Tuesday, March 12, 2013

We're all going to the art show

The playroom doors are done, y'all!  We're one step closer to a big reveal and this one only took a couple of hours!

But first, a video.

If you didn't watch the whole thing, I don't blame you.  If you did, thank you for joining me in my torture.  Sofia is obsessed with Yo Gabba Gabba and I find myself singing the songs and doing the voices even when she's not around.  There is no escape from Gabba.

Now, I didn't ask you to watch the video for no reason - it's the backstory to the latest update on the playroom.  One of the things on the to-do list was to make a display space for Sofia's arts and crafts.  I mean yeah, they're not really her crafts but once the playroom is fully stocked, there will be plenty of Originals by Sofia.
These double doors are the perfect spot.
At first, I thought about getting a bunch of clipboards and 
attaching them to the doors, but that would limit how many 
pieces you could display at one time.
Plus, I'm on a budget and didn't want to spend the money to buy them.

image source - also a great post on ideas to display kid art.
A wire and clips appealed to me because you're not as limited in number
but again, I'd have to buy the wire and hooks from Ikea.

But you know what I did have?  A hammer and nails.  And raffia.  Seriously, why do I have this huge roll of raffia?  I don't remember buying it, I don't remember ever saying I needed raffia, yet I have it.  

At any rate, raffia will do just fine as a hanging wire for artwork.  I marched on down to Michael's and picked up a $2 bag of clothespins - and I used a 40% off coupon too.  PS, do not EVER go to Michael's or JoAnn's without coupons.  They have them every single week and you can download the Michael's app on your phone while you're in line and get your discount.  It's dumb to pay full price when you don't have to.

I roughly measured, hammered my nails and strung my raffia across the doors.  It took no time and Sofia was occupied at her chalkboard door while I was hammering away.
I prepped the door by rubbing chalk all over it before she started drawing.
This keeps your writing from being permanent; I learned this the hard way.
Once it was all erased, she got down to the serious business of writing on 
her new chalkboard.
I finished hammering and put her down for her nap.
While she slept, I strung the rest of the raffia and pinned her art to the door.
I may upgrade to the Ikea hooks and wires, but for now, we like free things and did
I mention I had a giant roll of raffia?
Besides, once the doors get filled with art you won't even notice the raffia.
And now I can't stop saying raffia.  Raffia.  Raaaaaaffia.

Since Sofia can't reach the top of the door, 
I figured she wouldn't mind if I put a little something of my own up there.

When Sofia woke up from her nap, I took her back downstairs to see what I'd done.  As soon as she caught sight of the doors, she was like "Art show!!"  Then, she saw the chalkboard door and was like "Mommy make a heart!"

You guys, I about melted into a puddle of mush on the floor.  She acknowledged what I was doing.  My not quite 2-year-old daughter validated my work.  There are grown people who don't do that, even when you tell them that's what you need.  I scooped her up, twirled her around and said "Yes baby!  Art show!  And I did make a heart, just for you!"

And then she went right back to her chalkboard and picked up where she left off.
I also put a little mat down because she sat down to draw 
and that concrete floor can be chilly.

Drew hung the mirror on the other door, but it looks so sad and lonely so I have to come up with something to jazz it up.  Plus the hollow door didn't play nicely with the screws that came with the mirror so it's not perfectly straight.  I'm going to have to get some screws specifically for hollow doors and I'm thinking about putting some sort of saying above the mirror.  It'll be something cool and profound so every time she looks in the mirror she'll stand taller and be empowered and confident and beautiful and strong.  What's a saying that embodies all of that? And yes I know she's barely two, but it's never too early to teach my daughter to be awesome.

Hanging the mirror and making the art display:  That's two things crossed off the to-do list!  This past weekend was packed with stuff we had to do but this weekend is free and clear.  Her birthday party is coming up and I'm really hoping to have everything done by then.  Cross your fingers for me!
I've embraced it and it's happening.
We're having a Gabba birthday party and it's so worth it,
because Sofia literally couldn't stop jumping up and down when I showed her
her birthday invitation.
Just tonight she was like "I love Gabba!"

And I love her, so Gabba it is.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Ahh so sweet, my little guy loves Yo Gabba Gabba and the movie the Lorax I love signing along to that song, lol :)The basement is coming along nicely, love the bookcases and chalkboard door

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use the SOFIA font to write something above the door: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/sofia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have made so much progress!! I really like the Raffia!! I have seen a lot of people trim out mirrors with molding. Since that one is so small I bet it would only be a few bucks + paint...

    ReplyDelete
  4. the greatest thing about Yo Gabba Gabba obsession is, they grow out of it! Jas is 3 now and while she still loves her Yo Gabba Gabba it's not the only thing on her radar anymore. She's not into all things Disney JR and Sponge Bob. Her favorite show is Doc McStuffins and I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the art show! :) And the heart! SO CUTE! It's all coming together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pathetic is it that I didn't have to watch the clip and still started singing the song?

    Pathetic and sad, I tell you.

    The chalkboard door is DOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the chalkboard paint! I really miss having an East Coast basement. No basements in Texas... booo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how I missed this post because we are ALL ABOUT YGG all of a sudden. I downloaded an episode on my phone last July and she was like "eh". She found it about a week ago and is obsessed. And, like another commenter said, I did not even have to play the clip and it alllllll comes rushing into my brain. L somehow found a youtube video of a dad dressed as DJ Lance and the daughter is Foofa. Thought you should show it to Drew so he knows the expectation.

    Thanks for the chalkboard ideas. My parents want to give her one for her bday and I didn't know about the permanent marks! Your basement is looking fab.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin