Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wanna buy my house?

FINALLY, it's official!


If you were one of the few that saw my post before I took it down, this is old news.  If you follow me on Pinterest, you probably already have an idea.  If you follow me on Twitter, you're probably pretty sure you know what I'm going to say.  If you don't do any of those things because you have a life, I applaud you.  I used to have a life too, but now I follow people on Pinterest and Twitter.


Anyway, it's official!  We're moving to Pennsylvania, home to the US Mint, the Liberty Bell, the Amish, the Pennsylvania Dutch and my favorite, the Philly cheese steak! *That right there was the extent of my knowledge about Pennsylvania.
Last year, when we were in Philly for Drew's brother's wedding.
I was four months pregnant and I hosed that sandwich!
To think, I can drive here soon!


As soon as our house sells, we're packing up and moving to Reading, which is about an hour outside of Philly.  I know nothing about the area except that it's two and a half hours away from New York City and I'm already daydreaming about taking Sofia to Central Park.  I'm super excited about that!


Drew actually accepted the job last week but was superstitious about letting me write about it because he still had to sign the papers and take the drug test.  I was like are you seriously worried about not passing the drug test?  Is there something you need to tell me?


Finally though, the papers were signed, the cup got peed in and I can start talking!  It's been killing me because I've been dying to ask about Pennsylvania and Philly and Reading and winter and clothes and snow and cold and am I going to freeze my face off and how do I dress my kid and really how cold is it and how long is winter there exactly??


I'm a little nervous about the snow.  My current plan is to stay inside until spring.


But before any of that happens, we have to sell the house here.  We (me, the baby and the dog) will stay here until it sells and Drew will commute back and forth, so I'm really hoping that it sells quickly.  I've gotten spoiled having Drew home, it's been such a wonderful blessing.


The house goes on the market tomorrow and in preparation, the realtor brought a photographer to take pictures of the house and they are amazing!  As in, I don't want to sell my house anymore or I want to find its identical twin in Reading.


However, before I post the pictures I have to rant about how much of a pain in my ass it was to get the house ready.  They call it staging - I call it 'I'd rather rip my hair out strand by strand.'  When he came through, he was like this has to go, this has to be moved, this has to go, put that here, take that out, add that and then pretend like you don't live here until it sells.  Hey guess what?  You CAN'T do that with a baby and certainly not with a dog who sheds if you merely look at her.


So yeah, it was tense.  Yeah, Drew and I tussled.  Lots.  The maid did a deep clean but we still had to go behind her and clean again because we. live. here!!  We also got the floors done again and got claw caps for the dog so she can't jack them up again.  
Although we left her with *some* dignity and got the black ones.

The biggest pain by far was having to find a place for all our stuff, because you don't want someone to come in to your house and marvel over your decorations, you want them to see the house itself and love it and submit an offer on the spot.  Furthermore, you don't want any of your personal things to create a bias, so we got rid of all evidence that we have a dog, in case people coming through are dog-haters and instantly decide not to buy a house a dog has lived in.  So her crate, her bed and all her stuff got banished to the garage.  Poor doggie - when we left the house the other day, she went to the spot where her crate was and got all confused that it wasn't there anymore.


I'm hoping it'll all be worth it and the house will sell quickly so we don't have to worry about being separated for too long.  Besides, I want to get started on a new house as soon as I can!  I've been prowling the internet looking for inspiration and I'm dying to paint something and retouching the trim in our house definitely doesn't count.  


How could you not want this house?


Damn, that's a good-looking nursery

No more mess on my dresser!


I'm tripping out at how big the breakfast nook looks here!
It looks way different from my house tour, right!

When I saw these I told our realtor that I'd changed my mind and we were staying in our house forever.  I can only hope that the next owners love our house as much as we have and that they treat it well.

As for me and my family, it's onward and forward and upward and outward!  So once again, my ReaderFriends, give me what you've got on the East Coast.  I've already gotten the sweetest email from Jenny (hi Jenny!) giving me the lowdown on the wawas, which apparently are gas station sandwiches that are a must-try.  I'm totally down because there's a gas station up the street from us that makes the most amazing tacos.  I'm all about the gas station tacos so if the gas station sandwiches are anything like them, I'm already happy.  Carolyn has given me some pointers on dressing my baby which is all important because Sofia lives barefoot in onesies and has virtually no cold weather clothes.

However, I need more information.  How do I find a pediatrician?  What about mom friends?  Are there fun things to do in Reading?  Why do I keep wanting to say REE-ding?  Will that go away?  OOOOHH!  YOGA!  Any pointers on good yoga studios?  I haven't been to a class since the baby was born and my body tells me about it every day.  My goal is to get back into it when we get there because by then she'll be old enough to maybe go to a Parent's Day Out program a couple times a week for a few hours and Mommy can go get bendy!

I've lived in Texas since 1995, with a brief stint in LA, but mostly I'm a Texas girl.  I'm excited about this new chapter but I've gotten quite comfortable here in the South.  It's going to be a major adjustment and I'm sure I'll have my moments.  But overall, I'm looking forward to the new adventure and I'm reeeeaaaally looking forward to a new house!  We spend lots of nights browsing on Trulia, and it's been so much fun pinning all my inspiration photos.

Oh yeah, as if we weren't suburban enough, we went and got a station wagon.
Drew says it's not a station wagon, it's a *Subaru*.
Looks like a station wagon to me.

Because Drew traveled so much, we've gotten by on one car for over two years now.  However, now that Drew is going to travel much less (yay!!) and is going to be commuting every day, two cars became a necessity.  Drew's the car guy and he picked it out, saying something about all-wheel drive, holds its value, lots of space, blah frickin blah.  I hate cars and I hate car payments even more.  If it gets me from point A to point B and it's all one color, I'm good.  I would have kept my little Civic forever and I really would have kept my Accord forever, but having a baby and a dog nixed that quickly.  So the Soccer Mom car it is for me, and the Dad Station Wagon for Drew.  God, we're old and so not cool.

I need another tattoo.

...........

Buy my house!!

42 comments:

  1. so many thoughts!! (1) okay good I'm not crazy. I knew there was a post about moving and then, when I came back, it was gone (2) the house looks SO good!! it's going to sell so quickly. the staging is very important. pretty sure it's part of the reason I just HAD to see the house we ended up buying. the staging was so nice I could just envision us living there immediately. (3) yay again for coming to the East, I was hoping for south east, but I'll take 1 outta 2. (4) I have no tips on snow. we don't get that much here. just come down here to SC for winter and you can catch up with Drew when the snow is gone! :-) (5) I'm so excited!!!! Just think of all the fun decorating and DIY projects that are headed your way!!!!! and (6) walks with Sofia in central park = LOVE IT! I was just talking about how I can't wait to have a daughter one day and do annual trips to NY for fun mom/daughter things. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I live in DE, which is not tooooo far from Reading, PA. Blogger meet up anyone?! I wish I had some recommendations for you on stuff like pediatricians and yoga studios. How exciting?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at i need another tattoo. And yeah it's totally a station wagon.
    BUT YEAH THINK OF THE SHOPPING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are seriously too cute! Good Luck with the move and if I lived in Texas I would totally buy your house haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What exciting news! And I love your attitude about it! And your house in Texas is gorgeous! I bet it sells quickly! I know nothing about Reading, so I'm no help there! So excited to read more about your upcoming adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh we'll buy your house! We're in DFW! So can you make a /really/ good deal that two college grads (one in grad school) can afford? It IS gorgeous though, we would take really good care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, when I look at a map, Reading looks to be on the same latitude as Columbus, so I bet the weather is pretty similar in Winter. If this gives you a clue, our Thanksgivings are way warmer than Easter. Winter pretty much goes from mid December through March. My bday is the 31st and I have had more than one bday blizzard! Fall is awesome, and so is June. You'll enjoy having seasons! You'll probably get a JJ Cole Bundleme ASAP:o) And a cute Carters Fuzzy Bear zip up snuggler. Fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The house looks great, it really does. :) I'm sure you'll find something great in Reading! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH so it's pronounced redding? ...see i thought it was reeding too. in California (where I'm originally from) they have a city called and spelled Redding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having lived in central PA for quite some time (though not any more), all I have to say is NO SALES TAX ON CLOTHING!!! And Reading has a huge outlet mall. 'Nough said. There also used to be a great restaurant at the Reading Airport - it was a wing place and it was really good. Not sure if it's still there, but hopefully it is!

    You won't be far from Hershey, PA either. There's an amusement park, a zoo and of course, chocolate. And Twizzlers.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to Philly (area). We have a pretty nice park here too, actually the largest urban park in the country. I have lived here for almost five years now and I didn't think I would fall in love with a city like this....EVER. But it is the largest, small town ever. I know that makes no sense, but it's not NYC. It never can be, it's large in population but the city is divided into cute little city neighborhoods and is far more manageable.
    You're in Reading so you can get to Hershey (as someone said) and also the little one will love Sesame Place which is outside the city, as well as the Philadelphia Zoo (which is kiddy central in Philly).

    BTW, your house is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congralutions on the move girl!!! I'm so happy for you guys and only wish I lived where you guys are currently so we could snatch up your house and try to pay you extra to leave it just the way it is.... I've said it once and I'll say it twice- your decorating skills are not one to be played with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY for being official! :) That photographer did AMAZING!!! I mean we all knew your house was amazing, and I loved your house tour video, but those pics are perfect! Can't wait to hear all about this adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, your house looks great! is that a study adjoining your master bedroom? can't wait to hear more about the impending move and your new adventures in reading. i'm gonna miss hearing about my hometown through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to the East Coast! You will love PA... great areas outside of Philly to check out. And the "Subaru" is a very cool car on the East Coast. Especially in black. Mama, you are styling! I have a black Subaru as well, with tinted windows (to protect our 12 week old from the sun!) and I can't tell you how many guys come looking. And check out REI (rei.com) for baby winter coats... they have awesome primaloft bunting coat things that are awesome for winter.

    http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500007_Infants+and+Toddlers&seq=1&page_size=109&hist=cat%2C4500007_Infants+and+Toddlers%3AInfants+and+Toddlers&pageSizeRedirect

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are hilarious!!! I love how excited you are. I am from LA, did not realize you're in TX since i just started reading your blog! That is quite a move! :) Exciting!!

    I have always had a dog, but I've never heard of claw caps! LOL!

    You're house is GORGEOUS!!! I WANT IT! But we're not moving to TX.

    Hope someone buys it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting! I love your house! I live in DFW myself. Could I get some more information on the house?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm for it! I love blogger meetups! It's so much fun to meet ReaderFriends in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll tell you everything you want to know! Send me an email and we'll go from there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I kind of wish we knew about the claw caps the first time we did the floors. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just went to that site and I love it! It will be cute to see the baby dressed up like the Michelin man...or girl... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Technically, it's the third bedroom but we use it as a sitting room/study. We were going to put the baby's room in there but decided to go ahead and give her the other bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw, thank you so much! I had a great jump-off point because the house itself was so amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Drew saw this comment and got all upset. :-) I however, got SUPER excited! What is this magic of which you speak?! I cannot WAIT to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was in Target the other day and they had these furry zip-up blanket things - I have no idea what they're even called but they were so cute! And I think I know what those BundleMe things are - they're covers that go over the carseat right? I'm so clueless about winter stuff...

    And since we both have b-days in March, I guess that means blizzards for mine too - yippee. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anything's affordable if you have enough roommates/jobs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You'll have to take a roadtrip to Reading and we can spend the day in NY. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Come have drinks in New York with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so down for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so exciting, its like the new fall season preview of the Desiree, Drew, Sofia & puppy show!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Living in PA is almost like living anywhere else. You'll figure it out in no time. I'm personally not too familiar with Reading, I live an hour-ish away in the Hershey area, but I have friends of friends in the Reading area and they obvs love it there. If you can't find any houses you like there...there's always a quick trip up the turnpike to Hershey (Drew can handle a commute, right?!)

    The winters aren't all that bad. Although, I personally LOVE the Autumn here. You'll get used to it pretty quick...although depending on when you move...you might be in for a temperature shock. Start stocking up on sweaters & cute boots! Baby winter clothes are of course adorable, just remember to layer, layer, layer!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Second best thing about PA is it is home to the oldest brewry in America...Yuengling a fabulous lager! http://www.yuengling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. My husband grew up in Reading! Some of his family still live there and we go visit often! I love going to visit and seeing all the sites. Lots to do. You might consider living outside of the city...you'll understand when you get there or maybe that's just me being silly:) It's beautiful in the country and don't forget to hit up the 'Shady Maple Smorgasbord' for a good buffet (I like breakfast best) in Lancaster County, aka Amish town. Some Pennsylvania quirks I have picked up from my hubby and maybe you haven't heard of....Icy Tea, Shoefly Pie, dippy eggs, and birch beer. My hubby's fav 'ma and pa' places to eat are Rocky's, P.I. (Pizza Italian), and Pizza Como all in Readying. Also get used to calling it P.A. Sorry this is all scattered:) Good luck! Can't wait to read about your adventure's.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What great tips! I haven't heard of any of these things so I'm excited to try them out! Thank you for all this!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sooo close to NYC! woot-woot! Welcome to the east coast =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your house is so beautiful, you should be an interior decorator.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm super stoked for you and Drew and the family! Should be a fun adventure and I'm hoping you guys really have a wonderful time up there. I've been away from the blog for a while (life...go figure) but I HAVE been thinking about you and wondering if anything had been decided! I'm so happy to see that it has although I will be sad to see you leave big ol' Texas :(

    Let's get together before you leave. Good luck on selling the house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Okay, a few things:

    1. I love your house so much I want to punch you in the face. But I wouldn't really, because that would be wrong. :) It's absolutely perfect and might have made me lick the screen a little bit.

    2. I have been to Philly! My hubs and I went in the fall of last year. It was a total blast! We stayed in Philly, did all of the sights there and then spent a day in Atlantic City (about an hour or so from Philly). AC was a lot of fun but the boardwalk got progressively shadier as the afternoon wore on. I'd be out by nightfall.

    PS
    Familiarize yourself with the location of the King of Prussia mall. You're welcome.

    3. I'm just up the road in Oklahoma, so I'm pretty sure you were supposed to ask permission before moving that far away from me. It's what BFFs do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I know right! There was definitely some inappropriate moaning when we first found the house.

    And this is how it always happens, I meet someone amazing right before I have to leave. It's so much garbage. But that just means you'll have to make another road trip and we can do a day trip to New York! Or maybe this King of Prussia mall - I'm hearing wonderful things about this magical place...

    I'm already getting started on our friendship bracelets.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi! Welcome to PA (soon). I'm in Pittsburgh, which is about 5 hours to the west of Reading, but my sister lives in Allentown, just about 45 mins from Reading.
    I think you'll love it. I've been to the outlet mall there - and yes, no sales tax on clothing throughout the state. SO fabulous. You'll go to NYC and be like, shoot, I can get the same thing at home for 8% less!
    Best of luck, can't wait to hear what you think of winter. It's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yeah, when Drew read that comment he was like, "Oh GREAT." He's just not ready for the havoc I'm prepared to wreak!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin