Friday, February 3, 2012

Recovery

You guys.  Thank you.  


Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, for talking me off the ledge and most of all, for letting me know I'm not alone.  It has been so cathartic to set this burden down, accept help and start again.


I got the meds and I hope that they will do the trick.  I felt ashamed asking for them, but this is for a season, just to smooth things out and get me over the hump.  I'm not defective and weak and even hippies need meds sometimes.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.


Drew and I have called a cease-fire and things are okay.  He's giving me a much-needed break from the dog, taking over all dog-related duties and that's been a big help.  I needed a breather and he's done that for me.  Of course, he leaves tomorrow but I'm trying to focus on the now and be thankful for the positives.  We have allowed for dinners out twice a month and we took advantage of it last night - we sure as hell needed it.
I don't normally take the baby out without shoes, but it was in the 70s last night
so I made an exception.  Besides, I'm in love with those little toe-toes.
And we finally found a sippy cup that
she'll use!  Who knew it was so hard to find a good sippy cup?!

Most importantly, I found some crafting mojo!  When you're in the midst of the doldrums and despair, it looks like there's no way out, no solution and you're just going to stay in the sucky place forever.  Creativity is my outlet, whether it's writing, painting or even some degree, cooking.  Two nights ago, I anxiety-cooked and made this pasta dish and it actually turned out really good!  Thanks Kristin and Carolyn!
Eat this pasta now.
Image courtesy PHHH

Plus, I hosted playgroup yesterday and made these Diabetes Cookies.  As in, there's an entire stick of butter and an obscene amount of sugar in them.  As in, these will give you diabetes.  
I substituted hot chocolate mix for the cocoa powder and added dried cranberries.
They turned out well, although I needed a giant glass of water to wash them down.

Additionally, creativity is not just about home decorating.  Cori hit the nail on the head when she commented about how frustrating it is not to be able to nest and Carolyn was spot-on when she said that organizing and crafting and decorating is what she does when she's stressed, because these are my problems too and that's why I was feeling so trapped.  I had no outlet.  Or so I thought!

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

You know what else is crafty and doesn't involve home decorating (per se)?  

Sewing.

Yup.  I said it.  These are desperate times, y'all.

Last night I was a Pinning fool.  I searched high and low for all kinds of sewing tutorials, figuring I could kill two birds with one stone.  Namely, I could alter my clothes so they fit.  I lose weight when I'm stressed and between that and breastfeeding, I'm straight-up scrawny.  I'll be the first to say you can never be too rich or too thin, but this is kind of silly.  I'm down to one pair of jeans that are getting looser by the day and only a couple of shirts.  If I fix my clothes I'll satisfy my crafting craving and keep from buying new clothes, thereby saving money.  It's a win-win.

I have a ton of t-shirts and I found a bunch of t-shirt tutorials that I'm going to try next week.
Rosette t-shirt tutorial
Image courtesy Hope Studios
Looks easy enough.
This one looks interesting as well.
Image courtesy Trash to Couture

Maybe I'll even try my hand at lengthening some of my t-shirts, like she did here.  Or I'll turn some of my crewnecks to v-necks, like she did here.  

I can be crafty.  I still have my outlets.  I can do this.

I just couldn't see it because of all the nonsense I was carrying.  Once I let it out (by having a panic attack and subsequent huge fight and crying my eyes out followed by running to the doctor for meds) and set it down (by getting a break from my triggers), I could see other options.  You guys helped me with that.

Thank you.

Lastly, we have four showings tomorrow, one of them second-lookers.  Please send all your house-selling fairy dust our way that someone, any one of these four will be interested.  Like, really interested.

Again, thank you.  So much.

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Hey! Glad you are back on your feet. And don't be ashamed of meds--that's why they are there. What kind of sippy cup did you use!? L treats them like they are on fire. She can't stand any of them and we have bought so many! Good job on the beautiful looking pasta and the cookies...and I can't wait to see the shirt when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sippy cup: http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Gripper-Twist-Click-Colors/dp/B001OAKMEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328307723&sr=8-1
    She likes it and it doesn't spill everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack, you've gotten me totally addicted to Trash to Couture! I read through the whole blog and love her ideas. I am trying to think how to do some of them without showing quite as much skin. I like covering up my cellulite thankyouverymuch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear God, I would have snapped up your house in no time if we lived there. I love it, and wouldn't have even changed the paint colours. Very happy to hear you are feeling a bit better...and yes, even hippies need meds once in a while;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!!! this is great news. you know you do what you can do. i hate dog hair to so i totally know where you are coming from. love the shirts you put above. please post when you finish i cant wait to see how amazing they turn out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes we just need to let it all out. It's good that you are open with your husband. You may fight ( which is normal) but, as long as you can talk it out that is healthy. He is your support just like you are his =) I hope things continue to look up for you and keep that positive outlook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to get it all out sometimes....sometimes that is what you need to move forward. Thinking of you girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First that Pasta looks AMAZING!! And Im really glad things are better!! All is right with the world!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to read that the sun is shining your way chica!!!! And fingers crossed and prayers are going up for the house selling.


    P.S. Check out my blog where I reviewed a product that I think you would love with your self proclaimed hippy fabulousness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just thinking of you and dropped by to see how you were doing. I don't comment much but I read a lot. :) My daughter was born March 14th so I've been following right along with Sofia! I'm glad that you're feeling a bit better and hope the meds do their thing. Sometimes it's just so damn HARD isn't it?

    Sending you hugs and lots of house-selling fairy dust as requested! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that everything is working out well. Don't know if your a spiritual person or not but opening the Bible & reading it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason, I haven't been able to comment. But I'm back now and SO GLAD you're feeling better (hope you still are)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,

    My name is actually Desiree also. Reading your words makes clear how tough all of our lives are. In the media everyone is always smiling so we don't get that picture. But seeing it (someone's struggle) actually makes our own struggle a little lighter because it normalizes struggle. Good times are normal too, so here are some good vibes for you toward those, through the net= !!!!!!GOOD VIBES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    D

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin