Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Birthday spoils

This past Saturday completed one more turn around the sun for me.  37, to be exact.  So I guess technically I'm in my 38th year, but since no one says that, we'll say I turned 37.  I'm not afraid of 40 but I don't need to get there any faster than absolutely necessary.

This is the fifth birthday blog I've written, and each birthday has been better than the last.  The first birthday blog, I wrote about getting a trip to Paris for my birthday.
Holding the itinerary.
This seems like a million years ago.

By my next birthday, I'd been married and had my first miscarriage.  Talk about surreal.
My lovely hubby also got me my laptop.  
Me and this laptop have seen some things.

The birthday after that was a million times better because I had a Sofia in my belly.
I have no memory of being pregnant.
I always said I'd never forget it, but life moves on and then all you have left are the pictures.
My pregnant friends, take lots of pictures!

I barely noticed the next birthday because I was knee deep in planning Sofia's first birthday party and making 65,000 cakes in pursuit of The One Cake.
My baby was so tiny!!
You remember this?
I seriously laughed out loud when I saw this picture.

They've been good birthdays and I'm thankful each year that I've made it to see another one.  This birthday, I'm in a new town with (very few) new friends, but my family is together, my baby is healthy (who's not at all a baby anymore - she's almost 2!!), and I've still got a little pep in my step.

My one friend offered to hang out with Sofia for a couple of hours while Drew and I had some alone time and we happily took her up on it.  We snuck off to a nearby restaurant and had some dessert and cocktails.
Drew got me a beautiful statement necklace and I hate that 
the picture is so blurry.  But I didn't want to be that guy and have the bartender
take a million pictures so we went with it.

It was nice to have a few moments alone and it really made me realize that we don't do that kind of stuff nearly enough, and my husband is a pretty cool dude.  We should get out like that more often.

After we came home, we decided to go out to eat since we were dressed and Sofia *seemed* to be up for it.  
Again with the blurry pictures, but whatevs.
Making funny faces, trying to keep her occupied until the food came.
She'd had enough of the high chair, so I tried to appease her by having her sit with me.
No dice.

Shortly after this picture was taken, Sofia had a Stage 5 meltdown that required us to pack up our food two seconds after it hit the table, and get on home before she took that whole restaurant down with her.  Eh.  Life with a toddler.  Drew and I had our meals in bed and watched a movie on the iPad which was even better.  It was still a great birthday and I still had a great day.

What's more, my lovely little mommy sent me some shopping money and I promptly went to Target and Old Navy and picked up all the things I've been eyeing.  And yes, I know I complain about my lack of fashion originality and how I used to shop at the cool places, but the fact is, my job as a stay at home mom is a Target/Old Navy kind of job.  How would I look in some Nieman Marcus blouse, having to wash spaghetti sauce and almond butter and pee out of it? (I have had all three of these things on me in the past morning.)  

I'm a stay at home mom and I shop at Target and Old Navy.  When I've got some fancy dinner to attend, I'll make the field trip out to Nordstorm, but for now, this is how I do me.

Plus, it made me happy to hit up Target and fill my cart!
Our dinky doormat was giving me the blues.
This one makes me much happier.
Our old kitchen dish towels matched our old red kitchen,
but was out of place in the new one.
New white towels will match everything from now on.

They're small things, but they make me happy and I get a little smile on my face every time I look at them.  Once my stuff from Old Navy arrives, I may do a little fashion show because it's been ages since I bought clothes for myself.
While we were in Target, I also picked up Sofia's birthday party outfit.
I'll give you three guesses what her birthday theme is going to be.

I also got a phone call from Drew telling me to go to Best Buy to pick up another birthday present.  I thought I was done with presents and honestly I wasn't expecting anything else.

Then this happened.

Oh you can't see that so well?  Let me help you.
Isn't that just the prettiest thing you've ever seen?

This, my friends, is the sole reason for this post.  I could have just been like, 'I got a vacuum for my birthday but Pretty Ricky requires more than that.  He requires a build-up, an introduction.  And yes, I named him.  No reason behind the name other than I like the way it sounds.  And he's just so pretty.  I squealed for a good five minutes when I found out what Drew had done.

And feminists, step to the left.  I got an appliance for my birthday and I'm THRILLED.  I want to make out with it.  It's gorgeous and I love it and I don't care who knows about it.

I have a disgusting hairy dog and her shedding gives me anxiety attacks.  I'd been saying that I wanted a new vacuum but I never in my wildest dreams that Drew would consent to getting another one until our current one completely crapped out.  So I continued to vacuum every day, knowing that it wasn't picking up like it should, leaving behind all manner of dog nastiness in my area rugs.  I prayed for the death of my old vacuum.

So when this guy came home, Drew could barely put it together before I snatched it out of his hands and hit that power button.  Our living room rug literally got a shade lighter with all the crap Pretty Ricky was able to suck up!  I vacuumed the whole house and was fascinated and disgusted by all the stuff that was in the cannister.
Peace out, Barney.  You can handle the basement work.
Pretty Ricky's got things covered upstairs.

Ricky's cannister is smaller but there is no denying he's got more power.  He's so much lighter and has his own pack of tools!  Y'all, I'm in love.

So, once again, another birthday is in the can.  I'm another year wiser, another year more comfortable in my skin and it's back to real life for me.  I finally finished painting the playroom, I'm starting to plan Sofia's birthday party, and we have started potty training.  There's nothing like scrubbing pee out of your newly vacuumed living room rug to bring you right back to Earth.

But it's nothing Ricky and I can't handle.  Now if you'll excuse me, I think I see some dog hair that needs to be taken care of.

23 comments:

  1. Happy birthday friend!! :) So glad you had a good one! We got a Dyson for a wedding present when we combined all of our gift cards and I did the EXACT SAME THING. Vacuumed everywhere and completely grossed myself out. HAHA! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!! I always hear amazing things about that vacuum! Especially for ppl who have big dogs, works wonders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing. My floors have never felt cleaner and I no longer have dog-hair tumbleweeds rolling around my house!

      Delete
  3. happy birthday!

    now you're gonna make me go to target for that outfit! Jas would just die!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! A new vacuum would have made me happy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, happy birthday! Sounds like you had a great time. And Old Navy and Target are where it's at nowadays. Anywhere I can put girlfriend in a cart is where I am going! I'm glad to have a picture with the Foofa shirt you described:) And what a fab present from Drew. All members of my household are afraid of our Dyson, so congrats on being able to actually use it! Have a good birthday week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, sadly, I am DYING for that vaccuum. Probably going to use our tax refund money on it actually!!

    Happy birthday. :) It's fun to see the yearly progression of photos. And I agree - I can barely remember a thing about being pregnant. So weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL it's name is pretty ricky I am dead! HAPPY BELATED!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! My vacuum is totally dying but I've been holding out on getting a new one. I hear dysons are great...but I am so cheap that I don't know if I can go there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy refurbished ones for up to half the price. You don't have dogs so I'm sure a regular vacuum would do just fine, but now that I've used the Dyson I'm never going back!

      Delete
  9. I treated myself to Pretty Ricky's older brother Sexxy Simon in 2009 (same vacuum minus the ball). We've been in quite the love affair. If you figure out a way to empty the cruddy stuff without having to touch it or without the dustmites flying back up in your face, let *me* know! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just shove the canister as far down into the trash as I can, but it's not perfect. The dust doesn't fly up, but the static electricity makes the dust cling to the outside of the canister and I usually have to give that a swipe too.

      PS, Sexxy Simon is the best name ever!!

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday!!! I love the recap of b-days past. And the joy of a new vacuum cleaner! I totally get it. My Dh put up a whole bunch of pegs in our coat closet for mother's day last year, and I have to say, I am still really really excited about it. Who says practicality and happiness can't go hand-in-hand?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I.LOVE.MY.DYSON. Best birthday present ever (second of course to Sofia!) So good to see you Desiree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday, Desiree! Nothing like a brand new vac - especially a Dyson :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday. You still look as fabulous as you did when you were 2, I bet. WTF are you and Beyonce using on your skin? The breastmilk of Cambodian women? Ok, you have to google that phrase and Chapelle Show to get it. But honestly, it's freaking gorgeous.

    I know all about the toddler breakdown. Yep, and having to pack up and leave the restaurant. Alll of that.

    I don't know how to shop for myself ONLY... I cannot leave without going to Zoe's side of the store because Target is also my fave, and JCPenney's and I just added Kohl's to the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! I'm cherishing that compliment right now because the hormones are currently causing my face to explode! Why can't I have wrinkles OR pimples - not both!

      And yeah, I think our days of dining out as a family are over until she's at least five.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad to hear that your husband bought you a new vacuum cleaner on your birthday. Having a vacuum cleaner is really a big help. Of course, no one would want to spend an entire day just cleaning around the house, right? By the way, your vacuum cleaners in different colors looks cool. Now that you have two vacuum cleaners, maybe you can clean your house together with your husband. What do you think?

    -Deidra Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Having a higher-powered vacuum cleaner can really help in those fur and carpet related problems. A normal one can handle most dust and dirt in tiles and hardwood, but for carpets, go buy the best sucker you can find. Just be careful not to suck the whole carpet in while cleaning!

    Lyda @ CleanCarpetChicago.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lyda - I'm pretty sure vacuums aren't designed to suck the carpet itself. Hahaha! Anyway, vacuum cleaners are helpful in cleaning carpets. I'm glad we decided to buy one last month. At least we'll control the dirt that stuck around at the carpet. :)

      Chastity @ My Home

      Delete
  16. Hey, How are going on?

    Nice able website on desireesdaydreams.com.It is a remarkable site for all the sphere of valuable life.I think that it site is one of the basic needs of human being & is kind for any development.Actually I like this site. These tips are very useful especially to those who want to avail in this topic. This is very nice post! I will bookmark this blog.So I want to know these matters as When most people buy genuine Iranian carpeting, they do so for the amazing Asian elegance and the traditional styles and color blends that have been weaved into these items for hundreds of years. But Iranian Carpet rug are rich in record, as well as having being associated with mysticism and fictional custom. If you show genuine Iranian carpeting to kids, the possibilities are that the vital aspect they will think of is a miracle traveling carpet! In latest fictional and movie record, the Iranian wonderful carpet has been represented in a extensive variety of different methods.

    Thank you very much for your write Article.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Having a higher-powered vacuum could actually aid in those hair and carpet associated issues. A typical one can handle most dirt and also dust in ceramic tiles and wood, but for carpetings, go purchase the most effective sucker you can discover. Merely make sure not to suck the whole carpet in while washing!
    Rapid Services Group

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don’t waste your time and don’t take headache if you are unable to sell your old car. We buy all old cars of domestic and foreign makes and models of any year and condition. We give heaps of cash on same day and arrange free removals for old cars that are dead and not running condition. We are Leading Car wreckers & Cash For Cars.Our process of buying old cars is simple and easy. Just call on 0432 479 701 and get your cash for old car without being worried of car removal charges and ownership transfer paperwork. We’ll do all for you.

    https://www.cash-for-old-car.com.au

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin