Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Babies and quarantine

Let's switch gears for a moment and talk babies, shall we?

New Baby will be here sometime in February.  I'm due on the 22nd, but I was induced four days before my due date with Sofia, so I'm thinking I'll probably go early with this one too.  The 22nd is three months and two days away and um, holy crap.  This pregnancy has flown by and I can't believe that we're already here.
It also feels like I got big overnight.
I can still wear some of my regular shirts
but I can't wear anything but maternity pants.
I've even busted into Drew's closet because I'm really 
trying not to buy any more maternity clothes.

But I'm getting off track; I learned something absolutely fascinating and I wanted to share it with you.  I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and came across this article.  Talking about auras is a little hippie-dippy for me, but the concept of the article resonated with me so loudly, that I just had to write it all out.

Before Sofia was born, I wrote this post about how I felt myself changing in preparation to be a mother, how I felt my protective instincts growing and getting stronger.  In the days leading up to Sofia's birth, I was nothing but a ball of emotions.  I couldn't name most of them, I didn't know where they came from and I couldn't do anything but feel them, which usually meant a lot of crying.  When I think about that time, it's really a wonder any of us made it through.  The miscarriages really rocked us, Drew and I were frighteningly horrible at communicating (we've since gotten slightly better) and we didn't/couldn't understand each other and neither of us was in a place where we wanted to learn.  

I'm happy to report that with this pregnancy we are worlds away from that place.  I'm nowhere near as hormonal, the physical changes aren't as dramatic and aside from the injections (which actually suck worse this time), I'd say I've gotten a small glimpse of what 'normal pregnancy' looks like.  And even though it's morbid to say, having miscarriages isn't the earth-shattering life-devastating thing it once was.  It still hurts like hell but we have been able to be sad while picking ourselves up and getting on with our lives.  Drew and I have gotten better at communicating and there haven't been nearly as many fights or tears or tension.  Now that I think about it, I'm actually pretty proud of us!

That's not to say we haven't had disagreements and to illustrate our biggest one, allow me to tell you a story...

When Sofia was born, both sets of parents came to Dallas to be with us.  This was their first grandbaby so of course they were going to be there.  However, that was in direct conflict with all my postpartum emotions and desires.  Namely, I wanted nothing more than to cocoon in my bed with my newborn, nurse her, smell her, bond with her and I had no interest in anything else.  As you can imagine, this was awkward for everyone else because they wanted to see and hold the baby too and they thought I was keeping her away intentionally.  At the time, I didn't have the words to explain that I was following my primal instincts and my instincts said not to let go of my baby for even a second.

Because I didn't have the words and couldn't articulate my feelings I found myself handing over my brand new baby because "it's important to get out of the house, even for a little bit."  Drew and I went to the pharmacy, and I cried the entire time, fighting off super intense feelings of anxiety and an overwhelming desire to get back to my baby.  We were gone less than twenty minutes but felt like days and I remember busting through the door wanting nothing more than to put my baby back in my arms, where I needed her.  Where she belonged.

When she was six days old, we took a trip out to the bluebonnets to take pictures.
I didn't want to be there, but I couldn't put my finger on the reason why.

*I don't think even Drew knows this part.*  
There was a street festival in the town near the bluebonnet fields and Drew and I and his parents walked around, in the name of getting out and stretching our legs.  At six days post-partum I was still bleeding but it wasn't so heavy that I couldn't get around - or so I thought.  I had to change my pad at someone's house near the blubonnet field but I thought that was the end of it.

At the festival I had to take yet another bathroom break, and changing your heavy duty post partum maxipad in a port-a-potty is no picnic.  I was doing my best to hover over the disgusting seat when the most giant clot of all clots slid out of my body.  It was such a shocking and disturbing feeling that I actually let out a little scream in the port-a-potty.  A few more clots slid out and I did my best to clean up and put on a new pad and a happy face at having to deal with this outside the comfort of my own home.

That experience is burned into my mind and I have no desire to repeat it.  Therefore, I plan to keep my ass at home as much as possible and get rid of all giant clots in my own bathroom like a normal person.

In the Facebook comments of that article, several women noted that 'laying-in' after the birth of a child is an actual thing and several Latin women mentioned that their mothers and grandmothers would insist that they do la cuarentena, which means 'quarantine.'  Apparently, there's a whole bunch of things you're not supposed to do in the 40 days immediately following your child's birth.  If I don't shower or wash my hair it won't be on purpose but I'll definitely wrap my belly like I did last time.  For me, it helped a ton with feeling supported around my midsection and I think it helped flush out all the extra fluids too.

Between that and the other article, I started nodding my head and jabbing at my computer, talking to no one. "See!  This is a thing!  It's real!  I'm not crazy!  See!  I wasn't being rude!  It's normal and right to hole up with your newborn baby!  You're not supposed to be more than nine feet away from your new baby!  I'm not crazy for hovering when other people held her!  I'm normal!  See!  See?!"

Now, even though this feeling has cultural roots I didn't do it because of that, I did it because my gut told me to.  On the other hand, Drew comes from a very strong 'pass the baby' background, where you hand over present the new baby to the new grandparents, the new aunts and uncles and everyone's else's time with the new baby is just as important as the new mother's time.  I say nobody's time is as important as the new mother's and that was the cause of fights then, and it was the cause of disagreements now.

It's a hard line to walk:  Honor your husband vs. honor your postpartum self and your newborn baby.  I still firmly believe that the mother AND FATHER and child should be the most important people in the equation and everyone else should just wait their turn.  And I will NOT be leaving my house for as long as humanly possible this time.  I'm not trying to throw monster clots in the middle of the grocery store or a damn port-a-potty for God's sake.  

PLUS, my baby will be born in February, smack in the middle of flu season.  Last January, we all got the norovirus and last April Sofia was hospitalized with the rotavirus.  As far as I'm concerned that's more than enough reason to quarantine our whole family.  I don't know how realistic or possible it will be, but I'm sure going to try.

Having a name for the feelings I had and am starting to have again is incredibly validating.  To know that I'm not the only person in the world who feels this way or does these things makes me feel so much less alone and I draw strength from virtually standing with the women who follow and support these practices.  It was hard to be called rude and inconsiderate when all I wanted to do was keep my newborn baby close to me, but it's different now.  My feelings have a name, they have roots in cultural history and I have more faith in following my gut instincts.  

It could be because I'm older or that this is my second child but this time I have a quiet conviction about this birth and this child.  I will hold her close, give her what she needs and the naysayers can go say their nays somewhere else.

My family will be in our cuarentena and we will welcome you with open arms when we're done.

...............................

*So, I'm really curious to know:  Did you do a 'laying-in' when your baby was born?  A cuarentena?  Something like it?  Did you want to and you weren't able?  Do you 'pass the baby?'  

*Obviously, no one way is better than the other and while I vote for quarantine, that doesn't mean that passing the baby is bad.  If that's what you do and you're happy with it, rock the hell on.  Peace.

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I love this. I cried every time I left the house for the first month - whether I had the baby with me or not! I definitely think there is a maternal instinct to hibernate after birth, whether its to protect our babes, recover, or manage our clots in the comfort of our own home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the quarantine thing for 2 weeks and then had to leave the house for a check up with my OB. I didn't intentionally set out to do the quarantine but having a newborn in the winter in the northeast, there was no way I was leaving the house with her. Maybe if I lived in a warm weather area or delivered her in the summer I would have left the house. Who knows. All I can say is I know how you feel because I didn't want to leave her or let anyone hold her. I got upset at my mom for staring at the baby while she was sleeping. I think that was a little cooky but you get my point. Do what works for you and like you said the rest can just keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, getting out and about was nice, but I also held the baby almost the ENTIRE TIME I was out of my house. I found it really helpful to have a sling/moby wrap on me at all times and just be like "NOPE, my baby, sorry." Thankfully my family really respected that I didn't want a million ppl holding her right away.

    That being said, I was throwing some MAJOR clots for awhile whenever I did too much, and then I listened to my body and stayed on my own damn couch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine found the book "The Vital Touch: How Intimate Contact with Your Baby Leads to Happier, Healthier Development" by Sharon Heller, PH.D. This is an amazing look at different cultures and how they treat their newborns and the mothers. In it Heller talks about the importance of staying home with the baby and holding her for as long as possible. There are some cultures that hardly even put the baby down, the women of the tribes all take turns carrying the baby until they can walk. Heller also describes tons of different studies that support this idea, and the idea of staying home with the baby in the first month. Holding your baby really helps with the baby's development.

    This makes so much sense to me. One of the first things I did when I got pregnant was to buy a huge book on Iyengar Yoga and Pregnancy and they also suggest the mother stay home with the baby the first six weeks. I know there are a lot of family and friends who want to see this little baby when she comes, but I'm going to try to have at least a week after the birth before we allow a lot of visitors.

    Check out the book, it is really a great read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn. Too bad you didn't find this article earlier, or you could have just told people you were due in April! You probably could still do that . . . Oops, sorry, my dates are wrong, I'm due 40 days after I thought I was.

    Anyway, I vividly remember when my baby was about a week old and some of my husband's family had come over and they just parked at my kitchen table and talked for 2 hours. After 30 minutes had passed, I stole my baby back and then proceeded to do a shit ton of housework all around them while they sat and chatted at my kitchen table. No, can I help yous, no let me do thats. Just me, doing laundry one handed, holding my baby, one week postpartum. To this day, I don't think I've ever been so pissed in my entire life. Fuck company. That's your baby and your time and they can eat a dick. Whew, you can totally tell I'm still pissed about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this right here:

    " still firmly believe that the mother AND FATHER and child should be the most important people in the equation and everyone else should just wait their turn. And I will NOT be leaving my house for as long as humanly possible this time."

    is reason enough.... I was a helicopter parent. I didn't want Zoe passed around. I rarely left her to do ANYTHING and if I did, I guarantee it was no longer than an hour and only because I didn't want her to be around a bunch of people.

    I believe that the newborn season goes so fast and it's so important for parent and child to bond so I will not be hipbumped into giving up my kid when I am not ready.... instead, they'll get an "aww, you mad?" and and eye roll. I am a firm believer that sometimes it's ok to be selfish and do what makes YOU feel better, even though society will have us thinking it's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for putting me on to this blog! This post right here was the truth! I went through all of this. People are so overbearing when it's not their child. Your selfish with your child because you carried him/her for 9 mos... If you have to go back to work, you miss out on a lot already...so is it really too hard to understand that a mom wants to bond with their child? Especially a mom that finally has their child after suffering a loss.

      Delete
  7. My husband and I seemed to do this instinctually. My husband had taken four weeks off, and it was a glorious time of JUST taking care of our newborn. People came over here or there, and I didn't mind letting them hold our son, but mostly we just held him and attended to his needs.

    I'm not sure how it'll work when we have our next child, though. My son has a lot of energy and needs to get out, play, jump around, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post. I can relate to it in so many ways! From the miscarriages, to the lack of communication with my husband afterward, and dealing with people once the baby came.

    When it isn't someone else's situation, they do not understand. You're just being "crazy", "rude" and of course, "selfish". I so needed this 2.5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww... so I haven't been checking out blogs lately and I FINALLY hopped on over to your blog! Congratulations on the baby on the way! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, and I did this to some extent. My baby did not leave the house save doctors appointments and Christmas, for the first 2 months (when she got her first shots). *I* did not leave the house save doctors appointments, Christmas, and 1 trip to the movie (that ended up being cut short because she refused to take a bottle).

    On another note, can you blog about this wrapping-your-belly thing? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin