Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm so Vera Wang I don't even know it

Totally unrelated to this post but so freakin cool:  I'm featured on Young House Love today!  Check it out!


...


I am so incredibly blessed to have a friend like Kesha.  She's my juice - when I talk to her, I feel like I can do anything.  She is so positive and encouraging yet knows just how and when to give me a kick in the butt to move me to action.  Everyone needs a Kesha and I strive daily to be the kind of friend to her that she is to me.


When she got wind of my retarded fear of my sewing machine, she called me and informed me that she was coming over and together we were going to take the sewing machine out of the box.  I told her that she was more than welcome to come over, but that I wasn't sure about the whole sewing thing.  In her calm sweet voice she said, "Yes we will.  You are taking that machine out of that box and you are going to sew."  The following is what happened.
Gingerly removing the styrofoam.  
Heartbeat quickening, wanting to walk away.
All right, I got this far.  It's still in one piece.
Getting set up, not knowing what the heck I was doing.
I was just plugging things where I thought they went.

Then I pulled out the bandanna that has defeated me for almost a month.  When I was at Kristina's house, she'd given me the fabric (thanks Kristina!) and under her supervision I sewed most of it.
This is my 'grrr I don't want to do this' face.
Even though the only thing I had left was to attach the ties.
Reading the manual, trying to stall and terrified I'm going to break it.
I still haven't touched it by this point.

I couldn't stall anymore.  It was out, it was plugged in.  It was go-time.
Sticking the spool on the spool-holder.
The machine didn't spontaneously explode.
Am I even doing this right?
You loop this thingy over that thingy and then bring it down
over the other thingy
I think
I just threaded the needle!  I did it!!  And I didn't break anything!!
I think I did a happy dance in my chair.
More stalling - getting the needle threaded put me one step closer
to actually having to use the machine.

Granted, my project was tiny and not at all complicated so I can say that winding the bobbin and threading the needle was the hardest part for me.  For the ties of the bandanna, I just turned them inside out, sewed a straight line and turned them right side out so I could attach them to the bandanna.
Apparently I like to channel Michael Jordan when I sew.  Who knew?
After she showed me a particularly retarded picture of myself

You guys, I finished the bandanna!
Drew called just as I finished and I was telling him that
I'm pretty much the next Vera Wang.

All because of my juice!  My angel!  My friend!
Thank you Kesha!!
I just love the colors against Maya's coat
It's so hard to get her to hold still!

I was so encouraged by my work and as long as I had Kesha's magic with me, I took out one of my shirts to fix.  I even changed out the thread color and threaded a new bobbin without incident!  It was an easy fix, just bringing in the sides an inch or so.  When I finished, it looked great!  I was so happy!  

Now that I have actually used my sewing machine without breaking it, I've set my eye on all the clothes in my closet that don't fit me.  I've decided to turn our solarium into my sewing room - if I'm going to be the next Vera Wang I need a workspace!

*Note - In no way do I consider myself Vera Wang at all.  I made a bandanna.  For a dog - they are notoriously easy to please.  I don't have that big a head.  Forehead, yes.  Ego, no.  Glad we could clear that up - I could see the 'who do you think you are' comments coming a mile away.  

22 comments:

  1. how about "Vera Woof"? very cute doggie bandana -- congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Dallasite too (hi!) and found out that we can take 8 two-hour sewing classes through Dallas County Community College for $65. I've enrolled and dropped the class twice because I'm afraid I won't have time to attend , it's far, that I'll be bad at it and a host of other bad excuses.

    You've given me some more courage and I may just give this sewing thing a try. For real this time. :)

    P.S. This is me: www.cardiganjunkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! This is so very like my early experiences with my sewing machine (read about that at http://www.postmodernhostess.com/2009/09/domestic-weekend-part-2-travails-with.html), and I will admit that it has not been so well used since then... so many other distractions!

    Love your blog. :-)

    xoxo,
    tanja

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha--I attempted to use my mother in law's sewing machine a few months ago, without the instruction manual...it took four hours, 2 YouTube tutorials, and a phone call to my mother just to thread the machine. I gave up shortly thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the YHL post - crazy that you have the same dresser. It looks fabulous.

    Threading the needle is always the worst part. I love the doggy bandana!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha I laughed my way through the whole post, the reason being that you could have superimposed my head into those pictures and it would have been ME - Technophobic Procrastinator Extraudinaire!

    And the bandana looks so cool on Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog today through Young House Love...and proceeded to get NO WORK done all day, because woman, damn, are you a good writer! I haven't finished devouring your archives, but only because I am hungry and need to go home.

    ::cough::

    All this to say that your blog is wonderful, you are lovely, and your story is an inspiration to me. Also, I have an unused sewing machine sitting in a corner of my dining room...after reading your last two posts, I think I might have to dust it off and see what I can do with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I just found your blog (on a jump from YHL -they are pretty much spectacular, aren't they?) and you just gave me the little bit of courage to dust off my brand new sewing machine and actually make something with it!! (All I've done so far is threading it and practicing some lines on a piece of fabric.)

    I'm going to start going through your archives now... :)

    Thank you for giving ME some "juice!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the YHL props!!! What a day maker! And the bandanna looks fantastic! See? I knew you could do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are stinkin hilarious! I love it! You've inspired me to pick up sewing again. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Desiree!! So, I just found your blog (after YHL mentioned you yesterday!!) and I'm pretty excited to add it to my reading list. I wanted to drop you a line to tell you that I taught myself how to sew (and still am...) I was very much so afraid just like you but so far I've made throw pillows for our living room! And people actually like them! lol It took a lot of youtube but I'm getting there. still can't do a straight line...but I'm getting there! so keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can search Dallas County Community College district and look up the campuses that offer sewing. You can also take dog obedience, piano, photography, and a ton of other random stuff I had no idea was offered!

    I was going to take the class at Richland, but I think it was at other campuses too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey- I found you through YHL. And now I follow your wonderful blog. Do you have a pattern for this doggy bandanna?

    ReplyDelete
  14. GIRL!!!

    Where have you been all my life!? I discovered your blog today thanks to the YHL post! YHL rocks... and so does your blog! And have got to say, I feel like we are leading very similar lives... new house, new husband, trying to conceive (I have PCOS). My heart breaks for you and the struggles you have been faced with. I hope you guys will soon have your baby... and pray that I will soon read about it! You obviously have a lot of love to give, and great things do happen to wonderful people. Keep smiling your beautiful smile... don't give up and see the wonderful gifts you have in your family, friends and husband.

    And keep posting... you're an amazing writer. Honest and sincere. And your blog makes me laugh (think I spent 3 hours of my day reading your posts while I should have been dealing with my corporate SUCK @SS job!) Thank you for making me laugh... and feel sane! Cheers to you! XO Liz in CT

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog through YHL, Love it! You are exactly like me when it comes to the sewing machine. It took me a good year to get it out of the box, and then when I finally did I got about as far as threading the needle. You have given me some inspiration though... guess I need to go dust the thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made it!!!! You have a great friend- we all need them!

    and that bandanna is pretty hot, it looks like it belongs in my fave store-TaRGET!

    ReplyDelete
  17. As always love love your posts! And that disclaimer at the end for all the "haters" was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog through YHL and want to tell you I love reading it! I immediately got totally involved in your life and read almost all of your posts in reverse order (it's kind of strange to that by the way). I also want to offer you my support. I feel like I know you so well, and I just want you to know I'm rooting for you. It is so nice and refreshing to see a blogger who is not presented as perfect. We all have our weak moments, but not all of us will expose those moments to the world. That takes strength.

    Thanks for such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the compliments y'all!

    Robin - I don't have a pattern but it's the easiest thing in the world to do. Take a fat quarter, fold it in a triangle, cut the strip off at the end so your triangle is even and use the strip for the ties. Sew it together wrong side out, flip it, do the same with the ties and attach them. If I can do it, you TOTALLY can!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey- I found you through YHL. And now I follow your wonderful blog. Do you have a pattern for this doggy bandanna?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey! I just found your blog (on a jump from YHL -they are pretty much spectacular, aren't they?) and you just gave me the little bit of courage to dust off my brand new sewing machine and actually make something with it!! (All I've done so far is threading it and practicing some lines on a piece of fabric.)

    I'm going to start going through your archives now... :)

    Thank you for giving ME some "juice!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL! This is so very like my early experiences with my sewing machine (read about that at http://www.postmodernhostess.com/2009/09/domestic-weekend-part-2-travails-with.html), and I will admit that it has not been so well used since then... so many other distractions!

    Love your blog. :-)

    xoxo,
    tanja

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin