Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Just ignore this post - I have angst

It's 4:30 in the morning so a lot of this probably won't make sense.  I hope to post again later today and maybe no one will read this one.  I probably shouldn't even be writing, but I can't sleep and I know it's because there is so much swirling in my head and it needs to come out.


For the past two days I have been struggling with small bouts of anxiety.  I hate to even call it that because these feelings are so worthless they don't even deserve to be named, but I know that tight feeling in my chest.  I've been on the verge of crying for two days straight and that's not me.  I want to leave the house but the thought makes it hard to breathe.  I give myself a pep talk, tell myself not to be silly and I end up leaving but all I can think about while I'm gone is how much I want to be home.  I've gotten a couple of projects that normally I'm excited about undertaking, but I'm scared of them.  Even as I know that's ridiculous and the rational side of me is saying to snap out of it, I can't.


I recently purchased a chair for the sitting room but it has sat untouched because it has a lot of fabric on it.  I've never recovered more than just the seat of a chair and I'm intimidated by that.  It also has piping, which terrifies me.  I'm so scared of ripping it apart and not being able to put it back together.  I was scared to even buy it but I did it anyway, psyching myself up, telling myself that I could do it.  I even told myself if it doesn't work, no big deal - it only cost me $15 so it's no huge loss.  Even with all that positive self-talk, I've yet to remove one staple.


I also finally pulled the trigger and bought a sewing machine.  I spent the day with Kristina on Saturday and she taught me the basics.  I've dreamed of learning to sew for years, honestly since I was a little girl.  I had fantasies of pinning and sewing and creating beautiful things to wear, of modestly smiling when someone complimented something I made.  Kristina is a great and patient teacher and with her help I made a partial bandanna for Maya.  I didn't finish it because I'd been at her house the whole day and I was freaking out about having left Maya in her crate for so long.  She loaned me some sewing books with easy patterns and even sent me a coupon for Jo-Ann Fabrics - she's such a great friend.


My new kick-ass sewing machine is still in the box in my closet, along with that half-finished bandanna and all the sewing books because I ambitiously read one of the books and nearly started crying because it was so detailed and overwhelming - and it was a book for beginners!  I was already scared of breaking my machine and after reading that perfectly harmless book I never want to touch it again.  I haven't given up on learning to alter my own clothes so they fit perfectly or even making something beautiful for myself or my friends, but it seems that there's a giant obstacle between me and that goal - this stupid, irrational fear.


I try to stay busy - I went out last night, I hung out at my girlfriend's pool today and I even cooked this evening to distract myself.  Yet, here I am at almost five in the morning, unable to sleep because I want to finish that bandanna but I'm intimidated by my sewing machine.  I want to get started on that chair but I'm scared.  How ridiculous is that?  What the hell is wrong with me?


I tell myself that this is just a raging case of the hormones.  I'm supposed to start a week from tomorrow so it really could be just that.  I don't normally feel anxious about dumb stuff and this has only been for the past couple of days.  I just wish it would hurry up and go away - seriously, what kind of person is scared of a sewing machine?


And for the record, I'm not afraid it's going to eat me or anything and it's certainly not talking to me.  It's quite logical - I spent a lot (to me) of money on it and I'm unsure of how to use it and I'm terrified of breaking it, thereby throwing that money down the drain.  See?  I can identify the cause of the issue but unfortunately it doesn't do much to get me to take the damn thing out of the box and finish the damn bandanna.  I know all I need to do is grab a screwdriver, pull one staple out of that chair and just keep on going, yet I feel powerless to do it.  It shouldn't matter if I screw it up, I can leave it out for the trash (the chair, not the sewing machine) and go on with my life, yet for some stupid reason I can't.


I also know I'm fixating on these minor issues because the bigger issues are so much bigger.  At the risk of sounding like a drama-queen douchebag, I feel like I'm drifting or floating - and not in a good way.  For one thing, not working is killing me.  I need a routine and the sense of purpose, no matter how small, that comes with having a job.  I need a reason to leave the house.  And again, it's not like I'm not showering and the house is a mess or that I'm not taking care of my hair.  Y'all will know to send the cavalry if I ever say that I haven't washed my hair.


At this point, I would like to have a job and I don't even care if I would only get to work for a couple of months before we'd have to move.  If we even move.  When we move.  Wherever we're going to move.  There are now talks about a possible move to South Carolina, which would be much more preferable to San Jose but I'm not getting my hopes up.  It's just the uncertainty of it all that sucks - out loud.


I'm one step away from applying for jobs at the mall - and I hate retail.  The only reason I won't go back to the restaurant industry are the hours - I'm too old and out of practice to be staying up until two and three in the morning on the regular.  Yet I'm not walking into J. Crew just yet because the thought of asking for and filling out an application makes me nauseated.  Writing down my pathetic work history and reducing myself to a job title so I can make $10/hour makes me want to cry.  Yet, you get tough and do what you have to do, right?  I look back at all the shit I've been through and I'm kind of ashamed that I've gotten to this point, where I'm too weak to humble.  Although, again I'm pretty sure I know how I got here.


Not being able to have kids has taken a terrible toll on my self-esteem.  I feel like if I can't have kids and I don't have a job I don't really have a purpose in life.  Beckie did a great post that really resonates with me and how I'm feeling and if you're so inclined, you can read it.  I just feel like I don't matter anymore and I never used to feel that way.  I think we need people to depend on us to make us feel present or relevant.  Without that, you just drift - in my opinion.


...


I can't even cry properly - the tears well up, my throat clogs and I feel thankful that I'll have a release.  I'll have a good, snotty cry and when I'm done I'll get up, take that damn machine out of that damn box and finish that damn bandanna.  I'll flip over that damn chair and start taking out those damn staples.  Because that's what I normally do - a good cry is very healing.  Yet the tears recede, my throat clears and I feel no better.


Ugh, I have to stop.  I'm annoying myself with all this whining.  I'm not this person and I hate feeling this way.  I'm not weak and wimpy and the real me always stands back up after getting knocked down.  


I just don't get why I can't seem to get my feet under me this time.

12 comments:

  1. Even though you hoped one of us wouldn't, I did- I read!!! ;)

    I think in your subconscious, your fear of not being able to have children is spilling into your life, which is why you are feeling angst about minor things.

    Honestly a MOTHER is not only the person who birthed the child. A mother can also be an aunt, a t-t (a play aunt-what my friend's children call me), a preschool teacher, etc...


    Remember this: Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

    My old Sunday School teacher gave me this scripture when I was going through something. It basically said to me that it's all in God's hands. He will not do anything to hurt you. Don't be weighed down-let Him have it!

    What I'm trying to say is, if there is a situation where you won't have to physically give birth, don't be so hard on yourself. Again, I know easier said than done. ;) God is using you- you are inspiring more people than you will actually really know.

    (perhaps you should write a book.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are loved. And you are relevant. This post made me understand you a little better. I admit, I was judging you and thought you were a mean spirited person who only tore down other people because they had what you don't. This made me realize that you're only reacting to your pain, and we all react differently. We all can relate to having our self-esteem knocked down and our personalities changing as a result. This is the place in your life where God will reach you and bring out the most beautiful side of you if you allow it. Thank you for sharing with us. You are loved very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, and look forward to reading your next post. things always manage to look a little better once the sun comes up. we all love you - I have loved your spunkiness ever since I first found your blog. San Jose isn't so bad. if you are talking about the one in California - we could be friends in real life too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pretend I didn't read this post, and will read the one posted later today. :)

    That being said... hang in there lady! You are so brave and strong. It is all going to work out. If it isn't worked out, it must not be over! Finish that bandanna... I want to make some for Coop and Grace, but I need some motivation! Sewing is scary... and intimidating... but you're going to finish it and be so proud, and Maya is going to LOVE IT! That chair is going to be divine... so finish it!

    Hugs from blogland! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, no! I feel responsible :( Please don't be intimidated by that silly machine!! Do you want to come back this Saturday, machine and chair in tow, and work on it? You are welcome to! I'd love to help :)

    You can do this Desiree :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about this....I can take at least one of those little worries off your list. I have THREE sewing machines and if you break yours, I'll send you one of mine. How's that? You can scratch that little thing off the list.

    MATTER FACT.....let's say that you tear the fabric off the chair and can't fix it up the way you want. I'll even send you one of those old fashioned chair pads with ties on the back like my great grandmother used to have. You can call it vintage! So I'm in for a sewing machine and a chair pad. Does that help?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You knew I'd weigh in eventually, didn't you? :)

    D, you have had a very, very unsettling few months. Not all bad, but a large amount of change, and a lot of sadness, too.
    You got married. Big change #1.
    You have had two miscarriages.
    You're worried about getting pg again and staying pg.
    You've got a husband who is travelling A LOT.
    You are alone a lot.
    You stopped working.
    Girl, you are entitled to a breakdown. You have done a great job rationalizing and blogging your stress out, but clearly your body says it's not feeling it. I think this anxiety is a physical reaction to accumulative stress. It is okay to feel how you're feeling. It is so NORMAL.
    Yoga? Please tell me that you're doing your thing. This could help.
    Time? Maybe. Maybe you need to allow yourself to feel sad/mad/scared/anxious. You are NOT crazy.
    Medication? Maybe. If, after a while, you find yourself unable to do the day-to-day things that you used to do, maybe you should talk to your doctor. I did this once. I was on an antidepressant for 9 months after Ava was born. I did feel a world better. The downside is you don't really want to be on an antidepressant if you're TTC.
    Desiree, you have great worth, and you are a fantastic person. Having a job, or having children, does not define a person. You are still you, no matter what, and many, many people love you. I know I do. Quit being so hard on yourself.
    I am praying for you this morning. Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has said great words - you getting prepared for the next phase of your journey, our body and mind is coping with the change ahead which is made visible by your mental state of mind and physical display of anxiety etc. You just have to ride it through to get to the other side, people deal with things differently some are able to keep it bottle in for long periods of time(they are usually on the t.v. show Snapped..but different post) some let it out when they have to..I write out my thoughts..and when you go back to re-read the entry..you are like wow..glad that has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cori said what I was going to say. I think about you every day but I am afraid to reach out to you because I can't relate to all your worries and then I don't want to bug you.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Desiree,
    I visited your post because I saw you featured on YHL, and I was surprised to see that I could relate to you in many ways: not being able to have children, leaving my job, wondering what my purpose is (feeling like I don't have one) and loving house projects. ;) I read your post and thought, "Oh my. It's TRUE that I'm not the only one in my boat." God has been talking to me a lot about purpose lately (I've been asking Him a lot of questions!) and I think *maybe* it would be encouraging to you. So I'll just share my blog with you and hope God speaks to you through my latest posts on purpose.

    http://karinavenable.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Desiree,
    I visited your post because I saw you featured on YHL, and I was surprised to see that I could relate to you in many ways: not being able to have children, leaving my job, wondering what my purpose is (feeling like I don't have one) and loving house projects. ;) I read your post and thought, "Oh my. It's TRUE that I'm not the only one in my boat." God has been talking to me a lot about purpose lately (I've been asking Him a lot of questions!) and I think *maybe* it would be encouraging to you. So I'll just share my blog with you and hope God speaks to you through my latest posts on purpose.

    http://karinavenable.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You knew I'd weigh in eventually, didn't you? :)

    D, you have had a very, very unsettling few months. Not all bad, but a large amount of change, and a lot of sadness, too.
    You got married. Big change #1.
    You have had two miscarriages.
    You're worried about getting pg again and staying pg.
    You've got a husband who is travelling A LOT.
    You are alone a lot.
    You stopped working.
    Girl, you are entitled to a breakdown. You have done a great job rationalizing and blogging your stress out, but clearly your body says it's not feeling it. I think this anxiety is a physical reaction to accumulative stress. It is okay to feel how you're feeling. It is so NORMAL.
    Yoga? Please tell me that you're doing your thing. This could help.
    Time? Maybe. Maybe you need to allow yourself to feel sad/mad/scared/anxious. You are NOT crazy.
    Medication? Maybe. If, after a while, you find yourself unable to do the day-to-day things that you used to do, maybe you should talk to your doctor. I did this once. I was on an antidepressant for 9 months after Ava was born. I did feel a world better. The downside is you don't really want to be on an antidepressant if you're TTC.
    Desiree, you have great worth, and you are a fantastic person. Having a job, or having children, does not define a person. You are still you, no matter what, and many, many people love you. I know I do. Quit being so hard on yourself.
    I am praying for you this morning. Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin