Tuesday, October 9, 2012

All the pretty butterflies

Drew's parents were here this past week for a visit, and as everyone knows, having houseguests spurs you to get your house in order.  For example,
This is where they were going to sleep.
I kinda needed to do something about that.
They are kind and understanding people, but this simply will not do.
That's more like it.
At least they would be able to sleep in the guest room without feeling like they 
were on the set of Hoarders.

It was so great having the extra hands to keep an eye on the baby and to get small things done around the house.  Drew and his dad hung closet rods in the hall and guest room, as well as the towel bar in the hall bathroom.  Previously, we'd just been tossing the towels over the door or laying them across the toilet, or using other equally redneck towel-hanging methods.
Someone please insert the punchline here:  How many men does it take to hang a closet rod?  I couldn't think of a good one.
They also hung the bamboo shades in the baby's room, and LORD A'MIGHTY, do I have a post about those damn frickin bamboo shades!  I very nearly lost my will to live because of those effin things.  But the tutorial I have will make it all worth it, I promise.

But one of the most awesome things I was able to do while they were here was make Sofia's butterflies!  Let me explain...

Remember her wallflowers?
I just went back and read that post and got all teary-eyed.
My baby is going to be 18 months old in two days!

Anyway, in all the unpacking I still haven't found the wallflowers for her room and her canvas wall was looking very sad and lonely.
 Can a girl get some decorations up in this piece?!

And then, like always, the Pinterest gods bestowed upon me the most fabulous inspiration.
The most gorgeous little girl's room you ever did see.
source via my Pinterest (psst, follow me!  Please?)

I needed those butterflies.  I must have the butterflies.  The butterflies will make everything all right.  So I followed the tutorial, that consisted of printing off the template and cutting out the butterflies.  Did you follow that?  I know, it's kind of complicated.  

I got $10 worth cardstock from Michael's because I wasn't sure how many butterflies I wanted on the wall.  I ended up with way more than I put up there, so I'm not sure what to do with the rest.  But I LOVE how they turned out!
 Much like the wallflowers, there is no rhyme or reason.  I wanted a somewhat flowy shape but
I wasn't too OCD about it.  Plus, they're only up there with scotch tape so if I want to switch them, it's totally not a big deal.

Now here's my question:  Like I said, I have more butterflies.  I have quite a few orange ones, and a few more green ones and like two or three white ones.  Do I put more up there or leave it as is? 

Of course, my crappy photography skills don't do the butterflies justice, but the cardstock is iridescent and I love that little shimmer.  I adore the green butterfly and I even put one up by her other canvases.
Because he's just up there with scotch tape, he didn't stick so well to the canvas.
I had to move him to the wall and he's doing nicely, thank you for asking.

I'm in the lifeforce-draining process of making her curtains, but I'm encouraged because her room is coming along nicely.  And I'm really loving all the color in there.  I definitely didn't set out to have a theme, but it's definitely leaning towards Rainbows and Happy.  It works for me because the colors aren't primary, so they're not overly childish and smack-you-in-the-face-every-time-you-go-in-there.  I have apple greens, lemony yellows, tangerine oranges, and a nice gray-blue on the walls so it's not too overwhelming.

Now that we're really in our house and finding our routine, I have been so happy.  I didn't realize how much I missed being able to live in my home until now and let me tell you, I do NOT want to move for a very very very long time!

Okay, I better run.  Sofia's sleeping and I have to try and finish her curtain.  You know, the 95 inch wide one.

Photobucket



3 comments:

  1. Love the butterflies!! SO CUTE! :) I think it might be cute to add in a couple more colorful butterflies into the mix, but it looks great the way it is! I love the idea of having a random one hanging out by her canvases!! SO CUTE!!!!!! :) Good luck on that curtain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you are doing such a great job decorating Desiree!!!!! I absolutely LOVE the butterflies and I'm leaning towards keeping them how they are. I think you need to be on DesignStar. #nofooling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those butterflies are great. I love the little green one too. I think you have enough butterflies around the canvas, but there might be a place for them somewhere else? I love the color of the walls in nursery too.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin