Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The baby train

Me, just now.

I haven't written in a while, and I do have stuff to write about (playroom stuff!), but there's been this.

This, being the paperwork from the fertility doctors.  This - gathering my medical records from Texas, getting them sent to the doctors here, because we're on the baby train.  When I miscarried in November, we had a serious talk about whether or not we wanted to get back on the baby train, whether or not we were okay with just one child.  We're not.  We want at least one more child; I want Sofia to have a sibling.

I dug out my ovulation predictor sticks, synchronized the app on my phone and got to it.  My cycles have been shorter, but I was still ovulating so I figured things were still working in there.  However, after doing all the things right  - I'm talking strategic activity, people - we were coming up with nothing.  That's not our MO - I've never had problems getting pregnant.  It was the staying pregnant that gave me trouble.  Specifically, the clotting.  If you don't want to click the link to get the backstory, that's cool.  The gist is, I have a clotting disorder that gets stronger with each pregnancy, to the point that it could kick in so fast after conception that I actually stop getting positive pregnancy tests.

I know I'm ovulating - the physical signs are unmistakable.  I get the smiley face on the stick.  We do what we're supposed to be doing - strategically.  But I'm not getting pregnant.

So when this last period started, I did a Google search and called the doctors in the area.  I talked to one of my mom friends (I have three mom friends now!) who went through IVF, and she confirmed that there are really only two 'games in town.'  She went to the super aggressive, Octomom-type doctor.  You know, the one who will do whatever you want as long as you pay for it.  I'm not there yet, so I'm going to the other doctors who I understand to be a little more conservative.

I called the office and gave them my spiel.
"Hi there.  I'm having some trouble conceiving our second child and I'd like to meet with one of your doctors.  I've had issues in the past and I just want to make sure nothing new has cropped up."  Kind, polite, chatty.
"Ok sure.  So, let me get your info. (blah blah blah medical stuff) And how long have you been trying?"
"Since about.....this past October I'd say?"  I don't remember what I had for breakfast two days ago.
Suddenly, she gets all dismissive and condescending.  "Weeeelllllll, we really like you to try for at least a year before you-"
Umm, no bitch.  I cut her ass off.  "I'm 37 years old and I've had three miscarriages already.  I don't have that luxury and I'd really just like to get an appointment."  Lady, do yourself a favor and don't stand in the way of me having another baby.

My appointment is in two weeks.  That's more like it.

My mountain of paperwork arrived yesterday and as I was filling it out, I got a little wistful.  I wonder what it's like for the women who just have sex and get pregnant - that must be cool.  And now that I'm determined to get pregnant again and I've set myself on this mountain, if I end up not being able to have another baby, that's going to be a long-ass fall to the bottom.

And so the research into secondary infertility has begun.  Obviously, I don't have an official diagnosis yet but I'm not waiting for someone to tell me something if I can figure it out for myself.  

I can't lie though, I was hoping that having Sofia would have cured whatever was wrong to begin with, that my body realized that babies are awesome and I do indeed know how to have them.

*sigh*

..........
I've been carrying this around for the past two weeks - you know, the two week wait.  I just knew that this past Friday I was going to see that magic word on the stick.  Instead, I was reaching for the tampons.  Ugh.

But it's all good though - I got a trip to Ikea as my consolation prize and wait till you see what we got!
Because we have to end on a happy note, 
so how about a yogurt-covered toddler
sitting at her new table? 

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Good for you! ANd good luck with the next steps. I'm excited to follow along with you on this journey! (Sophia is ADORBABLE btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with these next steps - it's so intimidating to head back to the RE, but you know now how to be your own best advocate, and that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad you're back on the train! I hope your doctor appointment goes well! And good for you for standing up for yourself! A year! HA. No lady. That's not happening. Love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ya just love how "Appointment Makers" have such authority over our medical care. Sheesh! Glad you got the appointment...I'm sending you good thoughts for a smooth, uncomplicated pregnancy.

    Tina

    PS I haven't heard much about Maya lately, how is she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! If you could have heard her voice with all her 'authority.' It's all good though, I don't have a problem getting big. :-)

      And Maya's good - the cold weather is such a pain in my ass, because we can't get out and walk every day like we used to in Texas. I feel bad for her, because it's not uncommon for a week (!) to go by without walking her. I wish there was a dog park somewhere but apparently, dogs in Pennsylvania don't need dog parks. :-/

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking about you a lot lately, and I'm so glad you're back on the wagon! I just had my third miscarriage in 8 months, and I've been thinking a little wistfully about how it must be nice to not even worry about miscarriages. I was so frustrated with my doctor's office after the last miscarriage that I haven't even made an appointment for more tests, such as to find out if I have a blood clotting problem. I know, very mature of me, but after my second miscarriage an OBGYN told me, after asking why I'd had two miscarriages after not having a history of having an issue, that I was "just unlucky". As if that's an official diagnosis. Ugh. I can't even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlucky? Who frickin says that?! Ugh. And I'm so sorry for your losses - miscarriages suck balls.

      And I totally understand about having your moment and not calling the doctor - I would have done the same thing. I rebel by not taking my pills the second I don't absolutely have to. They want me to take pre-natals right now, even though I'm not pregnant and even though I know it would be beneficial, I just can't bring myself to start popping pills again.

      Delete
  6. I've been on the infertility baby train--including IVF--and let me tell you I am so glad I don't have to go there again. I really wish you the best in getting and staying pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there, done that. My kids are 4 years apart and it wasn't on purpose. Take the vitamins, I swear having all your nutrients can only help. And do something to relax, both times I got preggers with "keepers" were after I had "given up" on trying at all. I had even contacted an adoption agency. It's not fair. I also have friends who get pregnant when the wind blows. Not even going to get into all you successful breastfeeders.... It'll happen...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The receptionists are really something and kudos to you for getting in her bid'ness.

    I had to cancel my ob/gyn appointment last week because aunt flow crept up early... well, she told me my doctor had no more appointments until August so I was like, Dannnng. And I swore under my breath and said something about Aunt Flo... she goes, "wellll, in that case, how's April 2nd?" WTF.

    Anywho, I look forward to reading these posts. Don't get me wrong play area fun is interesting but these posts are how I grew to love ole Desi and Drew.

    I hope you get the positive stick soon, love. You guys deserve nothing but happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you. no one can be a better advocate for you than you! good luck, praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uggggg! I hate that anyone ever has to get on this ride, and I am so sorry that you are on it now! Hoping you are able to get off soon, and with a new little one in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking of you. I know it is not advice you need but just thoughts and knowing that we care about your ride on the baby train.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't tell you what to do (take the vitamins!) but I do know a couple of things. Reading your experience while I was pregnant and scared to death was such a comfort to me. And second, you are very, very determined and seem to have success in what you want. I see baby# 2. Rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin