Thursday, October 15, 2009

You mean there's more?!?!

After leaving the diner, we headed back to our house.  With all my loved ones around me now, I just wanted to soak them up.  As we got closer to the house, I noticed there were cars everywhere.  I looked at Drew and said, "you mean there's more?"  He just smiled.  Our friend Tyler drives a yellow Corvette which is sort of hard to miss so when I saw that I knew he was here.  But there were lots of other cars!

Would you believe that Drew invited our friends to our house for a cake cutting and champagne toast?!  Wait, of course you do.  By this time, you have to know that he is capable of anything.  I know I'm a believer.

Everybody else went in before we did so Drew and I could make our entrance and he could carry me over the threshold!  He told me not to eat too many biscuits at breakfast but I think he managed just fine.


I looked around at the familiar faces of our friends and was so overwhelmed with emotion.  But for once, I didn't cry.  At this point I was over-joyed and just went around hugging everyone.




We poured champage for everyone; I got apple-passionfruit juice along with Hope and Guy's daughters. (Drew works with Guy, btw.)

Drew and I made introductions and we got to cut our cake!  Again, Drew did everything, getting an Italian cream cake with strawberries in the filling.  He had asked everyone coming to bring a dessert as well, so we have sweets for days at the house right now!

You can't see but the cream actually has gold glitter in it as well as the gold frosting - it looks pretty yellow here.  Our wedding colors would have been champagne, chardonnay, and merlot.  Or, gold, cream and dark purple. ;-)

We actually got to cut cake AND he didn't mush me!  I was kind of nervous because he's very playful and I was hoping that he wouldn't take this time to be 'funny'.  I should have known - he did very well!



Then we started toasting.  It was so sweet - I was able to address everyone in the room and speak about how they have contributed to our lives.  It was priceless.  In turn, everyone made toasts to us and it was so sweet.


My dad made a speech and my mom gave the sweetest toast to Drew, welcoming him to our family.  We also raised our glasses to Drew's family, to honor them since they couldn't be with us.  We're going to see them for Christmas and I'm so happy about that.

And yes, my dad is wearing a shiny shirt.  He has, shall we say, a unique sense of style.  We have long given up giving him style tips, gently suggesting, all-out begging to please not go out in that!  Like my mom says, if he's not embarrassed, neither am I.

My Aunt Mary gave the sweetest speech as well and also gave us the most beautiful hand-made pillow as a wedding gift!  It is on a HIGH spot so that ridiculous dog can't get it!



After we finished toasting and stuffing ourselves with wedding cake, we just hung around with everyone.  Since it was only a handful of people I was able to spend time with everyone and that was so nice!  And of course, my dad the ham had to get in on things!  He wanted to make sure everyone noted the shirt.  Duly noted, Dad. :-)


AND THAT, my beautiful lovely friends, is how I got married.  My fabulous wonderful husband is a champion at setting the bar and showing me that I really truly am the love of his life and I'm going to spend the rest of my life showing him that he's the love of mine.  I leave you with something I didn't think in my wildest dreams would ever happen.


I'm going to go home and kiss my husband now.

4 comments:

  1. Desiree! I'm soooo happy for you and Drew. You're story makes my heart swell. It's so obvious how much Drew loves you and that he is your soul mate. This is absolutely, one of the most beautiful wedding stories I have ever heard. And Kudos for the Curly Nikki mention (she's one of my faves . . .) Congratulations to the both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree, that last picture made me cry. I know how you've struggled with your dad, and I have prayed for you so often. And then I know how you've felt like you were giving up on your dream wedding, and yet, it WAS like a dream. So perfect, so thoughtful, so AFFORDABLE (big plus!), and Drew really got to shine. I am ridiculously happy for you. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. This is wonderful. Drew is wonderful.

    Were words exchanged between you and your dad when you first saw him, or just hugs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desiree! That was fabulous! I am so glad you shared your joy and happiness. I'm so glad Drew is so awesome. You deserve awesome! This was the absolute BEST compromise I have ever read about. Brought tears to my eyes MANY times. Congratulations on every thing that has happened and everything that is to come. Gosh! I just love your blog! *smiles*

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin