Friday, October 15, 2010

Wave of Light

I've dried my tears for the time being.  Thanks to your kind words and thoughts, I'm finding the strength to tentatively find my way.  I'm very uncertain, still very scared, but cautiously optimistic.
The thing is, you never forget.  It is in the past and the only way to heal is to move forward, but you never forget.  I go about my life, I don't wear a black armband of mourning, I don't have an eternal flame lit anywhere, I even smile and laugh - yet I never forget.  


Today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.  I still haven't found my footing as a pregnant person, I'm still teetering between fear of the past and hope for the future.  But I know I'm not alone.  1 in 4 - that's a lot of women who have felt what I feel.  That's a lot of tears, a lot of fear.


Words are failing me right now - I know you can't see but I just sat at the keyboard, staring at the screen.  I just did it again.


I feel like I'm being pulled away from the loss/infertility circle because I'm pregnant, but I want to call out "Don't push me away yet, don't take away my chair yet, I may need to come back.  Please don't cross your arms to me just yet, I may need them for a hug.  Please don't close the door yet, I'm not sure where I'm going."  But I turn toward the new mothers circle, knowing that I need to prepare, knowing that there is so much information that I have to learn, but I still feel hesitant and unworthy, like the new kid who isn't sure they're in the right room.  I feel like if I actually go in, I'll jinx myself and the joke will be on me and they'll be all nope, you don't belong here, not yet, go on back to the babyloss room.  Better luck next time.
......


My neighbor is pregnant - she's due in November.  I had her over one night and we talked about baby stuff.  I'm allowed to now - I have the bruises on my belly to prove it but for some reason I felt like a fraud, that we couldn't go any further without her knowing that I didn't come by this pregnancy easily, that I'd been scarred by loss.  Opening up to her allowed her to open up to me and she shared that she too had had two losses, her most recent being New Year's Day.  Talk about suck.  Seriously y'all, 1 in 4 is about right.


I know I have time to get happy and I know this whole thing is a process.  I'm trying to cut myself some slack and realize that a plus sign on a pee stick doesn't automatically make everything right with the world.  It doesn't magically erase the pain of your past.  That's why they call them rainbow babies - after you come through the storm, when you're positive that nothing is going to survive the earthquake-hurricane-tsunami-fire-devastation and you're smack in the middle, the rainbow comes out.  There's still cleanup and rebuilding and maybe some things you have to throw away because they're damaged beyond repair, but you've got that rainbow overhead to remind you that you can do it.  One step at a time.





Baby Boy 6 December 2005 - I knew in my heart you were a little boy.  I knew you'd have jet-black hair and a fat belly that I would kiss forever and ever.  I'm so sorry I couldn't have been better for you.  I'm so sorry for how things turned out.  I'm so sorry.  I'm so very very sorry.


Baby Girl (Nugget) 21 October 2009 - You were a girl, I just knew it.  You were going to have caramel skin and honey-colored hair.  Your daddy and I were so excited, we had such plans for you and we were so very very sad when you couldn't stay.  You taught me so much and I'm so very grateful to you.  Thank you.


Speck 31 March 2010 - Poor little baby.  You didn't get very far, did you?  You weren't much more than a little spot on the screen, but I had hope just the same.  Even though we didn't get much time together, really we barely met, you still made a home in my heart.  I will miss you terribly.


I love you all so very very much and I miss you often.  When your little sister or brother gets here I'll be sure to hug them extra tight and give them extra kisses just from you guys.

9 comments:

  1. I feel terrible about your losses. We have also suffered losses and babies we never got to meet. I have a 21 month old son and am now 9 weeks pregnant again. I am absolutely terrified of another loss. And I will never forget the babies I never met. The fear never does go away until that beautiful baby is looking up at you. Then a whole other book of fears open up. Completely worth it :) We'll be lighting a candle tonight as well. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hold your head up and stay strong. I have no doubt you'll be an amazing mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you. thanks for sharing your incredibly emotional start of your new pregnancy journey. however hard it is, I can't help but feel so grateful that you know what caused your earlier miscarriages and now you can do something to fix it. that little baby has no idea how lucky he/she is to have you as a momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your words to your angelbabies were so sweet. i actually got a lump in my throat reading them.

    jennifer is right. it's a mother's nature to worry. you're scared when you're pregnant, and once they get here it starts all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I might be crying. Your notes to your little angels melted my heart. Why do you have to live in Dallas!??!? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, well said. I think it is really important that you never forget them, and I look up to you for that. I am hoping April will be here before we know it, and then your angel babies will be smiling up there at their new baby brother or sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post just tore at my heart. :( I'm so sorry for the losses you've had D.
    I wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't. Just thinking about you. Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good post! Made me tear up a bit :( I hate that we both know the feeling of loss but am glad to have found each other! Thinking about you lots!

    Hugs,
    HT

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll never not be part of the loss/infertility circle, they can never kick you out. No matter how many beautiful healthy babies you have you'll always have a place in your heart for the ones you never met. You shouldn't feel that just because you're pregnant again means you can't identify with people who have suffered loss, and I sincerely hope that just because you're pregnant again they're not making you feel like you don't belong. Just because you're also on your way to being part of the mommy circle doesn't mean you can't get to be part of two circles at once :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed the date because I am just reading this, but I will light my candles tonight for my lost nuggets as well. Blessings to you dear.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin