Monday, January 14, 2013

Kicking and screaming

I knew it was going to happen.  It was bound to happen sometime.  Yet, when it actually did I was surprised, caught off guard even.

Ladies, sometime last week........

I got old.
Not quite this old, but you know what I mean.
source - incidentally, an interesting post on being old.  I guess I'm not the only one.

I looked in the mirror one day and saw fine lines under my eyes for the very first time.  Upon closer inspection, I was shocked.  Have the pores on my cheeks and forehead always been this huge?  They were craters, for pete's sake.
Not quite this huge, but you know what I mean.

The creases in my face from sleeping on my stomach don't go away as fast as they used to.  I'm not a morning person - it's legendary, actually - but I really look it now.  The bags under my eyes don't fade as quickly as before, and I swear this all happened overnight.  I went to bed looking decent, I woke up an Old Hag.

Now, rather than retire to my bed to live out the rest of my days in seclusion, I'm choosing Plan B.  That is, fight this shit until I have no fight left.  I've heard of 'growing old gracefully' and that won't be me.  I want to be fly til I die.
Why thank you Internet, for illustrating my feelings oh so well.
Now if it only came in women's sizes.

It's time to do work, people.  I was fine with gray hair - I've been gray since I was 23 and I religiously dye the crap out of my hair.  But wrinkles are a whole different story.  There are beauty creams and potions and serums and oils for everything that ails you, and I'm prepared to try them all.  I'm completely okay with crushing up beetle wings and putting the paste on my crow's feet, if it'll make them go away.  If you tell me butterfly tears will give me my old face back, hold on while I get my net.

Now I know that there's nothing short of plastic surgery (which I'm also completely okay with) that will completely erase the effects of time, and even that can get scary.
It's nonsense like this that makes me scared to do anything
but complain about getting old.

I'm not at the plastic surgery stage yet, but I really do want to do something about the fine lines and texture of my skin.  I'm actually starting with natural stuff like milk and honey and mashed-up avocado and stuff like that.  I want to see what that does before I start shelling out the dolla dolla bills for the serums made from unicorn spit.  

Have you experienced this yet?  Did you wake up one morning and not recognize the person staring back at you?  My outside is starting to not match my inside because I don't really feel old.  In my mind, I'm still a spry young chicken.  Crap, isn't that something an old person would say?

Regardless, I'm not going down without a fight.  So, let me have it, you amazing youthful readers.  What's your go-to beauty routine?  The cream you can't live without?  The moisturizer that makes your skin as smooth as a baby's bottom?  Is it made from unicorn spit?

I need help y'all.  I'm not ready to be a full-fledged Old Hag yet.

**PS, I know that beauty comes from within, being confident makes you beautiful, and having a good outlook on life will make you glow, but fine lines, people.  Under the eyes.  Creases on the face.  It's not okay.

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Oh my, do I ever know what you are talking about! I really started noticing it this past summer. Luckily my genetics have me looking younger than my age, although probably barely now! I had a baby last January and I swear nothing has aged me faster than a kid has (I just turned 40)! But I've seen great results over the years with making sure I drink enough water everyday, getting regular exercise and sleep (ha! saw that go out the window with the baby!), and using some good skin care products. Everyone's skin is different, but I use a gentle OTC cleanser (CeraVe) and I really like Philosophy skin care products for anti-aging and exfoliating (I have NO affiliation to the company, I just like their products!!). I like their When Hope is Not Enough serum mixed with the Turbo C booster in the morning (and a moisturizer) and then a retinol night treatment (and a moisturizer). Wash skin at morning and night (especially if I've worn makeup that day) and after workouts. However, using retinol while pregnant, trying to get pregnant, etc., is not recommended (although topical retinols have NOT been shown to cause problems, only oral, so I'm just extra cautious). I'm now pregnant with #2, so I've been w/o my skin care regimen for nearly 2 years now. Argh! I feel ya....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your second little one! And I'm so with you - babies age you like no other!

      I've heard good things about CeraVe - it's next to try on my list of cleansers. I've struck out with Cetaphil, Purpose (gentle as water my ass), and now I'm on Neutrogena, but I'm not pleased with it. My mom uses Philosophy and really likes it, so I'll have to check it out.

      I'm good on my water intake, but exercise and sleep? Psssshhh. I have got to get better at that.

      Delete
  2. your post reminds me of this article from slate.com today: http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/01/04/what_does_it_feel_like_to_be_a_hot_girl_who_gets_old.html?wpisrc=obnetwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting article. I can only hope that when I get to the point where it's cool to be old, I won't be marginalized like the author suggests.

      Delete
  3. BAH! First - you're still a hottie. Don't you worry. :) Now... I have NO idea what to buy/do to make your face look like Sofia's again... but you better let me know when you figure it out! HAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I plan to try it all and blog every step of the way!

      Delete
  4. You look amazing! And no i'm not just saying that, you really do! I actually wrote on my 2013 Goal list to wear night cream daily, I have to stop kidding myself I'm in my early 30s and need to be diligent! lol :) I love using Neutrogena on my skin and lots of lotion, i swear sine I had my baby 19mos ago, my skin is going though a dry spell, smh :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm on the hunt now for a really good moisturizing night cream.

      Delete
  5. You do look beautiful but I feel you. I am also realizing that genetics is only part of the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Age is beautiful mama. I think of wrinkles as battle scars, of texture, of a life lived on skin. You have a story in your body now and that's just as beautiful. I know that's irritating to hear from a college student, but its just mah 2 cents :)I'm studying beauty for some research I'm presenting in march, I love conversations like this.

    CAN I INTERVIEW YOU? I'm studying how intersections of gender and femininity are expressed between black and latin women. I'd love your opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I was doing fine until I went to the makeup counter at Macy's to buy some more moisturizer and the lady wrinkled her brow, looked closely at me and said, "You're not using a fine line cream, are you?" No, but I will be now! Bitch.

    I actually just popped over to say that my husband's nickname for me in the morning is Little Black Cloud. And yet he still tries to talk/joke with me first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Even though we don't know each other, you are my net-sister :-). Same age, equal crunchiness (although I am a little more OCD than you), I live in TX but used to live in PA and we're both blatinas. Although you got the color I always wanted. I'm pale. Anyways, I had to chime in on this one.... First off, I know just what you mean (btw, you're beautful and have nothing at all to worry about). For me, its lines and tired eyes. I know they say "black don't crack" but apparently the white/Latin part of me CRACKS. UGH!! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a net-sister and you have no blog?! What's that about?

      Delete
  9. Tilting at windmills, m'lady, tilting at windmills...I suggest growing older gracefully but not with reckless abandon.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin