Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Mom Bag

Lots of things change when you become a mom.  You never sleep again, your heart grows a million sizes, you see the world differently, blah blah blah.  You know one of the biggest changes I struggled with?  


My handbag.


I didn't realize how important my handbag was to me until I had to stop carrying one in favor of a diaper bag.  All of a sudden my most important accessory had also grown a million sizes.

My super stylish girlfriend got me my first diaper bag at my baby shower.  She is single with no kids.  That's lesson one:  Buy your own diaper bag.  Handbags are an intensely personal thing and you're better off picking one out for yourself and showing it to the person who wants to get you something, just because no one else really knows your personality, your wardrobe or even how you plan to use your bag.  I didn't know this and figured diaper bags were diaper bags.  The only thing I told her is that I didn't want one that was too precious.
Nope
No thank you

No offense to anyone who carries a diaper bag like these, but it's just not my thing.  I don't find patterned diaper bags very versatile and they practically scream "There's poop in here!"  So she went for one that was a little more gender-neutral.

This bag worked great in the beginning, when I didn't get out much and Sofia's things were small.  She wasn't too interested in toys, she hadn't grown into her cloth diapers and life was good.  I loved the cross-body style and I felt very hip and urban carrying it.  Then I started getting out more and I started cursing the giant messenger flap.  There were three pockets on the outside of the bag, but trying to lift the flap, unzip the pocket, dig in the pocket to get something while trying to keep the flap from flapping down, all one-handed with a crying baby, and life started getting hard.  Lesson two:  Get a bag with easily accessible outside pockets and easy zippers.  Flaps suck.

As I started to get the hang of the mom thing, I also started to feel like my bag was a little too gender neutral.  I mean, this was my bag!  Pretty much my only accessory!  Heels were gone, earrings and necklaces got sacrificed to curious baby fingers, daily makeup was a joke, I never really wore rings and I was starting to feel a little less than feminine.  So I started the search for a handbag that could function as a diaper bag.

It needed to be big - like mom big.  I was carrying cloth diapers now, a change of clothes, and.... well, you'll see.

I also wanted it to be leather.  That way it could somewhat dress up my outfit and make me look slightly more put together.  Outside pockets were a must, but I didn't want it looking like a fisherman's vest.  I searched high and low, staying up nights - seriously!  I needed a lot from this bag and I intended to carry it for several years so it had to be up to the task.

I wanted something brown and distressed because most of my wardrobe is brown and I wear jeans or yoga pants pretty much every day so I didn't want it to be too structured and fussy.  It had to have a short shoulder strap so I could still hold the baby with both hands.  I know the cross-body style is better for the back but it also made me feel mannish so I'll just have to do some extra yoga to counteract the potential back problems.

I consulted Ain't no Mom Jeans for tips and guidelines and that's where I first saw the Foley and Corinna Mid City Tote.

Now, if you click the link, you'll notice that this little bag costs a shit-ton of money.  Money that I don't have and wouldn't pay even if I had it.  But I loved the bag - so I went looking for its twin.  Even a long lost cousin would work for me too.  I looked at Overstock and kind of liked this one.
I liked the style but I didn't care for the colors.

I kept an eye on Craigslist and Ebay too.  I probably spent a month looking online for bags and going to stores when Sofia would let me.  Nearly every night I'd check different websites looking at different bags, but I kept coming back to the Foley and Corinna.  

And then the purse gods smiled on me.

I found a Foley and Corinna on Ebay for a fraction of the original cost.  I was nervous as hell because Ebay is notorious for fakes but this one felt right.  The pictures looked good, I asked my questions and I went for it.  I paced back and forth, waiting for it to come because I wanted to like it and I wanted it to work and I was prepared to leave all kinds of negative feedback if it was ugly or fake looking in any way.

It wasn't!  It was beautiful!  Gorgeous dark brown leather, beat-up just the right amount and BIG.
I can carry my house in here.

I've had this bag for a couple of months now and I love it.  It's roomy and stylish and goes with everything.  I was worried that it would become a black hole but it's got two inside pockets and two outside pockets and that works just fine.
The shoulder strap is handy too.

As for what's in the bag?  Wellll,
1.  Diaper wipes, just in case.
2.  Spare outfit for the baby.  This is a MUST.
3.  Cloth wipe solution and washcloths.
4.  Wet bag for cloth diapers
5.  Maxi-pad, just in case and if someone asks you for one. 
6.  Liquid hand sanitizer
7.  Hand lotion
8.  Dairy pills because I'm lactose intolerant.
9.  Boogie wipes because I don't want Sofia to be the Booger Kid.
10.  Changing pad
11.  Pacifier case in case she ever decides she'll take one.
12.  Bib
13.  Boon spoons for food pouches.  I don't really need these but they're in there, just in case.
14.  Dreft laundry pen
15.  Flip and digital camera bag with cord
16.  Gum, baby nail clippers and travel tubes of Aquaphor.
17.  Checkbook and lots of pens.  Why do I have so many pens?
18.  Coin purse
19.  Credit card holder
20.  Disposable diapers, just in case
21.  Sunglasses
22.  Burp cloth
23.  Cloth diaper - sometimes I carry two
24.  Hand sanitizer wipes - when I run out, these will go away
25.  Mommy cards - these actually come in quite handy!
26.  Bronzer - my attempt at being cute.  I have never touched it.
27.  Card for the guy at the nail salon.
28.  All my lip stuff and a Tide stick.

I just realized I didn't number my coupons.  They're right below the maxipad.  Coupons are very important - I mostly have Buy Buy Baby, Babies R Us and Bed Bath and Beyond coupons.  Did you know Bed Bath and Beyond coupons never expire?  And that they're kind of a drugstore now?  With makeup and toothpaste and everything?  I get my toilet paper and shampoo and stuff there now and I get 20% or $5 off and sometimes both!  I'm such a mom now - whenever we go someplace, I'm all "Wait, let me see if I have a coupon!"

So that's my mom bag for ya.  I realize that I may carry too much stuff, or you may hate my bag and that's totally fine.  Handbags are personal decisions and what works for me may not work for you.  This post was actually really fun for me to write and it spurred me to clean out my diaper bag so it's all good.  It's definitely a work in progress and as Sofia gets older and her needs change, my bag will probably change too.  But for now, this is me!
Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Excellent post! The bag is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'm so in love with that bag. For real. I want it to be my purse right this instant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing on this post! I backed my diaper bag (which I dont like, btw, it was bought for me at a baby shower), and I realized I had NO idea what to put in it. We'll be cloth diapering too, so I'm definitely going to be referencing back to this.

    PS - we have the same wet bags! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag almost makes me wish I had tiny tots again and had to lug everything around again! But since mine are 4 and 6, I want it for my purse! Because despite not having to carry all their crap around anymore, I have to lug mine around! :)
    Looks like I'll be following your lead and staying up till the wee hours waiting for a cheaper one on Ebay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep...adore the bag! Thanks for writing about it. What's the significance of the Mommy cards? I have an idea... you've spoken about "mommy friends" (in better wording) before. Do you have any stories about slipping the cards to people? I also like the bun! :::walking away slowly::: because this is borderline blog-stalking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bag is FABULOUS!!! O M G, I love it. You know, my husband spent a shatload on a handbag for my birthday... before Zo came, I wanted that bag so much!!! I remember having my friend snap a picture of it, so she could send to him as a hint of the perfect gift for me. Now I have it, guess where it is...still in the box. I haven't worn it, as fabulous as it is because there is no way I can carry it, a diaper bag, and a friggin car seat with a baby in it.

    I am NOT that strong. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your bag is huge! I carry an old red leather purse that's on its last legs and I'll need something else soon. I don't carry that much stuff...here's what's usually in my bag:
    wallet
    keys
    phone
    chapstick
    pad (for same reasons as you...who knows when my period will come back though)
    disposable diaper
    85% dark chocolate is usually lurking somewhere in the depths
    1 or 2 cloth diapers if I'm going out with Inga
    a sling (only occasionally, since she's mobile now and big enough to sit in grocery carts)

    I don't really carry that much with me, so I can get away with something small. Any ideas? I can't stand the 1980s style bags with all the studs and ruffles and gathers. I lived through the 80s once already. Please don't bring it back again. Other than that I'm open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I only have one bag, I still go in shifts. When I come home, I run to unlock the door and throw my bag inside and then I come out and get the carseat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so funny! You're not a stalker and I'm going to talk about Mom Hair next. It's way less fun.

    Drew got me the mommy cards. It just has my name on it with my number and it says 'Sofia's Mom.' They're for when I don't have my phone handy or I don't have pen and paper to get someone's number. I haven't handed out a ton, but it's nice to just give them the card without fumbling for phones. Definitely a mom thing I didn't think I'd need but very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have to do some searching but they actually have guides on there written by sellers to help you spot fakes. There were lots of F&C fake bags on there but this one seemed like the real deal. I'm so glad I took a chance because it's a really great bag. The leather is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so impressed! How do you get away with so little? What do you do about poops? How do you clean with no wipes? And what do you do if they ruin their outfit?

    I could probably get away with not carrying disposable diapers and wipes but I just hate the thought of being caught somewhere without something I need. Plus, when we travel I don't carry the cloth diaper stuff (wet bag, wipe solution) and I've got my eye on a bigger wallet so I don't have to carry my credit cards/ID, coin purse and checkbook separately.

    You just have to hunt around till you find one that speaks to you. I feel like it's like perfume or lingerie - only you know what you like best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never use wipes anymore...just wash her bum in the sink. Or now that she's bigger, I can sit her on the toilet and wipe off most of the gunk before rinsing the rest in the sink. Sometimes it would be handy to have wipes when I'm out and around, but it's never something I remember to buy!

    I've only had poop blowouts with disposables so that's not really a worry with cloth (she wears disposables only at night).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait, when you're out in public you wash her poopy backside in the sink? Is that allowed?

    I too only get blowouts in disposables. The last time we traveled, Sofia had a magnificent blowout right as we boarded the plane. I was crammed in the tiny airplane bathroom, trying to get poop off of her back, trying not to get it anywhere else, trying to soak her onesie as best as I could and change her outfit all before they finished boarding and we had to sit down for taxi and takeoff! That's one of those times I was so glad to have a boatload of wipes, an outfit change and a wetbag to stuff it all in! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I drive my sister nuts. My MIL buys me designer purses/bags (that she gets on sale) and I use them as diaper bags. Just the other day I bought a Tommy Hilfiger bag from my sister's store (manager aka discount!), so I could give her the designer one. Just to shut her up of course. lol ;) Your bag is HUGE. It's like carrying a whole other child on your hip!
    I carry:
    hand sanitizer
    chapstick
    wallet, keys, phone (sometimes ipad)
    diapers (2-3 because I tend to forget to restock it), although now it's pull ups for baby girl since she's mostly potty trained. I just don't want an accident in public.
    wipes
    toy cars for the boys
    maxi pad.

    annnd that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I'm running in for one thing or I'm actually carrying the baby I'll just grab my credit card holder and leave the bag in the car. It'll be so great when I don't have to worry about accidents in public!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the 'mom bag' very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your hair in these pics, and that bag is almost as big as you. i bet Sofia could even fit in there! :) i really like the color.

    big bags are definitely a mommy must and i also had to make the switch from little purse, to traditional diaper bag, to big stylish bag as A got older. i may be a mom but i still have to keep to my cuteness standard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol @ is that allowed! i wondered the same thing. i'm a total germaphobe.

    p.s. the airplane blowout is my total worst nightmare!! sorry that happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I was carrying a diaper bang I had EVERYTHING in it like you do lol. I had to. I went from an actual Diaper bag to a huge purse and I liked that best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your bag, I wish I had thought to get something like that when my daughter was a baby. That bag is so cute, my daughter is a teenager, but I may still have to get that bag anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would most definitely rock this bag as a purse. Cute.
    AvaLin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the bag. Do you know what model it is? Mid City or City?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's the mid city, but I'm not 100% sure. It's actually an Anna Corinna, from before they became Foley and Corinna so this is the one the mid city was modeled after I think. However, I don't see a marked difference between mine and the current F&C mid city.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin