Friday, July 12, 2013

In process: The sister

The last time I went to KC, I got into a huge fight with my brother the second day I was there.  It was awesome. \sarcasm\  We didn't see or talk to each other for the rest of my visit and we didn't talk for several days after that.  I don't have the greatest relationship with my brother, but it's not horrible.  At least, it *wasn't* horrible.  After all, he photographed and took videos of Sofia's birth and was the only non-medical person in the room the entire time I was in labor.  We have a familial bond but like any other sibling relationship, we've had our tough times.  

So one Sunday afternoon, I sat at the computer to send him an email, as I do much better with the written word than I do over the phone.  Plus, things between us were still kind of tense and a phone conversation might have been too close for comfort.  I wanted to cover all my bases and make sure my email reached him, so I opened my Facebook email to send him a message.

For whatever reason, my main inbox didn't come up.  Instead, some other inbox opened with only a few emails in it.  I didn't think too much of it, as I was already composing the email to my brother in my head.  But I did notice that there were only four emails in this folder, and I knew I had more than that in my inbox.  

The first one was from someone with our same last name.  I figured it was from a relative reaching out, wanting to say hi or something.  I opened it, thinking I'd just see who it was and then get on with emailing my brother.

"Hello.  My name is... and I'm your older sister."

My mouth literally fell open as I read the rest of the email from this person claiming to be my sister.  It was a short email and she gave me her phone number, so after I paced the house about twenty times, I grabbed my phone and paced the house twenty more times.

After I looked at her pictures on Facebook and Googled and did a public records search and looked at her LinkedIn profile, because of course I did, I determined that she was a real person and she seemed legit.  So with my heart pounding, I dialed her number.

Voicemail picked up.  WHEW. I left a perfectly ridiculous message with all sorts of stuttering and managed to give her my number.  Then I resumed pacing the house, randomly grabbing my phone and being on edge waiting for her to call me back.

Drew had gone to a bachelor party in the Poconos the night before, and he'd stayed the night so he didn't get home until a few hours later.  "I'm really sorry you're hung over and tired but I've been sitting on this since this morning and I REALLY need to tell you something."  Mind you, I was barely pregnant as well, so I'm sure he was bracing himself for the absolute worst.  I told him and he was like "WHOA."  "I KNOW RIGHT!!!"

A few hours later, the phone rang.  It was her.

Holy.  EFF.

We ended up talking for over an hour, with her telling me her life story.  When my dad was in his early 20s and in the military, he came home once and met her mom and sparks flew.  They   hooked up and hung out for a minute, but then he had to go back overseas.  She ended up pregnant, reached out to him and told him.  He came home and married her in the chapel at the military base and they were married for two years. (!!!)

However, he started acting like, well, him, and her mom couldn't take it and divorced him.  After that, they went their separate ways and that was that.  There was no support or visitation or anything and my father went on to pretend it never happened.

But this isn't about my father - I'll get to him later.  This is about my sister.  

As in, okay you're my sister.  Now what?

She's nine years older than I am.  She and I have both lived quite full lives without each other and I haven't the first clue how to proceed.  Many of you have been so positive about it, and see this as a blessing, but to be honest I'm not so sure.

I mean, we're strangers as are my 22 year old nephew and 19 year old niece.  We're going on vacation to Hilton Head next month and that's within driving distance from her and when I told her that, she was super quick to be like We'll be there.  I about fainted.  She wants to meet?!  Next month?!  I'm not ready!

I'm barely wrapping around my head around this gigantic lie my parents told me, because oh yeah BOTH of them knew about this, and I'll get to my mom later.

She seems like a nice person, I mean whatever you can determine from such a major phone conversation but I just don't know what our first step should be.  She's in such a different place in her life and had a completely different upbringing than I did and who knows if we have anything in common.  I mean, I feel more sisterly towards my cousin.  I talk to her almost every day and I just don't see myself getting to that place with this other person.  I mean, I can't even say 'sister' without feeling all kinds of weird.  Interestingly, I'm ten years older than my cousin but we have a ton in common, which is more of a testimony to my immaturity than anything else.

Which is a whole other thing.  I don't do well with strangers.  I'm set in my ways, I have strong thoughts and opinions on things and it's just all-around harder to make friends when you're older.  And while we have the same dad, that doesn't mean that we're going to be automatic BFFs.  I have her email address, because again, I do better with the written word, but I haven't emailed her because what the heck do I say?  What's your favorite color?  What do you do for fun?  Sorry my/our dad is such a dick but really, you lucked out not having him in your life?

That's probably not appropriate.  SEE!  I don't know how to do this!

At any rate, we're going to meet each other next month and I'm going to do my best to eek out at least one email before then, awkward and stuttery or not.  I'm trying to tell myself that she's a regular person who puts her pants on the same way I do, that we're both innocent parties in this great effed-up train wreck of a story.  

It could turn out to be a blessing, or like many of you have said, it might not work out.  Even though we have a bond, that alone is definitely not enough to build a relationship.  There might just be too much distance and time between us to make it work.

I guess only time will tell.  Now if only I can figure out what to say to her in this email.  I already feel guilty that she probably thinks I'm avoiding her, which is an awesome feeling.  A complete stranger is making me feel guilty for not doing better.

Just like an older sister.

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. I've just gotta say--you do perfectly fine with strangers :) Having met you--and you know, we were strangers basically, you made me feel comfortable and I thought we had a really easy-going time :) That being said, I understand your hesitations...but she's the older sister, so (being a younger sister), I say, just let her lead. HAHAHA. kidding, a little. Thanks for sharing all this! I'm sure it was totally shocking, but you're handling it well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away for a couple days and I'm playing major catch-up.... I can't believe how much is going on in your life and in your head right now! I don't have much advice about the Baby Fist-Pump. Just know that I am praying for him or her, and I'm praying for you. The sibling thing is right up my alley kind of. I found out I had much older siblings when I was 8, but now, at 31, they are just choosing to have a relationship with me. They're all "Let's be friends because we're family!" and I'm all like "I've been an only child for 31 years and really don't feel like being bothered with you." But I decided to be open and try to humor them and see what happens. They're still my father's children (not my siblings YET). But I'm trying. Which is all you can do. THe thing about my sibs, though, is that they're less than 15 minutes away from me, and my parents are still married, so I see them on holidays and stuff. It's complicated, but I said all that to say this: It might not work out. But then again, it might. Time has a way of solving problems we can't fathom solving ourselves. Just give it time. Let it pan out. You might be surprised. But what do you have to lose?

    You are great. You're strong and amazing and expressive. You can get through anything that comes your way, and you've proven your strength time and time again. This will be yet another experience to add to the long list of your amazing. No worries!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think either of you really know how to proceed. I'm sure it's just as awkward/uncomfortabl/weird/anxiety provoking for her too and she was the one that reached out to you! Just be you and if you two click then great. If not, that's ok too. She is an innocent person trying to fill a void she has probably carried with her for an entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D. Seriously. I can't even believe this is real. This is why people read your blog. You want a synopsis of my blog lately:

    "I drive carpool. Kids growing up. I run so I can pretend I am not old. I drink wine." The end. BORING.

    But you.....you have stories my friend! I am about to set a text notification to hit my phone and wake me up at any hour when you update. Because...DAMN. Okay, now on to the issue. A sister. A total stranger. Want my advice that you did not ask for? Go into it with no expectations and pray, of course. This could go a lot of different directions but there's no right or wrong outcome. If you don't like her or don't want her in your life, that is okay. If you like her, you make a new friend. Maybe she shares some of your fabulousness.

    As for your family...try really hard to offer them the same grace/mercy/forgiveness that you would want Sofia to give you if she disagreed with anything about your life. That whole situation was not about you. Was it right? Was it wrong? Not for anyone else to decide. You have a beautiful life, sister. Don't miss the forest through the trees.

    Love ya friend. Thank you for sharing your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt she thinks you're avoiding her. Like you said, you put on your pants the same way - which probably mean that she's also having a LOT of stuff to process in her head, just like you. Just be upfront with her - if you're not ready to meet IRL - tell her that. Say I'm sorry, but I need time to wrap my head around all of this. Let's take it slow getting to know one another and see how this goes. Pushing out of your comfort zone isn't a bad thing, but it also isn't necessary to do something out of a sense of obligation or guilt instead of a desire to actually get to know her better.

    I love what the commenter above me said - the whole "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" philosophy becomes even more powerful when you think about your own future and Sophia maybe not agreeing with every choice you make in life! Just start with love and respect -- for others AND for yourself -- and you'll be okay!

    Good luck - I'm sure you'll have many more twists and turns on this crazy journey, but at least the first steps have been taken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be yourself up, it is perfectly normal to feel all the things you're feeling giving the situation. I am one of seven daughters my parents have and there have been times where we didn't get along, or I wanted to kill'em but they've always been there for me, supported me and loved me. Even though you are sisters you are still strangers and you go about building a relationship the same way, start slow and build. In your email be honest with your feelings I am sure she has some weird feelings too. Then again she has been raised as an only child so she may be excited as all get out to have siblings and found them. Since she reached out to you, I have a feeling she is excited, happy, and looking forwarded to having a sister. Whatever you say I believe that she will be receptive because this is all so sudden for both of you and she had to anticipate your being shocked, pissed, happy, mad or sad. I love being and having s sisters I will be praying for the best out come, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get why you're nervous and weirded out about this. It's completely overwhelming and crazy! Did I tell you that my mom's birth family reached out to me? I never did anything. NOTHING. I feel bad about it, but it's proof that I get where you're coming from. I think meeting her at least once will be good for you... you'll know. And worst case scenario... you two don't click and it's over. But what if you do click? That might be cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This is crazy. FB is something, right?

    Ok, so how about this- what if you took the whole "sister" title out of it and meet her as a friend first. Don't expect to immediately have this connection because you guys share blood because (as I e-mailed you about my situation), that doesn't always mean anything.

    Perhaps if you took the title off, it'll relieve some pressure off of the situation? *cocks head* Maybe? yes?

    At any rate, I'm proud of you for even trying girlie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I kinda have to agree with Katie, up top. She's the older sister and SHE contacted YOU.... just let her take the lead on this thing. You shouldn't feel bad, I think she'll completely understand how thrown you were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's ok to be nervous...its a odd situation. But take it easy and one day at a time. It's hard enough to make friends as adults...much less feel sisterly towards someone! Maybe you like her, maybe you don't...just meet her and see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Take your time. Only do what you're ready to do ** baby steps **. Don't rush into anything. I'm guessing she's known about you for a while. You're just beginning to process this new huge change to everything you've ever known. I'm sure she'll understand. Be open to whatever happens. Maybe it will work out! Maybe it wont! But at least you won't say "what would have happend if you'd given her a shot". love you!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin