Monday, March 31, 2014

Trying to thrive

Solo parenting is a reality in my life.  Drew travels for work; he always has and he probably always will.  It's hard on all of us because Drew misses a lot and he has to count on quality time with the family versus quantity.  Of course it's hard on me because I miss my husband, plain and simple.  Plus, with two kids it sure is nice to have an extra set of hands.  However, this is how my husband provides for us and I'm beyond grateful that he has and is giving us the life we live.  We are immeasurably blessed and I constantly remind myself of that when I start to get whiny about how hard things are.

However, I find that I end up just trying to get through the minutes when he's gone.  I'm just trying to make it until the next time one or both of them is asleep and last night, something clicked inside me - what if I didn't operate in survival mode?  What if I tried to get ahead of the tide?  What would that feel like?  Yeah, with him gone so much it's all me, all the time more than I'd prefer, but that's just the way it is.  We don't have family nearby so it's all on me to hold down the fort and it's high time I got better at it.  

So I'm trying it.  This week I'm going to thrive instead of survive without my husband here.  I'm going to do my best not to plop Sofia in front of the TV so much.  I've made my peace with the fact that I have to use TV sometimes (like now so I can write) but it's going to be more last-resort than first-response.  I'm going to actually do all those toddler activities I've pinned.  We're going to pull out the toys and we're going to use them.  

And we'll see how frazzled - or not?  Maybe? - I am by the end of the week.

Night one:  Playing in moonsand.  I found it on Pinterest and Sofia loves it because she loves anything messy.  It's 8 cups of flour to one cup of baby oil.  Mix it up and put it in a bin.  It's super soft and clumps really well for making sand castles.  I put a big blanket on the floor, gave her some measuring cups and let her go to town.  I put Andrea in the little bouncy chair and we all sat on the kitchen floor and got messy.  Of course Sofia got *in* the tub and starting rubbing the flour all over herself and mushing her face in it - we're going to call this a 'sensory experience.'  It sounds much more intelligent and purposeful than 'messy as hell.'  i'm going to look for homemade bathtub paints next.    

But hey, it's a win because she wasn't crying, not watching TV and we were spending time together!  That's the kind of stuff I'm shooting for this week and I really want to see if I can get there. 

My hope is to be able to blog every morning about the night before, so we'll see how well I can hold up!

Wish me luck!




Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. YAY!!! :) Sounds like fun!! You can do it mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB!!! You already know I'm sending you a virtual high-five with this one! It's hard to be a Mommy with a constantly traveling Daddy, and it sucks. Stress upon stress and a little depression thrown in. I feel sorry for the Daddies too... I live for the awesome-happy-you did it moments, but those are rarely caught on video. My moody two year old does not do do-overs on cue. lol I have a similar pin board for my boys (8 and 2) and the oldest cant wait for the summer to do new "mission of the days". Moon Sand is awesome and you get a Mommy-of-the-Day award. :) Did she help clean up? My son loves sucking stuff up with the vacuum cleaner hose. (It kept him occupied for another twenty minutes!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that... thrive instead of survive. I think we all go into survival mode from time to time... and when you're just trying to make it, you forget to enjoy the joys in life, like moonsand and laughing and nail polish. Lol. I love this, and I know it's gonna make things so much easier for you. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, what a great way to start the week! You gave me a little inspiration over here. "Thrive instead of survive"- LOVE IT! Good luck and looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good way to look at things. I am also guilty of that when parenting alone. Hooray for making memories (and a mess!) with Moonsand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck girlie. I love your "sensory" activity. You can do this!!! You are one of the best mommies.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin