Friday, August 16, 2013

Babies are complicated

Just as soon as word got out that I was pregnant, nearly everyone was like Maybe it'll be a boy!  Especially when I didn't feel the same as I did with Sofia's pregnancy, the chatter got louder.  Maybe it's because you're having a boy!

I get it.  Our society's preference for boys is nothing new and until now, I could have cared less.  I was in my own bubble of multiple miscarriages, wondering if I would even get to have kids.  Obsessing over whether it was a girl or a boy was a pastime for people who had normal regular pregnancies.  Instead, I was obsessing over whether or not my baby was alive.

But when they told me Sofia was a girl, I was ecstatic.  I didn't know it until that moment, but I wanted a girl.  I mean, I wanted a girl and having Sofia in my life has been an absolute dream come true.  She's my buddy, my homegirl, my mini-me and it's awesome.  I absolutely love having a daughter and when I became pregnant a second time, there was no doubt in my mind.  I wanted another girl.  I wanted Sofia to have a sister.  But I kept my mouth shut, because that's not what I was supposed to want.  Apparently, having 'one of each' is what I'm supposed to want.  I'm supposed to want a son.

I wish they'd celebrate girls like this, you know?

When they told me that it was another girl, I was overjoyed.  I got what I wanted - I got my girls.

But then it got complicated.  I got what I wanted, but it was no secret that Drew wanted a son. With Sofia, as soon as the doctor said it was a girl, Drew half-jokingly said "Well, I guess we're having another one!"  I punched him in the arm and well, the rest is history.  Drew loves his daughter more than anything and he will love his second daughter just as much, but I know his heart hurts a little that he may not get a son. 

I say may not, because I'm not opposed to the idea of a third child; it's just that conversation is a loooong way off and I'm old.  My baby-making years are coming to a close and we may decide that two is plenty.  But I get the disappointment, because if Sofia had been a boy, I would've been like Hell YES we're having another one.  And then if the second baby had been a boy too, I would've been like Hell YES there will be a third child.  And so on until I got a girl, so I get it.  In my book, Drew is the only one on the planet allowed to feel a slight bit of disappointment.

That's why I got all sorts of pissed when I told a family member that it was another girl and they were like OOOHHhhhhhhh.  Sofia's going to have a sister.  I got all Mama Bear and was like Hey!  That's my daughter you're talking about!  You're not allowed to be disappointed!  It's not your kid!  You're only allowed to feel joy, dammit!


And now all of a sudden I'm thinking about what it really means to have two kids.  I don't ever want this new baby to feel like it's not okay that she's a girl.  I want her to feel as loved and wanted as Sofia, because she is.  I don't want her to have a complex about not being 'enough.'  I also don't want Sofia to feel like she's being replaced or that she's losing me.  I want both of my girls to feel like they are honored members of their family and I don't ever want anyone to EVER treat either of my daughters like who they are isn't acceptable.

Besides, having a son doesn't automatically mean you've hit the 'jackpot.'  There's nothing guaranteeing that he'll do what you want - i.e. have babies and carry on the family name and whatnot.  You could have a boy and he could decide that he doesn't want kids and there goes your family 'legacy' (which chaps my hide because girls can carry a legacy just as much as a boy.  Are we really this hung up on a name?  If it's that big a deal, keep your name after you get married.  It's not like you stop being a member of your family if you get married.)

I never gave any of this thought until now, but now I'm hyper-sensitive to the environment I'm bringing my new daughter into.  I want her to have to the same loving and adoring world that Sofia had when she was born.  I want her to feel just as welcome as her older sister, and the thought that anyone, anyone would treat her otherwise?  Ooohh, it gets my blood pressure up because that's my baby you're talking about.

Now, I'm not trying to get all Women's Studies on you, namely because I'd be in over my head in about two seconds.  But having two girls has really opened my eyes to this part of society that I never noticed before.  I mean, I knew that boys were preferred, I knew that in China, sex-selective abortions are extremely commonplace (which is totally biting them in the ass, by the way), it was just never anything *I* had to think about.  But now that I'm going to have two girls, I'm totally obsessed with making sure that my second daughter knows that she is perfect just as she is, that she's valued and treasured and loved completely and totally.

But am I right for doing that?  Is there 'error' in overcompensating?  It's not like I'm going to say to her every day "It's fine that you're a girl" because that's just weird and will most definitely give her a complex.  But I have this need to protect them both, unlike anything I've ever felt and I'm not sure if I'm trying to protect them from something that isn't there.

I should know better than to let one ignorant comment dampen my parade, but I can't help it.  I'm not naive to how stupid this world can be and I know that the 'so when will you try for that boy?' questions will come.  

I was even good about it during that particular conversation - I didn't jump their shit and be like WTF is wrong with you?  What, like my daughter isn't good enough?  My daughter is perfect, just like her older sister and you can go drink a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up!

See, I was good.  Instead, I glossed over it and changed the subject, like an adult.  

And then I came to my blog to vent.

People are dumb and they're going to make ignorant comments and ask rude questions and just generally be assholes.  And it's fine when they're dumb assholes to me - I can handle it.

But oh my God, the thought of someone making my daughter feel bad that she's a girl?  Seriously, my eyes are welling up with tears just thinking about it.  

Girls are awesome.  Boys are awesome.  Babies are awesome.  And maybe one day, in the far-off future (we're too stupid to get our shit together in the near future,) when someone has a baby, we can just hug them and be happy and joyful that their baby is alive and that once again we get to witness the miracle of life.
Babies are the best.

*Also, thank you guys for sharing in my joy at having two daughters.  You guys most definitely are NOT dumb assholes.*


Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. I was unaware of this whole preference of boys! I did not know society would have preferred I had a boy- but maybe it is the second baby thing. I think most people ASSUME you want one of each. Which is silly. Don't let anyone rain on your parade, mama bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my mountains I'm willing to die on. Sexism is still insanely prevalent in our society and having two girls had made me realize that even more. But I must say, I feel like I hit the friggin' jackpot with my two girls, and I mean that. I really, really do. But you will also tell them THEY CAN BE ANYTHING, ANYONE they want, ALWAYS--no matter what anyone says. You be the momma bear because they're gonna need you behind them telling they how strong and brave and smart they are. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited about you having a second baby, it never occurred to me to ask what sex you wanted your child to be. A healthy, full-term baby would just fine, right?

    Having said that, and now that we're over the hump (so to speak), I SO get you wanting to have another girl. I have two girls...and while I would have loved/spoiled the baby no matter what the sex, I secretly wanted another girl with baby number 2. Why? I don't have a clue...except I wanted my first born daughter to have a sister. My husband also wanted girl babies. Crazy, isn't it?

    I agree with Stacie, I think most folks just ASSUME people want one of each sex. You know...so mom can teach the girl baby how to sew pillows ( lol ) and the dad can teach the boy baby how to install recessed lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with tinab158, i completely forgot about the sex of the baby...you were preggars. Yipppie for you.

    I too wanted a girl. I am the one and done crowd cause I am older than you. When the person told me my child was a son, I was truly sad. Then felt tremendous guilt for not being thankful for having a healthy child.

    But God knew what he was doing. I love my kiddo. I am not a girlie girl and I have enough trouble doing my own hair, let alone my son's hair. We are working on that cute toddler, soccer player pony tail thingy. It sucks shopping for clothes cause the boy's selection is so much more limited than the girl's. But it all worked out for the best.


    But we are done...no way I can handle being 41+ waddling to the restroom.

    Congrats to you guys....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so with you! I've said so many times that pregnancy is a young woman's game, because I definitely feel my age this time around.

      I too felt guilt when they said it was a girl, but more because I was nervous to tell Drew and then I was like, why am I feeling bad telling him it's a girl?!

      I'm telling you, it's complicated!

      Delete
  5. You know my feelings on this :) Yay for sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe they assume you want one of each because raising a boy and raising a girl is so different and each a pure joy in its own way. Not because a boy is better. I have one of each and can honestly say both have always been treated equally by everyone. And both are pure joys in their own ways!! If we were to have a third, I'd be perfectly happy with a second of either..no preference except healthy..which at the end of the day, is all that should matter.
    Like someone commented above, I didn't even think of the gender when you announced, just woohoo another healthy BABY!!!! Congratulations girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A close friend has two boys already and desperately wanted #3 to be a girl..she got her wish! Ignore the haters! :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the well wishes! And you're right, babies of either sex are awesome and bring joy no matter what. I was just taken aback that my own family member would have the nerve to be anything but happy for us, knowing all that we've been through.

      Delete
  7. I should probably email this comment to you, but I'm going to cross my fingers that my future child never sees this comment, or if they do, that I've worded this in such a way that it's not hurtful.

    I was actually surprised by this post! I didn't realize there was a preference for boys in this country...if anything, I feel like girls are felt to be more special. They have cute clothes and cute accessories, whereas trying to find something cute for a boy is rather difficult. It's gotten better in recent years, I think, but I think boys get the short end of the stick when it comes to attention. At least when they're younger.

    My husband and I were both hoping for a girl when we found out we were having a boy, and I'm hoping this second child is a girl, though the technician at our NT scan thinks it's a boy. When she told me she thought it was a boy, I just deflated. Honestly, I'm exhausted by my son's energy. And the thought of another boy made me want to sleep until the baby is born since I know I won't be sleeping for a long time after that! I have a few friends with girls who have a ton of energy, but for the most part, boys seem a lot harder than girls in the first few years of life. Again, this a complete generalization and there's always the exception to the rule.

    On the other hand, if I'm going to have two children of the same gender, I'd rather have two boys. I'd love to have a boy and a girl, but if that's not happening, I'm thrilled to have two boys. I 'get' boys. I understand them. I communicate well with them. It's not that I don't communicate well with girls because I communicate just fine with them, but the drama that goes along with being a girl? I just don't know if I'd parent as well in that kind of situation, you know? OF COURSE I would rise to the occasion, but it's just different. I do wish I was having a girl because I think a mom/daughter relationship is so special, and since I don't have a good relationship with my mom, having a daughter would be my second chance at having that. But if that's not to be, then that's okay. A second chance at a good parent/child relationship will be all I need in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, girls are great. My friend has two little girls and they are kind to each other, most of the time, and quiet, most of the time, and generally easier to handle. I would be so excited to have two girls. Congratulations!!! I'm really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I completely missed the fact that baby number two was on the way! I haven't been by this blog in too long, obviously.

    I'm always surprised to see the expectations that come with gender. So many girls and boys don't fit into our assumptions of gender because they totally become their own people. My mom, for example, assumed that I'd be a home and hearth kind of daughter who would marry ten minutes out of high school and fill the house with grandchildren for her. She didn't know what to do with a studious girl who would grow up to not own any makeup (even lip gloss) and spend her days tromping through cemeteries and writing about historic crimes (though the cemeteries and crimes happened after she died). Meanwhile, I have a niece that is so girly and covered in pink that *I* hardly know what to do with her.

    On the other hand, my husband, who comes from a family that hasn't had a girl born directly into it since 1909(!), had an extremely tight bond with his mom.

    My wish for all my friends, then, is to have kids they can bond with and understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely understand where you are coming from - I find out the sex of #2 this week and everyone is like "maybe it will be a boy!" Which yeah, is cool. But I really kind of want another girl and I guess that surprises people. I had so many comments the first time around that people just saw my wanting/having a boy, but I really wanted a little girl. I guess the tattoos and hot rods means that I can't want pink and glitter and a mini-me... or not, since my daughter is a person, not a stereotype. And I love having a girl and she has a ton of clothes so why wouldn't I be happy with another? So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the second of two daughters, I want to give you a serious high five for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I am so behind the times! Once google reader went down I have fallen far behind on all my blogs. Anyway congrats on having another girl, and amen to everything you've said. Honestly raising girls doesn't seem different than raising boys--each of my children is different but I don't really see it as being boy-ness or girl-ness, just Inga-ness and Dio-ness. They're just as lovely and snuggly and cute and (sometimes) infuriating no matter if they're a girl or a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If its any consolation to you, my husband and I are def trying to grow our family at some point. And while neither of us has a preference as to gender, and when the time comes, don't even plan on finding out until birth like we did with our daughter...your post the other day announcing that you were having another girl...its had me sort of wishing for another girl too. YOUR excitement is contagious and YOUR joy is all that matters right now. Well, Drew too, but you know what I mean. Haters gonna hate. And some people, as well meaning as they may be, just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh. I hate that people make comments like that! SO DUMB! Coming from a life with a sister... let me tell you that it's pretty awesome! :) I think Sofia is going to make a great big sister, and baby girl is going to be awesome too! I don't think you need to worry about her feeling "less than". Her mommy will not allow that! :)

    I also understand Drew's POV that he wants a son. Jake was totally the same way. But Drew is going to LOVE his girls so much. It melts my heart just thinking about it. BAH! :)

    I'm so dang excited for you. Time to go shopping for more pink and frills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your girls are awesome!

    Truth: As I told you on your other post, I want this baby to be a girl. I love the Kardashian sisters and admire the relationship they have with eachother. They're so close!

    But I feel guilty saying that because J wants a boy... so I want that for him. Another truth, I told him I'm scared of even raising a little black boy in this world today (hello-Trayvon Martin), but he chides on that it's all on how they are raised.

    But back to you. I think as your 2nd girl is born, the stupid talk will cease. No one will give her grief because she isn't a boy (and if they do, you have FULL RIGHT to sock them). I think what people are saying to you just goes along with stupid-shit-people-say-to-pregnant-women. I'm sure your box is about half full now because they keep them coming all day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, CONGRAAAATS! Babies are awesome.

    My maternal grandma had 5 daughters, 2 lived. My paternal grandmother had 5 boys, 4 lived. My mom and dad had me, then my sister. After my sister was born, my paternal grandmother called my maternal grandmother to essentially offer condolences for not getting a grandson. WTF?

    I have three boys and they are all awesome. I had such a hard time convincing husband to go for baby 3 and in great part he agreed because he wanted a girl; the older boys did as well. Boys and dad were really disappointed when they found out that it would be another boy! They adore him now so much it's totally ridiculous.

    I did notice, though, that while everyone goes all gaga over first-time moms, nobody gives half a $hit the second and especially the third time around (at least they didn't for me). People at work mostly ignored my 3rd pregnancy, maybe because they thought I was insane and didn't want to comment on my "questionable" choices (it's very uncommon for academic women to have more than 2 kids; people assume you are not serious about your job or whatever if you have more). Anyway, people are weird. Fuck 'em I say. Your family is what matters.

    Enjoy your pregnancy! We want belly pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this. I definitely do want to experience both a boy and a girl, but now that I have my daughter I would be totally fine having another...if I'm so lucky. BUT, I am terrified that I couldn't possibly love another human like I love Kenley. So in my head I think if I had a boy next it would be easier because the love could be different but if it's a girl I couldn't possibly feel the same about her, even though I know that people do. It's just crazy our hearts have that much room, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin