Monday, March 24, 2014

Mom times two

This one won't have pictures because I have to type as fast as I can because Andrea is asleep and Sofia is watching a movie and I have many thoughts to dump and I'm wasting time telling you and I should just start talking before one wakes up or one realizes that I'm not paying attention to her shit Desiree just blog there's no time there's no time!

That's what having two kids is like for me.  No time.  Anymore.  Ever.  I used to have nights to myself - 11p-2a was my sacred time.  Time for writing, clicking around the internet, recharging for the next day.  Now, I lay sandwiched between my two babies, one nursing, one needing to touch my 'nursings' or just know that I'm close so they can sleep.  If I so much as adjust my pjs or dare to leave the bed, one or both of them wakes up crying.  So my time is gone bye-bye for the foreseeable future.  Most days it's no big deal, but about every tenth day when I am spent beyond spent, I NEED my time.  Drew can tell when I get snippy about having a mile long to-do list, when every single question gets a smart-ass response, and then he knows that it's in his best interest to take the baby and occupy Sofia so I can wash my hair so I can stop scratching my head like I have fleas.

However, that's the biggest and 'worst' thing about all of this.  Thankfully, the baby weight is gone, I'm done with the shots (halle-LU-yer!), and the winter is on its way out.  I don't have the deer in the headlights feeling like I did with Sofia and I've come to realize that I have to let some things go in the name of being a mom to two babies.
I started humming "Let It Go" just as soon as I typed the phrase
because I've seen this movie approximately 
twelve THOUSAND times.

The house may never be clean again.  If I can do one thing a day, I have to be okay with that.  Between Sofia climbing on the counters and ripping up random pieces of paper - which ps, what the hell is that about? - and Andrea nursing every ten minutes, the house just doesn't get clean.  I try to stay on top of the vacuuming because the dog hair will give me legit panic attacks, but I have no choice but to let everything else go to the wayside.  I cleaned the bathroom yesterday but that was only because it was starting to gross me out.  God bless Sofia and her potty-training, but it sure does make for a nasty bathroom.  I can only imagine how gross it would be if I had a little boy who could get it on the walls and stuff.

Andrea cries more than I prefer.  There are two of them and only one of me.  If Sofia is standing on the counter about to jump off, she gets priority.  I have to go to her and ensure she doesn't kill herself, which she tries to do on a daily basis.  I'm telling you, kids turn three and suddenly they think they're invincible and they want to start flying and shit.  So, if Sofia is about to kill herself and Andrea is crying, bless her heart, but she has to cry for a second while I save her sister.  I hate it because Sofia never so much as whimpered before I was there holding her, but that's just not the reality of life now.   

I may have to give up my cloth diapers.  I've written extensively of my love for cloth diapers - I don't have time to link to the posts because Andrea is fidgeting in the crib, which means my time is limited - but it's true.  It hurts my heart and I'm going to have to up my green-ness in other areas, but Andrea HATES feeling wet. This is new for me because Sofia could care less if she was wet or dirty, but not Andrea.  She's an easygoing baby, but the second her diaper is wet, she will let you and everyone within earshot know that she has a wet or dirty bottom.  Because of it, we're using disposables at night and she doesn't so much as peep.  She wakes up to nurse and is asleep within minutes of eating, so I'm concluding the fussiness is to do with the cloth diapers.  I struggled with it for a minute because of the cost! the waste! the Earth!  But in the end if it's a question of my daughter's comfort, well, sorry Earth.  I'm just hoping this means Andrea will potty train sooner and who knows, I may even give elimination communication a try.  It's just one of those things; she already cries more than I want her to, so if there's something I can do that will lessen the amount of crying, I'm going to do it.

Wake up before they do or the day is shot.  If Sofia is up before me, I can pretty much count on brushing my teeth while chasing her down, hopping on one foot trying to put on my pants before Sofia gets into something she's not supposed to and basically feeling behind the eight ball until naptime.  However, if I manage to get up before them, I can dress, brush my teeth and maybe even comb my hair and wash my face and the day is immeasurably easier to manage.  Having that fifteen to twenty minutes to gather myself makes all the difference in the world.  With just one kid, mornings were much more leisurely.  Two kids means you have to be ready for the world the second your eyes open and you better pray they open early.

Errands require logistics planning on par with a NASA shuttle launch.  Change of clothes, times two.  Blankets, times two.  Diaper bag double stuffed.  Take the bags to the car, start the car so it's warmed up.  Go back inside, the baby's crying.  Tell Sofia it's time to go, which means time for a game of keep-away.  Take ten minutes to chase and wrestle a jacket on Sofia.  Baby's crying.  Carry Sofia out, kicking and laughing because it's so much fun to play keep-away with Mommy!  Go back inside, grab dry-cleaning and whatever other errand stuff I need and pray to Jesus I don't forget anything because you can't forget anything.  Baby's crying.  Run outside, throw it in the car which is warm thank God.  Rush back in, baby's crying.  Apologize like crazy, drape her in blankets because F YOU WINTER.  Decide to nurse her real fast because it's just mean to dump her in the carseat crying.  She stops and falls asleep thank God.  Buckle her in.  Sofia needs to make a pee, needs a snack, needs a book, needs something that obviously she couldn't tell me until she was in the carseat.  Get whatever she needs.  Lock the front door - finally.  Thirty minutes later, back out of the driveway.  

Getting out of the car means putting the baby in the Ergo, unbuckling Sofia who then wants to play keep-away in the car instead of getting out and getting in the stroller.  Trying to wrestle her while Andrea is in the Ergo is a super fun joke. Finally Sofia takes pity on me and gets in the stroller.  Sometimes she wants to walk which is a whole other thing because she hasn't quite mastered the whole 'hold Mommy's hand at all times' thing.  Then we do our errand and then it's unbuckling the Ergo, baby's crying, come on Sofia honey please get in your seat, put the bags in the car and strongly debate whether or not we really need toilet paper because I really don't want to make another stop.  

But that's how it is and crying about it and wishing it were easier is futile, so I just take a deep breath, try to give myself an hour to run an errand that used to take me fifteen minutes, and let it go.

Because I'm a mom times two and that's a blessing.  Besides, just when I think it's never going to slow down and I'm never going to get caught up, my babiest baby sleeps for a bit in her crib, wakes for some nursing and falls right back to sleep and my older baby takes a decent nap and I get to reconnect with my writing, with my friends and I feel content.  It's hectic, there's less time for trivial things like showers and catching my breath, but I wouldn't change it for anything.


Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Oh man! Just remember! The first few months with a newborn are the hardest! You'll get your routine! I promise! :) (look at me talking like I know what life with two kids is! HAHA)

    And as for cloth diapers - I know the feeling. That's exactly how Weston was. He FREAKED OUT the minute that cloth diaper was wet. I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy! hang in there, Desiree, it does get easier, I promise! But I won't lie, it could be a few months. I've got 2 that are 16.5 months apart, and crazily enough, it got easier about a month after baby 2 started solids (EBF otherwise) and then again when she started walking (she started walking at 9.5 months!!!). Now there is more time where I find myself standing there watching them play and chase each other around. But dear sweet baby Jesus, it's been hard! You're not alone. (it was great seeing your post, btw, I've been wondering how you're holding up)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending good vibes and virtual hugs your way! You're doing your bestest and that's what counts the mostest. Like wine, it'll get better with time. And as it does, enjoy a few glasses ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you opposed to those backpack leash thingies? I always was, but I have a feeling they will be my best friend if/when baby #2 comes along for us. :) Keep on keeping on! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i guess i needed this post b/c i will be there in a few months. Hang in there i am assuming it will get better? since i havent been thru it i dont feel like i can tell you it will :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you won't mind that I smiled through the whole post because YES. Just yes. Every single part of it is happening here as well. Only without the nursing and with boy parts, which is a whole new ball game to me. And the keep away thing is making me batshit crazy. But yeah, I wouldn't trade it either;) Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following your blog for a while, but I usually read through my RSS and then move on, but I felt like commenting today:
    I think I should bookmark this post to re-read for comfort whenever we have a second baby. This entire post summarizes my fear of adding a second baby, even though I'm feeling pretty much ready to start trying again. But on days where my introverted soul is crying out for just 30 minutes to myself (and it's not like that happens all that often), I wonder how I'll handle it when I have a toddler and a baby, and not just our little guy. It sounds like you're doing great with keeping it all in perspective -- and I imagine it all gets better day by day. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about you order some of your necessities on line. A lot of places ship for free. When I order Costco on line it ships for free, Target with the Target Red Card (which is auto withdraw from checking), Amazon with Amazon Prime, and many other companies like Soap.com and etc with a $50 purchase, etc. Might be worth checking into... Just a thought. Sometimes it isn't just making the stop and going into the store, it is getting out of the store and loading that huge cube of toiletpaper while juggling a baby and toddler that makes it harder, and an at your doorstep delivery EASIER. Same with diapers if you end up using more disposables. I have heard diaper.com has the same deals and anywhere else. We use the Costco diapers when our kids were babies. Just some general thougths from a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you've pretty well described having two kids. Did I tell you my older son has figured out that I have a harder time enforcing rules while I'm nursing? It's gotten better as my baby has gotten older and better able to stay latched on if I jump off the couch, but my toddler picked up on that one with lightening speed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol @ trish... I had the same exact thought the other day as my two year pretty much laughed at my threats as I nursed my 1 wk old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just thinking about you this morning... missing your posts but knowing it is b/c your life is crazy hectic, and hoping you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to your new hectic life! It's an awesome place to be.....once you find your footing that is. Wait! That doesn't reeeallly happen. But you've conquered the first battle, which is to realize that you can't do everything. And you learned early. I'm a mother of 4, so I get it. You're doing a great job, mom! Enjoy every single stressful, hectic moment. They go fast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I kept Zoe home with us half a day and dayumn near blow my top so more power to you!!! Brax cries a lot too,

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin