Thursday, September 5, 2013

I have a sister

Yeah, we've been home for almost two weeks and I still haven't done a vacation recap.  I also didn't unpack and do vacation laundry for a week and a half after we got home, so this is about right.  But it's important recap because important things happened while we were on vacation, like I almost died.  But that'll be the next post because otherwise, this one will get crazy long.

But the other stuff first.  Namely, my kid is pretty much almost sorta kinda able to swim and let me tell you, the difference is night and day.  Before, she was so wary of the water that I'd have to hold her nearly the whole time we would be in the pool and that got so old so fast.  Now, we can be in the pool alongside each other and it's so much more enjoyable.  To you, there may not be much to see in these videos, but to see Sofia jumping in the pool by herself and dog-paddling her way around the pool makes me so ridiculously proud of her that I pretty much have to show you.

So here's my kid, sorta kinda almost swimming and it's the cutest thing in the world.  And if I knew anything about making movies on my laptop there would only be one movie instead of two; my apologies.


We were gone for two weeks and we spent the first week in Charlotte with Nate and Julie.  You remember them, right?  Drew's brother and his wife? They're Sofia's godparents too?  We went to their swankalicious wedding?  Well, we got to hang out with them and they turned us on the to The Discovery Place and we spent an awesome afternoon there and Nate and Julie solidified their spots as Coolest Auntie and Uncle Ever.
They played at the giant water table.
They shopped at the grocery store.
We even talked about how pastured eggs are always better and more humane
than eggs that come from sad mistreated chickens.
We even had time for a quick stop at the bank.

But soon enough, it was time to pack up the car with all of our ten thousand things and head on down to the beach.
No seriously, we brought everything.

Our villa in Hilton Head was amazing.  It was actually bigger than our house, which was a major treat.  Drew and I could be in the bathroom together!  At the same time!  And not risk an elbow to the eye!
Such nice digs!
I was wary of the full size kitchen and the full-size washer and dryer that was in the villa
because cooking and doing laundry was NOT my idea of vacation.
Thankfully, Drew did all of the laundry and most of the cooking so it felt like
I wasn't actually on duty.
Why am I always pregnant when we have a jacuzzi tub?
One of these days I'm going to get to use one of those things.

We made short work of unpacking and high-tailed it down to the pool, where we spent most of our time because Sofia wanted nothing to do with the beach and she was too young for all of the activities at the resort.
This was the first day, within a few hours of our arrival.  Shortly after this shot,
Sofia looked at us and said "Okay, let's go to the pool now."
Also, going to the pool requires a minimum of three bags.

It was a really great vacation; Drew didn't have to do any work whatsoever.  I think he answered an email or two but he didn't have to take any work calls once we got there and let me tell you, that's as rare as a unicorn sighting so I was super grateful.

I also met my sister.

We met with her and her husband for dinner one night and I don't think I've ever been more nervous.  I wanted to vomit and cancel and run and hide, but I made it through.  We arrived at the restaurant before they did and so we saw them walking up.  I immediately knew it was her; she has my dad's nose.  So do I.  *We* have *our* dad's nose.  I only had a quick second to pray that I wouldn't say anything stupid before they got to the table and that was it, no turning back now.

They sat down and thank God for Drew because he's good at this sort of thing and just jumped right in, doing what he does and breaking the ice.  I felt more comfortable and found myself loosening up.  Also, thank God for Sofia because it's super easy to talk about my kid and she started asking me all about her and that served to put me even more at ease.  Before I knew it, we were chatting like we were good friends.

She and her husband are really good people, you can just feel it.  They've been married for 25 years, they enjoy each other and they seem happy with life.  We did talk about our dad, but not as much as you'd think; this wasn't about him and how much he sucks (even though he does.)  This was about us getting to know each other.  It was about us finding our way in a new relationship and I'm so pleased to say that by the end of dinner I didn't even want to vomit anymore!  Wanna know something super crazy?  We have some of the same mannerisms!  How weird is that?!  I said something and gestured somehow Kenny (her husband) did a for-real double take and was like "Lord if that isn't Donna just now!"  She laughed and was like "I know!  I do the same thing!"  Is something like that even possible?

We finished dinner with the promise that we'd get together one more time before they left and we gave them a ride to their car.
 And now, for the perfectly awful picture courtesy of the valet.
I mean, I know it was nighttime and the flash makes everything ugly, but still.
The next night, they came to our hotel to hang out with us and we FaceTimed with
her kids.  I mean, my niece and nephew.  They were super polite and friendly and 
they were so sweet with Sofia, which made them a-ok in my book.

I wasn't sure how process the knowledge that I had a sister and that she's known about me for years and years and I've only known about her for just a couple of months.  However, she is so nice and her husband is just one of those guys you want to have a beer with, that you really can't help but feel at ease with them.  They were both so easy to talk to and I found myself relaxing more and more around them.  

We've already spoken a couple of times over the phone and she has even offered to come up and help when the new baby gets here.  My mouth fell open on that one, but she was serious and who knows, I may take her up on it.

I don't know how our relationship will develop over time, but I do know that I'm glad that I didn't cancel dinner, and I'm really glad we finally met.  She is an amazingly sweet person with a really good heart and I could use more people like that in my life.

I'm thinking it's a pretty cool bonus that she's also my sister.  Huh.  Who'da thunk it?  Me, with a sister.

How 'bout that.....

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. What a great outcome with your sister so far! That's really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's awesome. I hope you continue to explore your relationship with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything went well with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why but this post made me tear up. I can just feel from the photos that they're good people. I hope you two can foster this relationship and it will be an unexpected blessing in your life. ;) You look beautiful in the photos, lady. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me SOOOO happy for you! I've been waiting and waiting to hear how it went, and I was hoping you'd get along! I'm so excited to see where this goes for you and her! Eek!

    As for the trip, it sounds heavenly! I'm glad that you got your family time that you needed and wanted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Katie! This post made me tear up for real. Maybe because I have a sister and I KNOW how special that relationship can be. I hope that you develop a sister-friendship that works for you and this unique situation. Good things can happen...and I believe that good things WILL happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sofia is adorable. Sheesh!! I'm glad your vacation was restful. HOLY LUGGAGE, you packed a lot!! Lol. I'm like that. I am terrified that I might forget something, and it's not like there are stores where I can buy whatever I forgot. It needs to come from MY HOUSE or it's not the same. Lol!! It's a great thing that you and your sister clicked and you like her. I really hope you grow closer to her as the time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post made me cry. And of course she's fabulous. :) They even look nice! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this update, gave me goosebumps. I'm so glad your sister is a wonderful person and that you seemed to hit it off. Sofia gets another auntie, how great! Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, for swimming! It sounds like you had a wonderful time with family, new and old. Drew, I’m proud that you had a no-work vacation; they’re so hard to do! It’s amazing that the part with your sister went so well. Sofia looks like she accepted them with open arms and I love that you two have the same mannerisms.
    I love when people offer to help with the baby or babysit. I always say don’t say it unless you mean it! lol
    Now, about that time you almost died…

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post just warms my heart and makes me smile. I'm so glad your meeting with your sister went well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm tearing up at how happy I am that your meeting with your sister went so well!!!! I'm so glad - and thanks for sharing the pictures. I hope your relationship continues to grow and evolve. Congrats on the added family - i'm so glad it worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the bits about your sister. So awesome! I can't imagine life without mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take a few days off reading my fave blog and ya done gone and met your sister. I think you both are incredible brave considering all of this. I am so glad that you gave yourself the opportunity to met your sister and I pray you continue to have a fulfilling relationship. Ain't gone lie super happy you got a sister and alone that seems like a good sister at that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful encounter - so glad it all went so well! Congrats on meeting your sister & hopefully starting what is to be a wonderful addition to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boo, the videos say private when I try to watch them. Weird.

    I'm so glad the meet-up went well. Sounds like it'll be nice to have more family in your life! Also, what a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so happy for you.(I have chills)... this couldn't have gone better. I could just hug ya girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading this post warmed my heart. Happy to hear you met your sister and all went well. I can *slightly* relate: found out last year (apparently everyone knew but me) that my grandfather has a daughter - my aunt - who is 4/5 years younger than me (I'm 27, she's 22). My sis and I have been in touch with her and we're hoping for an in-person cross-continental meeting next year. She's fam now and that's how we rock; cheers to expanding families with good-hearted people!

    And yes indeed, cheers to Sofia having another loving aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We just got back from Destin! OF COURSE WE DID....because we're twins, you and I. Eff that other girl - I'm your real sister. (that's the wine talking!)

    Yes, beach and pool seem to require 3+ bags....every time. But it's worth it!

    Also, I secretly know that the shirtless pic of my internet husband was posted simply for me, but I'll allow it to be shared with the world! :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin