Monday, November 25, 2013

Cloth diapers, the newborn edition *Updated*

The only reason I'm writing this post is because I want to show you this picture:
Okay, I'm done.  
I'm dead from the cuteness.

All right fine, I'm not really done.  I have stuff to talk about, namely how cute is this teeny tiny wittle bitty newborn diaper?!  

I wrote a post when we started to use cloth diapers, and another after a year had passed.
Also, because this...
Is now this.  
I will not cry, I will not cry...

We're two years into our cloth diaper journey and about to add New Baby to the mix so I thought I'd share some things I've learned along the way and hopefully it'll help.

Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again:  cloth diapers are not a big deal.  It's one extra load of laundry every few days and that's it.  I rarely touch poop, I do not put poop in my washer nor do I hold my kid over the washer and let her poop directly in it.  These are actual concerns that people have voiced to me in the past two years.  It's funny really - these are fellow moms, their kids poop too, and I know they get diaper blowouts so I'd wager they're touching poop more than I am.  Besides, my kid has puked on me while in the Ergo so I've had vomit between my boobs.  A little poop doesn't even make me blink anymore.

Now, there is a learning curve with cloth diapers that doesn't exist with disposables.  However, it's not insurmountable and getting the hang of it takes about a week and then you're right in the same boat with people using disposables.  We're all just catching poop, people.

With this being my second baby, I felt all kinds of confident about starting from birth with cloth diapers *and* I've gotten over my hang-up about buying used!  Now, I'm all about stalking Craigslist, Ebay and diaper swapping boards to buy my newborn cloth diapers, because I've also learned that unless you give to birth to a nine pound baby, you're probably better off using diapers especially sized for newborns.
Plus, they look like little softballs and that's just too cute for words.
These will fit much better than the giant BumGenius ones
and I kinda can't wait to take a picture of her in them.

When I started using cloth diapers I knew next to nothing and I still managed to make it two years with no problems.  Unfortunately, a few months ago my diapers started stinking.  They smelled so bad that they would stink *while* they were in the washing machine - you know that's a problem.  I figured it was par for the course, that Sofia's 'big girl pee' was just getting too strong and I took to washing my diapers at night because the ammonia smell was so strong it would burn my eyes.  It seriously didn't occur to me that there was a bigger issue.

I finally couldn't take it and started googling around.  I found a cloth diaper group on Facebook and that's where I learned that my diapers stunk because they weren't really getting clean.  Well DUH you might say, but I was seriously that clueless.  I thought that the detergent I was using was enough to do the trick when it probably never did and it just took that long to build up.  I bought some mainstream detergent (gasp!), I bleached my diapers (whaaat?!), but ever since I made the switch I have no more stink and really that's all I care about.

Another thing I learned is that there is such a thing as cloth diaper addiction - can you believe that?  People will pay hundreds of dollars for a 'hard to find' print.  Betcha can't say that about disposables!  Personally, I find it ludicrous to pay a crazy amount of money for something that's just going to get pooped on, but if you have to be addicted to something, I suppose diapers aren't the worst things in the world.
And I won't even lie, I'm totally jealous of 
all that awesome pretty pink.

I was practical and boring and got all gender neutral diapers in solid colors and since I am most definitely not addicted, I only bought newborn and some smaller sized diapers that should hold me over until she can fit into the BumGenius ones.  With the newborn diapers, I indulged and searched for cute prints and I was even able to snag two pink diapers.  I would love to get more girly designs but you wash diapers every few days, so if you buy more than what will get you through those few days, I feel like you're negating the cost savings.  Besides, it's kind of a drag to have all these cute diapers and have to cover them with clothes.  
So I just live vicariously through the other group members
who have such amazing diapers.  I'm just glad mine don't stink anymore - my
standards are low.

I'm also such a nerd I've also learned how to fold receiving blankets to make diapers.  I got several receiving blankets at my baby shower and they're too small to make a swaddle so I never used them.  But now!  They're gonna be diapers, baby!  I got some covers for those and I'm stupid excited to use them.  Did you know you can even use t-shirts as diapers?  I fully realize that I may be the only one who cares about this sort of thing, but I can't help it.  That's what my life has become; I get excited about diapers.  It's who I am, friends.

There you have it; I'm going to use cloth diapers from birth this time.  Those who already do are yawning with boredom but this is huge for me and I'm excited about it.  And also, one more time, cloth diapers are not that big a deal.  Try it, you might like it.  You can't deny the cuteness factor and the printed disposables don't even come close; they'll never be as cute as actual cloth.

I'm sure there are only about four of you who cloth diaper and read my blog, so to the rest of you who just gave up part of your life reading this post, you have my sincerest thanks.  I don't get excited about much these days and since I'm having another girl, I'm not buying a lot of stuff this time around, so diapers are my outlet.  

Thanks for humoring me!

Hopefully I'll be back soon with a nursery update - stick around!

***Click this link right here to get some great deals from Lauren!  She's blog reader and a fellow mom who is a cloth diaper consultant and she's got some great sales happening now and on Black Friday!  I'm talking $4 BumGenius y'all!  She wrote a blog post about it too - check it out!***

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Well, I'm one of those four, I guess! :-) But I gotta believe there are more than you realize. Cloth diapers are awesome. We are on 22 months with cloth diapers. We periodically strip ours using original Dawn dish soap in the wash cycle, rinse til water runs clear. Helps immensely. I'm jealous of all those prints too. I also went all gender neutral solids. Happy diapering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stripped with Dawn too and then I read all these horror stories about how Dawn jacked up peoples' washers and it scared me. Even though I never had issues with Dawn, I got paranoid so now I just strip with lots of washes and bleach.

      I'm just really hoping that I actually get to use the newborn ones because they're so cute!

      Delete
  2. Yay!! They're so cute!! :) I need to make a confession... I don't think I'm sticking with cloth! Bah!! I'll live vicariously through you and your adorable cloth diaper butts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloth diapers are awesome!! We do prefolds and covers- easy peasy. However, we use a diaper service so there is very little poop touching and diaper washing going on around here. Question for you, since my little guy is now a solid eating machine and his poops are...ummm...large...how do you get the poop off? Do you have a diaper sprayer or do you shake it off into the toiler or do you dunk and swish or...? Just curious :)
    www.davenportdiy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a diaper sprayer and I wouldn't do cloth without one. I spray off just about everything so my diapers are barely stained when they go in the wash, and Sofia can lay down some man poops!

      I did the dunk and swish precisely once and it was so gross I vowed never ever to do it again. And I haven't. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I was using a detergent that was "supposed" to be for cloth diapers (rhymes with Barley's Hope) and I had to hold my breath when I dumped my diaper bag into the washer and they needed an entire extra wash and rinse to get clean. I finally wised up and bought Method Free+Clear detergent and haven't had a stink since. Yay for super tiny cloth butts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I'm number 5! :D We cloth diapered DD from birth (she's about Sofia's age) and it was the easiest thing about adjusting to life with a newborn. The stitches kept poking me, breastfeeding was a bear, and I never got more than 2 hours of sleep in a row. But the diapers were easy - put on, take off, wash when there's only a few left, no problem. We went with fitteds and covers (MotherEase XS Sandys) for the newborn stage and DD managed to get poop on her clothes exactly once - can't say that with sposies!

    The only thing I'm doing for the upcoming little bean is getting some more so we can go at least a couple of full days between washings. Once she started moving around we did mostly pocket diapers. For detergent I use the "free & clear" stuff from Kirkland (Costco) and I definitely vote for a diaper sprayer after they start solids for anyone who's wondering! It's awesome and great for cleaning up poop from the potty too now that DD is potty learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I need to find some NB sized diapers as well. We'll probably use disposables the first few days (just b/c meconium poop - EW), but I hope to make the switch sooner this time. We waited 4w last time, just b/c I was little nervous about making the transition, but it really is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did cloth diapers until my son was about a year. The problem for me was that I was using pre-folds, and the poop was blowing out of the pre-fold and onto the cover, which is fine except that I needed to reuse those covers all the time so I was CONSTANTLY hand washing poop from the covers. Looking back, I wish I'd bought AIO's, but I didn't and if I make that purchase now, I'm basically negating the cost savings. And to make matters worse, I ruined a bunch of pre-fold covers because I soaked them for a while and you're not supposed to soak them (which of course I didn't find out until AFTER I'd ruined them, and it's not like I hadn't read a lot about cloth diapers!). Big fail on my part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been a reader since before Sofia was born (I think I found you through YHL?) but it takes a cloth diaper post to bring me out of the woodworks and make me comment. :) I switched to cloth when my second was born and I realized it would cost $80-100/month to put them both in disposables. No thanks. We are dealing with stink issues too so I may try your suggestions. I do prefolds and covers during the day and pockets at night. And you are so right about the cloth diaper obsession. It is its own weird subculture..."fluff" and "stash" and all that weird lingo. It's a diaper, people. Anyway, I love your blog and I guess I'm officially not a creeper anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a cold wash no detergent, then a heavy duty wash extra rinse with detergent (Tide Free and Gentle), followed by a brightest whites cycle with bleach only, extra rinse and that cured my stinks. I can wash my diapers during the day now!

      For regular washing I just do a cold wash no detergent, heavy duty wash extra rinse with detergent and that seems to do the trick. Switching my detergent helped a lot; I know people swear by 'cd-safe' detergents but I had to make the switch when it stopped working for me.

      And of course, welcome and thanks for reading! I'm happy you're here!

      Delete
  10. I love cloth diapering my daughter! We've been doing it about 17 months now. Cloth Diapering can most definitely become addicting. I started and ended up joining a company as a consultant! I say bring on the fluff while my husband says ...we got another diaper in the mail :/... our company is having some massive Black Friday sales if you're interested I can email you more info (don't want to step on your posts toes) We will have newborn diapers (Bum Genius) as low as $4! Can't wait to see your new little one in those cute little diapers!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really a Great Post.
    I am enjoying to seeing your cloth diaper . I glad To come across your post. Thanks for sharing this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cloth + ec has been amazing for us. http://nicoleandmaggie.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/adventures-in-elimination-communication/

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin