Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Ergo and a cup of wine

Hey I've got a funny joke for you:  Who has two thumbs and should *NOT* have stopped taking her Zoloft?  THIS GUY!  Desiree Wynn, nice ta meetcha.


What a day.  Good LORD what a day.  Let's start with the most fun part.


I thought I was pregnant.


According to the start date of the spotting I had when we were on vacation, I should have started my period on Monday.  Oh PS, I'm probably just going to type a bunch of words and not link to previous posts or put pretty pictures because we're not going to talk about how many times I refilled my cup of wine.


So the spotting on June 10th.  Well, me and the hubs had relations, shared the marital bed, did the bow chicka wow wow on a day when I was to have ovulated.  I didn't realize until I checked the app on my phone (there's an app for that)  and was like, Oh SHit.  The last thing in the world I needed was to get pregged up just as we sell our house and move and I start DIY-ing everything, so OF COURSE I was preg.


Except I wasn't.  I mean, I'm not.  And I'm surprisingly disappointed.  Which has me all fucked up the head because now is NOT the time.  I don't want to drink the water, remember?  But when I saw the 'not pregnant' on the test, my heart did a little sinking flip flop, which then colored the rest of my day even though I didn't want it to.  Nor did I want my brain to spin out and get all loud with thoughts of secondary infertility and what if I *can't* have any more kids, but wait maybe I do want more kids, how come I'm not pregnant, oh god my body *is* broken, everything sucks.  And more stuff like that.  So that was awesome.


THEN, the appraisal on the house is tomorrow morning.  More stress because it's the next step and what if the appraiser says our house isn't worth what we're asking for and the buyers walk away and then we're back at square one and we *don't* get to be together as a family and this bullshit keeps on going.  And then Drew was like, 'let's clean the house all super sparkly so the appraiser says our house is worth like a million dollars and the buyers pee themselves because they're so happy they're getting such a great deal' except there's no let's in this particular game.  It's 'Desiree you clean the house while wrangling a busy toddler who's teething her face off.'


Because yeah, my kid is a holy terror because of the teething.  REmember when I wrote that post that teeth are overrated?  They are SO fucking overrated.  I took her to school today because we leave town tomorrow, thinking I was going to get so much done.  No dog, no baby, I was going to be Superwoman.  Except I wasn't.  What happened to my day?  I swear, it was like I dropped her off, did a load of laundry and had to turn right around to pick her up.


Then I picked her up and her teacher was all, 'she didn't eat her lunch.'  Mommy guilt heartSTAB.


'She only napped for 30 minutes.'  heartSTAB


'She didn't poop.'  heartSTAB because my kid is the most regular kid on the block.  I can almost time her morning and evening deuce and the only time it doesn't happen is if she's stressed.  HeartdoubleSTAB


'She cried off and on all day.' STABmyfacekillmenow


So of course I was questioning my life as I drove her home, wondering if this mother's day out program is even worth it, because she obviously hates it and probably hates me for leaving her.  I held her extra close and promptly fed her when we got home and she ate like she had never seen food in her life.  Seriously, call CPS and take her from me because I suck as a mother.  Wait, don't take her from me because I'll die.  But God, what's the point of taking her to this place if it's jacking her all up?


She nursed and slept like she'd been waiting to do just that all day so I was scraping the bottom at that point.


Then she woke up with new life, just in time for me to realize how little time I have to get everything done.


Clean the living room, that it took her 2.5 seconds to demolish.
Finish the laundry.
Mop the kitchen floor. (I actually got that one done.)
Try and get her to eat dinner. 
OH YEAH, pack for our trip tomorrow!  NBD
Clean the house so the appraiser says it's worth a million dollars.


Did you know that toddlers can destroy your will to live with just a few well timed screams?  Because they can.  And Sofia was ready to make me pay for leaving her with the monsters at Mother's Day Out.  PS, they're not monsters but by the way she'd scream if I put her down, got more than two inches away from her, or dared to break eye contact with her, oh yeah, they were monsters.


I got more and more anxious as the thoughts of all the stuff I had to do before we leave tomorrow swirled around my head.  But if I put her down, she screamed like her very soul was on fire and she was being eaten by twelve limbed demons all at once.  And you may be a better man than me, but I cannot take that shit.  It shreds my nerves and I can't remember my name.


Which is how she ended up strapped in the Ergo and I ended up with a small cup of wine in my hand as we walked around the darkened house.  It was a small cup and again, we're not going to talk about how often it got refilled.


But I'm slowly calming down.  And guess what, the appraiser can suck my balls because I'm leaving dirty dishes in the sink.  I am one person.  And sometimes I can't do it all.  Sometimes all I can do is walk around the house with my baby and a cup of wine, because PS she refused to nurse so the wine was A-OK.  She's either weaning or was too agitated to nurse, which is real frickin agitated because the kid will nurse anytime anyplace.  


At any rate, she finally fell asleep and I'm so rattled I had to sit down at the computer with my SMALL cup of wine and calm the F down.


Today was a real I Suck As A Mother day.


And I still have to pack.

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I cannot handle my kid crying either. As a matter of fact, I do what I can to prevent her from shedding tears in the first place. My husband says I'm an enabler, I say he's a ra-tard. How do you enable a frigging baby? #whatever #Imranting

    Back to you!!!

    You are doing the best you can do. You are a great mom. There is no way to make a baby happy AND make your home look like it belongs on HGTV, so baby comes first. Screw it. If they can't appreciate the lived in-ness of a few dirty dishes then they my friend, are empty and cold outside. P.S. Dress Sofia up nice and cute, she'll charm the pants of of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you handled the situation like a champ! There are so many balls being thrown at you right now, and no matter how talented you are, you're bound to start ducking from those balls flying at your face. Wait. That sounded dirty. Didn't mean it that way. Unless it made you feel better. Then I totally meant it.

    Seriously though, you're in the home stretch. There's no way your house isn't worth a million dollars. It's gorgeous. Even with dishes in the sink. You're going to close and move to PA and get a fixer upper and have your husband there so he can hold Sofia while you drink wine. And then you can get pregnant, and Drew can drink wine. It is going to be perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness you had that glass nearby!! :)
    Days like that are hard, but it sounds like you handled it like a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope your day gets better! i just wanted to stop in to say, i really enjoy your blog and look forward to your posts! you tell it as it is & completely hilarious too :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a PERFECT description of someone who needs zoloft - me being one of them. For the LOVE. I'm so glad someone else is this same exact way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Desiree...you made my day. I'm sorry that it was somewhat at the expense of your hellish day...but man you are funny. I have a 6 month old and can totally relate to the screaming-if-you-set-me-down-thing. I've cleaned my entire house with her strapped in the Beco carrier. Damn...if I would have only thought about the wine.

    Next time. And thank you for making me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't have said it better, Carolyn!

    Not to worry about the appraiser. Everytime I've sold or bought a house...the house ALWAYS appraises for the asking amount...to the penny. I predict the same will happen for you, besides...your house is AMAZING! You watch and see...then let me know how...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes definitely. Always have wine handy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't gotten it back yet, but here's hoping you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just...can't stop reading this and laughing. "I swear, it was like I dropped her off, did a load of laundry and had to turn right around to pick her up." It's like after you have a kid, time without the kid goes at warp speed when really you want it to slow to a crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true! I love her more than air but naptime is never long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, girlie.....well, I just read your post of the 24th (I'm a day or two behind my blog reading)...and your house appraised for your asking price. :) Super-big smiles for you guys! It's just like magic...EVERY time. I'm so excited for you guys to move into a new home, explore a new town...and to be together again under the same roof. Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin