Monday, June 24, 2013

My kid won't sleep, Vol. 46802

Just a few minutes ago, I was listening to the heart-wrenching sounds of my daughter screaming her face off "Wanna see Mommy!  Wanna see Mommy!"  It killed me to hear it, but we're at the end of our rope.

Two years.  Two years now, and Sofia still isn't sleeping consistently.  That's not to say she's never slept through the night or taken good naps because she's done both.  We just haven't stumbled on any magic formula or routine that will yield consistent results.

She's no longer teething, she's fully weaned, there haven't been any major growth spurts, nothing to point to that would say 'well *there's* your problem!'  It's always been hit or miss and I've begun to think that parents who say their children sleep 12 hours every single night or take two and three hour naps every day are dirty rotten lying liars.
This is a big fat lie.  A LIE I tell you.

So, we're at the last resort:  Once again, I'm calling in the big guns.  This time, Daddy is going in from start to finish.  I'm completely out of the picture because we're thinking that Sofia is so attached to me that she doesn't want to be away from me even to sleep.  I can respect that - I mean, she's my homie.  We do everything together and save the four hours a week that she's at her 'school', we're never apart.  I put her to bed every night and now that we're not nursing, we just cuddle up in her armchair and I sing to her until she falls asleep.  I tried the 'putting her down drowsy' thing and she loudly let me know that was not at all acceptable.  So I sing until she's completely out.  It's just that the child can be dead asleep in my arms, snoring, but the second I ever so gently get up from the chair and try to lay her in her crib, she's wide awake whimpering "Lay down together Mommy."  If I don't return to the armchair or lay down with her, the whimpering turns to wide-awake hysterics.  It takes nearly two hours to get her to sleep at night.  EVERY NIGHT.  And after two years, It's time for a change.

I have always been heartily against crying it out and I'm still not prepared to do it now.  However, it's not because of the whole 'you're scarring your kid for life' thing.  It's because it doesn't work long term - at least according to my logic.  

Say you bite the bullet and let the kid cry it out for a few days.  Eventually they give up/get the hang of it and go to sleep with no problems.  That's great, until something happens that throws them off - travel, illness, growth, etc.  Once you get back from your trip, what are you supposed to do?  Make them cry it out again?  And then again when they're sick and they've gotten better?  I mean, I'd be all for crying it out if it was a one-time, few-days type of thing and the kid is 'cured.' But it doesn't work that way (at least for my kid) and I just can't rationalize all that freaking out - me *and* Sofia.

So we tried co-sleeping, thinking maybe she's just going through a clingy phase.  Plus, let's be honest - I'm tired, and sitting in the chair snuggling with her and falling asleep upright is not the the business.  We're not against co-sleeping, but we are against getting kicked in the face all night long, because Sofia likes her space.  
 Sofia's favorite is a combination of the Roundhouse Kick and the H is for Hell.  
She would kindly alternate kicking and headbutting us.  
ALL NIGHT LONG.

Co-sleeping wasn't working and laying in her bed with her wasn't doing it either.  Good thing I'm still somewhat limber from yoga because I have to bend myself all kind of ways to cram myself into her bed with her, and then channel my inner ninja to get out of the bed when she finally falls asleep.  Two hours later.  It all sucked, and I just couldn't do it anymore.

That leaves us with Daddy.  Daddy who has never ever put her to bed - he's the relief pitcher who comes in when I'm at the end of my rope and Sofia is physically too exhausted to fight anymore.  Daddy, who gives the good-night kiss and leaves Mommy and Sofia to snuggle in the chair, which in Sofia's world is just as it should be.  So you can imagine the screams that came out of her poor little body when I kissed her and told her I'd see her in the morning.  She screamed like the world was going to end.  And she kept on screaming, getting louder and more hysterical.  

Drew was not prepared.  As I said, he's never ever put her to bed before and there is no way to steel yourself against the wrath of a sleepy toddler with separation anxiety whose routine has just been changed.  But here's the kicker:  20 minutes.  It took her 20 minutes before he walked out of her room, looking like he'd come through a war, but the child was asleep.  

Now I know it probably felt like two hours to him and I know she probably pushed him away and that probably hurt his feelings, but he did it.  He put her to sleep from start to finish in 20 minutes.  That is a beautiful thing.  Now all we have to do is stick with it.  They say it takes at least a week to establish and enforce a routine, so for the rest of this week Drew will put her to sleep from start to finish.  I pray that it will get easier and it will be less violent, because something has to give.  We all need sleep in this house:  The growing toddler, the working father, the mom who has to be 'on' 24-7.  There's a reason sleep deprivation is a torture device.

So cross your fingers for our little family and let's hope that Sofia gets it all sorted out sooner rather than later.  
It's so hard to be a baby.
Do you remember that song?  Just me?  
That video is a TRIP.
I swear, I'm the only one who remembers ridiculous things like this
but can't remember where I put my keys.

Photobucket

26 comments:

  1. Hi Desiree,
    May I recommend this book? http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Up-B%C3%A9b%C3%A9-Discovers-Parenting/dp/1594203334
    As a French person who has two kids who have been sleeping through the night since they were 4 months old, what you are saying here is just plain CRAZY. And I don't mean that in a direspectful way. I really think you are a wonderful mother but it seems obvious that Sofia is running the show and you're not, which to me should be the other way around.
    I just finished reading this book, written by an American woman living in Paris, and even though I'm French and a lot of what she expresses is already embedded in me, I feel that it has empowered me in some way. I'm sure it could help you. Just my 2 cents. I love your blog and the way you write! Helen (again, ignore this Zoé name)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that book and one day when I get more than a couple of minutes free time, I'm going to read it.

      And believe me, no offense is taken because I know this situation is insane. We certainly didn't intend for this outcome when she was a baby, and I would definitely do things differently if I had it to do over again. Live and learn, right? Because yes, she is running things and that needs to change toute suite!

      Delete
  2. Hi!! Man, I know your PAIN! My daughter literally didn't sleep either from day one. I was a walking zombie the first year. The second year got better but going to bed took 2 hours too. Between the rocking chair cuddle, and putting her down for her only to wake up again and have to restart. I am not exactly sure what changed, but I did do the let her cry it out. It was hard. I will not lie. I am a single mom so I didn't have the backup so it was hard to hear her cry. But honestly... every night got easier. ANd by the 5th night, it was a quick 10 minute rock and then she was out. And sleeping until 7am. Then every night after that I would lesson the rock time by 3 minutes. Not a lot, but enough. ANd by the next week we were down to no rocking and straight to bed. I did notice though that it wasn't until she was 2 1/2 that this worked. I tried it before but it just never stuck with her. She's 4 now and some nights getting her to bed is more of a challenge because she's older and knows how to push the 'just 5 more minutes' but once shes in there she stays asleep. ... Sorry for the long comment but honestly.. it does get better!!! Its hard in the beginning but it WILL get better! Chin up! :)

    xo, Nicole
    www.littlepurpleroom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you're right and it does get easier with each passing day because I'm listening to her cry and Day 2 doesn't sound much better than Day 1. And I'm dreading Drew's next business trip because I'm so afraid it'll put us back at square one.

      I keep telling myself that she'll sleep consistently at SOME point, we just have to hang on. Clenched fists, gritted teeth and all!

      Delete
  3. We had different problems, but DH was the trick too. He can put DD back to sleep when she wakes at night like I can't. We also let him do it for a while to "reset" things and then I started taking over again. She was used to DH doing it but when I did the same thing she was upset at first. It took a few nights of me being consistent (in not picking her up when she cried but soothing her while she stayed in bed) before it worked. DH stepped in if she was really freaking out and it sure was stressful during the transition, but worth it.

    Not that all our sleep problems are solved, we just have different ones now. ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, letting DD (about Sofia's age) cry it out is a no-go for us. I don't really get the logistics of doing it with an older child that gets out of their bed and stuff. DD just takes off her pyjamas and diaper when she is unsupervised (and especially when she is mad) which is not so awesome for her bedding or carpet...

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean! Now that Sofia's in her toddler bed, it won't work to simply leave her in her room alone. She's not a destructive child and so far she'll just get out of bed and go to her armchair and cry, but I'm not willing to take the chance...

      Delete
  4. For what it's worth, having Drew in there with Sophia isn't CIO. You've got a loving parent in with a child, and if said child is losing their shit? Well, they're not doing it alone, and someone is there if and when the child wants comfort.

    If you've reached the end of your rope, this seems like the best solution ever. In fact, it seems like the best solution even if you haven't reached the end of your rope. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to lie, having that time during the evening is a welcome change - even if my background 'music' is my daughter crying. :-(

      Delete
  5. We let Stells cry a bit around 8-9 months (NOT CIO - I couldn't handle that), but honestly - I realized how quickly I was jumping up and swooping her up instead of giving her a chance to settle herself. FWIW - even with traveling, etc - she didn't regress much, and as soon as she was back in her own bed had no prob putting herself to sleep again.

    Now that she's a toddler, the bedtime routine was extending b/c of books and such ("Rock Mama, PLEAALASE!", and it was starting to get ridiculous. When I got pregnant, I was just too wiped out to do it - and when Daddy took over, he put her in her PJs, read her a couple of books, laid her down and told her he loved her, and walked out. BAM. Done. She was pissed for about 5 minutes and then OUT for the next 11 hrs. It was amazeballs - no joke. Now that's her routine, and it is SOOOO much easier. Kids learn what they can get away with, and sometimes the other parent just needs to step in and retrain them on what the routine is going to be! I Hope you guys start getting more sleep and down time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that turns out to be the case with us. Hopefully I'll eventually have another kid and I NEED her to be sleeping consistently before then!

      Delete
  6. Oh man. I'm not looking forward to this! EEK! Hopefully the new routine sticks! You can do it Drew! :) And Miss Desiree - you can do it too! Hold strong! As for Sofia... go to sleep young lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Drew needs all the encouragement he can get right now! Talk about being thrown into the fire!

      Delete
  7. our guy didn't sleep until he was 2.5 and we realized he was allergic to milk! (I typed a much longer comment, but for some reason when I pressed publish it dissapeared).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hate it when that happens! :-(

      She doesn't have any allergies (knock on wood), but she doesn't eat much. I worry about her going to bed hungry so I'm constantly trying to get her to eat before bed. Of course, it's backfired on me and she wants to eat after she's brushed her teeth, so there's that... If it's not one thing, it's another!

      Delete
  8. Girl, it's similar with us. Hours to go to sleep with me, then at the very least stirring or 1 wake up during the night. He puts her to sleep in less than an hour and she STAYS asleep the entire night. Bull. Sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that. Although, we're going on half an hour right now and she's still up and crying with him in there. Man, I'm hoping this gets easier...

      Delete
  9. Just curious....are you trying to put her to sleep at the same time every night? I used to do that because I read everywhere that kids need consistency but that didn't work for us. I started following Izabella's lead and watching for physical signs of exhaustion before initiating the bedtime routine. Once I followed her lead, putting her to sleep was easy. If you are trying to put her to sleep before she is physically tired then there may be lots of resistance regardless of who is putting her down. Not all kids fall asleep at 8 on the dot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, a full tummy has helped which I saw you mentioned before even if it's after brushing teeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sleep positions picture is heeeal-larious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well since it was mostly just Jas and I those 1st 2 years it was just me doing bedtimes and naps. I can say I'm blessed with a child who didn't cry much during bedtimes but it was also because we were in the same room. When it was time for her to go to bed, I would tuck her in and kiss her and I would leave the room. She was whine a few minutes but once she figured out I wasn't coming back she took her tail to sleep.

    When daddy was home she wouldn't even whine when he did the same thing, she just went to bed. Its something about daddies that works wonders on the babies.

    I just think being consistent is key. Baby needs to know she's not the boss of you ( even tho I'm sure she is lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me just say that even if you do have a good sleeper, which my daughter is and always has been MOST of the time, they still go through phases where they are just little maniacs. I thought of you last night, at 2AM when my 2yr old was crying for me to pick her up and go to "mami bed, mami bed!!" I've made the mistake when she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't get herself back down to just bring her to my bed for the sake of getting some, albeit shi**y sleep. Last night I cut the cord and said "no, you sleep in your bed, mommy will sit". And sit I did, for an hour in the glider, before she was FULLY asleep and then I army crawled across her room to escape back to my bed. And I think we ALL slept better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let me know how Drew putting her to bed works out because Zoe is the same exact way. I think our problem is opposite, I began as a stay at home mom but returned by to work so I feel as if she misses time with me so she won't get out of our bed. And she's all over the bed. I do not get a good night's sleep because she sleep crawls. I wake up periodically in the middle of the night and find her laying all over the bed. She loves the H is for Hell over my stomach and J's back.

    I was so uncomfortable Tuesday that I woke up at 2 a.m. and tried to put her in the bed, she jolted awake like I slapped her and said, "no, no, no," just as I was laying her in the bed.

    She is the direct opposite at my mom's (mom watches her while we are at work). Zoe is a completely different kid there- she is independent, she sleeps by herself, everything. WTF.

    Ok, now that I wrote you a mini blog, I said all this to say, I feel your pain. And I also need a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried it ALL. Every book, every method, every last piece of advice given to be my every human who'd tell me their tale. In the end, kids have their own bell curves for when they can do things independently, and sometimes, all the best parenting in the world won't change it. Good news: non-sleepers tend to be very bright children. Bad news: My daughter slept through the night for the first time at the age of 5, and not until we broke down and gave her melatonin. She was 5...I was dying, we had to do it. It took about a year, maybe less, to get her into a rhythm, and she's slept through the night for 3 years now, with nothing but a kiss and a hug. Looking back, I thought I'd never make it, but Lordy, is she worth it. So smart, so inventive, so creative. I write to say I wish you rest, strength, and all the luck in the world. You are not alone.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin