Monday, November 15, 2010

My head hurts

Thank you so much for the recipe ideas!  I'm totally going to make recipes of everything you've suggested and I'll definitely post on my progress.  You guys are the greatest!!


So, whenever I'm not here writing or reading and commenting on your blogs, I'm researching.  Pregnancy, birth, carseats, strollers, diapers, what to buy, what not to buy, when to buy it, what you have to have or your kid will be dumb, the stuff only dumb people buy and everything in between.  My head is swimming, my eyes are sore and I need a nap.  Drew and I have decided to start buying stuff after the first of the year so I'm reading up now so the purchasing process is less painful but the research is overwhelming!


The only thing that's fun is looking at nurseries and getting nursery ideas.  I have a folder where I'm saving all the cute pictures I come across but even that causes cuteness-overload at times.  I know I don't want anything pink and I don't want a theme - no classic Pooh, Disney princess or even zoo animals.  I know it's my kid's room but I have to be in there too and I want it to blend with the rest of the house while still being a baby girl's room.  Thankfully, I have some ideas - and if y'all would help me and please tell Drew that airbrushed murals do not belong in our nursery that would so great.  I'm trying to be open-minded but I keep sneaking glances at Drew to see if a cholo has somehow invaded his body.
airbrushed mural
cholo
My husband 
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong...


As for the pregnancy bit, I'm almost to the halfway mark - I'm 18 weeks and change and I still have ankles!  I'm so nervous that I'm going to blow up for the second half and I'm terrified of cankles!  There is a very popular blogger that chronicled every. single. thing. about getting ready for a baby, then she got pregnant and now she's a bona-fide mommy blogger.  She got cankles while pregnant and for some reason was obsessed with them, taking pictures of them and posting them on her blog!  With no warnings or anything - just one day, you'd click and bleccchhhhh!  Cankles!  


And now that I've named my fear to the universe I will get cankles tomorrow.  I will not post pictures but you will hear my cry to the heavens.  Every day, I'm drinking enough water to float a battleship in an effort to keep the cankles at bay.  Which of course means I have to pee fifty thousand times a day but I'll do it - I'll do just about anything not to get cankles.  I'm super concious of my posture at all times, being sure to keep my feet flat on the floor and not crossing my legs which might encourage swelling and if there's anything else I can do, puh-leeze tell me!


The Hypnobabies studying is going well and a lot of the wording is very similar to what I use in final meditation in my yoga classes.  Drew and I were listening to the first CD and shortly into it I exclaimed "Hey this is yoga!"  Drew immediately shushed me and said that I was breaking his concentration.  After the obligatory poking fun of the lady's earnest hypno-voice, we settled down and it's actually very handy.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the program.


But here's the super funny thing:  the Hypnobabies hypnotizes the dog and it makes her pee!  At first we thought it was a coincidence, but three times now the dog has piddled on the floor when I'm playing my CDs!  And she's completely housebroken!  Each time, Maya has laid on the floor wherever I'm playing the CDs, giving an occasional big sigh, and when she finally gets up there's a small puddle o' pee on the floor!  So now, I have to listen to it with earphones on or when Drew takes her for a walk because I'm getting tired of cleaning up after her.  There is no warning about this on the packaging and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this or if it's just my highly suggestible dog.


Tomorrow is my come-to-Jesus with my OB.  I'm really nervous and I hope she doesn't take the hard line with me.  I talked with my MFM and I got another opinion from a midwife and they've both said that with my clotting factors it's not really safe to go past 40 weeks, which is pretty much what I've found through my own research.  The $60,000 question is when is she thinking of inducing me?  Is that date set in stone?  Is there some test that she can do to see if me and the baby are doing okay with the pregnancy so that I don't have to be induced?  And if I have to be induced, can we exhaust all natural methods before going straight to Pitocin, do not pass go, do not collect $200?


I'll be asking her about her labor philosophy as well - under what circumstances does she cut episiotomies, how she feels about continuous fetal monitoring, eating and drinking during the birthing time, (Hypnobabies does not use the word 'labor' - dangit, I just said it again.  I'm a bad Hypnostudent.  I need to do more Hypnostudying.), and anything else I can think of between now and tomorrow morning.  I know she's doula-friendly, she's receptive to birth plans and she has had several patients who are yoga instructors so I think she's open.  I just don't want to come off militant and combative yet I want to make sure my desires are heard and honored to the best of her ability.  I just have to remember that this is still a business, I'm still a consumer and it's not wrong to speak up for what you want.  


Additionally, I need some new reading material - I'm getting kind of full of baby stuff.  What are y'all reading these days?  What's your favorite blog?  Besides yours and mine of course.  I found one the other day that made me stop in my tracks.  I was so taken in by the first post that I couldn't stop reading.  That doesn't happen often and maybe you'd like it too - Mr. Sponsorpants is a virtual AA sponsor but his words ring true even if you're not in recovery because you can substitute any problem for the alcoholism and it still resonates.  It's been a while since I found a blog that grabbed me like that and I thought I'd share.


Your turn - whatcha readin'?  I'm swimming in baby stuff and I'd love to come up for some grown-up air.    

15 comments:

  1. I am reading only depressing schoolbooks. I am looking forward to the end of the semester, so I can read some baby books and actually think about being pregnant. :)
    So if you get some good reading suggestions, pass them on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am OBSESSED with nursery ideas and this weekend, finally had to break it to my mom that I (too) do not want a "theme". She looked puzzled. I explained, I want matching colors, a unifying design, but I do NOT want someone looking at my bedding and saying "Oh, her theme is giraffes. Let's buy giraffe washclothes. And a giraffe diaper stacker." On and on...

    My other preoccupation is my registry, and I have researched every single thing on it. Every last BPA-free spoon and ergonomically correct carrier:o) I figure, this is ONE part I can control. And it is fun!

    Do you ever go to www.todaysbigthing.com? It is my favorite timewaster. I know you requested reading material but, I haven't been reading lately. If you are looking for god books, try Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and The Help. I reviewed both on my blog. If you are going to nurse Agent S, think about getting a Kindle! I love not having the flip pages! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following this blog for almost a year now & LOVE it. Kelle Hampton is a beautiful photographer, mother, wife & friend. Her pictures & blog is like a much needed breath of fresh air.

    Start here: http://www.kellehampton.com/p/nellas-birth-story.html

    It is the birth story of her 2nd daughter & it had me in tears. It will suck you in & leave you begging for more.

    Glad to hear you are doing well! Wow - 18+ weeks?! That is crazy girl! So very happy & excited for you! Mucho hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hypnobabies effect on your dog is too much!

    Cankles: I did get swollen ankles towards the end of my first pregnancy and they were so uncomfortable. During my second pregnancy, I got terrible varicose veins and had to wear thigh-high compression hose for the last half of that pregnancy. I am now forever doomed to wearing compression hose during pregnancy...but they have the benefit of keeping my ankles nice and trim! And actually they make my legs feel really good and energized, as long as I have high enough compression (mine are rated 20-30, or high compression). Anyway, you might want to buy a few pairs of knee-high compression hose. You can get really good prices if you buy the Ames-Walker store brand (www.ameswalker.com). You probably don't need thigh-high unless you have really bad VV like I do.

    I never got into using the Hypnobabies vocabulary. I still say "labor" and "contractions" and frankly I think it's just fine.

    Good luck meeting with your OB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahaha! I don't know... with an airbrushed mural in the nursery at least you would know that no other kid on the block would have the same theme! :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best book I have read lately was Kindred by Octavia Butler. It is an amazing story about race and history (with a little sci-fi thrown in).

    I agree, a theme is too much and pink is too gender spicific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am currently reading Pillars of the Earth. It's a long book, but a pretty easy read. I'm not in love with the writing style, but I am loving the story and the history behind it. Also on my list to be read soon are Glass House, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, In the Merde for Love...and a couple others I can't remember. I should write these things down!

    Good luck with the OB and the nursery design. I know you'll do great at both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cholo comment and pic cracked me up!!!! Now I keep thinking of that song, "lean like a cholo".

    I agree with you on that sickingly sweet pink business. I promised if I have kids, neither of them will be wearing the stereotypical colors!!!

    That is too funny about Maya.. maybe the cd relaxes her completely. lol

    I am reading: http://interiorintensive.blogspot.com/2010/11/same-olesame-ole.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. BAHAHAHAHA!!! Mya being hypnotized... Drew as a cholo doing graffiti... sooooooooooooo funny. Can't really take it. :) I am so excited for baby nursery posts!! One of my favorites I have seend in a while was on this blog: http://aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.com/2010/10/nursery-final-reveal.html. I would do a little more color, and I know you didnt' want animal theme, but it's precious. You can definitely take some inspiration from that.

    As far as reading... you should def read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. It's about an asskicking girl. You would love it.

    Best of luck on the doctor appointment!!!

    Now... get back to hypnotizing your dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha - I realized after I posted that you were looking for new blogs to read, not new books! I'm a bit out of it today... Anyway, I have no fascinating blogs to suggest at this moment, but I stand by my book list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost hollered at Cholo-Drew. Bad news, I don't think I'll be able to come to Dallas next week. If I do, I won't know until Monday or Tuesday.

    Books: Kinky Gazpacho-Lori Tharps. Memoir of a black woman who was always fascinated by international people/events/places, studied in Spain, met her husband there, married him, etc. Her life and experiences.

    Blogs: Since you've been looking at nursery stuff you have probably already seen this but if not; it's an offshoot of Apartment Therapy called Odeedoh.

    Other blogs: melissabeck.tumblr.com it's Melissa from RW New Orleans and she is so funny and relatable and has the cutest baby girl. You remind me of her with your writing style sometimes.

    midwifethinking.com

    myamericanmeltingpot.blogspot.com the blog of Lori Tharps, Kinky Gazpacho author

    www.snacksandshit.com ridiculous rap lyrics out of context

    www.embellishmeant.blogspot.com one of my best blog friends who lives in Dallas, married with a 1-year old girl, recently started following her dreams and started a photography business that has taken off in a stupid short amount of time (called Some Sweet)

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  12. I almost hollered at Cholo-Drew. Bad news, I don't think I'll be able to come to Dallas next week. If I do, I won't know until Monday or Tuesday.

    Books: Kinky Gazpacho-Lori Tharps. Memoir of a black woman who was always fascinated by international people/events/places, studied in Spain, met her husband there, married him, etc. Her life and experiences.

    Blogs: Since you've been looking at nursery stuff you have probably already seen this but if not; it's an offshoot of Apartment Therapy called Odeedoh.

    Other blogs: melissabeck.tumblr.com it's Melissa from RW New Orleans and she is so funny and relatable and has the cutest baby girl. You remind me of her with your writing style sometimes.

    midwifethinking.com

    myamericanmeltingpot.blogspot.com the blog of Lori Tharps, Kinky Gazpacho author

    www.snacksandshit.com ridiculous rap lyrics out of context

    www.embellishmeant.blogspot.com one of my best blog friends who lives in Dallas, married with a 1-year old girl, recently started following her dreams and started a photography business that has taken off in a stupid short amount of time (called Some Sweet)

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha - I realized after I posted that you were looking for new blogs to read, not new books! I'm a bit out of it today... Anyway, I have no fascinating blogs to suggest at this moment, but I stand by my book list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am currently reading Pillars of the Earth. It's a long book, but a pretty easy read. I'm not in love with the writing style, but I am loving the story and the history behind it. Also on my list to be read soon are Glass House, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, In the Merde for Love...and a couple others I can't remember. I should write these things down!

    Good luck with the OB and the nursery design. I know you'll do great at both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best book I have read lately was Kindred by Octavia Butler. It is an amazing story about race and history (with a little sci-fi thrown in).

    I agree, a theme is too much and pink is too gender spicific.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin