Thursday, April 8, 2010

Wash and go with a twist

I can't be all pain and wallowing and self-pity and crying around here.  It's a good way to go crazy, so I guess it's a good thing I had a good hair day right?  A bad hair day would have been the straw that broke the camel's back. 


So, my hair has gotten too long to do much else with it besides a wash and go, illustrated here.  My hair isn't as tightly curly as Teri's, which means I battle with my ends that go stick straight without some help from the rollers.  I can scrunch all day long but as my hair dries, the ends just stretch out and go limp.  But back to the length - check this out y'all!
Easter 2009 - My head was tilted back just a bit making my hair look longer but it was just past  armpit length, not quite bra-strap length.  This was my attempt at a twist and curl and I quickly realized that it would take twelve thousand hours to dry, thus the fuzziness.  
 A closer look at the length and fuzz.  I think I was drunk by this point because I have no idea who that guy is.  Everyone becomes your friend when you whip out the camera.
4th of July 2009 - a little fuzzy from being at the lake all day but a little longer
October 2009 - Juuuust past bra-strap length.  Nothing but wash and goes by this point.

I experimented with doing a wash and go AND a twist and curl and I've been pleased.  I get more height and definition at the crown and hairline and the curls stay more defined longer.  The first time I did it I washed my hair around seven in the evening, putting it in four two-strand twists when I went to bed around 11, which meant my hair was mostly dry but not 100%.  I really liked it so I decided to try it again and take pictures this time.
I defined the individual curls and then put them in the two-strand twists, securing them at the top with duckbill clips.
Twist size.  Curly Nikki does something like 20 twists on her hair and the first time I did that I looked like I had a bad 80s perm.  My hair likes four twists, no more no less.
 
I love love LOVE Moroccan Oil!  It smells so sexy and exotic and I wish they made body lotion and perfume.  For the wash and go twist I put it on my ends, put end papers around them and rolled them up in rollers. My twitchy finger inadvertently erased that picture - booo!

Remember my braid-out fail?  And how I was complaining how hard it was to take pictures of my hair without looking like an idiot?  I swear on everything y'all, it JUST occurred to me this past Monday to put my camera somewhere and set the timer.  I'm so slow.
My very first self-portrait.  
Skin's not so fluorescent this time - note to self:  always take pictures in natural light!
I tried so hard to muster a smile but this was as close as I could come.
I gave up and just started looking away from the camera - this is about the hair anyway.
Check out how long my hair has gotten!  And check out the nearly straight ends - some of them complied but the other ones just did their own thing.
The curls aren't uniform spirals because of the wash and go part but I kinda like the messiness.  And I love the height at the hairline.  When I do the twists I do a rough part down the middle but when I take it down I do a side part so I get more height.  More height = distraction from the lightbulb forehead since I can't really do bangs to cover it.
The biggest challenge for me with a wash and go is flatness and 
straight hair at the hairline and crown.  This fixes that!
See what I mean?  
I'm constantly sliding my fingers in at the scalp and lifting it, praying for height.
Granted, this was straight out of the shower but if I don't do anything with it, it will stay this way.  Flat and sad with a lightbulb forehead.
Feb 2010 - my hands are at my waist. 
 And yes, those are ice-skating penguins.  My mommy has a matching pair and they're awesome!  

Until just now, I didn't realize how quickly my hair had grown and it's pretty cool what can happen when you leave your hair alone and just let it grow.  I'm debating whether or not to get a haircut to shape it since it's been over a year.  I like my hair better when it's got some layers and shape to it but I'm so scared to jinx the progress I've made.

My next challenge is trying to figure out why I'm getting scalp scabs.  I don't use heat, I don't scratch my head so fiercely I would get scabs so I don't know where they're coming from!  The other thing that's driving me crazy is split ends.  I do search-and-destroys only to find a whole new crop a month later!  Is that normal?  At least my curly hair hides them - they still piss me off though.

What about y'all?  Do you have hair pictures on your computer?  Do you have one of those length-check t-shirts?  Do you google 'scalp scabs' or other equally annoying hair challenges?  

And a big huge giant hug to all of you who have read my last few posts and commented.  No freakin lie y'all, you guys are a huge part of why I'm putting one foot in front of the other and still breathing.  Anytime you're having a bad day and thinking that what you do doesn't matter and no one cares, please remind yourself 'Desiree is massively appreciative of my presence and because I said something to her, because I reached out she feels better and that is MAJOR and that matters.'

Because it does and because you do.  You guys are awesome.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Desiree,

    I stumbled upon your blog from a Bump message board, and just wanted to tell you that I think you're a most excellent writer. I spent a lot of time yesterday reading your archives (when I should have been working, but that's besides the point), and think you are such a terrific writer.

    I just had a miscarriage (2 weeks ago), and want you to know that you're not alone. Your honest writing really spoke to me, and know that someone in New York is hoping and praying the very best for you. Thanks for making this gal feel not so alone, too. : )
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giiirrrrllll I've been in a hair rut. The front of my hair doesn't curl like the rest so if I wore a middle or side part, it looked poodle-y or even mullet-y. I started wearing my hair back in a headband (no part just straight back) and ZOMG WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I've been strutting this week like some kind of peacock-lion hybrid. STRUTTING. My mane is GLORIOUS and I don't feel like a frizzy mousy mess. I'm almost at waist length, I'll do in-depth pics in October which will be 5 years since I've gone natural.

    I'm gonna have to check this Moroccan Oil out. I am a total whore for anything Moroccan.

    Your hair looks LOVELY post 4-twist outs. Very mermaidy.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of weeks ago I decided that I wasn't going to put anymore heat on my hair for 6 months...spring and summer. It's been in a bun ever since. I just don't have the skills to do much else. My ends are always straight too but only in the front. My back is always great and has solid length....but he front is stringy and straight. I need to do a product check and change up my routine.

    Plus I'm getting a thin spot in the middle from stress. I've got hair coming out in bunches right at the crown. blech!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I have to ditto the Anonymous poster, you are a great writer and I love your blog sytle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair is so beautiful. Don't get a haircut you will regret it, my hair was like yours but I wanted to cut it a little bite to have more volume, and I washed my hair just after the salon my hair was about my shoulders. I regret it, when I see women with long hair I envy them.

    Sorry for my english I'm French.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair is as gorgeous as you are!!!!! It's freally at a beautiful length and I am with you on the messy- I hate when hair is too "styled." Plus it allows you not to freak out when someone touches it, as I know people love to do when it's so long.

    I have plenty of hair pictures, but I have short hair and no desire to grow it.. I just put one up on my blog this week, talking about how I was trying to decide what new I could do with my haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some heat damage on the lengths of my hair so I can identify. Sometimes its looks decent with A LOT of scrunching but sometimes it just looks weird. Great progress, beautiful hair!

    I love this blog. Its just so refreshing...You have a fan in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dang girl...your hair is AMAZING! i love the new style. it's flippin gorgeous and looks like it's out of a magazine! well done! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some heat damage on the lengths of my hair so I can identify. Sometimes its looks decent with A LOT of scrunching but sometimes it just looks weird. Great progress, beautiful hair!

    I love this blog. Its just so refreshing...You have a fan in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I have to ditto the Anonymous poster, you are a great writer and I love your blog sytle.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin