Sunday, April 20, 2014

A most epic birthday celebration

Three cheers for sleeping babies!  Let's all do a quick sleep dance (I have no idea what that looks like, so improvise) so I can write an epic birthday post.

You know, if and when I ever stop blogging, I will probably check in once a year, well now twice, just so I can do birthday recaps.  I love birthdays and even with all the stress and the last-minute and the no sleep, I really love doing it.  I love celebrating my babies and ironically, I thought of a working theme for Andrea's first birthday just today.  It may end up being something different between now and then, but the thoughts have already started swirling for my second baby's first party.

But this post is about my first baby.  And how she's no longer a baby.  I think when you turn three you're officially a little kid, which makes me sad but at the same time she is turning into such an amazing little person that I'm so excited to be able to watch her grow.  I know I'm biased, but Sofia really is the coolest kid out there.

So let's talk birthdays!  However, I'm feeling a teensy bit nostalgic so will you join me for a quick walk down memory lane?
My sweet girl on her first birthday; it was a garden party theme.

Birthday number two was all about Yo Gabba Gabba.

This year, Lightning McQueen was in the house.
This is the best picture I have of Sofia because the kid would not stand still.
Most of my other pictures are more like this.

I asked Sofia over and over again what kind of birthday she wanted.  She's obsessed with Frozen right now and I was sure that's what she would want for her birthday.  But true to form, she surprised me and every single time I asked "Do you want Lightning McQueen or Frozen?" she'd holler out "Lightning McQueen!"  She never wavered, she was never unsure, so Lightning McQueen it is.

Now, a Cars birthday is usually associated with boys and while that didn't faze me in the slightest, I *was* a little unsure where to begin.  Lucky for me, Cars is a very popular birthday theme and there was already a blogger that did a Cars birthday for her daughter.  I am not trying to reinvent the wheel and I say with no shame that I used a ton of elements from her party and found other elements on Pinterest.  I don't think I had one original idea and I'm okay with that.

First up was the invitation.

I searched Etsy and found a super cute design from KraftyKansas - had to give my home state some love!  Turnaround time was super fast and I had the image printed at Ofiice Depot - easy peasy.

But wait, let me back up.  I was actually late printing and sending the invites because I didn't have a location for the longest time.  The blogger I was copying rented a movie theater for her party.  That sounded like the coolest idea in the world so of course I had to rent a movie theater too.  Except, I couldn't find what I wanted.  I found a theater I could rent but I couldn't show my own movie, and what's the point of a Cars themed party if you show The Lego Movie, I ask you?!  Then I found a theater that would let me show my own movie but I couldn't have my own food, which also wouldn't work because I *had* to have themed food with my themed birthday party.  I mean, DUH.  Like I'm going to serve non-themed food.  What am I, an animal?

I'd just about given up on the movie theater idea and was just going to have the party at the house again when my girlfriend suggested The Strand.  It was a 40 minute drive from my house, but they would let me show my own movie, have my own food, I could set up the night before, *and* it wasn't an arm and a leg to rent!  For that, I will drive 40 minutes.  I got my movie theater!

Then came decorations.  Dusty was kind enough to provide some printables for the party, but not all of them and I had a very specific vision for what I wanted.  I intended to make them myself, then I remembered that I don't have the first clue about Photoshop. I was able to find a free version online and I was able to erase backgrounds on the images, but that alone took me several hours.  I asked my girlfriend for her help because she knows thismuch more than I do about Photoshop and it took us several more hours to try and figure out how to resize pictures and put them on a background.  We finally turned the project over to her husband who is a computer genius and he was like ClickClickDragDropClickClickSaveDONE.  It was seriously a joke how fast he did everything and how good it all looked.  So while I would like to contribute to the Internet and give out printables and all that, I got nothing.  I barely know how to upload pictures to my own blog.

How kick-ass is this logo!?
I got it from NhelyDesigns and put it on everything I could.

My girlfriend's husband designed everything for me, from the birthday banner to the food labels.  If it was printed, he designed it and I was so grateful to him.  But that meant I had a lot of cutting and taping and gluing to do and I'm super bummed that I didn't get to use all of his designs, which was totally on me because once again, I ran out of time and bit off more than I could chew.  It's all good though because it turned out to be a wonderful party.  Now, you'll have to excuse the photos because it was a movie theater so it was pretty dark but I'm sure you'll get the idea.
I fixated on a lot of details for the party.  
Some might say it was unnecessary, I say that's what makes a party.
So of course my girls had to have coordinating outfits.
From KooCooSay

The Strand is a single-screen, old-timey, mom and pop 
movie theater and it was perfect.
It was the perfect size and we had the whole place to ourselves.

Even though we brought in all our own food, the concession stand was
open for anyone who wanted soda or candy.

There was a separate party room but everyone pretty much stayed in the theater.
We used the party room for gifts, food prep and coats.
They already had the red tablecloths which worked out perfectly and I sure did return the ones I'd purchased for a refund.  Keep those receipts!
I bought five yards of checkered fabric from JoAnns, cut and hemmed them and they
were perfect table toppers.

There was a foyer at the back of the theater and that's where we had the main party stuff.
Yes, I was setting up as the guests arrived.  One of these days I'll get it together.
Give me a couple more parties and I'll have this down to a science.


One thing I did right and I'm really proud of were the cupcakes.  I made them several weeks beforehand and froze them and they thawed beautifully.  I seriously might do this from now on.  Also, they're from a mix but I doctored them and I got lots of compliments on how good they tasted.  Also plus, you NEED to use this frosting.  It takes two days to make but it is SO worth it.  My cupcakes were the bomb, which was absolute torture when I had leftovers and then decided to cut sugar out of my life.  

Another thing I fixated on were the food labels.  I had themed food so I needed cute labels for all my food.  Again, I straight up copied off of Dusty's party.  No shame, people.  

 I wanted to go for a hybrid between her food label and pit pass for my food labels
and my friend's husband did an amazing job.

I think he did an amazing job.

I had labels for Ramone's Body Art - that's where the kids could put on temporary tattoos, Sally's Cozy Cone Fruit Cups, Luigi's white- and black-wall tires - those were chocolate and powdered donuts, Maters Taters - potato chips, Doc's Dipsticks - those were veggie sticks and Flo's H20 Cafe.
I loved how her water bottles turned out.

This was the first stop.  
I got some wipes and put them in a lunch box 
that I found on clearance at Target the night before.
After you washed up, you could put on a tattoo from 
Ramone's House of Body Art.
The bottom part of his sign says "Get the ghost flames!"
Then it was time to get some sandwiches.
I did all finger foods because we were in a movie theater and I didn't want
people to try and cut things with a plate balanced on their laps.
Then we had Mater's Taters.
His sign said "Like puh-tater, but without the Puh!"
You'd have to know every line of the movie to get the puns
but seriously, coming up with them was the most fun for me.
Each cozy cone was supposed to have a dollop of whipped cream on top
but again, I ran out of time.  
I'm going to have to prep more food the night before, but I was scared
that it would get wilty and slimy so I left the majority of the food prep for the day of the party
and with only thirty minutes to get it all set up, it just didn't happen.
So I just set the whipped cream next to the cones and told everyone to help themselves.
I was literally running around the table, trying to snap a picture
of each thing with our guests patiently waiting to eat so this one was super blurry
which is a shame because it's my favorite.
"Look at me!  Here I am!  Love me!"
Guido's Pit Stop Popcorn was in the back and Flo's H20 cafe was the last stop on Route 66.
Also, ask me how much I love my food label holders.
The answer is SO FREAKIN MUCH.  
I'm using them for every party from now on forever.
Once everyone got their food, it was time to get situated for the movie.
There was a stage in front of the screen that turned out to be perfect 
for sprawling out and watching the movie.
She did such a good job blowing out her candle!

Most of the kids stayed still for nearly the entire movie, but towards the end they got up and started running around which was totally fine.  It went amazingly well, the venue was perfect, Sofia had a blast and I felt like it was a success.
I got a racing pennant and I was going to string it criss-crossed over the food table
but yeah.  Ran out of time.  
The birthday banner came out really great though!

We had a pretty wide age range for the kids so I wracked my brain
trying to think of a party favor that would appeal to a 12 year old as well as a three year old
and I came up with stoplight playdoh.  Well you know, *I* didn't;  Pinterest did.
But you know what I mean.
It didn't take long to make and I think they came out really cute!
Sofia ran and played for nearly three hours straight
and I barely had her buckled in before she was knocked out and snoring.
I'd say that's a successful party.

The next day, we went to Disney on Ice.  It was another birthday present and I wasn't sure that Sofia would get it or sit still but she was entranced.  She didn't stop talking about the 'princess ice-skating' for days.
I don't think she blinked the whole time.
She and Carter loved it!
I seriously love these people.

Aimee was there when I was laboring with Andrea, Marcus designed everything for Sofia's party, Aimee helped with setting up for the party because I wouldn't have gotten anything done without her.  Then they treated us to Disney on Ice for Sofia's birthday?!  I'm not joking, I LOVE them.  Sofia has stayed the night at their house, and we've joked that we should just get a compound somewhere and be sister-wives, but we'll keep our own husbands.  It's just so we can hang out together all the time.
And while I'm not trying to marry the two of them off,
I sure would love if they stayed friends forever.

So, we had to have Sofia's birthday party the weekend before her actual birthday because Drew had a last minute work trip and had to leave town the day after her birthday.  He came back for her actual birthday but then had to leave again, but not before we celebrated just a little more.
I took the leftover cupcakes to her school the next week
and they had a little party for her and she got *another* crown!
Drew likes to leave messages for her since he leaves before she gets up.
When he got home, she opened her presents from 
Mommy and Daddy.
Every doctor needs a coat.
She's very serious about her craft.
"Just a little pinch."
She also got some more magnetic building blocks.
Either a doctor or engineer, people.  I'm working
that subliminal messaging now.
My sister even flew up for Sofia's birthday!
My mom came up too.
*That* was a fun time.
But also, look how big my little baby is getting!
The Sunday after Sofia's birthday, she went to an Easter egg hunt
at one of her little classmate's house.
It was so much fun watching her scramble around gathering eggs!

So, we ended up preparing and celebrating Sofia's birthday for two weeks straight, with Drew being home for about four of those fourteen days and silly me, I was trying to thrive during that time *and* dealing with thrush.  At the end of those two weeks I was delirious and I'd abandoned all attempts at thriving and trying to cut sugar out of my life.  I need fruit and cupcakes and maple syrup in order to stay sane and deal with my husband traveling as much as he does.

And that, my friends is how my big girl celebrated three whole years on this Earth.  She is the light of my life and I am so blessed I get to be her mother and I get to celebrate her like this every year.  She's the greatest kid a mom could ask for and I know all moms say that, but seriously, even when she's trying me (and good Lord, does she try me) she's still the greatest.

I love you, Sofia.

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I wrote L's bday post tonight, so it was fun to come read yours afterwards. Great job on be party details! I ran into the same issues with prepping food the day of the party- didn't want apples to brown, ranch dip to congeal...you know, first world problems:) you are so awesome for getting her a MOVIE THEATER! Perfect. But my fave pic is her asleep with the balloon. Looks like a perfect day to turn three:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm already a few paragraphs in, and I'm loving this so much that I'm going to respond live while I read it. I have two windows open -- one to comment and one to read.

    I've quit checking in on my blog, but I always really want to share my kid's (soon, kids') birthday party.

    I'm already thinking of ideas for my second son's birthday party too! He was born on January 23rd, so I have got to have my SHIT TOGETHER.

    I look at Ethan too and wonder at how I got the coolest kid on the planet.

    "I say with no shame that I used a ton of elements from her party and found other elements on Pinterest. I don't think I had one original idea and I'm okay with that." I pinned all the things for Ethan's third party on a private board so my friends wouldn't have already seen all the elements to his party before they even arrived.

    "Like I'm going to serve non-themed food. What am I, an animal?" We had a pirate theme for Ethan's third birthday party, and my MIL was over helping with last minute stuff, and I had to explain like three times that I wanted CUTE names for the food, and no, I didn't want to just call it what it was. I chose that food for a reason and it all had to tie together. Gah. Party planning amateurs.

    "I fixated on a lot of details for the party. Some might say it was unnecessary, I say that's what makes a party." My MIL, while helping with some last minute details, was like, "Well, you won't do things as ELABORATE for Justin as you've done for Ethan." I enjoy doing a themed party, I enjoy having cool, unexpected ideas, and really, my parties haven't been elaborate, and of course Justin will get parties like Ethan has because they're fun and now I get to use ideas I wasn't able to use for Ethan. Obvs.

    Sisterwives! We should all have women in our life who we feel that way about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE party! it really is all in the details! i mean, what's a party without a theme? original idea or not, you still pulled it off without a hitch! i still haven't gotten around to blogging about my youngest's first birthday party yet because i was knee deep in the DIY party-planning process for a good six months ahead of time. i just needed to step away for a while. :)

    i love that y'all found a movie theater to rent out. your checkered tablecloths were so cute and thanks for the cake freezing info, i might actually give that a try soon.

    i love the picture of Sofia with her doctor mask on. adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wicked awesome job putting all of that together! I'm jealous of your bday party throwing skills! :) Happy Bday to little Sofia...I feels like yesterday we were awaiting her birth. So happy for you and the little family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sofia's party blew my socks off, even with help you did that!!!! She will look back at these pictures and know you and Drew love her very much, the smile on his face as she is blowing out the candle says everything!!! I am so happy for you and your family and to see you sister and mother come together for Sofia's birthday is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. D - you did an AMAZING job on Sofia's party - super cute!! I totally understand about stressing over the "details" because I too did the same thing with Mason's party & I am here to tell you that all the party details were adorable! I have been anxiously awaiting the birthday party review & it was well worth the wait! Good job Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was really really impressive. You me at renting out a movie theater. The themed decor, foods and pre-made cupcakes.... speechless. You're making this mom of 2 and a newborn look very easy! :-) Hey, what were the parting gift ball thingies?? Love the sandwich idea! So much healthier than pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The outfits are adorable - I love the food signs - Mom and sister?!? WOW! What an awesome party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Desiree, I would say that Miss Sofia had a very fine birthday. You did an excellent job. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin