Monday, December 31, 2012

Life is good today

Well here we are kids.  Another year down, another one to go.  Me, I'm glad to have made it through the holidays and I'm anxious to get back to real life.  Don't get me wrong, the holidays were wonderful and Christmas Day with Sofia was pretty much the best day of the year.  But, I'm just ready to get back into the regular swing of everyday life.  So, bring on 2013!

However, we have to wrap up some loose ends so we go into the New Year so fresh and so clean clean.  Yeah I know, it sounded better in my head.  Nevertheless...

Drew's work dinner.  I ran out of time to go shopping.  I found so many cute things online but before I knew it, there was no time for shipping, so I had to make do with what I had in my closet.
PS, I detest taking pictures of myself, which is why I cropped out the ridiculous expression on my face.  It's all about the outfit anyway.  From what I understand, peplums are very now and the flowy-ness was very forgiving of my squishy midsection.
I felt very special with my fun jewelry and I even had a good hair and makeup day.
You'll have to trust me on that one because truly, I looked constipated in this picture.
I wore my pointy heels, even though it was 
freezing outside.  It was totally worth it because 
I felt a little like the old me.  

We had lots of fun, Sofia did great with the babysitter, AND I met a girl!  I knew we were going to be friends the minute I saw her sequined top and black leather jacket.  Finally, someone in Reading with some fashion sense!  PLUS, she's from Mexico so I got to spend the whole night speaking Spanish, which was pretty much the most fun thing ever.  

Me, as a mother.  So, I had this whole post written out about how I was turning over a new leaf as a mom.  But that was the day of the Newtown shootings and it just didn't feel right.  Plus, I tried to edit it from my phone and the whole post got deleted so the five people that saw it, go do something else right now because you already know what I'm going to say.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I'm going to calm the F down when it comes to being a mom.  My kid is amazing and awesome and it's due in large part to me.  I need to say that more often and I need to believe it because it's true.  So what her school isn't teaching her advanced calculus.  That's okay, because she *is* learning.  As you fine readers pointed out, she's learning to interact with other children.  She's learning to be okay without me.  Just because her teachers do her crafts for her, it's not going to ruin her life, and neither will a little tv.  They don't watch tv every day, she doesn't watch it a lot at home and it's not like when she does it's Law and Order SVU or something like that.  And those four hours a week that I get all to myself are way too sacred to just toss them aside.  There is plenty of time for her to learn and I just need to settle down.

But that's what happens when it's just you and the internet day in and day out.  All I see are the images of the perfect moms with their perfect kids who love every craft and activity their perfect moms set out for them, and I got caught up in subconsciously trying to be that mom.  I have actually sat Sofia down in front of an activity and said, "Pinterest says you'll love this!"

Yes, I've done that.  I need an intervention - preferably with wine.  Isn't that how interventions go?

But no more.  If she doesn't like something, I'm no longer going to take it personally.  I'll let it go and maybe try it again in a few weeks.  Or not.  Either way, I'm going to brush my shoulders off and keep it movin'.  Like a boss.
Or a thug.  Your choice.
PS, when I found this picture it pretty much made my life.

The canvas of failure.  Remember when I was totally defeated that Sofia didn't like to fingerpaint?  You know, like three posts ago?  I can't remember and I'm trying to finish typing before Sofia wakes up.  Anyway, once again you fine readers talked me off the ledge and I thank you so much for that.  One of you was like, hey, no big.  So what she doesn't like fingerpaints?  Give her a paintbrush and try again with that.

Y'all are geniuses - seriously.  And that's exactly what I did.  I put a paintbrush in her hand and we tried again and it was brilliant.
After dinner one night, we got to painting.
Drew and I helped with filling in some of the spots, so even though
this is an original by Sofia, it's also a bit of a family affair.

When it came time to put the words on the canvas, it was a no-brainer.  Drew loves his country music and Zac Brown Band is one his favorites.  I have to admit, some of the songs have grown on me and I don't complain as much when we have Zac Brown on Pandora.  Anyway, one of his favorite songs is Toes, which isn't the best name for a country song but what are you gonna do.  In the chorus it says "Life is good today" and that really resonated with me.  It's a good mantra and good sentiment, and an all around good way to look at things.  I'm thinking that's going to be my mantra for 2013.  So that's what went on our canvas.
Down the line, I may do some sort of outline so the letters stand out more,
but for now I'm celebrating the successes.
We did a craft as a family!

And last but not least, today is Drew's birthday.  I'm the lame-o broke-ass housewife and I didn't get him anything and I feel terrible about it.  I should have hand-stitched a quilt for him or something like that, but let's face it, I'm not that kind of girl.  Mostly because it would take me an entire year to sew even one square.  However, Drew is an amazing husband and didn't give me a hard time about it.  Getting him a great birthday present for the next birthday is my number one resolution.  Actually, not procrastinating is my number one resolution but if I don't procrastinate I can plan and make his birthday great because I really do feel bad, because Drew makes my life good every day.  Go on, vomit if you must but it's true.  My husband is the best.

With that, I'm outta here.  I'm going to do my best to make the rest of this day special for my awesome husband.

Happy New Year everyone!   

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. i love that painting! :D how did you get the letters to come out like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painting is awesome! I am going to pin it :)
    I like your 2013 mantra. You looked great at Drews party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mantra, and I love the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember seeing anything about girlie not liking to fingerpaint. L HATES it and pretty much any sort of craft so far:( I could have told you that and made you feel better...we routinely wipe crayon off the wall because her idea of art of graffiti.

    Your canvas is fantastic and totally deserves a "how to". And then I WILL PIN IT and you WILL be one of those moms. I am so glad you are embracing this life, thug mama, because I am right here with you. I made 2 pinterest items today and both went in the trash.

    Love the family art! Happy birthday to Drew...this is a hard time of year to have a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like how the detail on the jacket and the shirt is similar. cute! i also love the mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the outfit!!! :) Hot mama! I love your new thoughts on Sofia... I think you're totally right! And that canvas... SO PRETTY! Love it, and love the quote! Happy new year friend!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin