Thursday, May 10, 2012

The year in cloth

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement on the last post.  I got some baby Advil for Sofia, and we had better nights Monday and Tuesday.  But last night, I made the mistake of taking the dog for a walk after dinner, when I usually give her a bath after dinner and then put her in bed.  It was such a pretty night and I hadn't walked the dog yet, so I put her in her pjs and put her in the Ergo, thinking she'd fall asleep.  Ha.  Once again, she went down fairly easily but it took two hours to get her back to sleep the second time.


When will I learn not to mess with The Schedule?  Routine rules all, you guys.


At any rate, we're doing better and I thought I'd do a follow-up post to my original one on cloth diapers.  Sofia will be 13 months tomorrow (*sniffsniff sigh*) and we've been using cloth diapers since she was about three months old.  We'd been gifted about three months worth of newborn diapers and it took me that long to work up the nerve to make the switch.  Then, I used disposables at night for about four months because it took me that long to work up the nerve to use cloth at night.  I had nightmares of changing a soaking baby in the middle of the night and never getting her back to sleep.


But now that I've gotten over my fears and I'm using cloth pretty much exclusively, I thought I'd come back and give an update.
Plus, it gives me an excuse to show you my cute hippie baby.

I bought my diapers brand new from Cotton Babies.  Obviously, it's 'greener' to buy them used and that way no additional resources are being used to produce them, or make them yourself which would be cheaper than buying new.  However, I suck at sewing and I couldn't get past the idea of buying used 'underwear.'  I tried, I really did.

 At the time, Cotton Babies was running a buy 5, get one 1 free deal and I bought three sets.  Those 18 diapers have served me well and they have remained like new - I'm oddly proud of my diapers.  Some of the inserts have light stains on them, but I couldn't get them to show up on camera, so I gave up.  

But here's why I love Cotton Babies:  One of my diapers had one defective snap.  I thought I could live with it, but every time I pulled that diaper out and every time the snap wouldn't hold, it annoyed me.  Finally, I called Cotton Babies and asked them what I could do.  I spoke to a live person, she showed me what to do on the website, and I sent them my diaper.  A few days later, I got an email that said 'We received your return.'  A few days after that, I got another email that said 'We are processing your request.'  A few more days and 'Your order is on its way, here's your tracking number.'

I was so impressed!  I hate being that guy that has to call and be like 'did you get my request?  Are you processing it?  When can I expect my exchange?'  And I hate not talking to a live person.  That alone was worth the expense of buying new and what's more, a couple months after that, I sent in another diaper that had pilled up more than I liked and they replaced it, no problem!  The way to my heart is good customer service, y'all!

Of the five moms in my playgroup, three of us use cloth and when one of them offered me some free BumGenius diapers, I accepted.  They were from a friend of hers, she didn't use them and I was trying to get over my whole 'used underwear' thing.  That's when I found out I was a diaper snob.
Guess which one is my diaper.
This was taken with my phone and no flash.
My diapers really are that white and
the donor diapers really are that gray.
What in the world have these poor diapers been through?

I only took pictures because I was shocked that diapers could look like this.  Now, I am no washing genius.  I use Rock in Green soap and Borax in the soap part of the washer and a little bit of white vinegar in the fabric softener part every now and then for stinks.  That's it!  What's more, I made it even easier on myself!  Remember my ultra fancy washing system?
I used to soak my diapers overnight in a little Borax water and wash them the next day.

I don't even do that anymore!  Now, I put them in the washer straight from the bag and put it on a hot cycle with no detergent and no spin.  That gets them good and soaked.  Then I wash them on sanitary and now, everything goes in the dryer.
No more extra step!

For a minute, I was getting leaks out tha ass.  See what I did there?  I'm so punny.  I was just about done with cloth diapers because it was violating my rule:  It must be easy.  Changing her clothes three times a day because of diaper leaks was NOT easy and it was getting on my nerves.  One day, I had done the wash but couldn't line dry them because we had a showing so I threw everything in the dryer.  That round, I had no leaks and her inserts would be sopping wet so I knew she was peeing.  I dried everything a couple more times and I stopped getting leaks!  I've done nothing else differently so it had to be that.  And really, who cares what it was because my diapers don't leak anymore!  Not even at night!  I was a skeptic but hemp inserts are the bomb - buy some now.  Even if you don't have kids in diapers.  They're that good.
I love how they used fake flowers to make them look purty.

I naively thought that all diapers looked like mine.  So when I opened the bag of free diapers I was in shock and immediately went for my camera.  I was in awe - the elastic was shot, the velcro barely hanging on, the inserts were yellowish-gray and flat and sad.  How many kids got diapered in these things?

And PS, if you buy cloth diapers DO NOT ever in your life get velcro.  I know they made them with velcro to more closely mimic disposables and while the idea is good, in practice it's silly.  Velcro is not compatible with multiple use and once you can't get your diaper to stay on, you're done with that diaper.

I accepted the free diapers with the hope that I could get over my used underwear hangup but sadly, I'm a diaper snob.  So now I have five BumGenius velcro diapers that I have no idea what do with.  Can they be salvaged for parts?  Do I put them on DiaperSwappers and see if someone without my dumb hangup will take them?

The point of this post was to say that cloth diapers really is not that big a deal.  Sometimes I go to the Arboretum with my mom friends for picnics and one of the moms gets an absolute kick out the fact that I use cloth.  Like, she watches me change Sofia's diaper and  slaps her knee and is all, "Well how 'bout that!"  Every time.  It cracks me up because I'm the one who does a double take at disposables.  I still use them at night every now and then if my hemps are still damp.  They are so crazy absorbent that I line dry them after I've taken them out of the dryer and when I pull out a disposable, the thin paper-y-ness throws me.  And it's funny to see her tiny butt in them because I'm used to her bubble.
She was five months here and hadn't really grown into them.
She has yet to grow into Daddy's hat.

Anyway, cloth diapering is really so easy there's no reason you shouldn't do it.  You save money, you save the Earth, and you can match them to your baby's outfit.  And let's be honest, that's all that really matters.

If you have questions, fire away.  I actually really like talking about cloth diapers.  Who knew?
Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. When you are on the go, how do you rinse the diapers?

    How many inserts do you use? Does she ever have a "blow out"? My friends have this issue all the time,and I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm on the fence of changing to cloth.
    I would definitely like to try it.........thank you for posting this! Also, noticed that your daughter has a amber necklace...haven't read your blog yet, but if you haven't posted about this...please do! I just ordered mine!! Thank you!
    Http://canny-cole.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me so happy!! For a couple of reasons. #1 - I get to see that adorable little toddler face. And those shoes! SO CUTE! #2 - I really want to use cloth diapers when my "time" comes... so I love hearing how well they work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some dingy looking diapers! I got some of mine used (most actually) and they were totally white and fluffy. Plus since they were cotton fitteds they would have to be washed like 5 time to prep them if they were new.

    I do fond my cotton fabrics stain easier than the synthetics so my pocket diapers look just like yours. The used ones must have gone through a lot of kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned so much from this post!! What do you wash her clothes with? Do you use the same detergent?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually don't rinse. I've been very fortunate and I haven't had a giant poop away from home. I also am never away from home for longer than five hours and that's usually only one diaper change. If she poops, I fold it very carefully so no poop gets outside the diaper and put it in the wetbag. Then I just rinse it when I get home. There's never been a time when I've had to carry poop in my purse for like eight hours or anything like that. I did the 'dunk and swish' once when I was out to lunch with a friend and that was way nastier than folding it up and dealing with it later.

    I've never had an ugly blowout with cloth. The back is very secure elastic that's snug against her back and it's awesome about keeping the poop contained. If any escapes, it's just a smudge and that's only happened once or twice. I've gotten the up-to-the-neck blowouts in disposables though and those are NOT fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I just use the two inserts they came with. At night, I add the hemp - her butt is round, but I don't get leaks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can rent cloth diapers for a trial run - Cotton Babies does it and I think some other sites do too. That way, you don't have to make the full commitment.

    I'll be sure to write something about her necklace soon - it seems like her top four teeth came in all at once and it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Whether or not it was because of the necklace, I can't be sure but she wears it all the time just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you totally should! It's really not that big a deal and I'm so happy I'm doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used Dreft at first, then I got some BabyGanics because it was on sale for cheaper than Dreft and it works just fine. I actually washed her diapers once in the BabyGanics and they came out just as clean as with the Rock in Green and it was way cheaper! But I'd already ordered my Rock in Green so I still have them both. I wash our clothes in Seventh Generation but as soon as all of that runs out, I'm going to start making our laundry detergent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got to try the dryer!!! We've been getting leaks from pee along the tabs and sometimes around the legs.

    What about stains?? Do you still sun them daily?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOOOVE my white white Bum Genius AIOs...and would totally be a snob about those grey ones. WTH?
    Do you use hemp inserts with AIOs or stuffed ones?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed! The worst blowouts we have faced were with disposables!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only have pockets but from what I understand, you can lay a hemp underneath the layers of an AIO for more protection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your cloth story (I found you through Josey's blog)! We are exclusively clothing our little gal now since she was about 1 month and I love it! I would definitely be the same with those yucky old diapers. Well, I should say, I am the same. Someone gifted me some old ones as well and I just have not been able to use them. I hope mine stay looking pretty for a long time to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I applaud you for your use of cloth diapers. I considered for about 1 nanosecond, but I chickened out and never even completed the research. LOL! Your daughter is a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it's just the velcro, there are WAHMs that will replace them with snaps for you. If it's the "used underwear" thing, then throw them up on Diaper Swappers, as lots of moms will take them, or go to a DFW Cloth Diaper Group meetup and swap them out there. There's a FB group (DFW Mom Swap) that a lot of the cloth diaper moms are on where you might also be able to unload them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you have a great system down!! You must be doing something right if yours are still in such good shape!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for the follow up! I always love reading about how people use cloth diapers. I just switched my 3.5 month over a few weeks ago and we're loving it.

    I'm definitely going to try the Rock in Green detergent...I find that Charlie's Soap sometimes doesn't deal with stinkies very well.

    Also, you mentioned that you have a few stains on your inserts. I had the same problem until I "sunned" them (layed them in the sun to dry). Those stains are no longer. So maybe give that a try?

    I'm also curious to hear about this amber necklace....please do a post about that someday!

    BTW...your baby is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how much you love cloth diapers! We went disposable because of the added effort (or at least the perceived added effort) of managing cloth diapers (plus Jer is a poop-phobic; I think he would have died putting them in the washer). Now that we've got the hang of this keeping-a-kid-alive-business, I think I'd be more likely to go cloth. But we're only a month or so away from potty training, so there's no point now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Warning: This comment is about a certain time of the month, so for good measure you may want to skip reading this...

    I think it's wonderful that you're using cloths on your baby girl (who I have thoroughly enjoyed watching from your tummy to her talking...AH!) Anyway did you/ will you ever use cloth menstrual pads? I considered this once, dismissed it, but your post made me think of it again. Do you have thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought about it but the thought of washing blood out of cloth grosses me out more than washing poop out of cloth - go figure.

    When the time comes, I am going to try the Diva Cup. I've heard good things about it and I want to see what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to start potty-training (sarcasm font.)

    But yeah, cloth is definitely not for the poop-phobic. There's a small learning curve with the diaper sprayer and I have sprayed the bathroom with poop water before I got it figured out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much! I think she's pretty cute myself...

    I have sunned them and the stains do get lighter but they don't completely disappear like they did when she was exclusively breastfed. They're not too bad - you have to squint to see which ones are stained and they're a year old so I think we're doing pretty well! :-)

    I'll have to write about her necklace sometime...I'm not sure if it works, but teething is no joke and I was willing to do anything to help with the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm on the DFW Cloth Diaper Group FB page and that's a good idea. Maybe I'll go to their next meet up and see if there's someone who might be interested! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

    Diaper snobs unite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have sunned them and the stains do get lighter, but they don't completely disappear like when she was exclusively breastfed. I haven't done it in a while though - I may try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously...he cough-gags when he has to clean the clean toilet. :) It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How many hemp inserts should I get? And based on your detergent comment, should I get Babyganics and skip the Rockin Green? Should I get some newborn disposables because she'll be too small for cloth at first? You're the best, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd get three. I have two and I wash the diapers only every three days, so there's a night when both hemps are dirty and I have to use a disposable. If I had just one more, I wouldn't have to do disposables at night. I'm just lazy and haven't bought any more.

    You totally could do newborn cloth and I'd recommend it because this is your first baby, so you could use them again with another baby. I was so intimidated by cloth and the options, I chickened out and put newborn disposables on my registry. I was gifted so many diapers that it was kind of a moot point - by the time we used up the newborn and a couple packs of size 1's, she'd grown into her cloth. My neighbor uses Softbums for newborn cloth, I've also heard that Lil Joey and Rumprooz are good for newborn cloth. If I was planning on two kids and was on my first like you, I would totally do newborn cloth.

    As for detergent, my choice is again because I'm a chickenshit. I've only ever used Rockin Green and I'm scared to do anything else. I was terrified that one time I used Babyganics but I'm telling you, my diapers came out just fine! But Young House Love uses 7th Generation on theirs, and I've heard of people using All Free and Clear and Tide with no problems, so I think you'd be okay using the Babyganics. I think once I run out of this batch of Rockin Green I'll use the Babyganics on my diapers until I run out of it.

    Luh you girl!!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin