Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Birthday breakdown: Party pics!

It's the post you've been waiting for!  Or not, but it's the post I've been dying to write.  Either way, I've got party pics!


But first, let's talk decorations.  I had a specific vision for what I wanted at Sofia's birthday party.  Y'all have heard me talk about the cake nonstop here, here, here and oh yeah, here too.  Cake is important to me.  Cake is serious.  Cake is everything.  


However, decorations are just as important and I knew what I wanted.  Namely, I wanted mobiles over the gift table, aka our dining table.  I had visions!  It would be perfect!  I would SEW!  The only problem is I had plans to do lots of other things myself.  I wanted to make the favors.  The food I wanted required same-day prep.  The tables had to be arranged and dressed just so.  My hair had to be done the morning of the party so it would be cute.  I wanted to make a special birthday playlist so there would be cool music playing in the background to create the environment.  I wanted pictures of Sofia everywhere documenting how she's grown over this past year.  Oh yeah, I wanted a balloon canopy over the patio.


You might say I bit off more than I could chew.  But that wasn't going to stop me from at least trying and wrangling all the help I could get.


My parents and 5-year-old cousin arrived the Thursday before the party.  The first thing I did was put everyone to work blowing up balloons.  I could have rented a helium tank but at $300, I quickly decided that CO2 was free.  So I locked us all in the sunroom so the dog wouldn't get at them and we got to blowing up nearly 200 balloons.
 I bought these at Target.  Do not buy this brand - I'll tell you why in a minute.
The awesome thing about little kids is that you can put them to work 
and they think it's fun!
While Sofia couldn't blow them up, she had great fun crawling around 
with the balloons in her mouth.
That is, when she wasn't taunting poor Maya, who was stuck on the other
side and whined the whole time.
Between the four of us, it took less than two hours to blow up all the balloons.
I went for hot pink, light pink, blue, green, and white but the green came out 
more yellowish.  I briefly considered running out and getting more green balloons but
I was quickly vetoed.

Drew came home later that night and he talked with my dad about how to string them up in the backyard so I could have my balloon canopy.  Friday morning, Drew, my dad, and our friend Harrison got to work stringing up the balloons because they decided that it would be too much work to do it the morning of the party.  So we girls set out on our party errands while the guys stayed home to do balloons.  When we got home, I found that they'd been successful!
I didn't tell them that I wanted them in order, you know, hot pink, light pink, blue, green, white
and so on, so they just strung them up as they grabbed them.
I knew better than to say anything.

However, no sooner had they gotten them strung up than they started popping!  I guess the heat was too much and there were all these random popping noises.  We agreed that it was reminiscent of the dad shooting the birds the day of the wedding in Steel Magnolias.  But the popping balloons was the least of our worries.

You guys, my awesome balloon canopy started deflating!

By the end of the night on Friday, Every. Single. Balloon had deflated.
All 180 balloons.

I was so upset!  I had a vision for this party and my vision included a balloon canopy.  I was crushed and was convinced that the party would suck without the balloon canopy and all the guests would talk about my sucky party and how deprived my daughter was.  So do you know what my hero of a husband did?  They went out and bought 150 more balloons and they blew them all up, and strung them up again!  This time they got a different brand from Wal-mart and while they popped too, they held up for the duration of the party!
Balloons, round two.
About two hours before the party.

And that was just the balloons!  I was scrambling to finish my mobiles and I had put my dad to work cutting the strips of paper so I could sew them.  Finding spare time to sit at my sewing machine was a feat in and of itself and then trying to find something at the hardware store to weigh them down was a whole other deal.  Have you ever taken a one year old, a five year old and a grandma to run errands?  Everything becomes a production.  There is no running in and out of stores.  The word 'quickly' doesn't exist in a five year old's vocabulary.  

But, against the odds we did it and we hung the mobiles about ten minutes before people started arriving.  I actually got Amy Barry's help because I wanted her to take pictures of them and she couldn't do that while they were still laying on the table!  She and my brother were amazing and brought that part of my vision to life!
I was so happy with how they came out, we left them up for several days after the party.

Then there were the party favors.  Since it was a garden party, I had the brilliant plan to give plants to all the kids.  I had visions of the plants living forever and one day, when Sofia and her friends were all grown up, they would all have these big plants that they got at her one-year birthday party.

I bought the planters and wanted to paint each one with chalkboard paint (that I already had, thank God) and personalize each one.  Yeah, when was I supposed to find time to paint the pots, write on them and oh yeah, plant the plants?!  Once again, my hubby came to the rescue and planted them for me while I was sewing/baking/cleaning/running around after little kids.  And they came out great!
I wanted to string some mobiles over this table too so the mobiles made more sense,
 but I ran out of time.
That's pretty much the story of this party.
Everyone really liked their plants though!
I also knew I wanted pink champagne, so when World Market had bottles of fizzy alcohol
on sale for 4 bucks each, we scooped up a cartful.  I got some peach flavored ones just
for me and thoroughly enjoyed several glasses.
I was really happy with the sweets table.
Drew's dad sent his famous chocolate peanut butter cookies
since they couldn't come to the party and I wanted to make sure they 
got a place of honor.
The petit fours were a big hit too!  And I got my burlap tablecloth!
I wanted to cover the food table with burlap as well, but I didn't get enough
and I ran out of time to go buy more.  Ah well.
I wanted the food table to be fancier, but I was sending food out as the guests
were arriving so there wasn't a lot I could do.  However, I got my flower sandwiches
and veggie cups!  I even made some hummus from scratch!
Actually, everything on here was made, we didn't buy anything pre-made.
The next party will not be that way.

But soon enough, everyone had arrived at it was time to party!
We even Skyped with Grandma and Grandpa in New York!
My baby's first birthday party was underway!
Between my brother and Amy Barry, we got some great shots!
like this one
playing with friends
In a stroke of genius, Drew laid down this rug so the babies would have a spot to chill.
My hubs is so smart.
I love how her little pinkie is extended.
She was completely successful in making a fantastic mess!
Like I said, my favorite part of the party.
We have lots of these pictures because they're awesome.

I'd say the party was a success, in that we made it through alive.  Looking back, I definitely would have done more things differently.  If I were going to do so many things myself, I would have started much earlier.  It's not like I didn't know what I wanted, but I procrastinated until the last minute and that is not possible when there are so many elements.  I would have bought food, or made less of it.  I blame Pinterest for that.  There were so many things I wanted to try, so many dishes I wanted to have and I should have just chosen one or two and left it at that.  I would have made one. fricking. cake.  I'm not even saying anything else about that.

I wasn't overly stressed about the party, but I just ran out of time.  I definitely enjoyed myself and I can thank Zoloft for that.  When the party started, I was done.  No more running around, last minute stuff was either done or not, and that was that.  I enjoyed watching my baby and when everyone gathered around to sing Happy Birthday to her, I nearly started crying.  It was an awesome day.

And since this post is epically long already, I'll stop here.  But I have to tell y'all about her presents!  MY blog friends bought birthday presents for my baby!  It's amazing and heartwarming and I can't wait to tell you all about it!

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Hi! I came over from Krissy's blog. This party looks great! I didn't before but now I think I need a balloon canopy in my life. I will fit it in somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I absolutely LOVE the balloon canopy! Good job husband for coming to the rescue and making a new one! Jake would have laughed in my face. HAHA :) It all turned out so cute, and I seriously love that bright pink on you. :)

    P.S. you have an ADORABLE family. Thought you should know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her party!! The balloons looked so pretty :) The potted plants are darling, favor idea! love it :)

    Thank you for the balloon buying tip, we will not buy balloons from Target! i'm planning my sons 1st b-day party 6weeks to go and I have so much to do, I'll take you tip and buy a few food items :) Less stress for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I LOVE the potted plants idea!!! And the balloons and everything! GReat job mama! And now I regret reading this just days before my son's 1st birthday party because I do NOT need any more ideas. Lol ahhhh !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The party looks great, you are a much better woman than I...I would have been having a nervous breakdown with the balloon situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an event! Hey, I need some fun cake ideas for my birthday (tomorrow!). I almost forgot it was happening...obviously I haven't planned anything yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First off, great pictures. I was so happy to see them just a few days before ours! The second balloons were so pretty, and you are blessed with 2 great men in your life for going through the balloon bs twice:o) The cake is amazing, and the petit fours were the perfect addition! I think I see veggies in cups with dip? If so, that is a great idea. If not, I need glasses. You guys look great and I'm so happy everything turned out beautifully! I know it will be fine in the end, but today I realized all the DVDs I burned do not work in DVD players, my pdf files to print at Kinko's would not print, and my 12 month pennant will not fit across our fireplace. And yeah, I started planning these ideas 6 months ago but didn't reallllly start til this week. Oh WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know! My dad, Drew, my brother and Harrison all saved the day! The second round of balloons stayed inflated the whole time and of course I have no idea what brand they were since the guys bought them!

    And veggie cups are my new favorite thing! It's brilliant - no worries about double dipping, no spills, I'm totally having them at every party I give from now on! The kid ones had just carrots in them and the adult ones had cucumber, red and green bell peppers and carrots with ranch in the cups. They were perfect! Then I had a plate with the veggies and hummus.

    You have DVDs? I totally wanted to do that! And I wanted some kind of pennant or bunting for the food table but I never got to it. I can't wait to see how your party turns out - believe me, just get the baby a smash cake and nothing else will matter. It is awesome seeing them tear into it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, my friend, need no cake advice from me! I saw those fruit cakes you did for Inga's birthday! They were amazing! If anything, I need to be getting advice from you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only reason I wasn't in the corner crying and freaking out is I had Captain Zoloft on my side! I tell ya, that little pill has changed my life. It was actually a little weird how calm I was!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you like the plants idea, but for your own sake do NOT attempt anything new this close to your party! I beg you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to my neighbor's daughter's birthday party a few days ago and she got a couple of platters of Jersey Mike's subs and they were perfect. The only other thing she had was a small fruit salad and that was plenty. I really went overboard with all the making-stuff-from-scratch. Next time I will definitely buy as much as I can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there! Welcome! Thanks for visiting and I hope you like it over here!

    And yes, balloon canopies will make you happy. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow Desiree, everything was so beautiful! i LOVE the way the balloon canopy turned out. so pretty. your Dad and husband were saints(!) for doing all those tasks for you. that is so nice.

    i can relate to the whole biting off more than you can chew thing. i guess since i don't cook a lot, i didn't realize just how time-consuming making all of the food (aside from the cake) from scratch was going to be for A's 2nd b-day party last month. in the end, i was still glad that i did it, but i don't think i will try that again.

    my hair ended up looking a hot mess for the party because i had to rush and get dressed when guests started arriving and i ran out of time to make the birthday picture backdrop that i wanted. ah well, everyone still had a good time so that's what mattered in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously D - you did an amazing job!!! All the details, colors, food & desserts looked fabulous. Still can't believe Little Miss is now one years old!! Seems just like yesterday...

    Strong work Mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The party was absolutely beautiful. You did such a great job chica! As much as you stress out about these things, you always end up getting them done. Is party planning in your future? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl NO! I'm glad birthdays only come once a year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful party! I am so sad I wasn't able to attend. Sofia still has a gift coming once I start feeling better. I LOVE the plant/party favor idea. And girl are those ombre napkins??? You stunted. Don't let nobody tell you different mmkay? I love Sofia and her fancy pinky and everything! And yay Drew for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Des - the party looks spectactular! You did an amazing job and the outcome is beautiful. Little Sofia looks soooo happy!!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the pics! Looks like baby had an awesome time and that's all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember reading this post in April...but had to come back to it now that I'm in the middle of planning our 1st birthday party. Funny how I'm catching more details this time. Ha ha. Let me just say that you are amazing! The party turned out great and Sofia is one lucky little gal.

    My big thing is the cake...it's really all I care about for this first birthday(I can't decide if that is good or bad). Anyways, I'm contemplating making the pink ombre cake. Any tips?? Do you remember how much food coloring you used per layer?? Any suggestions would be oh-so-welcome.

    Hope you had a great vacation!

    Janna

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin