Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The shed-yule

L'horaire.  El horario.  Sked-chull.  Sketch-ull.  The Almighty Schedule.


It was the magic key that has my baby sleeping through the night.  And not five hours, which is commonly accepted as 'through the night.'  I'm talking going to bed at 8 and not getting up until seven the next morning.  I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't living it.  But let me back up.


It was Saturday night and I was sitting in our bedroom, bawling my eyes out.  Head in hands, shoulders shaking, bawling.  Sofia was in her crib, bawling *her* eyes out.  Throat rattling, snot pouring, bawling.  It was miserable and something had to give because my baby was tired.
We were at the baby gym and the bubbles were just sitting on her hair.
She looked so cute but she was barely able to keep her eyes open.


They say you shouldn't even think about getting a baby on a schedule until they're at least four to five months.  We kinda sorta had a schedule but nighttime was always a battle and she always ended up in bed with us.  Naps were sporadic and bedtime was anywhere from 7:30 to 10:30, not by my choice.  I could always count on an 11 or midnight waking, followed by a 3-4am waking, followed by bringing her in bed with us because I was so effing tired.


I tried to follow the Ferber method for one night - remember how that turned out?  I had a violent physical reaction to her crying and that was it for me.  I may be weak, soft, and screwing up my daughter for life, but I cannot deal with her crying.  I am physically unable to handle it and since I'm alone more often than not, I won't be trying anytime soon.  I don't have anyone to reassure me and hold me while my daughter is screaming and crying her face off, so I had to find a different way.


Unfortunately, the holidays killed any sort of attempt at routine or schedule.  We traveled from October until the new year and between hotel rooms, my parent's house and Drew's parent's house, Sofia rarely had a normal bedtime - we just did the best we could.  I feel guilty beyond guilty typing that out, but I have seen the error of my ways and trust - it's not going to be like that ever again.


Sunday morning, Drew left for Reading.  It was a new day, a new start and it was high time for The Schedule.
Don't. Mess. With The Schedule.

We have lots of playing built into The Schedule because it's time for us to learn things.  I found this awesome blog, Play at Home Mom and those tricks are serious!  I don't have Environments or Invitations for Sofia, but we sure do stack the hell out of some blocks and I try my hardest to teach her colors.  It's only been three days, but I'm pretty sure we're ready to move on to long division.

But seriously, if I wasn't living it I wouldn't believe it but y'all.  This shit works.  Oh, and the marks above The Schedule?  That's our swear chart - no, seriously.  I refuse to have the kid that swears and thinks it's funny because they picked it up from Mom and Dad.  Presently, I'm winning and we're doing lots better since we started keeping track, but obviously it doesn't apply to the blog.  I have to be able to swear somewhere, even though I'm actually trying to lighten that up as well.  I'm *totally* going to stop before she can read.  PROMISE.

But back to The Schedule.  Sunday we followed it to the letter and I got an hour long morning nap and a two hour afternoon nap and I have never gotten a two hour afternoon nap.  Granted, I laid down with her but I'm counting it!  Bedtime was a little rough because she woke up around 11 and it took me an hour to get her back down, BUT she stayed in her crib the rest of the night!!  She didn't wake up until 7:30 the next morning!!  That is so major.

Monday, again we followed The Schedule to the letter.  This time morning and afternoon naps were shorter, but they happened!  At the right time!  Bedtime came at 7:45 and when she woke up around 11 again, it took less than an hour to get her back down!  When she woke around 3ish, she half-cried for a little while, and put herself back to sleep.  That has never ever ever ever ever EVER happened.  

Tonight, she was practically begging to go to sleep at 7:45 on the dot and was out cold by 8.  A Got Damb Murther Furkin door to door person came at 8 murther furkin o'clock, thereby causing my dog to lose her mind barking and I about lost my shit because of course the baby woke up.  After telling the door to door person that I didn't want a Got Damb thing they were selling and very pointedly telling her that She Woke Up My Baby, I went in to soothe her, positive that it would take all night to get her back down.

Five minutes.  If that.  She was back to sleep and has been asleep ever since.  I made myself dinner, I painted my fingers and toes, I watched tv and thanked the baby Jesus for my good fortune.   

I know the Varsity Moms are probably rolling their eyes, going duh!  Babies need schedules and routines!  To which I can only reply, Dooood.  My bad!  I clearly didn't understand how serious it was to have A Schedule.

Her demeanor and mood is ridiculously improved.  She's always been a happy and easy-going kid but now she's rested and she's even happier, and rather than beat myself up that it took me this long to get it together, I'm going to be thankful that it didn't take me longer.

Therefore, this little post is getting filed under 'accomplishments.'  One day I do hope to get naps that are longer than an hour in the daytime, but for now I'm going to bask in the fact that my baby is officially sleeping through the night because I thought we'd be doomed to have her in our bed forever.  I love my daughter but she actually punched me in the throat Saturday morning.  Yeah, it was because she rolled over and flung her arm out, but it woke me out of a dead sleep and that shit hurt!  Seriously, we all needed our own space.

The Schedule is not ultra-rigid, it allows for wiggle room and slowly but surely we're working our way up to being able to leave the house for longer periods of time without her falling asleep in the carseat.  One thing at a time.

I still don't know what to do with myself and I'm sure that this is a sign of her growing up.  She actually cut her first tooth today. *sniff*  My baby's growing up.

Okay, so please allow me this moment of being happy and proud and feeling like a good mother.  Please don't tell me about how this is all going out the window with the next milestone or some other mean thing like "enjoy it while you can, because wait till they (do whatever thing that will cause them to stop sleeping)."  

I need this victory.  I need the illusion, if only for a little while.

I need to sleep enough to get the circles under my eyes to fade just a little bit.  So.......


My baby's sleeping through the night!  Halle-LU-Jah!
Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. Yay!! I am so happy that you have found something that works for your family. I absolutely cannot stand to hear my baby cry either, so I'm all about "whatever works for you is best."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You. Are. Fabulous. :)
    I love schedules---sanity saving! And I love that you know you cannot be rigid. I tell you what, there was about 3 years when everyone in my world knew that if you called my house between 1 and 4pm, I would come to their house and kill them.
    And I, too, do not think it's cute when toddlers curse. Tackiest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No raining on your parade from me! Babies really like consistent routines so hooray for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! Someday we'll start to try that with Stella. It's just so hard to know when to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! It meant so much to me when you called me that night. So thankful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on a sign to hang on the door that says "Baby sleeping. Knock on this door and you'll draw back a bloody stump."

    Too much? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! I am way impressed that it is POSTED. For ALL to see. That really helped me, but mine was always on post-its all over the place that got hidden. The chalkboard is very official. I am happy for you and agree that no one needs to do the whole "wait til she..." routine. That is getting old, isn't it? You are going to be so much more relaxed with a full night sleep:o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, now if only I could actually go to sleep shortly after she does! Here it is, 11pm and I'm still up, doing laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you curse in the blog, I giggle. I LOVE IT. Sometimes a good curse word adds that "something." That being said, I also have to get my mouth under control. I am sure I sound like a sailor sometimes and my husband who never curses gives me "judging eyes."

    I love your chalk board with the schedule. It makes me easier to adhere to, especially to a person like me who always forgets.

    Thanks for sharing that site, I now have it save. Zo is also cutting a tooth... entirely too early. My boobs are being KILLED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally stealing this schedule...I never really thought about having an actual schedule until now, he is getting so fussy and bratty that I need to have some kind of control of what we do during the day so things can flow better and I'm not exhausted by the end of the day. He naturally does have some kind of routine that is similar to your schedule which is why I'm stealing it lol....my son wakes around 11 or 12am and then another time like 3 or 4am but the first time he wakes I bring him in the bed with us because I can not stay up and put him back to sleep by comfort feeding and then try to put him down without waking, he is a light sleeper! LOL I do want to warn you about something I've been going through for a little while but I will let you have your peace for now...or you might post about it some time. :)

    Happy Parenting!
    jlauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. question: do you still nurse? when do you nurse on your schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I nurse first thing in the morning, when she wakes up, and right before she goes to sleep for naps and bedtimes so it's four times a day. Sometimes I nurse between the afternoon nap and bedtime if she's insistent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm telling you, it has changed the game for me! Definitely try it and if you tweak something to make it work better, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats girl!!
    I'm not a mama so I can't really relate but I know from nieces and nephews that this is monumental.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely changed my life. I'm eating regular meals now and I'm slowly but surely counting on my 'me time!' It's a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so jealous! I have tried to get baby on a schedule but it has been impossible to get the babysitter aka grandma to cooperate. Since I work all day, he fights his sleep to wait up for me... then he wakes more frequently throughout the night to nurse. SIGH.. what I would do for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep... I think I am going to print out this post and show it to grandma! Lol

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin