Friday, April 16, 2010

Hostess with the most-ess

I have lofty ideas of being a Martha Stewart/B. Smith-esque type of hostess.  I dream of having fresh flowers everywhere to greet my guests, fragrant and tasty food warming the oven and making the house smell lovely, even being well-dressed and gracious at every turn, thinking of everything so my guests want for nothing.


Then I wake up.  Usually because the dog has tracked mud through the freshly-mopped kitchen.


Drew's parents are in town for the week and then we head to Kansas City for our reception.  Drew couldn't get out of his meetings so it's been just the three of us for the past couple of days. I won't lie and say that I was looking forward to being alone with his parents.  They are beautiful wonderful people who like me and I like them so it wasn't that.  I was just terrified at the prospect of entertaining them by myself for two days.  I knew I wasn't up to the task, no matter my lofty dreams!  I had every intention of googling all sorts of fabulous recipes to make prior to their arrival, I looked up all the activities Dallas had to offer and I cleaned my house top to bottom.  That's where I messed up.


Cleaning the house when you have a dog AND have hardwood floors is especially frustrating because no matter how much you sweep, vacuum and mop you will never ever EVER get rid of all the dog hair.  Never.  Not for as long as you live.  EVER.


Yet I tried.  I simply had to get every last hair because if I didn't they might judge me!  I was  vacuuming all the dog hair underneath the sofa with Maya behind me, standing there shedding.  I barely stopped myself from putting the hose directly on her.  Because that would be crazy.  Plus, I couldn't get her to stand still long enough - I think she knew what I was trying to do.  I stressed myself out so badly that when they finally arrived, the adrenaline got to me and I was exhausted as soon as we walked in the door.  I had physically given up - judge me if you want, I tried.  


Of course, they are not even the tiniest bit judgmental - not even a little bit!  They are such sweet, genuinely caring people that it wouldn't matter to them if the house was a complete pigsty.  His dad even brought me fruit snacks!  I was so touched - that he read my blog and that he did something so incredibly thoughtful!!  They also brought treats for the dog - which of course made them her best friends.  She is loving all the attention and won't let either of them out of her sight.  His mom also gave me the most beautiful necklace!
To remind me the angels are watching over me

Once Drew gets home, we're going to do a little sight-seeing.  I'm excited to visit the Fort Worth Zoo and we're taking them to the gardens where we got married.  Drew got his love of cooking from his dad who is also a wonderful cook, so I'm most excited about the home cooking!  

I don't know what I was worried about - they're wonderful!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh em gee, they are so sweet... and that necklace is absolutely beautiful. I want one just like it now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your in-laws. Tell them they have the Original Diva stamp of approval! LOL

    Oh how I miss the Fort Worth zoo!!! I wish I was going too. LOL

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin