  She was born with that confidence and independence and my only goal in life is to do my best to make sure she keeps that confidence and self-assurance as she grows up.

She wants to do everything Sofia does and she's taken to calling her 'MY Sofia.'  They are sweet together 90% of the time, but of course they have their sibling rivalry.  But honestly, it's not that bad.  They truly love each other and they really look out for each other.  Just last night, Sofia was having a tough time and was sitting on my lap crying through her problems.  Andrea came over to her and patted her knee, saying "I know you're upset Sofia.  It's ok, it's ok, I know."

We're still nursing, although it's pretty much just for naps and bedtime.  She's so active during the day that she doesn't stop to nurse, although there are random moments in the afternoon that we'll sit on the sofa and nurse.  Truth be told, I wouldn't mind cutting back to just one session a day as I'm more than ready to have my body back but at least she's not nursing 24-7 and I'm getting some breaks.

She eats very well, although I'm wondering how long that will last, as Sofia used to eat well and is now the pickiest eater on the planet.  For now, I'm just celebrating the fact that I have at least one kid who'll eat what I put in front of her.  While she doesn't necessarily have a favorite food, what continues to surprise me is that she likes spicy food.  I mean, not set your mouth on fire-type spicy, but she loves salsa and she eats grown-up food all the time.  On the other hand, Sofia won't eat unless it's super bland and I swear, she can taste one kernel of spice and she turns up her nose.

Andrea is not in preschool yet.  I had Sofia in a mom's morning out program at 18 months, but that's because it was just her and I felt she needed to be around other kids for socialization.  With Andrea, she's likely my last baby and I want her at home with me for longer. Plus, there are a ton of kids in our neighborhood and she's got her sister to play with so I'm definitely not as concerned about socialization.  When Sofia goes to kindergarten in the fall, I will put Andrea in a program for a couple mornings a week and that'll be plenty.  I have no idea what life will be like with two kids out of the house at the same time.  I don't even know what I'll do with myself.  

Who am I kidding; I'm going to sleep.  A LOT.

Andrea is a funny, happy baby.  There is always a light in her eyes and I really love just being around her.  She is such a sweet baby and she's always wanting to share whatever new skill she's learned.  Every day, she's like "Mommy watch this!" and she'll jump and then belly laugh, so incredibly content with herself.  Sofia's in gymnastics and Andrea tries to do cartwheels and forward rolls like her big sister, except her forward rolls are just her putting her forehead on the ground and then sitting on her bottom, and her cartwheels look more like lunges, but they're perfect to me and I cheer for her every time she does it.

Andrea's cartwheel

I am so madly in love with her and I'm so incredibly blessed that I get to share her life with her.  She is my baby and I love everything about her.


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. YAY! You're back! I can't believe how fast your little cuties are growing!

    It's so good that you are able to take the time and enjoy these years them. And in the years to come, they will be able look back and cherish the love and caring you showered on them. Thank you for sharing. It was worth the wait!

    Oh! Come fall besides sleeping you'll also have time to write! Can you tell I, for one, have been missing your posts, lol? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Andrea! She's getting so big and those dimples are delicious! So nice reading a fresh new post, looking forward to the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. I must be emotional today, but this post is so dang sweet and had my eyes welling up thinking about Tyler and Weston's relationship in a year or two!!! Sofia and Andrea are stinking adorable and I can't get over it. Her cartwheel is the cutest thing ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! Parties are best ways to spend great time with your loved ones. I always invite all my friends and relatives to parties. This year have booked one of best Chicago venues for my birthday celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all is well, miss the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is a long time coming, but I've often wondered if you're okay, since it seemed you stopped blogging kind of unexpectedly. I know you must be busy, but if you have a minute to shoot me a quick reply just to say you're fine, that would be so great! My email address is slstaley@comcast.net. Hope you're still enjoying North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin