Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Grief painting

I spent the whole weekend wondering if I was still pregnant, or if this next minute would be the one where I'd start bleeding.  It was hell.  I hated not knowing and I found myself slowly going just a little bit crazy.  So when Drew stepped in and said "Hey, I'll watch the baby.  Why don't you finish your table," I was so grateful to have somewhere else to focus my energy.

A couple of months ago, I went to a consignment sale with a friend of mine.  I'd always wanted to go to one, but one thing or another always got in the way.  But this time, the stars aligned and we went to the JBF sale at the Reading Expo, which is a giant convention center.

I had a list of clothes I wanted to find but when we went in, I ended up making a beeline for the furniture.  I didn't know consignment sales had furniture, and I just knew the good stuff would get snatched up quick.  That's how I ended up coming home with this guy.
It was a little loud and scary but for $20, he was coming home with me.
Especially when West Elm's version, which isn't even available anymore,
was costing more than 100 bucks just for the table!
A little spray paint ought to quiet you down nicely.

I was paranoid about the designs showing through on the chairs, so I went crazy with the sandpaper and primer.  I must have put five coats of primer on the chair seats and backs.  I didn't put any on the legs because I ran out of steam.
Outside, ready for paint.
It took two full cans of Rustoleum's Gloss White, plus a little from a third can.

I brought them in to dry overnight and then I sanded them with a finishing block, so it wasn't so rough feeling.  I wonder if all spray paint is like that, or if it's just Rustoleum, but the chairs and table legs felt like sandpaper.  So much for glossy white, but it was nothing a little sanding couldn't handle.

Then I painted a chalkboard top for the table and that took forever.  That was like five or six coats too, but I'm really pleased with how it came out.  I even free-handed a little monogram on the back for Sofia - that's what I got at Michael's before I got stuck in their bathroom.

So, what do you think?
Behold, the power of white spray paint.
Sofia thought it was pretty cool too.
She's learning her colors and if you ask her, she'll tell you 
her favorite color is green.
So of course, we had to go green with the monogram.
"That's an S for Sofia!"
I like to imagine she's saying "Not bad, Mom!"
Getting a closer look.
I also got this rocking chair at the consignment sale - five bucks!
He's just waiting for his coat of yellow spray paint.
Thus ended our photoshoot, because someone thinks that being a daredevil is fun.
before
after
Not too bad, right?

It was so helpful to have something to do to pass the time, and I'm really happy with how her little table came out.  I still have lots to do before her room is done *coughcurtainscough* but crossing a project off the list feels good.

What about you?  Have you ever been to one of those consignment sales?  Did you score any good stuff?  I got Sofia's Christmas dress for five bucks!

*I go to the doctor in a couple of hours and I wrote this to distract myself while the baby sleeps.  It only sorta worked.


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Lady. I am thinking of you.
    Your table is beautiful and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is freaking amazing. I wouldn't even know where to start on a project like that. How adorable - and I love the chalkboard top idea!


    hang in there lady... ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the transformation! I need to think about how much better something will look with just a coat of paint.

    I'll be thinking of you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your doing OK, I read your post last night and didn't have any words of wisdom except that your a great mommy, I'll be thinking of you.

    The table and chairs turned out darling, love the swirly S on the back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much better than the railroad theme! I get lots of stuff--okay, almost everything all of us wear & much of what we use--secondhand. Often it's utilitarian but sometimes I have great finds. Like the Laura Ashely down featherbed that someone gave to Goodwill because it had a little rip in it--like 3" long. It took me 5 minutes to repair and now Zari sleeps on a fancy-pants featherbed. (I can't believe that people don't know how to repair a rip...what is this world coming to?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never cease to amaze me! You are a DIY rockstar - LOVE the table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good! Sofia is going to get so much use out of it!! :) And I love that child's hair. Seriously. SO STINKING CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great transformation! When I saw the before pic...I was like...what the hell is she going to do with those stop sign chairs? But the after looks great! I love the monogram! It looks like an entirely different set!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the transformation! I wish I had the eye for these kinds of transformations. I need to try something like this out.

    You have been in my thoughts and prayers lately!

    XO Lourdes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks awesome! You're such a little Martha Stewart :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin