Monday, August 6, 2012

I guess I live here now

Well hello there!

So much has happened in the week that I've been gone.  For one, I live on the east coast now.  Wait, or is that East Coast?  I still have to learn how they do things here.  
My car was the last thing to arrive in Pennsylvania, sealing the deal.
This is my home now.

Can I tell you how amazing it is to spend a leisurely weekend with my family?  Thanks, 'cuz I'm gonna.  It's AMAZING.  Our apartment is super nice and spacious and the furniture isn't even that bad!  I had visions of having to spend the month in a cramped apartment with 1970s furniture and I was not looking forward to it, so I breathed a huge sigh of relief when we walked in and there was no shag or plaid in sight.  We are not roughing it in any way!  I actually think the apartment might be a little bigger than our new house!

I spent last week in Kansas with my family and I had no time to blog because I was trying to keep my daughter from killing herself at every turn.  My parents have small, sharp, breakable, chokeable EVERYTHING.  Plus, my dad is a packrat so every conceivable surface had some small thing  that he got from somewhere that was at just the right height for Sofia to grab.  There was so much stuff everywhere that baby-proofing would have been impossible.  Never mind that my dad is a selfish punk who didn't see the need to move the tiny vase filler rocks that were in every single glass container on the floor.  For every vase or bowl that I moved to a higher spot, Sofia would just go to the other five vases and put those rocks in her mouth.  Or head for the stairs that had no baby gates.  Or grab the heavy glass balls that were as big as her head, that she always narrowly avoided dropping on her toes.  Or climb on chairs and try to jump off.  Or take things off the already packed shelves.  I'm out of breath and anxious just reliving it.  Seriously, my parents' house is a death-trap and I'm more than a little annoyed that *I* was pretty much the only one chasing after the baby.  However, it's bygones at this point and I'm moving on.

I only got a break from saving her life when we left the house to go visiting.  I went to see my girlfriend Brandi, who has two young daughters and I was never so happy to see outlet covers and baby gates!
Her youngest is a month younger than Sofia and they had a great time playing with each other.  At least I think they did; you can never tell with babies.

I also got to see several of my other girlfriends and it was so nice to spend time with all of them, but soon enough it was time to get on the (teeny) plane to Philadelphia!

As usual, Sofia was amazing on the flight, charming all who crossed her path.  Although, she's starting to become more assertive and even walked up to another little girl in the airport demanding, "Bite! Bite!" of her grapes.  I was mortified and profusely apologized, but thankfully she and her parents were cool and gave Sofia a few of her grapes.  You'd think I don't feed the kid, but I do, I swear.  We had our own food but it's never as good as the food that belongs to someone else, doncha know.

She slept most of the way and seeing Drew in baggage claim was a dream come true!  It was so weird when he hugged me and was like, "Welcome home!"  For a second, I was like, no, we're just visiting.  Oh wait, we do live here now!

Reading is an hour from the Philly airport but it's an easy drive and we were at the apartment in no time.  We went to the grocery store, cooked dinner and ate as a family!  Yes, we've done that in Dallas a million times before, but it was different; you could feel it.  There wasn't that underlying sense of urgency, that we had to clean the house for the showing in the morning.  There was no sense of being 'on the clock' because Drew would have to leave in less than 48 hours.  We were home, having dinner and it was so blessedly normal.  

Saturday, Sofia and I went to a baby shower for one of his co-workers and it was so surreal to say I live here now.  I'm sure it'll take me a while to get used to it, but the thing I'm LOVING is the extra set of hands!  I'm so accustomed to doing everything myself that it's a major treat to have Drew around!  Sunday morning, he got up with the baby and I got two hours extra sleep!  Two hours people!  I can't even tell you the last time that happened!  It was beautiful and I can absolutely get used to that!

Both days we hit the grocery store because we have a daily meal allowance that we have to use or lose.  Again, it's not like we haven't gone to the store together before but knowing that we don't have to squeeze in our together time just removes so much pressure and it was such a great day!

We are off to a great start and I'm going to a mom's meetup at a park tomorrow - if I don't lose my nerve.  I'm nervous about making mom friends because I'm not that good at it.  I usually get word vomit-y and start tripping over myself and it's just a mess.  I'm trying not to think about it because I'll just talk myself out of it and I really would like to meet people here.  

At any rate, I have to figure out what to make for dinner tonight because Drew will be home shortly after 5(!!!!) and I want to have dinner ready when he gets here!

Except, wait.  He's going to be home every night this week, and weekends too.  For the rest of the month.  Do you know how many meals that is?  I just thought of that - I have to feed him every single day?

*This* should be interesting.... 

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. OMG! YAY! I'm so happy! You're HOME with your FAMILY in one place!! YAY!! I can't wait to hear all about that mom meetup. YOU'RE GOING! No backing out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is beautiful! Hope you enjoy Pennsylvania. I loved living on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Sofia is soooo tan! I love it! Summertime babies1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sofia's dress and love that you're starting your Pennsylvania life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, weren't you pissed off that somebody else's kid ate off your plate at a playdate?? Yet your kid ate someone else's food at an airport!? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I was cringing. And it got me thinking - and writing. I'm posting a follow up right now. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh trust me, I just read it and feel the SAME WAY. How do I make them understand sharing is good but never accept a strangers food but not hurt anyone's feelings and and and and!!!?? Ah! Haha. It's a roller coaster for sure!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back to non-single-motherhood! Drew isn't traveling as much with his new job, right? What a different this will make for your whole family.

    Isn't Drew a big fan of cooking? I'm sure he can take over some dinner duties once you've settled in. I finally sat down with Eric and came up with a schedule where he's responsible for dinner twice a week, on Fridays and Sundays. Zari does Thursdays. I do the rest and/or we have a dinner coop that gets delivered to me. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Glad to hear it's going smashingly! :) Can't wait for another update - enjoy the ride ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moms are totally going to be fighting over being friends with you. I mean, I know I would.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin