Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If I wasn't wearing a bra, I hope they couldn't tell

Drew's parents and I were alone for the first couple of days they were here.  I was extremely nervous because I wanted to be a good hostess and I knew quite well that just because I married their son, it didn't automatically mean that we were going to get along perfectly.  We had spent time together in New York for Christmas but that was only the second time we'd even seen each other!  When you marry into someone's family, there is this undue pressure to be instant best friend as if marriage makes you suddenly psychic and flawless.  Well, not me.  Your girl has loads of flaws!  And there's nothing like having guests in the house to make you realize just how flawed you are.


I've been out of work for four months now - well, professional, get-dressed-and-go-to-an-office work.  In March, I began doing some personal assisting work that I'm seriously thinking about expanding.  But my point is, it's been me and the dog for all that time.  This has made my social skills quite rusty.  


Take mornings for example.  I think morning routines are trickiest when you're traveling or have guests.  It's your get started time and if you don't get started right, the rest of the day is just off.  Some like their coffee and quiet time, others jump out of bed to jog every morning, rain or shine.  I have something of a morning routine.  It is as follows:  Stay quiet and move slowly until the body realizes it's awake.  In the morning, I go to the bathroom and get cleaned up and usually just putter around in the house until I'm fully awake.  I don't drink coffee and I'm not really a grouch - unless you are loud and want me to move quickly first thing in the morning.  Drew and I are still working on the routine, as he is fully awake before his feet hit the floor and expects the same from me.  Silly rabbit.  No matter when I wake up, I'm not fully functional for at least an hour regardless of how many dirty looks you give me or how many times you roll your eyes at me.


With guests in the house, I didn't feel like I could do that.  Drew's parents were angels, and made no noise and did their own thing in the morning, requesting nothing of me.  However, I didn't feel like I could putter!  I felt like an anti-social grump if I didn't come out of the bedroom before they woke up, frying bacon, squeezing the orange juice and being all Donna Reed and shit.  See!  I suck!  Donna Reed would never say 'shit'!  The second I would hear stirring I jumped out of bed, nearly killing myself because my body was all, 'Yo!  I am NOT awake enough for this nonsense!  You know the rules!  Slow yo ass down and stop all that foolishness!'   I tried my hardest - I think I made breakfast the first morning but I haven't a clue what, if anything, I talked about, whether or not I smiled, if I was nice, or frankly, if I had a bra on.  I pray to the baby Jesus I did.


I know they wouldn't have cared if I ignored them but you just can't do that when you have guests, and that's what they still were to me.  I wanted them to like me, to be comfortable, to see me on my turf and be happy at the home I'm providing for their son.  Again, I exhausted myself and once Drew came home I didn't have the energy to sustain it and I quickly reverted back to my shuffling, bleary-eyed, cave-woman self.  I'm sure they noticed, but they were too kind to mention it.  


I called Kesha and told them that I was positive that they hated me.  Drew wasn't home yet and I was sure I was going to forever be 'that woman my son married.'  However, Kesha is an angel and calmed me instantly.  'Desiree, they are probably just as afraid of you as you are of them.  They probably don't want to do anything wrong in your house, in your city and I'm sure they're just fine, they like you, they're comfortable and if something was wrong they'd let you know.  Just relax!'


She was right - I only get like this when I care and want to make a good impression.  I just didn't want them to go back home and gossip to their friends about how horrible their trip was and how uncomfortable they were.  I know that we've got the rest of our lives to get to know each other, but in-law relationships are tricky and I just want to get it right!  At any rate, I calmed down significantly and did my best to put myself in their shoes and trust that they would speak up if there was something they needed.  But I won't lie, once Drew got home I must have pulled him aside twelve thousand times asking him if  he was sure they were ok, if he was positive they didn't need anything, if he knew for a fact that they didn't hate me.  Then he got annoyed with me, and I got annoyed with him and all was right with the world. 


I know how to handle my annoyed husband - that's familiar ground!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you did great!!! and plus they read your blog, so how can they dislike you???

    I gues I'll be struggling with the same thing if and when me and my bf get married.... his family is also in another state. Although I've seen them for weekends at a time, it's not the same as if they were in the same city.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin