Friday, May 4, 2012

Don't drink the water

So, everybody and they mama seems to be pregnant these days and it got me thinking about the state of my uterus.  Namely, how it is blissfully unoccupied and how I rather like it that way.
I sure am glad you're on the outside, little girl.

When I was pregnant, at least once a day I got asked The General Question:  How are you feeling?  It's what people ask to be polite but they don't really want to/care to get in your business.  When the baby was born, it was "How is she sleeping/Is she sleeping through the night yet?"

Now that we've passed the one year mark, I'm starting to get the third General Question, or variation thereof:  "When do you think you'll have another one?  Are you thinking about another one?  Have you guys thought about adding to your family?  When is Sofia getting a little brother or sister?"

I don't get offended because I know it's just what people ask.  Sometimes I give the head-tile half-smile and say "We'll see," in that non-committal way.  But if it's coming from someone who's anything more than a casual acquaintance, I'm much more expressive.

Oh HAY-ull NO!


When Sofia was about three months old, I wrapped her up in the Moby and Drew and I went to the farmer's market.  We were eating lunch and somehow the topic of getting pregnant again came up.  I looked him dead in his eye and very slowly and clearly said, "Do you understand, I would cry if I got pregnant again right now.  Do you hear me?  CRY."


I still feel that way but for different reasons.  I'm still on my own during the week.  For the most part, Drew leaves on Sunday mornings and comes home Thursday evenings.  He works Friday during the day, does yardwork on Saturdays and we usually have a showing or two so we can't lounge around the house. I do laundry so he can pack Saturday night and he's gone again on Sunday.  Friday nights are the only free nights we have as a family, but we're both usually so exhausted from our lives that it's not quality time.  And it sucks.  I Could. Not. Imagine being pregnant right now.  AND taking care of a toddler whose new favorite game is making messes?  The other day, she dumped out an entire ziploc bag of dried rosemary on the kitchen floor while I was in the bathroom.
She's also intent on learning to use a spoon.
If I try and feed her, she screams in protest and insists on trying to do it herself.
She's not quiiiiite there yet.


If I were pregnant on top of that?  Yeah, I would cry.


Plus, I feel like I'm starting to get a tiny piece of my life back.  I have the energy to put on makeup more often.  I wear jewelry again.  Sofia's starting to become interested in other things besides me and my boobs, so I can put her on the floor in the living room and she'll actually play by herself for a little while.


She's going to start a Mother's Day Out program in June and I'm going to get one day a week all to myself!  I'm terrified to leave her, but it's right around the corner from the house and if she wigs out, I can be there in less than five minutes.  But if she doesn't wig out, I will be gloriously free from 9a-3p every Wednesday!  I am positively giddy at the prospect. I may just lay on the sofa all day.  I can take a shower in the morning again!  And it won't have to be two minutes long with her banging on the shower door, crying!  I can go to the mall and try clothes on!  The possibilities are endless!


I started thinking about all these things when I read about yet another pregnancy announcement, some of them having their second child.  I felt compelled to write when I read about a blogger's very tongue in cheek (I hope) guide to getting your husband to agree to another baby in 30 days or less.


If Drew did that to me, I would be livid.  If I liked the state of my unoccupied uterus, I would expect him to respect that and not badger me to get knocked up again.  If I continually said no and he didn't listen to me, I would quickly start to resent him and wonder if he no longer saw me as a person, or if I was just a carrier of his progeny.  And if I were a guy and my wife ignored what I was saying and was just trying to milk me of my man juice, I'd be straight-up pissed.  


Having babies isn't a game, and women who poke holes in condoms or don't properly take their birth control or worse, lie about their birth control give women a bad name.  Those who would resort to any other kind of underhanded manipulation to get a baby are just as bad.  You're sending a message that your husband's desires aren't as important as your own and we women are quick to get up in arms when the shoe is on the other foot.     
I do NOT get into politics here.
This is just an illustration of how vehement we can get about
our bodies, and rightfully so.
Don't men get to have the same say over theirs?


I don't know if I'll have more kids.  For one thing, I have no clue if I'm even ovulating.  Sofia's still nursing pretty regularly and the thing that happens every 28 days hasn't happened to me yet.  If I say the word, it will surely come and I'm enjoying my low-maintenance vagina, thank you very much.  I know you can ovulate without a cycle, but then you also need man juice for a pregnancy and that's a mite difficult given our present geographical constraints.  


I already told Drew that we will not even think of having the baby discussion until we're in the same city for a good amount of time, like at least six months, maybe longer.  I learned my lesson with the dog.  After incessant badgering, I caved and agreed under duress to get a dog, but only if we had a house.  No lie, Drew bought a house like two months later and we had a dog eight days after we moved in.  And you KNOW how I feel about that dog.  That shit will NOT happen again.  So there will be no baby until *I'm* good and ready, not a second before and he BET NOT try anything funny.


I realize my whole tone may come across bitchy and judgmental.  But there are few things I feel very strongly about and babies are one of them.  NO ONE, man or woman, should be badgered to have kids.  We should all have our wishes respected and if your spouse says no, it's your job to respect that, no matter how much you don't like it.  


I absolutely expect my husband to respect my wishes, so why wouldn't I respect his?


Okay, I'm off my soapbox now and of course, now that I've put my opinion out there, expect my pregnancy announcement to come any day now.


Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Dude. Amen. I get so sick of people trying to force others to do things. When are you getting engaged? When are you getting married? When are you having a baby? Seriously. It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I understand it's social norms and people like to talk about that stuff, but it still annoys me. HAHA I saw enjoy your low maintenance vagina and that adorable toddler of yours. And sell your darn house so you can move to the same city as your husband. Seriously people. It's a GORGEOUS house. Buy the darn thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I SOOO hear ya on this one. I know which blogger you're referring to as well, and I had the same gut reaction to her post. I would be SO mad if my hubby waged an all out war on me to get me to change my mind about the timing of kid#2.

    In my case, I think I'm in your position. My husband said "no way" to another kid for the first two months... and the past few months, he's already told me a few times that he wants the kids close together, exactly what he's going to name our second child (b/c in his head it's a girl)...and most recently, that December would be a good time to start trying again. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! That means 2 yrs of gnarley TTC, 9 months of pregnancy, 1 yr of breastfeeding, and then straight back into the cycle. Definitely not sure I'm ready for that.

    That being said, we're not preventing, b/c who knows if I'll even start ovulating on my own, so an 'oops' pregnancy would be a blessing. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And all common-sense people said "Amen!!" Seriously, though, you're spot on. I see so much of this at the hospital or in clinic, it just blows my mind. And especially in Texas, where politicians seem to have no respect for a woman's right to choose when she wants or doesn't want a child - beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree. I just don't get how any one person gets to decide that they know my body better than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I debated writing anything at all, but this is my blog and that's what it's here for, right?

    And I'm with you - the TTC and pregnancy is what I am NOT excited about. I am not chomping at the bit to start sticking myself with needles again!

    But in the same vein, it was such a challenge to get Sofia it feels a little reckless to say I'm not ready for more kids...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah! We'd only been dating a few months before marriage pestering started! So annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie -Loves of lifeMay 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

    First of all, I would have cried if I was pregnant at Sofia's age, too. I was NOT even the slightest bit ready to be pregnant again when Eme turned 1. NOT EVEN CLOSE. It turns out that around 18 months? I was totally ready. But 6 months made a huge difference. SO you aren't weird at all for not wanting to have another baby, right now, or ever. That's personal, like you said. Also, I completely agree that women who do that crazy ish to get pregnant (trick their husbands, etc) are evil. THAT IS THE MOST AWFUL THING I'VE EVER HEARD. I have way too much respect for my husband to do that. He was ready for baby 2 before I was. I told him I was not ready and to please not bring it up until I BROUGHT IT UP AGAIN. And he respected that. When I felt ready (MY BODY, MY UTERUS DUDE!), I told him--and thus the cycle of trying for baby 2 began. You know? That's how it SHOULD work. Two consenting adults. baha. But yea.

    I have told Declan that IF WE EVER have a 3rd, that It won't be for many years. Like, I want 3 solid years between baby 2 and 3. He doesn't like that but guess what? TWO CONSENTING ADULTS. If I'm not consenting, ain't happening. ;P Tough life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just letting you know in case you don't realize it or don't care but your address clearly visible in that first pic. Wouldn't want you getting any unwelcome visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fixed it - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I beat you to the postpartum period! Not like it's a race or anything...I love not having a period. So I suppose you're the "winner", right? :)

    I'm not trying and not preventing, which to be honesty is more equivalent with trying than not. Eric's totally fine with having a 4th and then after that who knows...he came from a family of 7 children, but of course his mom starting having her kids when she was 20. I think he's more sold on having 4, I'm leaning towards 5 (the number of children in my family). But my philosophy is to take it one child at a time. It's weird, though, because my mom had her last when she was 35. I was 10 at the time and I remember thinking that 35 was SO OLD. I'm only a year away from that now and don't feel anywhere near that age. Hm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I have a large family, but it is something we both agreed upon. The last pregnancy was three years ago and we both agreed no more. I was adamant about that. It was a twin pregnancy and I couldn't handle the bedrest and not being there for our other children. I would never pressure my husband into having a baby, and I'd hope he'd extend the same courtesy to me. My sister feels the same as you. Her lifestyle is so busy and she doesn't see another baby in her future. I fully support her. She would be the one at home with the baby, not me or others.

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, when I see posts about women trying to get their spouses to agree to another baby... I don't get it, it sounds so conniving, the exact opposite of what a marriage will be.

    I agree on everything you feel about being pregnant right now. And although J is right here in the same city is me, he works two jobs so Zo's care is basically on my hands.

    When Zo is doing something incredibly cute, I tease him and say, "Hey get me pregnant right now... let's have another." But he knows I don't mean it. it was just yesterday that I told him we should wait until I am 35 to do it again.

    Zo is a little bit younger than Sofia but I cannot imagine what it would be like juggling two babies, two baby car seats, etc. I can imagine you start to rush their childhoods... "i wish she'd hurry up and walk..." "Hurry up and feed herself.:" ETC. I feel like right now, I'm taking it nice and slow and I get to enjoy Zo being a baby and she gets to get a less stessed mom. Waiting is best for both of us right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. S/N: I am kinda hating on you that aunt flo has not came back for you yet!!!! Mine came back when she was 6 months and I breastfeed constantly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I read that other blog too and feel the same way you do about. You don't pressure your spouse about something so serious. And if they say they aren't ready then you leave them the Hell alone about it until they are. My munchkin is gonna be 3 this year and I think I may be read for a second and final child but I'm on no rush and will never pressure the man to knock me up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl. I've been side-eyeing those same posts. I have a friend whose husband got her pregnant without her consent and that (among many, many other things) has led to some....tension, to put it lightly. I totally understand why you will be waiting (if you decide to try for another). As for the General Questions....people will be people. Annoyingly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're mean sometimes. She states very clearly she isnt pressuring but making it clear her wishes. Her husband finds it cute and funny. And she is not tricking him in any way. Just because you can't handle two and aren't in a good enough point in your own life or relationship doesn't mean you can judge others. Plain mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice try, but nowhere in those posts does it even imply that her husband thinks it's cute or funny. And I never said she was tricking him. I actually never said anything about her. I said that if anyone treated me the way she's treating her husband I would feel disrespected and angry. Then I made a general statement about women that do trick their men and how it sets us back as women.

      And taking stabs at my relationship/life and *I'm* the mean one??

      Delete
    2. I have to agree with the other anonymous. Not that it matters but your blog is now off my reading list. You bitch way to much and are crazy!

      Delete
    3. Hmm, name-calling *and* you can't spell?

      I say Good Riddance!

      Delete
  17. Well, I have to make it past 13.5 months to 'win.' :-)

    And as long as y'all are on the same page, I say go for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin