Tuesday, April 6, 2010

His eye is on the sparrow - and the trees too

Today was better than yesterday, so at least there's that.  The bleeding is slowing to a trickle, for which I am exceedingly thankful.  I had nightmares visions of bleeding for a month straight and I'm so glad it's slowing down within a reasonable time.  Drew is gone for the week and I actually think that might help things.  Not that I want him gone by any stretch of the imagination but I think the alone time will be good for the healing process.


Drew really has been great.  He took over all household duties for the past couple of days, even cooking Easter dinner for us.
 We set the timer and took a picture of the two of us but he looked evil and I looked like I hadn't showered in days.  Which I hadn't. The food looks much better.  We had amazing roast turkey and brussel sprouts with 
rosemary potatoes and pineapple - which was surprisingly good.
Yes baby, you did a good job with the potatoes and pineapple.  I'm sorry I doubted you. 
You are a culinary genius.  For real - I'm not being funny.  Thank you for making dinner.
Oh yeah, I can drink wine now.  Again, I mean.

Maya and her Easter dinner.
1.5 seconds later.

I've discovered that it's really hard to be down and hate life and shake your fist at the sky in the springtime.  You have to be made of stone not to be moved by the budding flowers pushing through the ground and the fragrance of the flowers that are in full bloom.  There's something about the trees and flowers that calms and quiets my soul.  Because of this, I've spent much of the past four days outside, mostly in our 'new' backyard.
The backyard last May, shortly after we moved in.  
The landscapers moved so quickly I couldn't get true 'before' shots but the grass had gotten much more sparse since then and desperately needed help.
The backyard after.
These guys got moved and in their place will be my vegetable garden.
I'm going to see if I can grow strawberries, tomatoes, peppers and whatever else 
I can fit in this space.
In their new home, nicely filling in that bald spot.  
I can't wait till the ground cover matures!

They transplanted some other shrubs and ground cover which left room for six magnolia trees.  We got them for a steal!  At the nursery, they were $130 each - no way we were paying that much but I loved the idea of magnolia trees.  They're so Southern!  Well, it just so happened that our landscaper had just done a job where they had to pull up seven magnolia trees and when he offered to give them to us for just $50 a piece, he was hired on the spot!  Coincidence?  I think not.
My six steel magnolias.  
In these pictures, you can sort of see how bad the grass had gotten.

Our rose bushes bloomed too - Drew pruned them and brought them inside and made bouquets for me.  I took pictures of all of them and made a new header so you can enjoy them too!  I've got them placed all around the house and they have done so much to lift my spirits.

Today, the dog was going insane begging for a walk and with Drew gone, I sort of had to leave the backyard.   So, for the first time since we've had the dog I grabbed my iPod for our walk.  Why it had never occurred to me before, I have no idea - it's not like she was going to talk to me!  I chose some chill yoga music and we set off.

With the soft and gentle music in my ears and the dog walking calmly beside me, I just took in the neighborhood.  There are two flowering trees on either side of our house in our neighbors' yards.  I thought they were lilacs but I just googled them and they don't have the same flowers, so I don't know what they are.  Whatever they were, I bent down to each one and inhaled my biggest breath.  You just can't be sad when you're smelling flowers.
As soon as I step out my front door I can smell them.
Two houses to the left - they're so lucky!
Coming in close for a sniff.
Another one a couple blocks away.
This tree really moved me.  I'll explain in a second.  But for now, just notice how it's all protected with bark near the base but as it gets taller the bark falls away.
At the very top, there's almost no bark left.

Okay, so here's where I get deep-thinking and emotional and possibly weird and maybe I lose you.  Feel free to stop reading here, but I'm going to keep writing because I sort of have to.  Because I'll kinda go nuts if I don't.

So, the tree.  I kind of identified with this tree.  How at the base it has bark, as maybe a sort of protection.  And as the tree gets taller/older the bark/protection begins to fall away, leaving the tree 'exposed.'  Maybe that's not ideal but maybe the tree wouldn't be able to grow if it didn't give up/lose its bark.  As the tree gets older, more and more bark/protection falls away and it has to grow regardless.  No matter how much it hurts to have your protection/innocence taken from you.    

No matter how much you'd prefer to just stay small and protected so that nothing would ever hurt you or get taken away from you.  No matter how much each piece of bark that gets stripped away hurts all over again just like it's the first time.  Maybe the tree had a conversation with God and was all, 'So, I'd really prefer to keep my bark and not have to lose any pieces of it.  Ever.  I like my bark and would like to keep all of it.  What do you say?'  And then maybe God was like, 'I'm so sorry.' And then maybe the tree was like, 'Aw, come on, please?  It sucks losing my bark, I don't like it and it makes me cry.  Please can't I just keep it?  I don't like growing without my bark - I need it.  I can't grow without it.' And then maybe God was like, 'Yes you can.  Please just trust me.'

Yet when you look up at that super tall tree, you notice that's there are only little bits of bark at the very top and the tree is doing just fine.  

How do you explain that you feel like those naked branches, raw and exposed?  How do you explain that you fervently hope that you'll have the strength and courage to stand tall when you really just wish you were covered with bark so you remain protected from all things?  I may or may not have wrapped my arms around that tree and cried, hoping that no one came walking by because how do you explain that you're hugging a tree because you understand that growth doesn't always come on your terms, that it can be horribly painful to lose something you really want yet in the end, with time, you will stand tall with your face to the sun?  

I headed home with the gentle yoga music in my ears, still crying but feeling a little more comforted in my soul.


9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post... I think your interpretation of the tree is spot on!

    I love spring (besides it's beautiful effects on my now puffy red eyes, stopped up/runny-howcanyouhaveboth- nose, etc.).... Spring just makes everything prettier and easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the flowers at the top of your page! Absolutely beautiful - it instantly made me smile! I too love fresh flowers around the house! You are right that it is hard to be sad with all that beauty surrounding you :) Your spring flowers have inspired me to post some of the "signs" of spring around here...however, KC is WAY behind Dallas in the blooming dept!

    Just wanted to tell you that I SO admire your strength Desiree & being able to share what you are going through with us all is so honest & encouraging to others. Thank you for that. Glad to hear you are starting to heal & move forward. You have been in my thoughts & prayers daily!

    Can't wait to get to see you in a couple of weeks & hug you!

    HT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the "Please just trust me." It is so true. It's hard for me to let go of the things that happen, but they do happen for a reason I guess. I just have to trust, and go on. Thank you for putting that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear life is moving forward for you. The back yard looks fantastic and Easter dinner looked wonderful (hello grilled brussel spouts! My new favorite thing!)

    Also, those blooming trees look like Wisteria. Beautiful aren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desiree thank you for this post. I have been having a really bad day/week/month/year and almost started crying at work because I was really down, then started thinking about the future and started chatting with my husband about our plans and felt better. Then I read your post.

    Girrrrllll when we get a house you are going to be my Garden Whisperer I love what you've done. I've always wanted rose bushes! Are they difficult to care for? I love the new header. You simply must find out what those other flowering trees are; lovely!

    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Seriously.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunny - Drew can totally sympathize with you. His eyes have been practically swollen shut for the past two weeks because of allergies!

    HT - Geez girl you're making me blush! I'm glad you think I'm strong, I feel like a whiny baby whimpering in the corner. I like your version of me much better. :-)

    Lu - Letting go and trusting is soooo much easier said than done but you just kinda don't have any other choice you know? Even if you want to pick door number 2.

    Kristina - Remember when we first 'met' and you totally were able to tell me what my plants were. You know EVERYTHING! They ARE wisteria!

    Gem - Keep your head up girl and lean on your man - they can take it. Now, I can't take any credit for the rose bushes - they were here when we moved in and our neighbor is a rose expert so we just do what he tells us.

    And I'd like to think that I share what I'm going through so you don't make the same mistakes I've made, or if I do something right you can do it too and reap the benefits.

    Meeting people like all of you that read my blog are what's right with the Internet! For realz!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Desiree,
    I know you don't really know me other than i'm an online person going through similar trials and tribulations. But I wanted you to know that this was beautiful. I had chills up and down my spine. Just wanted to send you big ((hugs))
    Also, I adore your yard and am so jealous! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your 6 steel magnolias. beautiful!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sunny - Drew can totally sympathize with you. His eyes have been practically swollen shut for the past two weeks because of allergies!

    HT - Geez girl you're making me blush! I'm glad you think I'm strong, I feel like a whiny baby whimpering in the corner. I like your version of me much better. :-)

    Lu - Letting go and trusting is soooo much easier said than done but you just kinda don't have any other choice you know? Even if you want to pick door number 2.

    Kristina - Remember when we first 'met' and you totally were able to tell me what my plants were. You know EVERYTHING! They ARE wisteria!

    Gem - Keep your head up girl and lean on your man - they can take it. Now, I can't take any credit for the rose bushes - they were here when we moved in and our neighbor is a rose expert so we just do what he tells us.

    And I'd like to think that I share what I'm going through so you don't make the same mistakes I've made, or if I do something right you can do it too and reap the benefits.

    Meeting people like all of you that read my blog are what's right with the Internet! For realz!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Desiree,
    I know you don't really know me other than i'm an online person going through similar trials and tribulations. But I wanted you to know that this was beautiful. I had chills up and down my spine. Just wanted to send you big ((hugs))
    Also, I adore your yard and am so jealous! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your 6 steel magnolias. beautiful!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin