Friday, December 27, 2013

That's why we can't have nice things

Well my friends, I'm sure you're all in your post-Christmas comas, but I thought I'd pop in with a quick story for you.

All of our Christmas decorations are down and put away; we're the 'day after Christmas decorations-removal' types around here.  Drew's birthday is New Year's Eve and I want a clear separation between the two holidays.  I'm sure as our kids get older, they'll push to leave the decorations up longer, but until then, we have the final say and we say that shit comes down the morning after Christmas, and that's where our story begins...

Actually, it starts a few weeks before Christmas.  No, it started in 2009.  Gah, my storytelling skills are rusty.  But yes, this story definitely started in 2009.
First, Drew looks so young!  
This was right after we moved into our first house in Texas.

Our dining room table was an amazing Craigslist find and we both loved it from the second we laid eyes on it.  We always got tons of compliments on it and I envisioned it being in our family till the end of time.

Then came Sofia.

The table is an antique Spanish door and the glass was inset into the top.  However, it wasn't a tight seal, and when we moved to Pennsylvania, the table was the central spot for all playtime activities as well as all meals.  It wasn't long before spilled milk under the glass was a frequent occurrence  and it was a gigantic pain in the ass to try and lift that piece of glass every. single. time to clean underneath it.  Never mind the crumbs that were constantly falling in the cracks and nearly impossible to get out and the smeared ketchup and tiny handprints that were always on the glass.  We would constantly call and text each other that "You're going to have to lift the glass AGAIN."  "I can't keep this stupid table clean!"  "I'm done with this table.  I'm serious."

In short, the table was gorgeous, unique, we loved it so much, but it was not at all kid-friendly and the thought of double the mess with another baby coming made my eye twitch.

Besides, when it comes to this face and a dining room table, 
there's really no contest.

The last straw happened a few weeks before Christmas when Sofia got hold of a flashlight - the big Mag Light I keep by my bed and decided she wanted to play drums on the table.  It's a miracle she didn't shatter the glass, and we ordered a new table the next day.

So we cleared it off, gave it one last wipe down and it's going to live with Drew's co-worker who already told me that I can come over and see it anytime I wantHis kids are older and know how to act around glass tables and maybe we'll get there one day too. But for now, we need something a little more kid friendly.

The new table is round, solid wood and has a rustic look that 
won't look bad if it gets dinged.  
It looks small, but it's quite roomy and it's growing on me.
I still have to style it but I think I can make it work.
There's a lot of wood tones going on between the wine rack, chair legs, Sofia's tower, little art drawer thingie and floor but I think I can bring it together.
I won't lie though - it makes me want a white kitchen.
*as Drew passes out because spending money makes him faint*

Now let us turn to the living room, as our story continues....

Remember how I drove to Virginia for a sofa?
Ah, Harrison.  Those were the days.

Harrison came to live with us in September of 2012.  Once again, the small person of the house looked at Harrison, laughed and proceeded to let everyone know that this is her world and we're just in it.  Harrison has been vomited on, peed on, pooped on; he's had milk, water and juice spilled on him, crackers smooshed into him and he just wasn't ready.  They told us, but we didn't listen.  Velvet is NOT a kid-friendly fabric.  No matter how quick you are at blotting spills, velvet holds everything.  Once the fibers get wet, they're toast and they look terrible.
I'm sorry Harrison.  We just didn't know.
That giant shiny bit on the front right cushion is a big ol' water spill.
That one's water, not pee.
This time.

The sofa isn't even two years old.  It's still sturdy and we like the length and depth but there is hardly a spot on it that isn't stained.  These pictures don't do it justice - it's really bad.  We're debating moving this one down to the basement playroom and getting a new slipcovered sofa so I can at least wash out the bodily fluids, or shelling out the $$$ to have a custom slipcover made for this sofa.  The jury is still out on that one.

So let me be your PSA - Do not buy a velvet sofa if you have kids or dogs or plan on having them anytime soon.  Velvet is one of those fabrics that belongs that room of your house that no one goes in.  Unfortunately for us, our house is too tiny to have any space that's off limits so we're either sticking with our stained sofa as it is, or ponying up to get another, more indestructible one.

And that brings us to last night.....

Like I said, we're the ones who take the Christmas stuff down as soon as possible.  Additionally, Sofia made out like a bandit and got lots of new toys so we needed to make room for all of them.
The old living room set-up, sort of.
The gray table on the right was next to the sofa but this was mid-rearranging.
This area was feeling cramped, so Drew suggested we move the wine rack
to the dining room now that we have the round table and we have more space.
I thought that was a great idea, so we cleared off the top, removed
the solid heavy marble top and leaned it against the sofa on the floor.

Anyone see where this is going?

I was in the kitchen and Drew was sliding the wine rack over to the dining room when we heard a dull *thunk*.
What you don't see is the small person of the house sitting on the sofa
with a dumbfounded look on her face, after having kicked over the marble top 
in just the right place to make it split.

What you also don't see is the small person's parents, stunned into silence, not moving.  I just stood there with my hand over my mouth, whispering "OhmyGodohmyGod."  Sofia picked right up on that and ran over to me with a confused look on her face and was like "What did I do Mom?  What did I do?"  I sat down with her on my lap and said "Oh honey, when you pushed the marble over it broke, but it was Mommy and Daddy's fault.  We shouldn't have leaned it against the sofa like that.  You're okay.  We'll know better for next time."
So, um.  Yeah.
However, it's not even that noticeable and with all the stuff on it, it's 
really not that big a deal.
The new living room set-up.
Basically, everything is up against the walls, leaving a giant space in the middle
so the small people of the house have less opportunity to destroy things.
Although, now our rug is too small for the space and we need a new one.
I'm thinking of moving this one into Sofia's room and putting the pink stripe in the nursery.
*As Drew's head explodes because I'm getting yet another rug.*
The center portion of the buffet now holds all of Sofia's 
games and toys that she got for Christmas.
The cords will be dealt with shortly.
And as much as I don't want to speak it into existence,
I fear for the fate of my mirrored buffet.
Her rocking horse was a Christmas present from Grandma and Grandpa so hopefully
it'll keep her occupied.  On that side of the room.
Where there are fewer things to break.

Because after all...
It's your world, Baby Girl.
We're just in it.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. HONEY!!!!! I snickered out loud when you said she looked at you like Mommy what did I do? I know that look WELL! Zoe gives it. She gives good what-the-effe face.

    Ain't it funny how these kids will make you change your whole life goal and pattern? I wanted to be fabulous DAHLING.. We have one of those high tables, four chairs that are great for singles... not so great for parents of two year olds who like to climb and stand on tables.

    DANGER is my kid's middle name girl. I just love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We say "that's why we can't have nice things" a LOT:( More often, it has to do with the dogs! Our glass top table is also an abomination- I can't wait to get rid of it. Next time around on the sofa, if you can handle it, I'd suggest leather (or in our case, fake leather). Everything just wipes off! We trashed a microfiber one in less than a year with a baby, and though I thought it was too masculine at first, I love the leather now!

    I also love the new table. So different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to be honest... I've been quietly sitting over here green wondering to myself "how the hell does she get to have so much nice shyt and a supremely civilized toddler????" ..*me glancing around at my once nice house, now broke as hell... all my cute abaca shyt is unwound and tore up, once cute table from crate and barrel now looks like an ikea piece of crap, crayons and markers on every other wall, sharpie on the sofa......* Hehehe. sorry to laugh at your pain... but I kinda feel better now. It was a NICE table though! I never even thought about problems with cleaning it! We just scored a used RH round wood table off of CL so I'm happy now. Oh, if your table is not sealed... um look into that (I used a soy product). Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a beautiful table. I love her little kitchen set, too! oh and the mirror you have in your dining room is beautiful! My daughter destroys everything, too! She takes things apart, stuffs things inside of things, draws on everything lol IDK

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me how much I need a new rug for my living room. Where is the best place to find deals on rugs? We need a new couch desperately as well, but Charlie just got laid off yesterday so we'll be pinching pennies for awhile. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. You just made me really nervous for when Weston gets older. HAHAHA! I guess I should have been prepared already since we're a two dog household. :) Never buy microfiber either - it does the same thing as velvet. Ugh. so annoying. :) Good luck! I love the changes you've made! OBSESSED with that table, and I love the look of the living room! It looks so much more open and bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beautiful thing about Marble is that at least it hides cracks well, but, yeah, I am so with you - this is why I can't have nice things too. And totally why I got rid of MY glass top/heavy iron table when Josie was born. Wah-Wah-Wah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Josey, try overstock.com for rugs. You can find huge 9x12s and 8x10s usually for under $500. I bought several in the $200 range before.

    @Desiree, we also say "that's why we can't have nice stuff", so that made me laugh. I love the new living room layout. Can't wait to see the new rug in there.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin