Tuesday, July 9, 2013

This is the situation

Thank you all for the overwhelming support and love after that last post.  It means the world to me and I'm going to answer every email I received.  I've read them over and over again and I'm processing your words as much as I am my feelings.  More than anything, I'm comforted that I'm not alone in this situation.  For better or worse, there are more than a few of us who have really hit the parent jackpot. \sarcasm\  My only hope is that I'm able to do everything possible so that Sofia doesn't end up feeling the same way about me.

And speaking of kids...

Let me tell you a quick story...

When I last saw my doctor after my most recent miscarriage, we talked about next steps.  I was thrown because I found out I was pregnant the day before I was due to have my period, I did my Heparin within seconds of getting that positive test, yet I still had a miscarriage.  Unfortunately, even if I did everything right, if a poor quality egg gets fertilized it doesn't matter when I do the Heparin; the pregnancy won't last.


I told you it wasn't my fault!  
I'm the innocent party here!
*Yes uterus, I'm sorry.  You do good work.*

*Look.  Somebody has to take responsibility for this.*

I don't have a fertility issue; that much is clear.  But my eggs are old and blind and run into walls and don't know what they're supposed to be doing with themselves.  There are a couple in there that still have their shit together so it's really just a crapshoot every month.  If a smart one breaks out of the ovary, I might have a chance.  You know, if they can make it past the high FSH, the clotting disorder and the Old Hag-itis.  We're talking about a major uphill battle from the jump.

Yet somehow, four weeks after my miscarriage I found myself staring at a pee stick with the word 'pregnant' on it.  It was two days before my scheduled period and I was supposed to continue with my testing at the RE, and they really didn't want me to get pregnant before they figured out what else might be causing the miscarriages.  I shoved the stick in Drew's face and said "You're going to get me in so much trouble with my doctor!  I told you I was going to get pregnant!"  He rolled his eyes at me and kept on making his lunch for work.  

I called the doctor that afternoon, all apologetic.  "Hiiii, it's Desiree.  So um, funny story!  I know we were going to continue with testing my eggs and whatnot and haha guess what!  Turns out I'm pregnant, don't be mad!  So um, I guess I need to come see you? Okay, byeeee!"  They called me later and we set up a time to come have my first ultrasound.  I wasn't yet going to be six weeks and I was certain I was going to have another miscarriage before then, but we kept the appointment just in case.  Commence the pins and needles.

From that second, I was on high alert.  Every twinge, every cramp and of course every bathroom trip was Miscarriage Watch: June 2013.  It sucked and my nerves started to fray and it was in that state that I arrived for my ultrasound.  I was 5w6d.

Of course I brought Sofia with me, which seemed to bother the ultrasound tech. 
Her:  Oh, you've got your little one with you.  
Me:  Yup, it's the two of us today.  
H:  She's not in school? 
M:  No, this isn't a school day for her. 
H:  You didn't get a babysitter or something?
M:  (Damn bitch, what's your problem with my kid?)  No, she's with me. 
H:  No daycare-
M:  NO.

So yeah, she was weird.  I felt like she was unnecessarily brusque with the wand and kind of shoved it up in there but Sofia was with me, so I bit my tongue.  After taking pictures of my ovaries, she got to the main event.
  

It's kind of blurry, but doesn't it look a little like a wedding ring?

She took her measurements and said that I was measuring 6w1d, which is a good thing and she settled on the teeny tiny flicker that was the heartbeat.  It still trips me out to see that stuff but she was quick to bring me right back down by telling me it was slow and she was less than professional about it.  I was like "Is that the heartbeat?"  "Yes but it's slow.  It can go either way at this point.  Because it's slow.  The heartbeat is there but it's slow which means it can stop.  Because the heartbeat is slow.  The embryo has a slow heartbeat.  It's beating but it's slow.  I've seen them speed up, but it could stop.  You know, because it's slow."

I wanted to punch her.  Like I don't know from losses.  Like I don't know enough to keep my hope in check.  But I said nothing as I got dressed and went to the talk with the nurses.  They gave me the regular spiel - rest, drink lots of water, don't eat deli meat, all that.  I wanted to be like, You see my healthy two-year-old sitting here right?  I've done this before.  

And then the Mack Truck of Nausea slammed into me and dumped its contents all over me:  Cramps, Headaches, Loss of Appetite coupled with Ravenous Hunger and that's where I've been since then.  Nearly every afternoon I get terrible nausea with migraine-like headaches and I've been having intermittent cramps like my period is about to start, which of course freak me the F out, because I don't remember having that with Sofia.  I'm down for the count from 3pm until I go to bed.  

One night, I begged Drew to make his own dinner as I couldn't get off the couch.  The man went and made fish.  FISH.  I wanted someone to rip my nose off my face.  But I don't vomit; I just stay nauseated and that was one of the worst nights ever.  Another night, I was laying in bed, praying to die when I'd just found the perfect spot.  The covers were right, my pillow was in the perfect position and my body was nestled in for what promised to be a restful night's sleep.

And then I had to pee.  And then I *had* to have some fettucini alfredo.  I literally burst into tears because I didn't want to get out of bed, but *you* try telling your fetus-hijacked body not to pee or eat fettucini alfredo.  So I got out bed, sobbing, and got in the car at 9:30 at night to go to the store to get some Pasta Roni, crying nearly the whole way.  Good times y'all.

The passing days meant more hunger, more nausea and more worrying that I was going to miscarry any minute.  It was also during this time that the other bomb dropped.  I was a mess and my follow-up appointment was supposed to be this Friday, but yeah right.  I called them yesterday and begged them to fit me in, which they did and that's where I was at 11 this morning.
Why does my doctor's office have to be at the end of this 
ridiculously long and unnecessarily dramatic hallway?
It makes me feel like I'm walking to my doom.

I was alone this time; Sofia had dance class at 11, so Drew took off from work to take her.
Please die from the cuteness of the dad taking his daughter to 
Mommy and Me dance class.

Anyway!  It's the same ultrasound tech and I was ready to fight her.  Let her say something about my kid not being with me!  Let her!

Lucky for her, she didn't but she still wasn't gentle with the wand.  I actually gripped the table was like "Jesus!  Why does it hurt?!"  Bitch didn't even apologize.  I'm done with her.  Ovary check and once again, the big show.
I give you:  The Situation.
Or Snooki.  Not sure yet.

I completely blame the mainstream media for this fetus name; I take no responsibility.  I have never seen even a part of one episode of Jersey Shore, but I saw that picture, and that looks like a teeny tiny fist pump and that's what immediately came to mind.  It is the media's fault that fist pump=Jersey Shore=The Situation.  Sorry fetus.  It is what it is.

I'm 7w3d and still measuring two days ahead and my miscarriage risk has dropped to 2%.  I know better than to dance in the street but I do feel a little bit better.  I will go back in another ten days and if I'm looking good then they will release me to my OB.  I'm nervous as hell that as soon as he lets me go that I'm going to miscarry again, but none of it is up to me.  I can only be thankful that I've gotten this far.

As for the family situation, of course my dad doesn't know, but neither does my mom.  I guess I'll call her this afternoon, but it's so weird.  I haven't talked to her since the day I called and was like "So!  Hey there!  I don't know what you've done today, but I just got off the phone with MY SISTER."  My brother also doesn't know and I haven't spoken with him since we got into a huge fight when I went back to KC.  We've since exchanged a couple of terse emails and I don't know where things are headed with us.  I do hope that we can have some semblance of a relationship but there's a possibility that we won't be able to.  That remains to be seen.

But for now, in this moment, I have a teeny tiny fist-pumping fetus inside me, giving me wrinkles and gray hairs of worry when it's not giving me migraines and nausea and hunger pangs that make me want to chew my arm off.  My dear friend Gem told me I have permission to fight this baby when it makes its appearance.  I just might.

Just as soon as I eat something.  I'm starving.

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Yay! Hooray! I was behind several posts, so I just read and caught up. What a month you've had! I'm sooooo happy to read that baby is doing well in there! Saying a prayer that life settles down for you and your peanut keeps fist-pumping away in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm behind too and WOWSERS you have a lot going on right now, don't you? You should throw in another home improvement project for good measure. :)

    I'll be sending positive energy into the universe on your behalf.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I was so hoping that this would be the next post I read from you. SO thankful that you had good news at your appt toady!

    Also, that picture? I die of the cuteness. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So your due Feb 22nd?! (We are too!) We are having #2 - and have yet to announce it to anyone or on the blog. But I was too excited when I saw you are 7w3d too. I'm SO glad the appointment went well today, and little babe was fist pumping for you to show you they are doing great!

    Hopefully the nausea subsides in the next few weeks (which sounds like weeks of misery!). I've been miserably sick too - and just thinking there is another 3-10+ weeks of this makes me (almost) second guess this!

    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! YAY! I've been waiting for this blog post! I'm so glad the ultrasound went well, even if the tech was crappy! I'm so in love with your little fist-pumping baby. You fist pump all the way to 40 weeks little one! :)

    As for the daddy and me dance class... I die. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that daddy and daughter picture is just AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this post! Stick baby stick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHHH I love hearing good news ;) So happy to see that baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yey for nausea! That means your beta is probably very high, that's good news!
    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay - this is amazing news! Will be keeping you & that little fist-pumping fetus in my prayers! Love you ;)

    Oh & did I miss something??? Did you say that you have a sister??? What the...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crap. I got nothing. Wow. It sure does pay to tune into this here blog.

    But praying for your stubborn fetus, of course. ;)

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really nice to be able to read the blog of the person living my identical life!

    I had a miscarriage in February, and then the next cycle that was normal, I got pregnant. But I also was bleeding and had cramping for about a week. Every time I went to the bathroom, I braced myself. So I made an appointment for my ultrasound for when I would be 6w1d. When I went in, the nurse was like, "I think it's too soon and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. We probably won't see anything." I said, "That's okay, I'm ready for this." "I think you're really setting yourself up for disappointment." Got it. Message received. You think I'm dumb. But I've been here more times in the past year than I can count. This isn't my first rodeo. And lo and behold, a heartbeat. That's when I started ugly crying. I'm 10 weeks now, and I still brace myself every time I go to the bathroom. I'm taking progesterone suppositories, so I have a sensation of fluid coming out of me every once in a while, and even though I know in my head it's the progesterone cream, I prepare myself for the heartbreak. Fingers crossed for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I'm praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS LADY! I am so very happy to hear this news and will be thinking of you and your little fist pumper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this baby stuck around for a reason. You may have lost some family members but you will gain a new, awesome, innocent, perfect one in less than a year! How fitting! Congrats! And by the way, I have a beautiful cradle to give to you for this baby's arrival. Love you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! I belong to the "my family sucks" club. I also feel as though I belong to a soap opera family and that I am sure some writer would make millions on my story because you just can't make this stuff up. It hasn't been easy and I just made a huge decision that was extremely hard, but am feeling better and better about it every day. I met my father when I was 12, as well as two sisters I didn't know about and a step mother...and my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins from that side of the family. I gave it a good go for a few years, but you just can't force yourself into a family you don't even know. And genetics vs. how you are brought up sure make you think about things when you meet your half siblings and they are so very different from you. I became close with my siblings (who are both younger than I am) for a very long time, until our differences really began to stick out and they are just not people that I can relate to well or even like very much. They are both extremely selfish, mean, judgemental and act very entitled. I think for years I made excuses for them because of our family situation, but it became evident that they never wanted to better themselves and I just can't be a part of that and be around all of that negativity. So...when you see shows on TV that show a reconsiliation between family members who have met for the first time and they are running to each other hugging and crying-so not real!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post just made my Wednesday.

    First off, those horrible God-foresaken cramps is what I had with Zoe.... why I didn't know I was pregnant until AFTER my cycle was due- because it hurt so bad and I just kept doing the underwear check and just knew Aunt Flo was coming... but the heffa neva' showed up.

    Now, I've got the lovely Zoe. Thanks to God for missed periods. lol

    I'm absolutely ELATED to read about how this baby is doing and yes, please fight him/her after this is all done because you've been through the ringer.

    No one can call you weak, that's for sure.

    About the parents, I think you should wait.... sit on it. Reason being, you are freshly preggars. We all know how crucial this time is (I'm 6 weeking over here too!) and you know it may turn into a confrontation so just make them wait.

    And lastly, Who the F hired that jackazz technician? I seriously CAN'T. (I didn't do so good with my non-cursing.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.S. Drew + Sofia = gutwrenching adorableness. Your family is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So happy for you re: the baby news. Not so for your family drama. I too found out about a half sister i had from my dad. She was about 10 months old when we found out she existed, so obviously we found out Dad had been cheating on his wife (my step mother) too. It was really strange to say the least. I'm glad that your scan went well, and can't wait to follow this little baby and watch it grow and join your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. prayers for you my friend!

    That pic of drew and sofia made me smile so big

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin