Saturday, July 27, 2013

I will break these chains

One afternoon, Drew and I were sitting at the dining room table and I asked him what he thought about spanking.  It hadn't occurred to me to ask him before we had a kid and I suddenly found myself getting nervous.  I had no idea where he stood on the subject and in my mind, I began planning how Sofia and I would steal away in the night, should he answer wrong.  It seemed like a long time, but it was no more than a second or two when he looked me in the eye and said,

"Belts are for keeping your pants up."

No lie, it was the single most romantic thing he has ever said to me.  I'm not the mushy gushy type, but I never loved him more than I did in that moment.  I felt safe.

That's how I know the cycle stops with me.  I have already made different choices than the ones my mother made.  My daughter's father is different from my own.  Her childhood is and will be completely different from mine and I did that.  I am breaking these chains.

For one thing, I respect Sofia as a person.  The parent-child relationship is the only one in existence where the balance of power is so skewed.  Actually there is no balance; the parent has 100% of the power 100% of the time.  Sofia didn't choose me or Drew.  She didn't choose this life and she is completely powerless over her world.  Plus, as a brand new person on this Earth, she doesn't have the skills and knowledge that I do; she is learning as she goes.  Unfortunately, you don't hear enough talk about people respecting children because too often they are treated like second-class citizens in our society.  This notion that they should be seen and not heard is not as old and out-dated as I'd like it to be.  Children are seen as objects to control and break and conform to some idea of what a person should be.  There is no thought to the fact that they already came into this world as fully-formed people and as parents, it's our job to keep them safe as they discover their place on this planet, just as we do everyday.

I certainly wasn't raised that way; I had no opinions, I wasn't respected and I was definitely controlled.  I try not to blame my parents because I want to believe that they simply didn't know better, as we all only have one story to tell.  I'm not always successful and I still have a good amount of resentment towards them.  However, I do know better so I'm going to do better.

I tell Sofia I love her a million times a day, and more importantly so does her father.  We are breaking these chains.  She is safe and happy and because her environment is positive and encouraging, she is confident about exploring and she knows that when things get too big or scary, she has a soft place to land.  When she falls, she is quick to get up and brush herself off, saying "I'm okay Mommy."  And when she isn't okay, she knows that she can come to me for hugs and kisses and reassurance.  A lot of it seems like a no-brainer but a lot of times it doesn't happen, and I certainly remember times when I could have used a hug after falling, physically and metaphorically.

We don't hit or yell either.  Again, it seems like a no-brainer but we all know it's not, and I will never understand those who think that those are effective teaching tools.  Sofia is 100% dependent on me/us for everything in her world, she has nowhere near the maturity, coping skills or knowledge that we have, yet it's her fault for doing something 'wrong?'  It's her fault if she has a meltdown in Target?  Never mind that it's past naptime, or she's hungry, or this is the fifth store I dragged her to, but no, she's freaking out just to piss me off?  Really?  And so she should get smacked for that?  Really?

I have the power; I have the control.  It's up to me to keep my cool at all times in all things.  It's up to me to know her limits, read her cues and act accordingly.  And God knows, sometimes I have to drag her to five stores and sometimes we have to be out past naptime and God KNOWS I've been the Target meltdown mom because sometimes life happens like that, but it's never her fault.  

It's not easy and I've had to put myself in timeout to catch my breath sometimes.  It's frustrating and there sure have been times when I fantasize about escaping just for a few days just so I'm not on call 24-7.  But that's usually when I'm sleep deprived and the house is dirty and the laundry is a mile high and she just won't take a nap so I can get stuff done.  Actually, that's how I spent this past week.

But then, just as I reach the end of my rope, she'll go down for a nap and I can breathe again.  Or I hang out with one of my girlfriends and she's going through the same thing with her son and we draw strength from each other, just enough to get back in the ring.  And a new day begins.

My daughter is the coolest kid on the planet.  She's smart, she's opinionated, she's funny, and she's an absolute joy in my life.  I wish she wouldn't fight me for diaper changes and it would be cool if she wouldn't pee on the floor, but I just remember that she's figuring things out and she's definitely not doing it on purpose.  I respect her, I will keep her safe and not a day will go by that I don't kiss her a million times and tell her I love her.

It's my job and I love it.  The cycle stops with me; I will break these chains and I will do better.

................................................

Thank you for listening and I think that we should lighten things up around this joint, and what better way to shake off the old than to get down with some new?  Check it!
First there was this.
Then there was this.
Then came this.

Let's talk decorating, shall we?  We've been switching and changing all around the house and I have some fun and happy stories to tell!  It's about time for that, right?  Anyway, I'll be back soon with all the details and I hope you like them.  

Have a wonderful weekend!


Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. You're a wonderful mom. Keep your head up sweetie!

    How's baby bean!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      The Situation is hanging on, to the best of my knowledge! The nausea is completely gone and the fatigue has even lessened, which is so nice. The cravings are still in full force and I've been eating everything in sight, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :-)

      Delete
  2. I second that. You are a wonderful mom and strong woman. I agree 100% and wish the rest of the world did too. Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally 100% agree with this post. Children need to be taught respect, but it shouldn't be taught through violence. I don't get the parents who push the kids past meal times and nap times to do just one more activity and then get mad when the child has a break down. That is YOUR fault parent! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this post. As a single parent, sometimes it's really difficult to remember, amidst everything else I'm doing solo, that my kid is a person and needs a chance to speak his mind, figure things out, and make mistakes. He will be 11 next Monday and is growing into this awesome person with opinions and q perspective very different from mine, and it's important that I stop to listen to him, to encourage him to be a free thinker, and to lead him to the right conclusions when he's a bit off. I can't do that if I'm yelling or fussing (which, I will admit, I do from time to time). Even though I don't spank (the child comes to my chin now!), I do need to breathe deep and stop fussing. Thank you for this gentle and awesome reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hat is off and I'm bowing low because you have the hardest job there is. You are doing a great job and your son will turn out to be a great person. It's never easy but it's always worth it. Big hugs to you!!

      Delete
  5. Every parent does things differently. you have to do what works for you. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking something similar as I went and got some cookies to enjoy while I read your post. We just moved in to a new house and my son is having some sleep issues. He had finally (FINALLY!) started sleeping until 4 or 5 in the morning without waking up, and now he's waking up a lot again. I go in there and he's just crying and crying, and I tell him, "I'm here, I will always come for you and I will always be here for you." My dad did a good job in parenting, but my mom sucked at it big time. It gives me so much pleasure to be here for my son and to honor the feelings that he's having. One of the biggest arguments I had with my mom was when I was a teenager and I wanted her to say thank you when I did things around the house. She refused. It wasn't that I wanted her undying appreciation, but a short thank you goes a long way! I can see now that I was just trying to get some respect from her (the kind of respect you would give any human being) and she didn't think that was something I deserved. Nice, huh?

    And one of the things that hurts my heart the most is how kids can be abused and neglected, and all the kids want is their parents to love them. Kids will forgive ANYTHING. That bothers me to no end and makes me sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, and yes it stops here and with the help of God, Drew and Sofia you too are healing. So happy for this post, glad you are breaking the chains!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breaking the chains! YES! :) I love this post so much!!!! And I LOVE that third rug. Like a lot. Like I want one for my dining room. HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you are acknowledging your past and using it to make a fabulous future for your child!

    I am the same way. My dad was a tough displinarian growing up and for that reason, I only see him as such. To this day, although my dad has been in my life ALL my life, I am not close to him. He didn't talk much, he just spanked us or yelled. I don't remember them being followed up with many (if any) praises.

    He was the sole provider for most of my life so he was always at work, while my mom took care of us at home. She was probably exhausted taking care of four children and we didn't have a ton of money so I think my parents were stressed.

    But all of that comes into play in how we are raising Zoe. No belts for punishment. I have tapped her hands, but I will only do that if she's doing something to endanger herself. (ie taking out the plastic socket things). I tell her I love her CONSTANTLY, daily! I want to encourage her to talk and communicate with me and J. I want them to have the relationship neither of us have with our dads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such great taste, Desiree. And the mirrored piece is EVERYTHING. The new rug is awesome, the shapes add a nice layer to the room. Actually, the shapes kinda go with the tufted texture on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was just so... real and honest and amazing. My husband and I talk a lot about breaking the chains too and have also decided not to hit our son. There are still so many other ways that kids are treated like second class citizens and it has always really, really bothered me when someone treated my son like that. Like "awww he is crying how cute"... he is communicating something! Anyway, beautiful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin