Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Discipline dilemmas

This is my kid.
She is the most awesome kid on the planet.  She's funny, easygoing and she's the light of my life in every possible way.  Life without her is just not worth it and I'm the luckiest human being alive because I get to be with her.

That said, this kid?  This kid right hurr?  Knows how to work me.  Up until about a month ago, we were cool, just bopping along, enjoying life and being merry and gay.  Then something happened.

She started testing me.  Have you ever been tested by a toddler?  Even those with nerves of steel and the patience of Job will crumble in the face of a willful toddler with determination on their mind.  This little kid started doing stuff and I know that she knew what she was doing and she knew she wasn't supposed to and she did it anyway.  

I never thought much about discipline until I had a kid.  Anytime I went somewhere and there were rowdy kids I acknowledged their rowdiness, wished they were somewhere else and went on with my life.  I never judged because that was too much effort and would require me to care, which I rarely did.  Not that I don't have opinions, because I do.  But to go so far as deem someone a bad parent because they have rowdy kids?  I have better things to do with my life.  Then one day, I had a rowdy kid.

As far as discipline goes, I have only one rule that I'm sticking to thus far:  I will not hit/spank my child.  *IN MY OPINION*, physical punishment only lasts as long as the physical pain and doesn't truly deter the action you're punishing in the first place.  Plus, it instills fear instead of respect and you don't really learn what you're supposed to do in place of the thing you're getting spanked for.  I was a spanked child and while I'm not at all permanently damaged from it and  I don't look down on other people who do spank, I can say *for myself* it didn't teach me anything, and now that I'm grown I have neither fear nor respect for the disciplinarian.  Spanking didn't work for me so I'm not using that method on my own kid.

Beyond that, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, and I've spoken to a couple other friends of mine and they too are doing what they can to keep from raising criminals.  Some days it works, other days they're saving for bail money.

As for me, I'm starting to have to think more deeply about discipline and what I'm going to have to do to keep my daughter out of jail.  Let me just say, I did not think it would start this early.

It started with the independence.  She's really good about holding my hand - usually.  But let there be something interesting in her eyesight and she's quick to snatch her hand out of mine and take off running.  And that little chick is strong!  Of course, she never gets far and I usually scoop her up before she's ever in danger or can cause damage, but still.  Plus, if it's somewhere dangerous like a parking lot, she's still small enough to be either in my arms or strapped in a stroller.

But then came the tantrums.  If she pulled her hand out of mine and I catch her and hold her hand again, she'll sit down wherever we are.  If I try to scoop her up, she lays down.  Then comes the screeching.  It's not crying, it's being pissed.  Out Loud.  None of these things bother me and I could give two shits who's looking and judging.  Again, I'm flying by the seat of my pants and I'm doing the best I can.  

When the tantrums happen, I stay calm, acknowledge the feeling and redirect.  I don't know if that's right but it's what I do.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  It's when things get complicated that I have my discipline dilemmas.  Allow me to illustrate:

Last week, we were in the Kansas City airport waiting for our flight to Philly.  I was traveling alone with the Assault Stroller, my mom bag and a small backpack for my laptop.
This thing is a monster, but I sure do love it on uneven sidewalks!
It was either bring it or be without it for six weeks and that was not an option.
I NEEDS my stroller!

Our flight was during the morning nap - Strike One, but unavoidable because there were only two nonstops to Philly from KC.  If I had to choose between a nonstop flight during naptime or a flight with stops around naps, it's the nonstop.  Always.  Traveling with a toddler is enough of a nightmare without plane changes being thrown into the mix.

After the monumental hassle that is getting through security with a behemoth stroller, taking out the laptop, going barefoot, take off your watch and jewelry, take the baby out of the stroller, make sure she stays close, put all your shit in fifty different bins, pray to Jesus you don't set off the buzzer, get your stroller patted down because it won't fit through the scanner, collect your shit from the fifty different bins and get dressed again, guess who got a taste of freedom and didn't want to get back in the stroller?!  Strike Two and first Discipline Dilemma.

So I assessed.  Our gate was at a dead end.  It was morning so there weren't that many people around.  Do I force her back into the stroller and have her wig out or let her run around,  and hopefully get out all her energy so she'll be chill on the tiny plane on our long-ass flight to Philly?

I chose run around.  I parked the stroller in a corner and set up camp.  I put my wallet and phone in my back pocket, said a prayer over my purse and laptop and let the baby go.  

At first, she stayed close because I bribed her with the food I'd brought for the flight.  But once her belly was full, it was explorin' time.  I let her run, always trailing close and anytime she got close to someone, I scooped her up or herded her in a different direction.  I think my kid is the most awesome kid on the planet, but I don't expect anyone else to and I don't want her cramping anyone else's style.

We were cool until a family showed up and sat near us.  They had two daughters, I'd say about six and maybe nine.  I was toast because Sofia loves big kids.  She's intrigued by babies, but she loves big kids and a six-year old is just her speed.  She zeroed in on the six year old and that was it.  I pulled her away from them at least seven or eight times, always apologizing and trying to get Sofia interested in something else, but to her there was nothing more interesting in the world than big kids. So I was that mom - Come on Sofia, come over here and play!  Sofia, I have super fun toys for you over here!  Sofia, that doesn't belong to you.  Sofia, you can play with mommy's bag, that one isn't yours.  Sofia, that's enough.  Sofia.  Sofia.  Sofia!!

What made it worse was that the mom and dad were so cool.  Oh, she's fine! Don't worry!  She's so cute!

Discipline Dilemma:  I want to teach my daughter to respect other people's space and things no matter what, but the other people in question are cool with her invading their space and things.  What do I do when I'm the one who's not cool with it?  You know, because of germs, disease and Stranger Danger.  I really just want to mind my own business with my kid until it's time to board.

Then the six year old pulls out a snack pack that I pray she bought at the airport and not from home, although either way it skeeved me out.  It was carrots, ranch and grapes.  Sofia saw the grapes in the hand of the big kid and that was it.  "Bite!  Bite!"  "Sofia, we have our own food over here.  Come on, mommy will give you some food if you're still hungry."

*Take the kid's hand to walk her away from the Big Kid With The Grapes, she snatches her hand away.  Take the hand again, she sits down.  Pick up the kid, she whips out the Stiff-Body-Arched-Back move.  Tantrum is imminent.  Look at watch, twenty minutes until boarding starts.  Pray to baby Jesus.*

Then, the kiss of death:  "It's okay Sofia, I'll share my grapes with you."  Then the dad was all, "Really, it's fine.  She can have some grapes."

PISS.  PissPissPissPiss.  *Now* what do I do?  The six year old is being nice, probably making her parents proud for sharing with a strange kid and I'm going to be PunkAssMom because I'm all germs! disease! stranger danger! where are your manners!  

"Oh thank you so much sweetie, but we have snacks over here, you're so kind!"  She barely hears me over the screeching howler monkey that has suddenly possessed my daughter.

I'll spare you the internal brow-beating I gave myself about screwing up this teaching moment, about how I should have been firmer, how I should have gathered our things and moved to another part of the waiting area, how my kid is probably never going to learn manners because I gave in.

Yup, I'm that mom.  She screeched and instead of letting her throw a Master Fit, I let my daughter take some (PleaseGodDon'tLetThemBeDiseased) grapes from a strange kid in an airport and she was never happier.  She even said "Thenk Yeew!"  She was so proud and I was so defeated.

I'm trying to be strong.  I got my oil changed today and when Sofia climbed on the chairs in the waiting room after I told her not to, I put her in time out right then and there.  She screeched and cried but I got my minute.  She threw a fit in the grocery store when I wouldn't give her my phone and I carried on about my business, ignoring her and she eventually gave up.  Tonight after dinner, she got too close to the fireplace in the apartment.  Drew told her to move away from it, she looked at him and smiled and purposefully stepped closer!  She got a time-out for that one too, but if you could have seen that kid's face?  She knew what the hell she was doing.

And she's only one!  I know she's testing us, finding our boundaries and learning limits, but she's well on her way to spending her formative years in time out!

I guess there's not much else to do but keep at it and pray.  But boy I tell you, after spending fifteen minutes wrestling with her to get one minute in time out, I am pooped!  And then!  When it's over and she puts her little arms around my neck and squeezes me like I know you hate me, but I still love you!  Good GAWD, it's enough to make me want to give up!

Does it ever get easier?  Hint:  Say yes, because otherwise I'm becoming a shut-in, Sofia's getting homeschooled and we're not going to have contact with anyone else EVER.

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. I have commented on approximately zero blogs since having a baby. But I felt compelled. First of all, HIIII! Glad you're in PA. When I get my ish together with two children let's do the outlets (or SOMETHING) again--ok? Glad everything is working out being here, too. I'm impressed you're already doing a moms group (considering I don't do anything remotely like that, ha)--way, way impressed. This stage is hard you're in. They are so all about freedom! all the time! and leave me the eff alone, ma! And I cannot tell you how many times I cringed when my kid went up to another kid/mom/someone begging for food. I'm all NOOOOO! I have stuff! STOP IT! I feed you! stop acting like I don't! It embarrasses me. But the truth is, all kids do it. She doesn't do it anymore--but we had the phase. It WILL end. I think that in the end, I probably would have said "okay ONE grape" and just been done with it. I know in hindsight it's all EW GERMS but really? She'll be ok and it's better than The Great Airport Meltdown. I'm basically just saying, I would have done the same thing. And also? We are on the same page with discipline. We don't use physical anything for discipline--no hitting/spanking/whatever. We do timeouts (but HA, I don't think they work)--but mostly redirection and ignoring when she's acting out. For the most part I think I have pretty polite little girl who in the end knows when she's doing wrong and in the end can always say "I'm sorry mommy" and give a hug because she feels sorry for what she's done (mostly). I think that's really all I can do. I want her to be able to feel how her actions can hurt someone else, not like the feeling, and then in the end (hopefully) NOT be the kid who hits or pushes, etc. She is mostly a compassionate, caring kid and so I say continue doing what you're doing. It WILL work its way out. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out unconditional parenting (Alfie Kohn) and AhaParenting blog. This style works for us. It is based on assuming best intentions of your child and wanting long term emotional health. The crazy thing is that by using positive discipline/unconditional parenting our son is REALLY well behaved. My sister started with her kids after we did with ours and their overnight transformation was insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm checking that out right now! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. I wish I knew what advice to give you, but I definitely don't! I bet you're doing better than you think you are. I'm guessing you'll have moms leaving all sorts of amazing tips here, so I won't even try. :) I will tell you that I think this is completely normal, so don't be hard on yourself. And at least now you have two parents to get "tested" by a toddler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. I always know whatever Sofia is into (good and bad--we are still waiting on all that vocab Sofia has!), mine will be next. So I've got about 2 weeks before I have to figure this out too, I bet! It may have started last night when we went to pick up our carry-out dinner that I called in 20 minutes before and had to wait 26 minutes for it with a 15 month old who wanted to "explore" as well. You best believe I MAILED them a letter today. It is stressful to make a scene. To look out of control. I hate it. And I have no tips yet, but am reading the comments to see what other people say. I actually did use the word "time out" yesterday when she threw the dog food into the dog water for the 5th time in a day. It was a total joke. I'm hoping when I start back to school in a few weeks and she stays with our sitter, I will have more ideas. Stay strong!

    PS- Mine found airport floor Cheerios to eat while I was folding up the stroller. Yes, she ate them. And she is still alive:o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I have 3 kids and still don't have any magic answers about discipline. Distraction is my #1 tool in my arsenal; it works better than anything else out there, from lectures to time-outs. Obviously what works to distract a toddler is different from a 3 or 5 year old (and sometimes toddlers are more easily distracted, but other times not because they get fixated on one thing and just can't let it go!). I think you just have to keep going; keep showing your love; make consistent, clear boundaries that are easy to understand (more applicable for when they're a bit older and can understand abstract concepts like "family rules"); and follow through with your own rules. It's also important to give kids as much autonomy and freedom as you can, within a framework of important, non-negotiable rules. Like, who cares if my kid is running in a relatively empty airport hallway? They're happy and getting their energy out; they're in no danger of getting lost or hurt, so let them go for it!

    We just created a family rule chart with some of the most important things we want for our family. Some are more practical, some are more about how we treat each other, some are to help keep the house in reasonable order, some are more for our souls. You can see it here. Anyway, it's nice to have something concise and easy to understand that you can point to--as they get a bit older, especially--and say, "these are our family rules. We don't do ____ in this family." or "We always do _____ in this family; see, the rule chart says so!"

    But of course let's remember that Sofia is only 17 months old and most of this is way beyond her! Just do your best. Give her lots of hugs, let her play and enjoy herself if there are no real good reasons to stop her, but don't feel bad about stopping her if the situation calls for it. You learn what works to defuse situations for your own child--not that it always does, of course!--and you learn to hit the defuse button when you can see something starting.

    Want an example from today? We were driving home from visiting my sister, about an hour away. All 3 kids were really squirmy and bored. They didn't have anything to do in the car, so they ended up fighting over whatever scraps they could find: an old car, a paint stick, and a hat we got for free at the state fair. Finally after 30 minutes of dealing with on and off bickering and crying, I finally turned to distraction. "Let's sing a song!" Eric started up with "When you're happy and you know it..." and pretty soon the kids were having a great time. They each got turns picking the action, no matter how silly or weird, and so we got all the way home singing that same darn song. But the kids were happy and the fighting stopped. So yeah, distraction is my #1 strategy.

    Oh, and I also believe in giving them attention when they're behaving well, not when they're misbehaving. Kids love attention, even if it's negative (scolding, shouting, etc.) So ignore bad behavior as much as you can, if the situation allows and if you can't successfully redirect their energy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a home daycare provider who deals with one year olds a LOT...I can tell you it DOES get easier! You are doing really great! She is a super smart little gal and she knows what buttons you have and how to push them...and it is COMPLETELY normal!! Everything you said...completely normal! Keep with your discipline methods...be consistent, be loving but firm & she will come to respect her boundaries and that when Mom & Dad say NO...it means NO! PS: The time-outs will get better. DON'T GIVE UP!
    Welcome to Pennsylvania! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUDE! i am so feeling you on this one! my little one can be SO sweet when she wants to be, but the other day she almost had me in tears b/c it's no fun dealing with a crunk two-year old when you're 8 months preggo with round ligament pain in both legs and just want to sit the eff down somewhere and chill at the end of the workday.

    when i threatened to put her toys in time-out for throwing them, can you believe this kid looked me in the eye, brought them over to me and was like "here"? O_o - no words.

    i need to find my copy of "Parenting with Love and Logic" ASAP, but i think i might have packed it somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard good things about that book! There's also another one I've heard of called 'Talking so your kids will listen, Listening so your kids will talk.' I'm about to do some heavy reading!

    Ps, handing you her toys!! I couldn't even... What do you even do when they do that??!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIRL!!! Zoe started having tantrums before ONE- DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF.

    It's embarrassing and although it's completely normal, it makes me feel incompetent because I feel like I look like I cant' handle this baby.

    As far as germs, I say don't worry too much about it. Kids naturally love germs. My child has been picking up people's shoes and licking the bottom. #idieslow But what can you do???? You can't be every where at every moment, just trust that your breast milk is tough actin like Tinactin and she's good.

    Plus, I've read that when they throw tantrums you should walk away. Not enough to lose sight, but just enough to where she doesn't see you reacting. Usually they get right up and follow you because they want a reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm not sure what you *should* do, but i was trying my best not to let her see me tear up. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! You've got to love toddlers testing those limits! I'm not sure there was much else you could have done in that situation. But I WILL be crossing everything for you that those grapes weren't actually diseased!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stalking from Cori's blog....but I just wanted to add...she's so cute that she should just get away with it. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dude, I know! She has this smile and these looks and I'm putty in her hands!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, goodness sakes...you poor thing....an airport meltdown, of all places. :)

    We never used physical punishment for our girls either...they're 24 and 26 now. That doesn't say I never had times where I wanted to lose my ever-lovin' mind and go completely postal and act like a knucklehead and scream at the top of my lungs...but, then who would look the fool? I'll tell you what worked for me, altho' I can say my girls never had a real tantrum. Ever. Why not? Ain't got a clue. Pure luck on my part. Whenever we would go to the store, I'd take their hands when we got out of the car and say, "Oh, girls...let's act like young ladies and I want you on your best behavior and use your indoor voices." On occassion...when they might "think" about acting up in some way (which was ususlly bickering with each other)...I'd say, "If you don't stop (fill in the blank) right now, we're going to the bathroom." And then I'd seal the deal with the Mom Death Glare...you know the look...ya, the one that could make the boogie-man run with fear.

    Well, we NEVER went to the bathroom. To be honest, not sure what I would have done had we ever HAD to make the trip to the bathroom. My girls laugh about it now....they never knew what was in that bathroom...but it DID NOT sound like a good time. lol

    If my girls would fuss loudly about something, I'd speak to them in a whisper and tell them to stop doing whatever was appropriate. Then had to stop making noise in order to hear what I had to say...they can't scream and listen at the same time. Yup, those were good times......

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. *furiously taking notes*

    Thank you so much for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I was gonna be all "well, this is what we do with our kids that seems to work..." but I got sucked into her charm and forgot what I was posting and it just became "ehh, let her get away with it...the end". I believe each child is different and what works for one, will totally not work for the other. For my daughter, who just turned 7, she loves to stay up past her bedtime. She can earn extra time and she can lose it. It will make or break her. For my son who just turned 4 we have the same approach but we take away whatever he seems to love at the moment. If he is heavy duty into his game boy thingy (totally tech term, I know!), we take it. But for my daughter, if we take a toy, she looks at us and shrugs and goes and finds one of the other 5406854687 toys she has. No biggie. I guess what I am saying, watch what they value...and that is where you get them. Hit 'em where it hurts...errrr...I mean...nevermind. :) You seem to be doing a great job. You have it more figured out than you realize. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No one tells you 'terrible twos' actually happen around the 16-18 month mark and last until 3.
    Been through it 4 times. Still the same. Lol!r

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin