Thursday, January 3, 2013

Resolutions on a Thursday

Nothing like starting the New Year with some thoughts!  And to kick it off....


Like the rest of the free world, my number one resolution is to get fit.  I'm skinny, but I have zero muscle tone, and it's gross.  I'm flab everywhere: boobs, belly, arms, legs, ass.  Everywhere.  I can't do anything about the boobs, but everything else can stand to get a little firmer.  And I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda smitten with the Bodyrock girl.  But I'm not gonna lie, I usually watch the workouts on my laptop while eating cookies.  I don't think that's how you get her body. 

However, I need to get serious about at least trying to get fit because I have T-minus 12 days to get into a bikini and this body is NOT ready.  That's right, we get to escape this dreary Pennsylvania weather and spend ten glorious days on the beach!  In a couple of short weeks, we're heading to lovely Puerto Rico!

When Drew told me he had to go there for work, I was like "Cool, when are *WE* leaving?"  As IF I'd let him go to Puerto Rico in January without me!  I'm looking forward to laying on the beach, speaking Spanish, eating amazing food (thank God for my one-piece suit) and not having to cook or clean for ten days.  Drew's co-worker is bringing her family as well so it's going to be a great time!  I've already got our outfits ready and I got the cutest fedora for Sofia so we're all set! 


Thank you so much for the compliments on my canvas!  Since a couple of you asked, here's how you do it - it's super easy.
Get your kid to paint on a canvas, or do it yourself if you don't have a kid.  Actually, fingerpainting is kinda fun but if you want to do it grown-up style, you could paint stripes, zig-zags or any other pattern that makes you happy.
I bought these letters at Target; at four inches, they were the largest I could find.  However, you want stick on letters and these aren't stick-on.  I didn't find that out until I'd opened the package, and I didn't want to take them back and try to find the right ones.  These were more like post-its, with a small strip of lame adhesive across the top of each letter.  So I made do and placed my letters and took a small craft brush and s-l-o-w-l-y painted around each and every letter with white house paint.  Why house paint?  It's the only white paint we had and I was too lazy to get other stuff.  You should probably buy craft paint and do it right, instead of all ghetto like me.  AND, if you have stick-on letters, you can just paint right over the whole canvas and peel up the letters all at once.  I recommend doing it that way.  

Once I had two coats of paint on the canvas I pulled my letters off and voila!  So, to recap:  buy a canvas, colored paint, stick-on letters, white paint and have at it!  It's not hard at all, and yours will look better than mine because you'll do it right.

As far as my other resolutions go, they have to do with getting back bits of the old me and rededicating myself.  I want to:
  • Wear some makeup, even if it's just lip stuff, every day.  I feel better when I take a little time to pamper myself.
  • Read at least one book a month.  I spend so much time on the computer that I've forgotten what it's like to curl up with a good book.  Now that Sofia's sleeping more consistently, I have my nights back and I want to read things that don't have to do with parenting or finances.  I want to read for the pleasure of reading.  To that end, we're going to the library tomorrow and I'm getting my library card.  It has been over twenty years since I've had one and that is just a shame.
  • Do a home workout at least once a week.  God knows there are enough ideas out there; I just need to find one that works for me.
  • Sew one thing a month.  I have a space downstairs with my sewing stuff and I have bags of things I want to fix.  It's time to get started.
  • Do one crafty thing every other week.  I think once a week might be pushing it, but twice a month seems manageable.  I've already made a jewelry holder that I'm dying to blog about, but it's not quite done yet.  I have a whole to-do list for the house and getting it written out makes it much less overwhelming and scary.
  • Be more consistent with meal planning.  It's such a chore and I always end up putting it off, but then we're scrambling to find stuff to eat, which becomes a bigger chore and then my head explodes.  This is the year that I make peace with cooking and food.
I'm sure if I sat here, I could come up with a mile long list of stuff I want to get accomplished, but this is a good enough place to start.  I'm hoping that I'll remain accountable now that I've put my goals out there and I'll definitely check back from time to time to see how I'm doing.

So what about you?  Do you buy into the whole 'new year, new you' thing?  Have you made any resolutions?  Do you have any tips for me on how to hate food less?  Maybe you've unlocked the secret to watching workout videos while eating cookies *and* getting six-pack abs while you do it?  Maybe?



Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. That's so funny we wrote that at the same time. Yeah I love to read and it really is more fulfilling than browsing online. I'm going to get Gone Girl and see how that goes. Let me know what you pick up.

    I totally forgot about meal planning. I hate it. I hate picking out stuff, getting the groceries and then hearing "chicken again?" Or "didnt we just eat pasta?". I can't think of a better description than a head explosion either. Nice and violent.

    The reason L still has her bink is 100% that Matt wouldn't be able to handle her crying through the night for the first few nights we take it away, so I can identify with your nursing comment in a way.

    And really? PR? Have a blast in the sun...you must Instagram daily:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list! :) Have a BLAST in Puerto Rico!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a fabulous time in Puerto Rico. That finger painting project is a great idea, I would love to do something like that with Zoe.

    I didn't make any resolutions because I never ended up keeping them. Why even have the guilt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the detailed instructions. i couldn't quite tell if it was the same canvas that Sofia had painted or not. Puerto Rico will be a BLAST! can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is quite a list. Good for you. I find it really helpful to use a board or magnet meal plan sheet to write your plan, then go from there. Michael's always has the meal plan magnet notebooks on sale. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin