Thursday, November 19, 2015

Living Room Progress: The Sitch with the Niche

So how are we saying 'niche?'  Do you say Nitch?  Or Neesh?  

I say 'hole in the wall.'

As in, there's a hole in the wall in my living room and I want to do something about it.
Like so.

I don't know why it's only on one side; the lack of symmetry is silly and I would have loved two narrower 'neeshes' on either side of the fireplace.  Pay attention, builders.  The word of the day is symmetry.

Alas, the builders didn't consult me before they built the house and this isn't a custom home where you get to pick everything down to where you want your light switches. (That's the next house.)  

So I've got this hole and I knew I wanted to put a built-in-esque bookcase in there because we have no bookcases in this house and books are life.
Books are life.
via


There's a guy in my neighborhood that builds things and he came over to give me a quote and I was this close to hiring him but then my DIY spirit took over and I was all "I have all the time in the world!  I can build something MYSELF!"

My husband's laughs could be heard from all over the world.  

That didn't bother me; there are IKEA Billy bookcase hacks all over Pinterest and I knew I could do this.  So, we went to Charlotte because we don't have an IKEA here.  Which makes no sense because there are like a thousand colleges in Raleigh and where there are colleges, one needs an IKEA.  But it's whatever; we went to Charlotte and I came home with two small Billy bookcases.


Like so.

Putting the bookcases together was super easy and I was extra proud of myself.  I bought Kreg mini jig and made pocket holes and everything!  The bookcases were about half an inch too wide so I had to screw them together and the nitch isn't perfectly square, so that bad boy is wedged in there like nobody's business.

Now, the reason why I'm writing about this is because I'd like to get it done before Thanksgiving and there's nothing like putting it out to the Universe, aka you guys, to give you the ol' kick in the pants.

I want to trim it out, put in library lights, and get it all styled and pretty before we have guests next week.  Now whether or not that actually happens will remain to be seen, but it's always good to have goals.


A bit of a wider shot of the living room.
Those are my fall pillow covers; they look more
golden and fall-ish in real life I promise.
And one day very very soon I'm painting all our interior doors black.
Wait for it; it's going to be awesome.


But this is about my neesh.  I have plans for it, my friends.  Plans that I hope to execute in the coming weeks and then I'm going to write about it and it's going to be wonderful.


Oh, and let's talk about my sofa for a quick second.  It's pretty much the most awesome sofa ever and I love it so very very much.  Our old sofa wasn't cutting it in the slightest.

You can kind of see where we were putting the TV in the nitch and the rug was too small and the sofa was too small and it just wasn't working.  We needed a sectional.  I wanted to get a nice one but my neighbors talked me out of it, saying that my kids were still too young and would trash a super nice sofa so we got the Amalfi sectional from Haverty's and let me tell you; I'm so happy with our choice!  Navy doesn't come standard but I had my heart set on a navy sofa and seriously, I love it so much.  Navy is an excellent neutral, did you know that?  It seriously goes with everything and now that I know how to sew pillow covers, I plan to change them out with the seasons and navy is the perfect backdrop.  Even though I'm not about celebrating Christmas until after Thanksgiving, I kind of can't wait to make some Christmas pillow covers.  Because that's where I am in my life; I sew and get excited over pillow covers.  Call me Eunice.

Anyway, the sectional is amazing; I got a jute rug from RugsUSA and the living room is slowly but surely starting to come together.

Keep me accountable, my friends!  Help me finish my neesh before the end of the year!

*PS - I went to my neighbor's house tonight for a party where you buy stuff and I had lots of wine, so I'm really hoping this all makes sense and is entertaining and you like it because your girl has a straight up buzz and I'm loving it.

You're so pretty.

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. "Call me Eunice." HA! All my favorite groups/activities are comprised of women who are generally 30-40 years older than me. I'll call you Eunice, you can call me Gertrude (Gertie for short).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Okay what is funny.... i was like "I bet she's had wine... " LOL! I love love love your color scheme! Very similar to mine except I have a really warm floor which I wish I could change. I wanted to put my TV over my fireplace, but I'm wondering if you have to crank your neck to watch it?? How's it working out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you are back! Was missing your writing, inspiration to beautify the house and, most importantly, to remain positive and thankful while staying home with kids. Your girls grew so much! We had our baby jr in the meantime so there is Sofi and Sean now. Greetings from Paris! Marta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to see you back, and you got your third pendant light! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm OBSESSED with that couch! So cute! And those throw pillows of course! 😜

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great taste amiga, great taste. And did I mention that I love your new home? It's amayz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great taste amiga, great taste. And did I mention that I love your new home? It's amayz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eunice! Glad to see you back blogging again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you set out to make me think today; mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you. Singapore training room rental

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, excellent post. I'd like to draft like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article. This post has encouraged me to write some posts that I am going to write soon. https://trainingroomsg.com

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin