Friday, June 21, 2013

Resolution and peace

You guys are amazing.  Once again, you've come through for me and I thank you so very much.  I feel so much better after reading your comments and you have all given me such wonderful suggestions.  I love you people.

First:  I'm going on a letter-writing campaign.  I really don't know why it never occurred to me before; because um, DUH, I write.  It's kinda my thing.  But I never thought to write some letters and get some stuff off my chest, and that's what I'm going to do first.  Some I'll actually send, like the one to my dad.  He may not read it, and I'm near positive he won't respond.  Even if he did, it would be nothing but bullshit; but I need to write it for me.  I need to speak my piece, have my closure and move on.   Some letters I'll probably just write and rip up.  I don't trust myself to burn them when I'm done.  I'll fuck around and singe my eyebrows off or burn my house down.  

One commenter suggested I write a letter to my teenage self (big hugs Alisa! Thank you!) and the thought nearly brought me to tears.  My God, what I would say to that poor awkward HAIRY little girl.  For real y'all - I have more hair than the average girl should have and do you know how much it SUCKED not to know enough to keep that shit in check?  How much it hurt?  How unheard and devalued I felt when I went to my mom about it and she dismissed me, saying I was just fine?  For God's sake, I had a unibrow, a mustache and more hair on my arms and legs than I knew what to do with!  And I went to Catholic school where we had to wear skirts all the time!  And I was just coming into puberty and getting interested in boys and FAHCK, kids are mean on the playground!  I was already one of only three non-white kids in the entire school and THEN I was hairy too?!  AND THEN my mom didn't seem to care?  That shit sucked.  Clear as day, I remember begging and begging my mom to shave my legs and she kept saying no until finally one day she gave in.  She took me into the bathroom and had me fill the sink with water, handed me the shaving cream and a razor and said "Ok, go."  I still remember holding that razor blade and being absolutely terrified that I was going to slice my leg open and bleed to death because I didn't have the first clue what I was doing.  I still remember that look of 'you want to do this so bad, so go ahead already what are you waiting for.'  But I didn't know what I was doing!  I just didn't want to be hairy anymore!

That's what scares me so much about being a parent.  You never know what's going to stick in your kid's head, what memory is going to stand out among the others, which of the 10,000 moments is the teaching moment.  I mean, shaving your legs for the first time is a pretty big one, along with getting your period (another not-so-great memory), but what about some other one?  Some random Tuesday that I wasn't the best mom I could have been and that's what Sofia remembers when she's 37 years old?

So among the other stuff, I plan to tell my 13-year old self "That totally sucked and I'm so very sorry." I also plan to apologize for a whole shit-ton of other stuff because kids should feel safe in their homes.  They should feel valued and respected and it's not normal when that doesn't happen.  

I also plan to write a letter to Sofia.  I always thought it was cheesy and dumb to write letters to your kids but for the first time, it didn't sound so bad to me.  

The first thing I'm going to tell Sofia?  Baby girl, we will get you lasered.  Don't you even worry about all that.  If I have to sell a kidney, you won't get teased for being hairy.  Mark my words.

I'm going to tell her some other stuff too, but that one's important.

My writing juices are flowing again and hopefully I'll get the chance to get it all out.  Just not right now, because I sat down to write this when Sofia went down for a nap and she just woke up.  And good LORD that's another one that needs to get written.

I have the most amazing child on the planet.  She's smart, funny, gorgeous and I love her to smithereens but FFFFFAAAAAAAHHHHHHCCCCCKKK this kid won't sleep!  I have tried everything under the sun and she just won't sleep and it's killing me.  You talk about not being a stellar parent - there have definitely been times that I have clenched-teeth, death-whispered Little Kid if you don't go to sleep right this mother effing second...

I have to figure something out before I can no longer function.  Okay, she's losing her shit.  Gotta go.

But thanks again for sticking with me, you guys.  You're the best.

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Hey, I have a non-sleeping kid too! I was PISSED last night about it too. I usually keep my cool pretty well and let him do what he needs to do (nurse fooooorrrrrever), but I just wasn't wanting to do that last night. I just wanted him to go to sleep. Ugh.

    Sounds like we had similar childhood experiences, though I didn't happen to be very hairy. :) I like to think, though, that with my crappy family life, I'm better equipped for my son. Like when my son comes to me and says, Mom, this thing bothers me, I'll listen to his concerns and do what I can to help him. Because you know what? Growing up sucks ass. Other kids are mean, your hormones are out of whack, and you're just trying to figure out who you are. If there's anything I can do to help my child, I will. That doesn't mean I'll try to make his life super easy; I won't. The ups and downs of growing up help shape who we are. But getting rid of unnecessary hair? That seems like an easy fix. Helping a kid with bad acne? That seems like a no brainer.

    I really do think that those of us who had bad childhoods and are as self-aware as you and I make really fantastic parents. We've seen it done wrong and know that we want to do it right. We're self-reflective and know when to admit we were wrong. Call me biased, but I think we make the best parents in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I worry about that all the time...what if THIS is what she will remember when she gets older?! It gives me anxiety like for real. But I glad you aren't going anywhere. I really love reading your blog. Big hug. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This right here:

    I have the most amazing child on the planet. She's smart, funny, gorgeous and I love her to smithereens but FFFFFAAAAAAAHHHHHHCCCCCKKK this kid won't sleep

    HAD ME SNORTING OUT LOUD AT WORK. LMBO. I love it.

    My child has the attitude of a grown woman. #tagyoureit

    I'm glad you are going a letter writing campaign, I guarantee you'll feel better after.

    P.S. You can say that again about mean bastard kids... I'm going to be so pro-Zoe (because of what I went through) when she's of school age, that I'll probably be stalker like and end up over protecting her and she won't know how to defend herself because I do it for her-

    ok. I hope not.

    but I completely understand where you are coming from with fears of a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad my suggestion was helpful!! I wouldn't write anti to the teenage me. She was spoiled and obnoxious and I don't like her very much. Actually, I didn't like her until she was about 27. Lol! So I'll just let that one ride....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *anything... Not anti. At least the teenage me could spell. :-(

      Delete
  5. I do like the idea of writing letters to my kids. I mean, I blog about them a lot but I like writing a real-live letter just to them. Maybe I should do this once a year/month/whatever with what's going on, how I'm feeling (real stuff, not just the sappy bits), what they're up to.

    So sorry about the sleep. Inga went through lots of changes recently that started with her climbing out of her crib. Then it evolved into climbing out + escaping multiple times a night = 3 hours less sleep every night --> cranky cranky girl. We finally put a little latch on the outside of her door to essentially lock her in. It took several days for her to adjust to this (lots and lots of crying). Going in didn't help at all; in fact, it made it worse. Now she's adjusted and goes down okay most nights. But yeah, it's tough. Honestly I feel like I have no idea what to do with sleep issues even after 4 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Desiree, we love you so much. I look forward to your every post and your growth from 2008 has been inspiring. And I totally support this letter writing idea because you're right. ALL PEOPLE DESERVE TO FEEL SAFE IN THEIR BODIES. I support you so much and the very best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear that you're back on track! I think writing letters is a great idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just died at writing Sofia about future lasering. But THANK YOU for this idea! I haven't been too interested in scrapbooking or baby booking for some reason, but I've been noting all her little milestones and quirks that she has. I'm going to write her a beautiful letter on her birthday every year on beautiful stationary! Yes!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay strong! It still takes my oldest over an hour to fall asleep at night. But when she was 2 1/2, we finally got her to the point where she will stay in the bed on her own until she falls asleep.

    I was SO nervous that my baby girl would be the same way, but thank God, she goes right to sleep on cue.

    Every kid is different, but she *will* eventually settle into a night time routine. Have y'all tried blackout curtains, noise machines, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  10. If Sophia is hairy... please consider seeing a Pediatric Endrocologist. Your issue with the mustach, etc could have been due to hormones, and even a sign to your reproductive issues now, etc...... : ) - PS - I am NOT A DOCTOR... just a reader making note and this is NOT medical advice or intervension, etc. just an observation.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin