Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thoughts on Thursday

I've been waiting for Thursday because I have so many things in my head but none of them add up to a full post - yet.  That's the beauty of organic writing for me - when my writing is not forced, it's more authentic and I like that best.  However, I was all set to dump my Thursday thoughts and just like that, I clicked on a random blog and it was like a door opened and a full idea just grew in my head.  I love it when that happens.  But this first - link up if you wanna!


  • I know we all have jobs to do but I'm super extra over the salespeople that call our office daily.  I HATE cold calls.  "May I speak to the person who handles the toilet paper purchases for your Kentucky office?" First off, how in the hell would I know that?  Second of all, do some more research!  Don't just google our company name and call the first number you see!  My favorite is when they call for our CEO.  If you're calling the main number, you don't know him and no, you cannot speak to him. *click*
  • People have started to ask me if I'm seeeeew done with being pregnant.  Actually, no and in fact, I'm finally enjoying myself.  I'm out of the scary first trimester, I'm past the hormonal second trimester and now I'm in the zen third trimester.  I've prepared as much as I can prepare, I've asked all the questions I can ask, I've arranged all that I can arrange and now is the time to simply sit and be.  I like it and I'm in no rush to be done with it.  Now, if this were August?  In the Texas heat?  Completely different story.  I'm so blessed to have gotten pregnant in the summer so I'm delivering in the spring.
  • The maternity photo shoot was amazing!  We had a great time and the sneak peek I've seen so far is really cool!  Amy Barry is the bomb.  I can't wait to show n tell!
  • The nursery is so close to being done that I should be able to do a big reveal next week.  I'm so excited!  My only criteria in the beginning was no pink and I've had some switches and changes but I love love love how it's coming together!
  • The Dallas baby shower planning is underway.  The invitations are in the mail and I'm already so pleased and relaxed about the whole thing.  It's so much easier when it's on your turf.
  • My birthday is next week.  I don't feel 35, I don't look it and I'm not really freaking out about it.  The only thing that would be nice is if I didn't have so much gray hair.  I'm far too anal to let my roots show but I'm far too lazy to keep up with the maintenance so I don't bother with coloring it.  I'm telling myself that if Stacy London lets her gray show, then gray hair is cool.
  • I watched Glee last night - the episode with the drinking.  My kid is going to drink and I'm so annoyed by that.  I hope to remove the mystery around drinking so she won't feel the need to sneak and teach her that getting sloppy drunk is tacky and classless.  And I will NOT be one of those parents who will be like, 'it's okay as long as you do it at home.'  Hands down, the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sure honey, you can shoot up, just make sure you're where I can see you.  WTF-ever!
  • I vow to finish the thank-you cards from the Kansas shower before I leave work on Friday.  My father always said 'if you can take a gift, then you can say thank you for it.'  I'm a big believer in thank-you notes and I hate that I've let this much time pass without having them finished.  Some have already gone out but I really need to finish all of them.
  • I've never had much of a sweet tooth but I'm craving sweets lately.  Especially cake.  A vendor dropped off a Mardi Gras king cake for a person that's not in the office today.  I seriously considered not telling anyone and eating the whole thing myself.  But I didn't.  I did, however, call another person in her department and told her she had five seconds to get up here and take it before I ate it.  That's fair - although I'm peeved that they haven't shared it with me yet.  I'm about to send a guilt-filled email to her and tell her that the baby wants cake.  Not icing, not filling, I want cake.  I'm all about coffee cake and gingerbread cake.  I was in Target a couple of nights ago and got a piece of coffee cake and it was the most delicious thing I'd ever had.  There's a Starbucks within walking distance from my office.
  • Mmmmmm, coffee cake and a chai tea latte.
Update:  I sent an email saying that whenever you don't share cake, a puppy gets kicked.  
They even gave me the baby! Yay cake!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you are in the zen-trimester :-)

    As far as the drinking goes, my parents weren't big drinkers so I never really got into it. When I was about 17, my parents would often let us have parties at the house and yes, they'd let me have some peach shnapps (I was a teenage girl, so don't judge!). Their attitude was definitely that they'd rather it happen in a safe place where they wouldn't let anyone drive or get out of hand. Yes, my parents were there and they'd chat with my friends and no they didn't drink when my friends were there. They didn't pretend to be friends with my friends - they were definitely parents. But they knew it was going to happen so they would prefer keeping an eye on me and my friends.

    They also gave me one 'get out of jail free' card - if I was ever out and drinking and things got out of hand (no ride home, at a house I wasn't comfortable in, etc) they would come pick me up no questions, no getting in trouble. They figured it usually takes one good "I had no clue it would hit me like that" night before you know what is moderate. If it happened again, they would still come get me but there would be some trouble the next morning!

    Sorry that was so wordy - but I just wanted to give you an idea of how my parents did it. I never used my get out of jail free card, and I still am a very light drinker. What I did learn was that my parents loved me and I should never be too scared to call them and say "i'm in trouble/i'm drunk and don't know what to do" because that is when accidents happen.

    I'm so happy for you and your little baby - you deserve so much happiness and whatever decions you make about raising your little girl will be right because it is YOUR little girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents were so honest about alcohol and drinking, and seriously, it took all the hidden/Ohhh lets get drunk & party crap out of the equation. Having a beer/glass of wine was no mystery to any of us. None of their 4 kids EVER cared to abuse alcohol. Ever. I like a drink here & there, I totally do. But the urge to get sick-drunk? Meh. Not even remotely up my alley.

    So I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new follower! I saw you over at Carolyn's Thoughts on Thursday! You have a great blog, and Congrats!! That King Cake should have been yours. Baby gets dibs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think being open and honest is the way to go with your kids to keep them from doing all kinds of stuff, including the drinking. Growing up, I never had a drink before turning 21 and I have no clue how my parents kept me away from it.. maybe it was that I never saw my mama take a drink and I remember my nutty dad (because dad's are so much more lenient) allowing me to take a swig of beer from his can as a little girl and it was so gross I NEVER wanted to do it again.

    I can't wait to see your finished pics and I can't wait until I'm at the stage were me and my husband take them.

    I'm with you on the no pink!!! whatever I have, boy or girl, I need us to stay away from those stereotypical colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I gotta ask, what does 35 look like anyway? Hell what does any age look like for that matter? Lol I just turned 30 and no one ever believes me when I tell them my age. They say " you look soo much younger than that." I know that's a compliment to my genes so its all good lol.

    I'm glad you've gotten into your grove with this pregnancy. Enjoy the rest of it if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been going crazy for sweets too!!! It was really back for the first three weeks of february and is kind of calming down now, but was weird b/c I'm not really that much of a sweets person usually.

    Congrats on all the progress with the shower and nursery and all of that. I look forward to the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for playing! :)

    You should have eaten that cake. Get away with stuff like that while you can blame it on the cravings! HAHAHAHA

    I want to see maternity photos please. Just saying.

    I can't wait for nursery pics either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it weird that I don't know you but I am so happy for you. I am so glad that everything is coming together. Jackie-Houston

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for playing! :)

    You should have eaten that cake. Get away with stuff like that while you can blame it on the cravings! HAHAHAHA

    I want to see maternity photos please. Just saying.

    I can't wait for nursery pics either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are in the zen-trimester :-)

    As far as the drinking goes, my parents weren't big drinkers so I never really got into it. When I was about 17, my parents would often let us have parties at the house and yes, they'd let me have some peach shnapps (I was a teenage girl, so don't judge!). Their attitude was definitely that they'd rather it happen in a safe place where they wouldn't let anyone drive or get out of hand. Yes, my parents were there and they'd chat with my friends and no they didn't drink when my friends were there. They didn't pretend to be friends with my friends - they were definitely parents. But they knew it was going to happen so they would prefer keeping an eye on me and my friends.

    They also gave me one 'get out of jail free' card - if I was ever out and drinking and things got out of hand (no ride home, at a house I wasn't comfortable in, etc) they would come pick me up no questions, no getting in trouble. They figured it usually takes one good "I had no clue it would hit me like that" night before you know what is moderate. If it happened again, they would still come get me but there would be some trouble the next morning!

    Sorry that was so wordy - but I just wanted to give you an idea of how my parents did it. I never used my get out of jail free card, and I still am a very light drinker. What I did learn was that my parents loved me and I should never be too scared to call them and say "i'm in trouble/i'm drunk and don't know what to do" because that is when accidents happen.

    I'm so happy for you and your little baby - you deserve so much happiness and whatever decions you make about raising your little girl will be right because it is YOUR little girl :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin