Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Drifting

The Thanksgiving post and pictures are soon to come but I have to get this off my chest first.


I'm a little sad.  Melancholy, actually.


I'm growing apart from a dear friend of mine - even that word, 'dear.'  There was a time that she was my best friend in the whole wide universe and we were going to grow old together and our children would be best friends and all that. Now she's 'dear?'  I'm kinda sad about that.


And of course, it's not like this has been an overnight thing.  The phone calls became fewer and far between, the chatty emails with the exclamation marks dwindling and when you live in separate states, that's really all you have.  Now, as my life is taking a hard left turn she is now in my rearview mirror through no fault of our own.  It's just life.


Her kids are entering the teen years, my first isn't even born yet.  I'm finding a more kindred spirit in my neighbor who's four houses down that had a baby a couple of weeks ago.  We've already talked about doing things together with our kids since they'll only be a few months apart.  I'm looking to her for tips and advice - not to my friend with the teenager.  And I feel kind of sad about that.


I know it's normal for people's lives to take different turns and people grow apart but somehow I thought it wouldn't happen to us.  Yet, I guess a part of me knew it would.


I was at party for her and saw it happen.  There were other people there, people I vaguely knew and these people were a much bigger part of her life than I could be since they lived in town, next door, around the corner.  These people shared a carpool with her because their kids went to the same school, women she worked out with at the gym, work people she'd known for years.  Yet, the one who got to me the most was a mutual acquaintance.  Well, to me she was an acquaintance - to my friend she'd become very close.  You know what, no - this new girl took my place.  But, it was more fitting.  They both had children around the same age, they both had similar marital situations, they even kind of looked alike.  She was friendly to me, but I definitely felt that it was me that got demoted.  Yet, my friend did her best to bridge the gap.  She was a great hostess and chatted with me and shared pleasantries, yet her big smiles and belly laughs over some inside joke were now shared with the new girl.  Well, new to me.


I sent an email to my friend today and I was shocked at how difficult it was to compose, how hard it was *not* to sound newsy and superficial.  Yet, it had been so long since we spoke there wasn't anything else to write other than How's your family?  How are your kids?  How's your job?  When you don't talk to someone for over a month, the little day to day things that are only relevant in that moment don't stand up in a "conversation."  Those things that you would send in a quick text or those 'you just had to be there' moments are lost.


It's not like she doesn't understand sleepless nights and changing diapers, but come on, when those things happened fourteen years ago, you move on.  Other things occupy your plate, like cheerleading and dating and getting ready to drive for pete's sake.  It's a different life, a different path and we've been drifting for a while now.  


I've been writing on this blog for almost three years now (!) and writing is my thing and it comes easily to me.  When I'm sitting at a keyboard I'm rarely at a loss, but composing that email caused my fingers to stall.  I didn't know what to put, where to start, what to say, how to begin to catch her up with everything that was going on with me.  I thought that once I was finally successfully pregnant, I'd be on the phone with her every five minutes.  I think I've talked to her about the baby once or twice.  I don't even know if she knows it's a girl.  At this point it feels awkward telling her since I've known for so long, so I take the easy way out and say nothing and yet another day passes and we don't communicate.  That's not like me, especially with her.  Yet, here I am.


I know this is life and on some level I knew this would happen sooner or later.  I also know that this other girl is a much better suited friend to her at this stage in all of our lives than I am.


I'm still just a little sad though.    

11 comments:

  1. How are we in the same mood today?!! :( I was going to write about this tommorow. Thanksgiving always reminds me of one specific friend who when I found out I was preggers- then moved - she just DROPPED ME.. like dissapeared. Only to come back for a month- 7 months later-promising to be better- only to do it again. Someone in my life for 10 solid- amazing years- only to just dissapear.

    hmmm... I sympathize... and maybe on the other side she is sitting at her computer trying to figure out where to start too...

    I say- try to reach out-because there's very few people that know you " way back when" but at least you would have put out the effort.

    I dont regret trying with my friend, I just regret she didnt try back :)

    xox

    Ro
    http://randomroro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drifting away from friends is the hardest thing ever. I actually am going through kind of the same thing right now too... I asked her to be in our wedding hoping it would bring us closer together again, but it hasn't. And now I am having a girl I hardly talk to in my wedding. Wah wah. :(

    Anyway... keep trying. Great friends are a rarity, and it's worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a hard situation, and it's definitely something we all go through (especially those of us that have moved away from our childhood homes). My "BFF" since jr. high is an amazing woman - we were SO much alike all through college even...but then she got married and started having kids while I broke up with my long term boyfriend and moved across the US...and now she lives 1,100 miles away and has a 6 year old and 3 year old...and to top it off, she will never understand what it's like to struggle with Infertility. It's so sad to realize we have very little in common to talk about anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your in difficult position. Take comfort in the fact that the separation is gentle, although I'm sure that is not much of a comforting thought either. My BFF has been very mean to me and I had to stop talking to her. It is very difficult because I care about her, but I can't be friends with her right now.

    You may not believe in this, but astrologically, we are going though a phase of transition. There is a lot to learn from these changes, even if the lesson is difficult. As one astrologer told me, it is the "hallway" as in "when one door closes the other door opens but the hallway is hell." That is what the stars are predicting right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi D :)

    I am sorry you are having to suffer the loss of a "dear" friend. I too have been there & it is heartbreaking - especially thinking about all the fun times you had together as well as the hopes for more good times together in the future. It sucks our lives have to take different paths & that friendships can grow distant :(

    The great thing about TRUE friends is that even though it may be weeks or months or even years since you have seen or talked to that person, you can pick up the conversation & talk for hours as if no time has passed at all. I truly hope this friend of yours is "TRUE" because girlfriends like yours that you spoke of are hard to come by & even harder to lose!

    So with that said, I must apopgize for this friends "distance"! I haven't forgotten about you & I find myself thinking about you often wondering how you are doing, how your pregnancy is going, how you & Drew are managing. I miss our long emails to each other & I miss catching up :( Hoping after the holidays I can get back to a more laid-back, normal life & return to evenings on the laptop emailing awesome girlfriends down south ;)

    Sending you hugs,
    HT :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Heather, if she really is meant to be a true friend, then you will re-connect. I fell out of touch with my hometown bff after college, we just went in two completely different directions. But recently we've been able to talk and laugh like nothing. So even though we don't have much in common now we still have lots to talk about. Funny how geographical distance can mess up home grown friendships but you can make new, often closer friends, by forging bonds online with people far away.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  7. An email is coming your way.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This makes me sad for you friend! I recently had a "break up" with one of my best friends, that was really much the same. We just weren't in the same place anymore. We didn't have anything to say anymore. It was becoming forced.

    And I'm STILL sad about it... Lots of love to you lady. This part sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there. I'm late catching up on blogs, but definitely wanted to reach out to you. I'm going a similar situation now. I'm loosing/lost touch with a friend I've known since we were in pigtails. I'm not sure why, but after I got married and moved away, she put conditions on our friendship; seriously! Like how often I should call, text; what constituted "conversation".. it was a mess. At first I "played along" but if I "missed" a week of calling or texting, I would be fussed at by her. I'm not sure why things changed like this. I mean our lives were already in different places before this. So I wish I could make more sense of why things imploded so terribly. As you can read, I'm type-rambling because it's still very hard for me.

    I can only say, I truly empathize with you and I hope it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post makes me sad. But I understand the situation. It's unfortunate that as lives changes people seem to drift apart. But it happens to the best of us. The good thing is that eventually you guys will reconnect. You have a bond that has lasted many years (will not disclose as it gives away how "old" we are - LOL). She loves you. You love her. And that bond will triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a hard situation, and it's definitely something we all go through (especially those of us that have moved away from our childhood homes). My "BFF" since jr. high is an amazing woman - we were SO much alike all through college even...but then she got married and started having kids while I broke up with my long term boyfriend and moved across the US...and now she lives 1,100 miles away and has a 6 year old and 3 year old...and to top it off, she will never understand what it's like to struggle with Infertility. It's so sad to realize we have very little in common to talk about anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin