Monday, November 5, 2012

NeeNee

At first she would just root.  She would latch on like there was nothing else in the world she wanted, and now that I think about it, that probably was the case.  Then she found her words and began pulling at my shirt, insistently saying "NeeNee, NeeNee."   As she got older and understood more, it became Noosheen.  Too quickly after that she would say, clear as anything, "Nursing, pees (please)."
  3 months old
10 months
She still does that with her hand.

Nursing at 18 months is not the calm, serene bonding experience it used to be.  Sofia pulls at my shirt now, she tries her hardest to undo the hooks of my bra and when she can't, she just pulls my boob out anyway because it's squishy enough to do that now. *le sigh*

She even goes so far as to cover me back up when she's done.  The first time she did that, I involuntarily said 'thank you' and she said 'you're welcome' like that's what she'd always done.  If I'm wearing a shirt that isn't particularly accessible from the top, she'll say "Bah-na, Bah-na! (Bottom - as in, nurse from the bottom, not from the top.) 

Before I had a kid, I always said that if they could ask for it, it's time to be done.  But here I am, with a kid who can not only ask for it, she can (kinda) get it herself and (kinda) put it back when she's done.  So yeah.  I think I missed the mark on that one, because I couldn't imagine weaning her at this point.

She still nurses for naps and bedtime, and when she wakes up in the morning I usually bring her in bed with me to nurse for a little bit before we start our day.  Sometimes she falls back to sleep and we doze for a couple more hours; other times she'll nurse for a minute and she's bouncing on the bed, read to start the day.  But then there's the Bored Nursing.  If there's a lull in the day or she doesn't feel like entertaining herself or being entertained by me, she's pulling at my shirt.  "Nursing! Nursing!"  It could be for a minute, it could be for ten.  I never know and I just roll with it.

There are some days when I'm touched out - I crave my personal space and when she pulls at my shirt, I cringe.  Those times I tell her that nursing has to wait, that she can nurse later and I try to distract her with a toy or book.  Sometimes it works, sometimes she'll have none of it and her cries get louder and more insistent until I give in.  I grit my teeth and pull my shirt down, telling myself that one day soon she'll be done with me and I'll be heartbroken.

I even looked up weaning her on one particularly touched out day.  I even found suggestions for weaning ceremonies.

And that's when I knew I wasn't ready.  The thought of telling my daughter that we can't nurse anymore and mean it for real for real?  I get a lump in my throat and a sadness comes over me. This time is so special and the bond we've created can't be duplicated.  Breastfeeding isn't easy - in the beginning, I was all worried about latching, production and proper diet.  I wanted to make sure that everything I ate was super healthy and wouldn't cause her any issues.  

Now, it's hard in a different way.  I haven't eaten a meal by myself in the longest time.  She'll finish her dinner, ask to get down, and then reach her arms to me, saying 'hold you.'  (She gets the pronouns mixed up and it's the cutest thing in the world.)  Then she latches on and that's how I finish my dinner - trying not to spill any food in her hair.

Sometimes I get annoyed.  It would be nice to eat dinner like a regular person.  It would be nice to have my boobs back.  It would be nice for our relationship to go to the next level.

But then I imagine what exactly that would look like and I get choked up again.  

And I know that neither of us is quite done yet.  

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. What a tough decision this has to be! I'm not looking forward to it personally and my son isn't even here yet! ((One more week, wish me luck!)) Do what is best for you and your sweetpea. You'll know when it's right, or she will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One week, how exciting!

    Yeah, breastfeeding is a journey of emotions, that's for sure! I don't know how this is all going to play out, but I know that when it does end I will be an absolute mess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son's just 1 year now and he's still going strong in the boob department. :) He doesn't really say many words yet, but he knows that I understand him if he tugs at my shirt or fishes around for the clasp on my nursing bra! I know what you mean: as much as I want to have my body to myself for a while, I can't imagine making either of us give up breastfeeding just yet. I love having that time when I put him to sleep and knowing that - if all else fails - a boob can always make things better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, looking at that first picture of her nursing makes me really miss the newborn stage when they'd just lie there and nurse. Inga's still nursing but my milk supply has pretty much gone to zero with this pregnancy (always happens) so there's nothing coming out. Consequently she doesn't nurse very well--mostly just hangs out with my boob in her mouth and takes a few half-hearted sucks. I don't mind too much; it's only twice a day at this point. Hope she re-learns once the baby is here and milk is flowing again!

    It's amazing how young they still seem at this age. They're doing so many things and seem so grown up one minute, but then you look at them and realize they're so little, really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl!!!! This post made me tear up. I miss Zoe nursing. She weaned herself (which I"m thankful of, I cannot imagine denying her.) Just last week, she caught me mid-dress (I had no shirt on) and we started playing, she looked at my breast with curiosity, acted like she was gonna feed (she got REALLY close with her mouth) and started laughing! So cute, but it's still a little heart breaking. I wanted to be one of those mom's that was "still" breastfeeding but she chose different.



    Good for you for continuing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. girrrlllfrannnn you stop when YOU and HER are ready and that's all that matters. It's funny though how things change when you're a mom, though. So funny. You just can't know till you're there. Some days I have no idea when I'll nurse Lucy till..maybe I'll go real long, or maybe she'll up and quit on me one day like her sister did (at 11 months). Whatever. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Just do your thang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post. :) I never thought I'd be an "extended" breastfeeder, but now at 11 months, I cannot even imagine weaning yet, and could easily see us continuing for a long time. My husband keeps asking when I will quit, but I don't want to yet, so we won't. :) Great pics of you two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son is 18 months and he's a very similar nurser to Sofia. I never thought I'd be an extended nurser either, and yet here I am, hoping he'll nurse until he's at least 3 years old. It's definitely not what it used to be, what with him doing gymnastics while latched onto my breast, but I love it. I hope to do a weaning ceremony at some point, but part of my hope is that he'll be old enough to understand, which is why I'm hoping he's at least 3 when he weans. I've started a letter to him like this one (http://www.thehuckablog.com/2009/08/29/to-whom-it-may-concern-my-nursling-on-day-1054/), documenting all the places we've nursed.


    Also, my son has started giving me a raspberry on my tummy right before he latches on. Cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, the "your welcome" part is absolutely hilarious!!! I love it. I have such mixed feeling about the end of my nursing with M. I nursed her one night before bed, got on a plane early the next morning and was gone for 6 weeks. M had completely forgotten about it by the time I returned. And apparently never mentioned it anyway when I was gone. it was over. While I feel sad about it, in many ways it was probably the easiest way to end nursing. She didn't notice because I wasn't there to remind her that it was an option. And while I miss it in many ways, in other ways I absolutely love having my body back completely to myself.
    thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post brought me back to memory lane. I breast fed my son til he was 2 years old. He was very attached to it. For the same reasons you gave and just wanting to have my boob (and freedom) back I decided I had enough. Knowing it would never work out if he keeps seeing me, I decided to go AWOL and stayed at my mother's home for a couple of days. When I came back I plastered my boobs with band aids and when he tried opening my shirt, I said I have a boo boo there and he never bothered me after that. After that, whenever he thinks of nursing, he says "Mommy, boo boo?". I think I missed nursing more than he did and talk about the physical pain. It was very sad, I missed the bonding and closeness but you know what, he's seven now and he came out ok, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember nursing at our church once and an elderly woman came over to encourage me for it. She told me about when her daughter was little. She told her "I think it's time we stop nursing you." Her daughter said "But why mommy?! I like nursing!" She replied back "Because we can have a conversation about it!" lol

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin