Friday, June 17, 2011

The smelly kid

I'm quitting my job tomorrow.  Or Monday.  Or sometime next week.  I'm not sure, because I've never quit a job under these circumstances and I'm nervous.  Anytime I've left a job, it's for a reason.  And now I want to punch myself in the face for thinking that staying home to mother my child is not a good enough reason to quit my job.

We decided that I would quit while I was still pregnant.  It just didn't make sense to have 90% of my paycheck going to daycare, and with Drew's travel schedule it would be up to me to take Sofia to all doctor's appointments, pick her up from daycare if she was sick, stay home with her if the daycare was closed for some reason and frankly, as long as the option is available to us for me to stay home, I want to take it.

That doesn't mean I'm not nervous.  I've had a job since I was 16, often more than one.  And because I'm not going to keep clarifying, when I say job I mean working outside the home for a paycheck.  Because believe me, this past eight weeks has me convinced that staying home is a job.  

It's just that being a new mom is like being the new kid at school.  I hated being the new kid at school.  Granted, I was the new kid only once but that was more than enough for me and I don't know anyone who is excited to relive high school, yet that's what being a new mom feels like.  If you don't have someone to take you under their wing and show you the ropes, you're stuck standing at the entrance of the cafeteria, hoping and praying someone will invite you to their table.  Otherwise, you sit alone, like the smelly kid.

I went to a moms event the other night.  I know a support network is important and if I'm not careful I'll turn into a hermit because making new friends makes my stomach hurt.  However, that's not good for my kid so I make the effort.

It started at 6:30.  It was at a restaurant and I arrived at 6:20 to find the place completely full.  It was my high school nightmare.  All of the tables appeared to be spoken for, with purses on empty chairs and I stood at the entrance with my stroller, wishing someone would make eye contact and beckon me over.  It didn't happen and I quickly found the only empty table left and sat down, again wishing for someone to walk in after me and join me.  Also didn't happen.

I totally felt like the smelly kid.  All the other ladies there were talking and laughing, looking like they'd all known each other for years.  They were dressed in their cute tops and jeans and dangly earrings and I felt out of place in my yoga pants, nursing tank and no makeup (even though they were nice yoga pants and I was in fact not smelly.)  I thought this was an event for new moms!  I didn't know it was a dangly earrings event.
Thank God I had the baby with me, or I would've looked
super pathetic!

The whole thing was so awkward because the restaurant set-up didn't lend itself to mingling.  The ladies at the table behind me were polite and asked me about my baby but it's hard to talk to someone over your shoulder and there were no open spaces at their table so it's not like they could have asked me to join them.  I was so thankful when it hit 8 o'clock and I could justify leaving, as if anyone would have missed me.

I also went to a playgroup in my neighborhood.  My neighbor invited me and I couldn't say yes fast enough.  But it was the same thing.  The playgroup was for babies born in 2010, so the youngest one there was six months old and they'd been meeting for a while.  The first time I went I did nothing but sit in relative silence, only speaking when I was spoken to, unable to contribute to conversations that were started long before I got there.  Again, I was relieved when it was time to go.

At least at work, you can keep to yourself and get away with it.  You can always claim 'being swamped' as a reason to keep your door shut.  Or, if you work in a great place like I do did, you find something in common with your colleagues on the first day - no matter how small and bam, you've got a seat in the cafeteria. 

But when you're at home and it's just you and your kid, that's a whole different story.  All moms are not created equal and just because you both have kids, it doesn't mean that you'll automatically get along.  

However, I'm trying - I'm going to keep going to the playgroup, I've joined the neighborhood network and I'm looking into other things that I can do with the baby but it's not easy.  How do you walk up to someone cold and just say 'hey, wanna be friends?'  What if you choose wrong and the person you talk to is a certified nutbag?  Or they're really whiny and negative all the time?  Or worst of all, they judge your mothering skills?  I nearly snapped back at a woman at that moms event because she said my baby was 'so tiny.'  I almost went off about how there was absolutely nothing wrong with my baby, that she's the perfect size for her and she should mind her own business.  Then again, maybe she meant 'so tiny' in a non-mean way but I was too uncomfortable and self-conscious to tell the difference.  

I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to be home with my daughter.  I just have to be careful that I don't take that too literally.  For her sake, I need to get out there and get involved and step outside my comfort zone.  I need to set the example for her and not be afraid of new people and try harder at making new friends.

It's just that it's no fun feeling like the smelly kid.

PS - I changed the comment format because Blogger was being an asshole and making it hard for some people to leave comments and I have no idea why so I installed Disqus.  This way I can also reply to comments.  Everything should still be the same, only better.  I hope it doesn't suck!    

35 comments:

  1. Being a stay at home mom is definitely a job...one of the most important jobs out there. Day care is really expensive. If weren't getting the family discount for our day care, I don't know what we would do. It's like a mortgage payment! I felt the same way at mommy group on Monday. We went to lunch after group at a Mexican place. I hate Mexican food! I ordered quesadillas because it seemed safe. But no. Not safe and soo not worth the calories. I would normally send it back with a stank expression on my face, but I didn't want to be THAT person sigh. I felt out of place. They weren't people I would normally hang out with. Le sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so there with you! I am glad to not be the only one feeling like the smelly kid sometimes (I just posted about this last weekend on my own blog, and it was an interesting experiment to see who responded. I got one comment on my blog, one message on Facebook, and one text message. Check. Check. Check. I have three real friends, it seems, because another fifty people read my post and said *nothing*. Smelly kid in the cafeteria, all over again)... but I don't wish the awkwardness on anyone!
    Unfortunately (?) I can't stay at home because my hubby can't support all three of us on his salary alone... fortunately, his mom can take care of our little one so we don't get sacked by daycare tuition. This also means work is my only social outlet, and I don't think that is a healthy way to be. We're still working out the kinks over here in toddler land! I hope that you start to feel at home in your new groups, and soon... good luck on the new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also should have punched myself in the face for feeling guilty about quitting my job to stay home with E. ITS JUST A JOB. This is my kids life. But I felt all "woe is me, they need me, I feel horrible, blah blah". BS. This is more important, hands down. And I'm proud of you. I have NEVER attended something like you have, ever. I just go out with a few one or two stay at home mom friends/family members a few times a week, but thats it. I would suck in a mom-club setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With regards to the "She is so tiny" comment. I think it may have been intended kindly. As in, "Oh my goodness, she is so tiny (and adorable)." With an underlying context of "My baby is older and while she is still sweet and adorable, there is something special about that early stage when they are tiny"

    Anyways, just a rather wordy thought. I too have trouble making friends (although not a mother yet). Hang in there and you will find people who you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE that feeling you're talking about. That's how I feel at PTA meetings. Even now, after 2 years, it is cliquish, so I quit going. There's something about those groups that is so....forced? My unsolicited advice is never waste 5 seconds anywhere where you are not comfortable and totally enjoying yourself. I have mommy friends now, and we met either in the neighborhood, while just playing outside, or at the YMCA during the daytime, or through the my son's preschool. Don't feel like you have to rush it. Personally, I'd rather be home alone than sitting with people that I'm not sure I like. And you are SO fabulous, that someone is gonna clue into that eventually. ;) Love you, D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you get to stay at home with Sofia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm proud of you for making the decision to stay at home with Sofia! I hope I can do that when i have a baby too!! As far as being the left out mommy - those ladies are DUMB. Don't they know how awesome you are?!?! I agree with one of the other commenters - if you aren't enjoying yourself, don't do it. Of course there's going to be that awkward phase before you make friends, but if you go for a while, and it's not getting more enjoyable, then try something new. You're an amazing person, and you will find your mommy friends. I know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so having moved 3 times (thanks to the Navy).. my suggestion is to put on a winning smile and just put your hand out. Introduce yourself, ask questions that won't have "yes" or "no" answers.. So not "do you work", but "where do you work, or are you a stay at home mom?" It helps get conversations flowing. Be interested in finding out more about other people and they'll open up too. It can be unnerving to go up to a lone person at a table. Almost like "do they just want to sit by themselves? or are they nervous?? or.."

    I completely know how you feel. I've had to make new friends 3 different times now. I know that if I don't - I won't ever leave my house. I get comfortable in my shell, but It's not healthy for me or my kids. We all need social interaction.

    Congratulations on being able to stay home with Sofia. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crap, I don't know why I thought you quit before you had Sofia...like your last day was your LAST DAY and that your boss knew?

    Anyway I HATE that feeling. I had that feeling when I came to your shower just because I'm a ball of anxiety in those situations. I hate that you felt that way. Any Dallas mommy bloggers? Or message board Dallas ladies? I'd feel better "chatting" online and EVERYONE is meeting up for the first time but it's hard when people already know each other. The sucky thing is when you're too nervous to introduce yourself AND their stank asses don't acknowledge you and welcome you. Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Gem, if there are any dallas mommy bloggers maybe you guys can do a meet up after a few chat sessions and what not. I hate meeting new people that I have never met before and have never has previous conversations with. I don't do well in those situations. Like when I met you and Teresha from marlieandme.com while it dallas it felt natural like old friends because we had chatted online before we met.

    You'll find your groove though. I'm glad you get to stay at home with your daughter. If that was an option for me I would have taken it without batting an eye. Your bloggy mommies and non mommies will continue to be your support group. I'm sure you know you can hit any of us up for anything( and you better if you need to *shaking fists* lol) we got your back and know you aren't smelly lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, let me tell you I agree with the moms that say you just have to smile and "fake it til you make it".

    Like you, I am uber shy (although my friends would disagree with me). I don't like to approach people in crowds and always feel insecure (have always been like this since I was a wee one). I know a lot of these groups can be clique-ish but all you can do is offer your hand and go with the flow. It's better to be the overly friendly one than the quiet one that may be an easy target for catty looks or worse, mistaken for a "B" because you won't mingle with the others. You'd be surprised to find that some of those women you 'think' have known each other for some time, actually don't.

    You're funny, you have a winning personality, you're beautiful and you have an adorable baby. Work whatcha got and watch them flock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same way. I'm going to an event tomorrow where I don't know anybody but at least there's free stuff and door prizes being given away. And maybe I'll meet some nice people. I hope so, anyway! At least this is the first time this group is meeting so maybe I won't be the only one who doesn't know anybody. Hang in there and I hope your next meetings go better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can certainly relate to your anxiety. I was super-shy as a kid...and was the "new kid" in the cafeteria three times...that was three times too many, if you ask this shy kid! To make up for that torture, I made the conscious decision to make sure my two daughters would NEVER change schools...and they didn't. They graduated with the same kids they started kindergarten with.

    When I made a career change (from sales clerk in a clothing store to a cop) I kinda had to get over my shyness. It still amazes me now...WHAT WAS THIS SUPER-SHY KID THINKING...A COP!? I could tell the bad guy to, "Get on the ground, M_ _ _ _ _ F _ _ _ _ _!"...but I struggled to stand in front of a small group of older folks and talk to them about keeping their homes safe from the bad guys. It's one of those things you just have to jump in with both feet, and like another person said, "Fake it till you make it"...words to live by. Act like your comfortable (even tho your stomach as 1,000 butterflies in it) and soon enough you WILL be comfortable.

    Tina B

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are very blessed to be in a position to stay at home with your daughter. So many women would love that opportunity! Thank you for sharing part of your life, I truly enjoy reading your blog. You and your family are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how'd your job take the news?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're a cop?! That's the coolest thing ever! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're so right - I was thinking there was no way aaalll these women already knew each other! And you wouldn't believe how many people have told me they thought I was a snob until they got to know me - just because I was quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. aw, pobresita! i would have totally sat wit you if i were there! :)

    i met some nice moms at la leche league meetings (although some of them were a little too hardcore for my tastes) just saying!

    since your physically active, maybe try a local mommy and me workout group?

    also, if you go on babycenter and look for the Sofia's specific birth club month, you can sometimes find mothers with kids her same age in your area who are looking for other mom friends.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so right - if it were up to me I'd leave the house only to go to familiar places but that's not the example I want to set for my daughter so I have to get past this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i agree that she probably didn't mean anything by it. i've noticed that a lot of us parents automatically use our kid as the "normal" to rate other kids against. if her kid was bigger than yours at that same, your kid is the one that is "so tiny" versus her kid being overgrown. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're so sweet! I know these kind of things take time, and I know making friends is a process. I just keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for my kid.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a little late to the party, but CONGRATS on quitting! I've been trying to convince my Husband that I should. He agrees, just can't figure out the money part of it yet. I told him one day he just may find me home early and it will be a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I know you're right. It's so funny how being in uncomfortable situations makes you defensive - at least it does me, anyway! :-) I'm positive she was not being rude, it was just me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. At least you got out there! And I so know what you mean - when you're out with 'strangers' you're always on your best behavior. At the last playgroup, I happened to mention how I hated cooking and you'd have thought I said I hated their children! Touchy much? :-)

    Oh well, we're doing it for our kids right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you! Drew had a minor freakout because of the money thing but I just keep reminding him that if it doesn't work out, I'll go back to work! I think it helps to remind him that nothing is set in stone (except it kind of is... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Babycenter - that's a great idea! I'll have to check it out!

    I've been getting out every morning with the baby and the dog so I'm hoping I'll run into other moms in the neighborhood and workout groups are on my to-find list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. My boss was so sad, which made me sad but she said she knew it was coming and was very understanding. I'm really going to miss her, but seriously, it's not like she won't be able to find another receptionist, like tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so funny to me....I never took you as shy! Especially the way we met! I took me awhile to get into the mommy group too and even still sometimes I feel out of the loop, but it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good for you, Desiree, for stepping outside your box. I find that having babies makes me a stronger person. Things that I wouldn't normally do for me, I will totally do if my kids needed me to. If you have time, look up Parents as Teachers (I think it's national). We have it here in the Dotte and it is a networking outlet for mommies. They have playgroups and family classes and a rep will come to your house and discuss the developmental stages that Sofia will be going through like once a month or something. I highly recommed it as a mom and a teacher!

    Keep being an awesome mommy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd have to say that when the baby is a little older playgroups are easier. You have less time where it's just you wanting to know what to say because you are multi-tasking and watching your kid. PLUS your kid will start playing with another kid (who's mom will no doubt be near by) and as they both stick a crayon up thier nose (or whatever) you will instantly have something to bond about. I'm just saying it gets easier. You will find other moms to connect with. Also I joined this back in the day (I have since moved) www.momsclub.org and I found all the moms to be really down to earth, real women and really not very judgemental.

    Also I would have to guess the woman saying your baby was so tiny has toddler or older child at home. Babies look sooo tiny (even if they aren't) when you have say a 3 year old at home.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm always late on your posts. grrr. I went back to work full time after my daughter's birth and felt horrible. I found a part-time position that's working great for both my husband and I so she's never been to any kind of daycare...yet. I joined a playground via "Meet-up" and I felt that same way you did. Everyone knew each other but me. I felt out of place and we were the only family of "urbanites". Most of the other moms were Suburban SAHM's. Frankly there wasn't much to talk about but I knew my daughter needed the socialization with other kids her age so needless to stay we're still part of that play group, I just tend to sit uncomfortably and let her do her thing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are practically down the street from me - we should get together. After all, you know nearly everything about me!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm a relatively new stay-at-home mom, too, and we had the same due date (although my sweet baby came 10 days late, so Sofia is a tiny bit older!). I'm in the Mid-Cities and would love to get together sometime...or as it sounds like there are a number of local moms who read your blog, maybe we could organize a "we think Desiree smells awesome!" meetup?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love that! If you guys are interested, email me and we'll figure
    something out!

    Please excuse the brevity, sent from my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't know you, you don't know me, but yet I find myself stalking your blog, maybe because I can relate to it as how I felt as a new mom years ago and even in every day life now. I'm not sure what it is like in girl sports and girl activities as they get older but little league parents these days can be brutal! At any rate, I have come to love reading your blog because you crack me up and make me thankful that I am not the only one out there weird (I don’t mean weird like the people who dress up and go to Comic Book conventions weird, just normal weird) about new things and new situations.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin