Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Anatomy of a birthday

Sorry I've been MIA, y'all.  A week in the hospital followed by a week of party planning followed by said party can really take it out of you.  Oh yeah, and let's throw some cold-turkey weaning right into the middle of that little swirling vortex of chaos to make it really fun.  But we'll talk about that later.  I put up a really bitchy woe-is-me post but I deleted it, because I need to focus on the happy, and what's happier than Sofia's birthday party!  Nothing I tell you, nothing.  So let's recap before she turns three, shall we?
I got her invitations from Melissa at Sleeping Owl Creations
and was so happy with the way they turned out!
I put them on some cardstock to beef them up and dropped them in the mail!

Originally, Sofia's birthday party was supposed to be April 6th, but she got out of the hospital on the 5th, so that wasn't going to happen.  Even though she was pretty much back to normal when they discharged us, we all needed time to settle back in, so I pushed it back a week to the 13th.  My mom had arrived on the 5th and was going to stay until the 14th, and it was really important that she get to be there for her grandbaby's birthday.  I thought an extra week to plan would help with the stress, but of course we had to start weaning that week, so yeah, there was much stress.  But that's a whole different post.

Sofia's actual birthday was the 11th, and just the four of us had a little party.  I made a small cake and like the true procrastinator that I am, I got a tin of Betty Crocker frosting and a generic candle from Rite Aid when I went to pick up the pizza we ordered for dinner (which wasn't Domino's.  It was from the 'authentic' Italian place in town and it was still disgusting.  Guess I'll be making my own pizza from now on...)

The good news is, Sofia didn't mind one little bit.  Please excuse my ridiculous high-pitched mom voice.

Ironically, Sofia doesn't have much of a sweet tooth,
 but she was digging the chocolate frosting.
Tearing into her present from Mommy and Daddy.
At first, she was really delicate with it.
Then she started getting all Jerry Lee Lewis with it.
Butts and feet are just as good as hands on a piano, don't you know.

It was a nice, chill evening with just family but soon enough it was time for the big show.

I told myself that this year, I wasn't going to go overboard.  I told myself that I'd keep it small and simple, that I wouldn't stress out.

Yeah.  Right.

I went to Party City and lost my mind.  I snatched up everything they had in the rainbow Gabba colors.  They had a small selection of Gabba party supplies and I cleaned it out.  I walked out of there loaded down with everything rainbow and Gabba.  My house looked like Gabba exploded in it and I loved it.
I bought some foamcore and cut out a number 2 with an exacto knife.
My mom dyed the coffee filters and glued them on the board and I loved how it turned out.
You know I have to have my ombre somewhere, and I've decided that every birthday
from now on has to have some ombre element.
Sofia loved the backdrop.  She was running up and slapping each character, going
"This! Muno!  This! Plex!  This! Toodee!  This! Brobee!"
There was a ton of food.  We had subs, meatballs, fruit salad, veggie cups, beet chips, goldfish, cupcakes and cake.  We've been eating subs and meatballs all this week.
Look!  A tutu cake!
We got regular plates and cups from Ikea so we wouldn't go too crazy with the Gabba theme.
We also swagged the cheap tablecloths from the chandelier and put balloons at the corner but it was hard to get a good shot of them.
You can sort of see it here.
You get the idea, right?
I even got some DJ Lance glasses so everyone could put them on and get their pictures in front of the backdrop.
Take 1
Take 2
Take 3.  Well, it was a good idea, anyway.
Then we took the party outside for some bubble blowing time.
It was definitely a high point for Sofia and Gracie.
After that, the party moved to the playroom for the cake.
I will completely admit that I corralled everyone downstairs solely because we 
decorated and I wanted everyone to appreciate Drew's and my mom's hard work.
This party would not have happened without my mom's help.
She and Drew worked so hard to bring my vision to life.
How awesome is my mom in her DJ Lance glasses!
I tried to color the cake with raspberries but it came out gray, so I caved and put a few drops of pink food coloring.  I was sad because the cake didn't turn out as well as I would've liked, but because I have awesome friends, no one said a word.  
Besides, Sofia just liked blowing out the candle.
And I'm totally due for a playroom update because this table is new, 
along with lots of other stuff!
Sofia and Carter gettin' down on the karaoke machine.
"When I say Hey, you say Ho! Hey! Ho!"
You have to use your imagination but right here, Sofia was singing
Biz' birthday song and it was HILARIOUS.

The party was two hours long and that was perfect.  We had a lot of fun and everything went off without a hitch.  I wasn't able to get pictures of everyone in their glasses in front of the backdrop, but that's ok.
I had a vision of getting a picture of all the kids in their glasses, 
but this was the best I could do.  Babies don't understand vision.
Everyone got their own t-shirt as a party favor.
The onesies were my favorites.
After everyone left, we started opening presents.
Sofia is one lucky little girl, I tell you what.
I mean, Grandma got her some Sperrys!
I'm nowhere near cool enough to pull off Sperrys and my kid does it with ease.

It was an amazing day and Sofia had a blast.  However, if we're being completely honest here, I'm glad it's over.  As much as I want to just do things small, when it comes to Sofia and celebrating the day she was born, small just isn't in my vocabulary.  The day she came into our lives is no small day and I just can't celebrate it in a small way.  And yes, I know Sofia could care less about a tablecloth canopy or streamers or even cake, but I just can't see having a birthday party without all that.

That's why I'm not even bothering to make promises about next year.  She's my baby, she always will be and there aren't enough balloons, cake, or streamers in the world to match how happy she makes me.  So even though I was up until two in the morning hanging things and making beet chips thirty minutes before the guests came, I'd do it all again.

I'm just glad I have a year to recover.

Happy Birthday Sofia.  You're my best gift and I love you.


Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Holy cow. This looks wonderful!! I love the #2 on the door and the tablecloth swag on the ceiling is amazing!! Nice work Mama! I can't wait to see what #3 brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but slow your roll chick! :-) I'm still catching my breath from this one and there will probably (hopefully) be a new baby when birthday #3 comes around, so who KNOWS where we'll end up...

      Delete
  2. You did an amazing job! I tried to go low key for this birthday too, but I couldn't help myself. I made this baseball cake and baseball cupcakes which took FOREVER. Six hours total, I think? Craziness.

    And I just wanted to say that I know what a hard decision it was to wean Sofia. All the doctors I've seen about my miscarriages have told me the same thing: I have to wean my son for them to do anything. At first I was like, Okay, sure, no problem, but then as I thought about it it became harder and harder. I ended up deciding I just can't do it right now. I'm trying acupuncture and we'll start trying this next cycle. I really hope it works because the miscarriages are so fucking hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about to pour it out about the weaning because yeah. That shit is no joke...

      Delete
  3. Her birthday party looks so sweet and colorful! Love the DJ Lance glasses! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next to the t-shirt party favors, the glasses were my favorite part. :-)

      Delete
  4. A.Mah.Zing!! You absolutely rocked the #2 birthday party Mama! Can I hire you for Mason's 1st birthday party?? Sofia looked like she had a great time along with her little friends :)

    Miss you :(
    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too! I'm hoping to get back to KC this summer, and you know I'll help you with whatever you want for lil Mason's first birthday! :-)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the theme! I think the chandelier swag is my favorite part! SO CUTE! :) Happy birthday Sofia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Of course, I saw it on Pinterest and wasn't sure how it was going to come out, but I was really pleased!

      Delete
  6. The decorations were beautiful! I loved how you ended this post. I have one child. He's 10 now but I always do big birthdays for him. People scowl at me but he is MINE and I will celebrate him forever, for always, even when we are both old and gray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Even though I was exhausted and stressed about her party, I really wouldn't have it any other way. Her reaction to the decorations made all that hard work totally worth it!

      Delete
  7. I've been awaiting this post! Love how colorful everything is and I think the cake looked great! The tutu thing was adorable around the cake plate. And I think we all know where I stand on celebrating our children. What a silly thing for anyone to judge (hope that hasn't happened to you!). Tomorrow I took a full day of work to get everything together for L's party. I might need to have your little mommy fly in to make a 2 for us too. I thought you bought it! Job well done to both of you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The 2 was so easy - foamcore board from Target, a 79 cent pack of coffee filters - I only used one. Put the filters in water with food coloring and put them in the oven at 350 for ten minutes to dry them out. Scrunch them up and hot glue them to the board! Super simple and it actually didn't take long - I'm keeping it for the playroom! :-)

      Delete
  8. love it all! great job mama! the swag was really cute and your table setup was very pin-worthy! i love the ikea cup/silverware idea, totally gonna have to steal that one for Baby E's 1st birthday party (which i've already started planning even though it's not until September). i figure if i start now, i won't have to spend that entire week beforehand wild-eyed and in a frenzy trying to make everything perfect.

    glad y'all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT ONESIE IDEA IS GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Is there anything you ARE NOT good at?

    #iDie

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin