Saturday, July 28, 2012

The suite life

Bright and early Thursday morning, the movers arrived to begin the packing.  Y'all.  The ONLY way to move is to have someone else do it for you.  Bless Drew's company for paying for all of this, bless them.  The big rig pulled up, the guys rolled out and they got to assembling all the packing materials and in no time, our house was a mess o' boxes.
Have you ever seen such a beautiful thing!?
It was so beautiful that I was just walking around the house,
 taking pictures of all the boxes.
It's just so pretteh!!
A separate company came to make the crates for the 
TV, washer and dryer, and our mirrors.  
I was fascinated by the power tools and I was totally hovering like a weirdo.
Power tools are hot.

They left the beds intact so we were able to stay in the house Thursday night and they were back Friday morning to start loading the truck.  Us girls left so we wouldn't be in the way and when we got back, my beloved precious house was empty.
Did you know my bedroom curtains were too short?  
It's not like it was a big deal because they were hidden by the furniture.
That wasn't there anymore.  *sniff*
Uh.  Mah.  GAH.
My baby's bedroom.  Empty.  Desolate.
Echoing with memories.  
I changed my mind.
I want them to put everything back just the way it was 
and I'm going to float balloons up the chimney 
and we're taking the whole house to Pennsylvania.
I can't take it.  
This is my HOUSE.
Picture me whimpering and whining and sighing melanchol-ily.

They finished around five, Drew and I finished cleaning and painting and that was that.  I was elated that this was it, but oh my GAH I was sad that this was the last time I was going to be in my house.  I stood in this living room in my wedding dress.  I cried on that bathroom floor when I couldn't stay pregnant.  I climbed those front steps with my newborn daughter.  This was my HOUSE.
A parting shot of the truck that now holds my life.
I know you're not supposed to be attached to material things, but
I had a mild panic attack as they go ready to leave. I told them to drive safe, 
that they hold my baby's crib, her toys and
suddenly I wanted to go with them to keep our things safe.

I very nearly started running after them when they actually pulled away.
Moving day from Desiree on Vimeo.


With our life on its way to storage in New Jersey, we put our suitcases in the car and went to our hotel.  We'll be here until tomorrow, when my mom, the baby and I fly to Kansas for the week while Drew drives to Pennsylvania with his things and the dog.  I wanted no part of a five day road trip with a toddler, a dog and a car stuffed to the gills so we'll be hanging out with my family for the week while Drew and our friend Harrison make a boys' trip of it.
We don't have TV in our house, I mean
 in our OLD house so watching the Olympics is a treat.

We have an awesome suite at the Aloft and it is so amazing to simply breathe.  The packing is done, the travel arrangements have been made and there is nothing left for us to do but get started on our new life.  After the hectic planning and frantic sorting and packing and preparing, it seems odd to have nothing to do.  Our going away party is this afternoon and we're just chillin in the suite until then.  

You guys.  I think we made it.  I think we did it.  We're at the finish line.  I need to make my sentences longer.

But seriously, it's time to celebrate!  This moment is the culmination of ten LONG months of STRESS With A Capital STRESS and we made it through alive and together.  When I think about all the nonsense and garbage we've been through, I am supremely confident that we can make it through just about anything.

Not that I need a test anytime soon.  You hear me Universe?  Leave me the F alone for at LEAST a year.  You owe me that.

So, with that, I'm hitting publish and I'm off to get ready for our party!  It's going to be so great to just celebrate but I'm anticipating some ugly crying because this is our last day in Dallas.  Our flight leaves bright and early Sunday morning and that will be the end of our story in Texas!

Huh, guess the ugly crying is starting a little earlier than I thought.  Excuse me while I look for a tissue.
A final picture before leaving.
I love you, house.  You were good to us.
We'll miss you so much!


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Ugh - this post is bittersweet! On one hand I am so very happy for you all but on the other hand I feel sad you are leaving the house you shared so many precious memories in. Wishing you safe travels & looking so very forward to seeing you & little Miss on Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got like that when we moved from Florida to PA even though I am from up here.
    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having someone else pack for you is the BOMB! We're military and have moved 4 times in 5 years (one being overseas) and I can't imagine if I would have had to do that myself. Have fun partying and tell Drew to take off that KU shirt ;) (K-State grad, born and bred).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I knew you were leaving soon but not THIS soon! I really envy having someone else move you. Well, I'll just have to deal with the fact that when you're an academic, you don't get a big moving package! Our last one was just enough to cover the cost of a U-haul (we'd saved all our old boxes so we made do with what we had on hand) and the piano movers.

    Enjoy hanging out in your fancy suite! Now I can't wait to see what you're going to do with your new house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud of you guys and I wish I could give you hug because I am THAT happy for you. You guys have been through a lot and now, it's your season!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. I teared up reading this post. Legit. Not kidding. Now I need to make my sentences longer. :) Seriously though, I am OVERJOYED for you and your family and your next step! It's all so exciting, but I completely get being sad to leave a place with all those memories! I had a hard time moving from our townhouse to our house, and that was 30 minutes away. I can't imagine moving across country!!! Hope you had a blast at your going away party, and enjoy the "suite" life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh! I'm gonna miss ya! I thank you so much for inviting me to the Going Away and I thought of a million and one things I wish I'd gotten to say to you before saying good bye like "you are freakishly gorgeous and down to Earth, you make me sick", "baby Sophia is a doll baby", "Drew is just sweet! Lucky woman :)", "I will loathe not being able to hang out again".... So many things flood to my mind now where I totally blanked on Saturday. hahah

    Congrats, good luck and I am very, very happy for you. Can't wait to hear more of your Adventures on the East Coast. We'll be here when that winter starts to kick your butt ;) hahah Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin